Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

I live in southern Arizona but have been playing golf in the Phx/Scottsdale area for almost 30 years, never seen anything like the way golf prices are now in that area, really hard for me to justify the trip and cost to play. I guess it's basic supply and demand economics and the courses are taking full advantage of it. Considering the water issues in the southwest I doubt we'll see many new courses going in so demand should remain high unless the economy really tanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AzRoger said:

I live in southern Arizona but have been playing golf in the Phx/Scottsdale area for almost 30 years, never seen anything like the way golf prices are now in that area, really hard for me to justify the trip and cost to play. I guess it's basic supply and demand economics and the courses are taking full advantage of it. Considering the water issues in the southwest I doubt we'll see many new courses going in so demand should remain high unless the economy really tanks.

... Amen! When you consider a huge city like Chicago leads the nation in loosing the most residents since 2010 and Maricopa county leads the nation in gaining residents since 2010, even the plethora of courses can't keep up with not only more residents but too many snowbirds and the worst culprits... those visiting in the middle of winter and willing to pay whatever it costs. It's one thing to Play Raven at $250, Quintero/We Ko Pa at $275 when you are here for a long weekend but quite another to pay $800 for a weekend when you live here. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, cbbaron said:

I always thought I was going to retire AZ now its looking like Pawleys Island for me. I have a buddy that joined Caledonia and True Blue it costs him 2500 a year plus 30 for cart

... When I was in the 1st grade and suffering from bad allergies in NC my doctor recommended AZ for the dry heat and lack of pollen. Took me another 60 years to get here but she was right. Not only a golfers heaven but the lack of humidity and pollen have greatly improved my quality of life. I loved the beach and the mountains but I don't think I could ever go back to the heat and humidity. 

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... When I was in the 1st grade and suffering from bad allergies in NC my doctor recommended AZ for the dry heat and lack of pollen. Took me another 60 years to get here but she was right. Not only a golfers heaven but the lack of humidity and pollen have greatly improved my quality of life. I loved the beach and the mountains but I don't think I could ever go back to the heat and humidity. 

I make 2-3 trips out to AZ a year will be there in 2 weeks

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AzRoger said:

Yep, it's become absolutely ridiculous. Had thought about playing this past weekend but after glancing at golfnow for tee times and seeing where fees still stand I went to Flag instead and just went running. Can only pray for some level of market correction but don't see that happening anytime soon. 

11 hours ago, Baraethon said:

So, am I just SOL trying to golf on a budget in Phoenix, spending ~30 for 18? I've been out of the game for a while and thinking of getting back to it when I move to the desert next month, but if the baseline round is $60+ that's not really attractive

May want to consider a different desert. 

11 hours ago, Baraethon said:

So, am I just SOL trying to golf on a budget in Phoenix, spending ~30 for 18? I've been out of the game for a while and thinking of getting back to it when I move to the desert next month, but if the baseline round is $60+ that's not really attractive

The only 18-hole full-length golf you are going to get for $30 around Phoenix in 2023 is a summer midday/afternoon round at one of the lower end courses or Sun City-type courses in the far east or west valley, and maybe a walking round at one of the muni courses with the discount card. You might get a late day twilight round at one of the mid-level courses without a Scottsdale address and just have to pray the course is empty and you can finish 18. You also might get lucky with a GN Hotdeal spot for a single but that is nothing you can rely on. $30 in October through April doesn't get you anything anymore besides maybe 9 holes at one of the lowest quality courses.

Edited by Bonneville85308

46 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

The only 18-hole full-length golf you are going to get for $30 around Phoenix in 2023 is a summer midday/afternoon round at one of the lower end courses or Sun City-type courses in the far east or west valley, and maybe a walking round at one of the muni courses with the discount card.

... Yup. A 50 cent cup of coffee would be nice too but those days are long gone. I have a Phoenix Senior City Card and walk twilite but it ain't under $30. Now under $40 is doable. I'll buy an Arcis Summer Card and playing twilite with a cart will be just under $40 including the cost of the card as I play around 20 times a month. 

20 hours ago, Baraethon said:

It can be done, but if you’re a weekend only golfer, it’s much more difficult.

I haven’t paid more than $50 peak season in years, but winter my options are limited to muni’s and walking rates, and I play weekday mornings usually.

