2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

2 hours ago, PearSorbet17 said:

I arrive in Phoenix at 8:20 am. With luggage and car rental, can I make to my 10:54 am tee time at Quintero comfortably?  Thanks. 

Honestly I would think you would have a 50/50 shot at making that tee time, at best. Everything would have to go right for you to make it to be honest. I personally wouldn't attempt it. See if they have something an hour or two later. 

Wow I'm 2 weeks away from my trip and have to book the rest of my golf but here are the plans: 

Nov 7:

- Just explore or hit up a driving range due to airport arrival time.

Nov 8:

- Fitting at Ping HQ - 10am done latest at 1pm.

- Maybe try for a 1:30-2pm tee time, I know full 18 will be a stretch. Looking at TPC Champions ($125) or Legend Trail ($72). Legend Trail may be the better choice cause I don't mind paying that and getting in 16.

Nov 9: 

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro - morning tee time booked. 

Nov 10

- Not sure yet bite the bullet and play Troon North just not sure if Monument or Pinnacle. OR play something else that @puttnforthe8 or anyone else has suggested lately. It is pay day that morning 😂

Edit: and sorry if I keep bugging you guy. 

Edited by MattM97
  • Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

17 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Wow I'm 2 weeks away from my trip and have to book the rest of my golf but here are the plans: 

Nov 7:

Nov 8:

- Maybe try for a 1:30-2pm tee time, I know full 18 will be a stretch. Looking at TPC Champions ($125) or Legend Trail ($72). Legend Trail may be the better choice cause I don't mind paying that and getting in 16.

Nov 9: 

Nov 10

- Not sure yet bite the bullet and play Troon North just not sure if Monument or Pinnacle. OR play something else that @puttnforthe8 or anyone else has suggested lately. It is pay day that morning 😂

This looks a great trip and makes me smile as has a lot of similarities to a trip I made a few years back. The key difference was I landed at Phoenix at about 7PM after a 13 hour flight from the UK, checked into a hotel 5 minutes away from Ping HQ, collected the new set of custom irons and wedges I had pre-ordered through Discount Dans from Ping at 7AM the following morning and teed off at Scottsdale National (Golf Club of Scottsdale then) at 9AM. Enjoy!

14 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Nov 7:

Nov 8:

Nov 9: 

Nov 10

Excellent.  Couple of new updates in the conditions page you can review.  I played Quintero and it was in pretty nice shape - so you can consider that for the 10th too.  Bonneville played Legend and said the greens were a bit bumpy but fws were good and it will be off CPO.  

For your arrival day - I would keep looking on Golfnow for a late afternoon tee time at like Talking Stick or Longbow - I actually saw a few around $50.  These courses include range balls.  You could hit balls and then go play 9.  I say that because most ranges that have balls on the range charge up to $30 and even large buckets are starting to get up in price.  Something to consider.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

This looks a great trip and makes me smile as has a lot of similarities to a trip I made a few years back. The key difference was I landed at Phoenix at about 7PM after a 13 hour flight from the UK, checked into a hotel 5 minutes away from Ping HQ, collected the new set of custom irons and wedges I had pre-ordered through Discount Dans from Ping at 7AM the following morning and teed off at Scottsdale National (Golf Club of Scottsdale then) at 9AM. Enjoy!

Thanks trying to make it enjoyable and memorable as a solo golf trip. 

9 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Excellent.  Couple of new updates in the conditions page you can review.  I played Quintero and it was in pretty nice shape - so you can consider that for the 10th too.  Bonneville played Legend and said the greens were a bit bumpy but fws were good and it will be off CPO.  

For your arrival day - I would keep looking on Golfnow for a late afternoon tee time at like Talking Stick or Longbow - I actually saw a few around $50.  These courses include range balls.  You could hit balls and then go play 9.  I say that because most ranges that have balls on the range charge up to $30 and even large buckets are starting to get up in price.  Something to consider.

Noted I keep getting suggestions on my Instagram page for several courses so just have to book something. But may look into something else.

Honestly right now Troon North is looking expensive, I know it's that time of year but it's $337 plus tax plus 30% once I exchange the currency so that's an expensive round, that's 1/2 of a new driver for me. So may go with some other options. Someone suggested Wildfire which is about $100 cheaper for a 1:00pm tee time.

I just looked at Quintero and for singles you can only book 4 days in advance and on the 10th they only have times after 1pm so may not get everything in. 

I will definitely look at GolfNow for Talking Stick, I'm staying right there and a bucket and 9 I would not complain about. The CPO I don't mind I've walked majority of my rounds this year and my fat a** needs more steps in. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

My tee times are booked!!!