My buddy and I played yesterday for $24.50 each at AZ golf resort at 835am. Greens fairways tees and bunkers are fantastic, if you’re not golf pretentious then you’ll 100% enjoy playing it, know what I mean?  So it can be done and if you’re frugal and flexible you’ll find a way. But minus 10293847393928 points if you live in Scottsdale lol

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished a week long boys trip of 8 rounds in 6 days and our flights got messed up due to mechanical difficulties on the plane. End result we have to stay an extra day and are looking to play today. Hotel is in Tempe near the airport so looking at something close. 

Looking at Legacy or Raven unless there is another option close by to get a round in today. Oh yeah, the wives are super happy we are staying an extra day and a half after a week long boys trip. 

4 minutes ago, Nobbykat said:

Just finished a week long boys trip of 8 rounds in 6 days and our flights got messed up due to mechanical difficulties on the plane. End result we have to stay an extra day and are looking to play today. Hotel is in Tempe near the airport so looking at something close. 

Looking at Legacy or Raven unless there is another option close by to get a round in today. Oh yeah, the wives are super happy we are staying an extra day and a half after a week long boys trip. 

... I really like Raven but $125 is a bit steep for late May. Not a fan of Legacy for several reasons including 5 par 3's and flipping the 9's but a decent track. You can head 8 miles west on Baseline from Raven/Legacy and play Aguila for less than 1/2 the price and it's in good shape. 

2 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

Played the front at Raven Saturday and enjoyed it. Course was in really good shape, especially the greens. Caught a hot rate for under $40 for 18 so it was worth it. 

... I join Raven for the summer and it's $35 a round. I would add it is one of the few completely tree lined courses in Phoenix and when the temps exceed 100* the shade is very nice. Great to hear it is in excellent shape! . 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I join Raven for the summer and it's $35 a round. I would add it is one of the few completely tree lined courses in Phoenix and when the temps exceed 100* the shade is very nice. Great to hear it is in excellent shape! . 

Sorry, Monday typo blunder. I meant to say Legacy. I was over at Raven for a lesson and then jumped to Legacy to play a bit after. Raven did look in good shape though and it was playing great a few weeks ago when I was last on the course. 

On 4/30/2023 at 11:40 AM, AzRoger said:

Agreed. It could be worse; in Las Vegas this summer, it looks like many courses are charging winter rates now all summer long with none of the historic/typical "off season" discounting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been here and golfing for a month or so now, it's been better than expected - I played Wigwam for about $50, and Apache Creek today for $30 (both weekend, pre-7AM). Wigman was great, fun and challenging course for a good deal. Apache Creek was rough, the front 9 greens were in terrible condition and the desert made for a bad day if you weren't hitting the fairways.

Moving into more central Phoenix soon, so I'll be hitting up the Encanto practice area a lot.

Golfmoose had some great deals for McCormick Ranch, but I'm concerned about the 7 day booking window. I feel like trying to get an early enough tee time on a weekend to play 72 with only a week's notice would be difficult. Has anyone done that deal before? What'd you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Heading to Scottsdale first week in October.  See the list of courses below we are looking at playing and help me make some decisions on courses.  This list is based on courses not in overseed, or just prior to their overseed date. Let me know if I missed any other courses worth playing at this time.

Day 1: Boulders

Day 2: Try to squeeze in both WeKoPa Saguaro and Eagle Mountain or play one course twice?

Day 3: Wildfire Faldo? (Would prefer Grayhawk, but >$300 seems excessive)

Last Day: Raven or Whirlwind or Souther Dunes?

Also had a few questions?

Is Sunridge Canyon playable right after two month maintenance/overseed?

Anyone play Mountain Shadows short course right after overseed?  

32 minutes ago, garneson said:

Heading to Scottsdale first week in October.  See the list of courses below we are looking at playing and help me make some decisions on courses.  This list is based on courses not in overseed, or just prior to their overseed date. Let me know if I missed any other courses worth playing at this time.

Day 2: Try to squeeze in both WeKoPa Saguaro and Eagle Mountain or play one course twice?

Not sure why you would not do both Wekopa courses?  Cholla is a better play than EM.  Plus Wekopa has a 36 hole pkg

Faldo is not a good choice.  Grayhawk shouldn't be $300 if you can wait.  But if you need to lock it up, then Troon, Legend Trail, Champions, etc are all better options.

Last day - Southern Dunes 8 of 10

Sunridge is playable - but may still be CPO.

MS is open to anyone.

• Like 1

I'd love to play both Wekopa courses.  Unfortunately Cholla is in overseed during that time so I was looking for options to play 36.  

There aren't any courses I could find that had both 18 hole courses open that hadn't just completed overseeding.  Eagle mountain appears to be the closest course to Wekopa which is why I proposed that option.  I could just play Saguaro twice, Eagle Mountain twice, or some other combination of courses, but that seemed like the easiest 36 hole different course combo.   

Re Wildfire alternates: Troon Monument is in overseed, Pinnacle, Legend trail, TPC Champions, are alljust coming out of overseed = Doesn't sound ideal.

Mountain shadows opens from overseed that week.  Being a short course I'm not sure how much it is impacted by this.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, garneson said:

I'd love to play both Wekopa courses.  Unfortunately Cholla is in overseed during that time so I was looking for options to play 36.  

There aren't any courses I could find that had both 18 hole courses open that hadn't just completed overseeding.  Eagle mountain appears to be the closest course to Wekopa which is why I proposed that option.  I could just play Saguaro twice, Eagle Mountain twice, or some other combination of courses, but that seemed like the easiest 36 hole different course combo.   

Re Wildfire alternates: Troon Monument is in overseed, Pinnacle, Legend trail, TPC Champions, are alljust coming out of overseed = Doesn't sound ideal.

Mountain shadows opens from overseed that week.  Being a short course I'm not sure how much it is impacted by this.

... Tough time of year here. Not a ton of courses I would enjoy playing twice during a golf vacation, but Saguaro is one of them. I enjoy Raven as a summer course and really like the layout but if visiting the desert I'm not sure if I would love the tree lined look that could be anywhere but not a desert. I think either Whirlwind course is worth playing and Southern Dunes is one of my favorites despite the long drive. 

... Aguila is one of the few courses coming out of overseed I would play as they have a High School State Championship the day they re-open so the course is always in really good shape. Others I have played have been cart path only with slow fairways and slower greens so I avoid them for at least 2 weeks. 

On 7/10/2023 at 12:43 PM, garneson said:

I would play Pinnacle and TPC Champs just out of overseed 100 times before I would play Wildfire.  Legend Trail is solid but not at all on the same level as those 2.

I'd also play WeKoPa Saguaro twice before playing Eagle Mountain.  Again, those 2 aren't close in terms of overall quality/layout.  

Last day I would have Southern Dunes as the #1, Whirlwind as the #2 and Sunridge a very distance #3.  While I really like Southern Dunes, I'm not as high on it as most of the people on this board (yes it's a great golf course and I absolutely have it in my top 10 in phoenix.. somewhere in that 6-8 range, I just don't agree that it's hugely underrated and could be top 3... I think it's adequately rated a back-end top 10 course... I think it's closer to Whirlwind in rating/quality than it is to WeKoPa, Grayhawk and Troon).

I would target the better 36 hole facilities in the valley and play whichever course is open.  So look at Troon North, WeKoPa, Grayhawk, TPC, Boulders (Boulders is priced like Troon North but it's def. not as good), and Whirlwind.  I would also look at Verrado and Talking Stick as quality courses which aren't on that same tier but are priced well.  

Edited by SilverBullets
  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

On 7/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, chisag said:

... Tough time of year here. Not a ton of courses I would enjoy playing twice during a golf vacation, but Saguaro is one of them. I enjoy Raven as a summer course and really like the layout but if visiting the desert I'm not sure if I would love the tree lined look that could be anywhere but not a desert. I think either Whirlwind course is worth playing and Southern Dunes is one of my favorites despite the long drive. 

... Aguila is one of the few courses coming out of overseed I would play as they have a High School State Championship the day they re-open so the course is always in really good shape. Others I have played have been cart path only with slow fairways and slower greens so I avoid them for at least 2 weeks. 

Aguila is good for what it is.  But I wouldn't recommend that to someone coming out here on a golf trip.  It's a Muni.  Make no mistake about that, it's a muni.  Nothing about the layout is memorable.  It's a very solid golf course and it's a good value for the conditions.  But it's nothing to write home about or go out your way for.  

1 hour ago, SilverBullets said:

Aguila is good for what it is.  But I wouldn't recommend that to someone coming out here on a golf trip.  It's a Muni.  Make no mistake about that, it's a muni.  Nothing about the layout is memorable.  It's a very solid golf course and it's a good value for the conditions.  But it's nothing to write home about or go out your way for.  

... Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel. 😉 If I were vacationing in Phoenix and money was a major factor I would be very happy with Aguila. I disagree about memorable holes but of course that comes down to personal opinion. The fact that there are no houses or buildings on the course compared to some much more expensive tracks winding through homes is a huge factor for more than a few. Vacationing I would certainly enjoy the mountain views with ever present roadrunners, coyotes, hawks and quail you don't find on a course winding through homes. I think this is the major difference compared to the other city muni's and as a nature lover it always enhances my rounds. After moving here 4 years ago from Chicago and trying to sample as many courses as I can, all things considered including cost which is out of control in season, Aguila is still one of my favorites. 

... Now if I am vacationing here in season and money is no object, Aguila would not be on my list as it is obviously not in the same conversation with Grayhawk, WeKoPa, Troon North, TPC or Southern Dunes. But the question was courses to play before, during and after over seeding when choices are limited and Aguila is one of the few that is in great shape the day it opens after over seeding. 

Aguila222222.jpg.9d47dcef0b0ce4971f1ef89c6267be5d.jpgAguila152.jpg.add9d7059c12a519d94d094194a194b6.jpg

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2023 at 11:38 AM, garneson said:

First week in October will mean you should be able to catch some courses prior to overseed.   Be advised, most start drying things out a few weeks prior, but IMO these make for wonderful conditions.  Far more favorable than playing the wet, hairy mess of a course during the overseed grow-in.  And at that time of the year, anything open post overseed will be a wet hairy mess.  

Can't speak about the courses mentioned because I haven't seen the overseed schedule.

16 minutes ago, teejaywhy said:

Be advised, most start drying things out a few weeks prior, but IMO these make for wonderful conditions.  Far more favorable than playing the wet, hairy mess of a course during the overseed grow-in.  And at that time of the year, anything open post overseed will be a wet hairy mess. 

... LOL, my first over seed season they shaved the fairways down to basically nothing at The Raven about 4 days before starting and the ball rolled forever. I thought it really sucked ... til I played a "wet, hairy mess" at Encanto after over seeding and the greens were virtually unplayable. Lesson learned.  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:40 AM, chisag said:

... Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel. 😉 If I were vacationing in Phoenix and money was a major factor I would be very happy with Aguila. I disagree about memorable holes but of course that comes down to personal opinion. The fact that there are no houses or buildings on the course compared to some much more expensive tracks winding through homes is a huge factor for more than a few. Vacationing I would certainly enjoy the mountain views with ever present roadrunners, coyotes, hawks and quail you don't find on a course winding through homes. I think this is the major difference compared to the other city muni's and as a nature lover it always enhances my rounds. After moving here 4 years ago from Chicago and trying to sample as many courses as I can, all things considered including cost which is out of control in season, Aguila is still one of my favorites. 

... Now if I am vacationing here in season and money is no object, Aguila would not be on my list as it is obviously not in the same conversation with Grayhawk, WeKoPa, Troon North, TPC or Southern Dunes. But the question was courses to play before, during and after over seeding when choices are limited and Aguila is one of the few that is in great shape the day it opens after over seeding. 

Aguila222222.jpg.9d47dcef0b0ce4971f1ef89c6267be5d.jpgAguila152.jpg.add9d7059c12a519d94d094194a194b6.jpg

I feel like you're only seeing what you want to see.  There are literally houses on the course in your own photo lol.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad a course at all.  I play it and will continue to play it.  Ill continue to recommend it to locals.  However, it's nothing special.  It's not something I'm recommending to an out of towner unless they are looking for a strapped budget.  

7 minutes ago, SilverBullets said:

I feel like you're only seeing what you want to see.  There are literally houses on the course in your own photo lol.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad a course at all.  I play it and will continue to play it.  Ill continue to recommend it to locals.  However, it's nothing special.  It's not something I'm recommending to an out of towner unless they are looking for a strapped budget.  

... We all have our own opinions and I am not trying to change yours, just a rebuttal. Two courses that were highly recommended I didn't care for at all, Legend Trails and Las Sendas. Yet many enjoy both. But I pretty much said the same thing you stated.  Coming from out of town I would only recommend Aguila for those on a budget or dealing with limited choices with over seeding. Photo's are funny and if you play Aguila, you know those houses are not on the course but on the other side of the street and those are the only two holes where you can see them. 

• Like 1