Here is what I have booked:

Tuesday November 7th

- Land & Explore, maybe find a GolfNow Deal. Will probably just explore and check out a few shops.

Wednesday November 8th

- Ping PLD Fitting 10am

- Camelback Padre 1pm

or

- TPC Championship 2pm

Thursday November 9th

- WeKoPa Saguaro

Friday November 10th

- Troon North - Pinnacle

I'll have to cancel either Camelback Padre or TPC Championship. The price difference is like $10 but I'd be able to get in 18 at Camelback no problem just won't have much warm up time after my fitting but I'll be moving around there and Padre doesn't look too punishing. Figured would be a good warm up for WeKoPa and Troon North.

Troon is a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay but I'm not paying for a hotel as my rationale lol. I was considering Greyhawk as it was "cheaper" but a friend that travels often said play Troon this time then do Greyhawk next time.

So I guess that's my trip, now for that day to come, just have a work trip in a remote location I have to tackle first before this which I'm hoping goes smoothly.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I'll have to cancel either Camelback Padre or TPC Championship. The price difference is like $10 but I'd be able to get in 18 at Camelback no problem just won't have much warm up time after my fitting but I'll be moving around there and Padre doesn't look too punishing. Figured would be a good warm up for WeKoPa and Troon North.

... If it is a warm up round and you really don't care, Padre will work. But it is probably my least favorite "premium" course and imo it is a muni and not a very good muni at that. No real identity, wanders in and out of houses and other than the par 3 8th and par 5 18th not a single memorable hole. It is only 30 miles from my house and I would rather pay $32 to play Aguila that's 4 miles away than drive up to Padre and play for free. To be fair it isn't a horrible course, just a little below average in every way. 

... TPC Championship is just an infinitely better course. And the rest of your trip looks great! 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If it is a warm up round and you really don't care, Padre will work. But it is probably my least favorite "premium" course and imo it is a muni and not a very good muni at that. No real identity, wanders in and out of houses and other than the par 3 8th and par 5 18th not a single memorable hole. It is only 30 miles from my house and I would rather pay $32 to play Aguila that's 4 miles away than drive up to Padre and play for free. To be fair it isn't a horrible course, just a little below average in every way. 

... TPC Championship is just an infinitely better course. And the rest of your trip looks great! 

It will be about 2 weeks since I've played a round when I get to Arizona, I'll do a simulator session before I go just to see if I remember how to swing a club. But that Wednesday with my fitting at 10am and the time change I'm kinda hand tied with getting 18 in unless you think I can play 18 starting at 2pm on Championship? Right now it's me an a twosome it looks like so if they want to motor I'll motor.

If not I'll stick with Padre I can cancel all my rounds.

I did look at Aguila and I can't book that far in advance, maybe on the Tuesday when I land if I have time.

It's so many options, so little time and only so much money.

Lefty - WITB Thread

18 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

It will be about 2 weeks since I've played a round when I get to Arizona, I'll do a simulator session before I go just to see if I remember how to swing a club. But that Wednesday with my fitting at 10am and the time change I'm kinda hand tied with getting 18 in unless you think I can play 18 starting at 2pm on Championship? Right now it's me an a twosome it looks like so if they want to motor I'll motor.

If not I'll stick with Padre I can cancel all my rounds.

... We finished yesterday at 6:05 and it was pretty dark and the groups behind us drove by while we were in the fairway. I am guessing around 6pm is the latest you can still see the ball. That's a 4 hour round and doable at TPC but of course not a guarantee. Even playing the same course 3 or 4 days a week all winter, every day is a crap shoot with 3:40 to 5 hrs a possibility. Thankfully usually around 4-4:15. If you decide on Padre the good news is all the rest of the courses will be even better! 🥳

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... We finished yesterday at 6:05 and it was pretty dark and the groups behind us drove by while we were in the fairway. I am guessing around 6pm is the latest you can still see the ball. That's a 4 hour round and doable at TPC but of course not a guarantee. Even playing the same course 3 or 4 days a week all winter, every day is a crap shoot with 3:40 to 5 hrs a possibility. Thankfully usually around 4-4:15. If you decide on Padre the good news is all the rest of the courses will be even better! 🥳

Yeah even starting at 1pm at Padre I could be finished at 6pm depending on who's in front of me so both are a gamble. But on the other hand if my fitting goes long I won't be rushed going to TPC and if it finishes early I can grab food and have a proper warm up.

Oh decision, decision....I might stick with TPC, I know I'll be checking the time often and don't want to feel like I missed out on a few things in my fitting at Ping.

I can also keep looking at times.

Lefty - WITB Thread

20 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Yeah even starting at 1pm at Padre I could be finished at 6pm depending on who's in front of me so both are a gamble. But on the other hand if my fitting goes long I won't be rushed going to TPC and if it finishes early I can grab food and have a proper warm up.

Oh decision, decision....I might stick with TPC, I know I'll be checking the time often and don't want to feel like I missed out on a few things in my fitting at Ping.

I can also keep looking at times.

... I play 4 to 5 times a week and I find anything over 4.5 hours pretty rare and always a group or two clogging up the rest of the course. We don't have rangers at twilite on my home courses but Padre and TPC certainly will, so my guess is 4 to 4.5. 

49 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I play 4 to 5 times a week and I find anything over 4.5 hours pretty rare and always a group or two clogging up the rest of the course. We don't have rangers at twilite on my home courses but Padre and TPC certainly will, so my guess is 4 to 4.5. 

Yeah decisions, decisions on that one but if TPC will be the better course I might as well play that.

Also side questions and I know this will vary but what are green speeds looking like lately? I'm assuming either fast cause of no rain or slow cause of over seed? just deciding on putter to bring.

Lefty - WITB Thread

So went to go cancel my round at Camelback and noticed there is a Cancel Fee. Is that if I cancel after the cancellation window or just to cancel in general? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

4 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

So went to go cancel my round at Camelback and noticed there is a Cancel Fee. Is that if I cancel after the cancellation window or just to cancel in general? 

... I have never canceled so don't know their policy. But if you call and let them know you have a legit (made up 😉) reason for cancelling, most courses here will not charge you with advance notice. "Most" so not sure about Camelback but it's worth a phone call. 

Just now, chisag said:

... I have never canceled so don't know their policy. But if you call and let them know you have a legit (made up 😉) reason for cancelling, most courses here will not charge you with advance notice. "Most" so not sure about Camelback but it's worth a phone call. 

I'll call them, say I have an appointment which I do I just don't want to pay $209 to cancel there lol.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

All clear, called Camelback and cancelled no issues, gentleman said wasn't sure why the website had a cancellation fee I was well within the window to cancel and did..

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Usually with courses that use the "EZLinks" booking engine, when you look at your reservations, it lists a "cancel fee" but it means nothing so long as you cancel within the stated cancellation window. I believe it's what they might auto-charge you if you no-show or cancel after the window closes.

5 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Usually with courses that use the "EZLinks" booking engine, when you look at your reservations, it lists a "cancel fee" but it means nothing so long as you cancel within the stated cancellation window. I believe it's what they might auto-charge you if you no-show or cancel after the window closes.

Yeah that's what I assumed but I didn't want to click cancel and see a charge on my card. Camelback was $209 fee for a $129 round lol.

But good to know for the future we don't have EZLinks up in Canada for round booking.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Well my 3 rounds in AZ are over. I enjoyed them all, definitely want to come back in the future, play more courses. I now know what to expect with courses, can be a bit more prepared next time out. 

Definitely want to thank everyone for the recommendations and suggestions. 

• Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

12 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Well my 3 rounds in AZ are over. I enjoyed them all, definitely want to come back in the future, play more courses. I now know what to expect with courses, can be a bit more prepared next time out. 

Definitely want to thank everyone for the recommendations and suggestions. 

What did you end up playing? 

5 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

What did you end up playing? 

TPC Champion actually got all 18 in. 

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro 

Troon North Pinnacle 

In that order. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Great line up! 

Thanks got them out of the way. I'd definitely play WeKoPa again maybe try for 36 in a day for the price. 

But want to try out more, surprisingly didn't get too beat up on the courses. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

40 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Thanks got them out of the way. I'd definitely play WeKoPa again maybe try for 36 in a day for the price. 

But want to try out more, surprisingly didn't get too beat up on the courses. 

TPC Champions doesn't get a lot of love, but I think it's decent, and it doesn't break the bank. I prefer it to either Talking Stick course. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

48 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

TPC Champions doesn't get a lot of love, but I think it's decent, and it doesn't break the bank. I prefer it to either Talking Stick course. 

I paid $125 for twilight and snuck in app 18, granted last 2 holes were in the dark but yeah was a solid course. 

Next time may get into some "cheaper courses" and a nice one or two. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Doing a stay and play in early February at Whirlwind with a Southern Dunes round mixed in on the last day.

For day of arrival: flight lands at 11:30 am. When should I book the tee time for to ensure we get there in time but still finish before dark? Fyi we have a ride coming to get us so no rental car hassle needed.

I was thinking 1:30 pm but wouldn't mind some expert advice.