2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

17 hours ago, lipw87 said:

any nice places purely for practice in scottsdale area?

i'm going end of november with my girl.  i'm going to get a few rounds in but also just want a few solid practice sessions where i can go for an hour or so.

Not really - most of the "nice places" charge.  Many have raised the price to $40 just to use the facilities.  

Not sure what your count for "few" is, but if it is 3 or above, then possibly the PDP at TS would work (https://talkingstickgolfclub.com/pdp) - but I still think you would need to get 4-5 sessions in to make it somewhat of a value.

Other than that courses like Papago, Longbow, Stonecreek, Orange Tree have buckets to purchase.   

Longbow and McDowell Mountain Ranch have good grass range practice facilities by the bag/bucket and good practice greens. Both have small short game practice areas. If you just want to chip/putt, it's free and they don't hassle you.

Edited by DrSchteeve
  • Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

On 10/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Not really - most of the "nice places" charge.  Many have raised the price to $40 just to use the facilities.  

Not sure what your count for "few" is, but if it is 3 or above, then possibly the PDP at TS would work (https://talkingstickgolfclub.com/pdp) - but I still think you would need to get 4-5 sessions in to make it somewhat of a value.

Other than that courses like Papago, Longbow, Stonecreek, Orange Tree have buckets to purchase.   

i am fully willing and intended to pay.  anywhere that has a nice grass range and decent short game area.  i'm only there for 7 days so would probably be looking to do this 2-3 times outside of my rounds.

Edited by lipw87

28 minutes ago, lipw87 said:

i am fully willing and intended to pay.  anywhere that has a nice grass range and decent short game area.  i'm only there for 7 days so would probably be looking to do this 2-3 times outside of my rounds.

TO make sure it has a good short game area:  your best facility is going to be Grayhawk.  Legend Trail would be next.   McDowell Mtn next.  

Phx is odd - there are so few really good facilities.    Whirlwind and Southern Dunes are probably the best.  Interesting....we have not made a good list...I am going to open a topic.   Most of the courses do not invest in a good short game area.  They have a range and putting green.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, Bonneville85308 said:

Agreed 100%, and widespread abuse of "resident rate" policies also makes it easier for courses just to decide to do away with them altogether, screwing over us locals who are already getting just about priced out of the game of golf in winter here unless we stay up to midnight to fight for tee times at munis and lower end courses.

... I play Raven in the summer for the shade and join Arcis for 4 months at $59 a month, afternoon rounds are "free" you just pay $29 for the cart. But lots of maintenance or lack thereof all summer long. hard to complain at the price. But I asked the GM smiling "You just don't care about summer locals do you?" and he replied "I will deny saying this but we love locals in the summer, we just don't care about the course in the summer because we make 10 times as much during peak season so we need to get the course ready for them."  Sadly, I get it. Already $129 for locals at Raven and of course it will keep going up and snowbirds/visitors will pay the $220 per round starting in January. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

13 hours ago, lipw87 said:

any restaurant recommendations for scottsdale?

Depends on the area. Decent ones already mentioned up above for the more central locations. If you're Gainey area or further north then check out The Mick, Hush Public House, Americano, Zinc Bistro, Lamp Pizzeria (also Pitch which is opening soon)...

…heading to Scottsdale area for Thanksgiving week - trying to decide on a spot for 3 of us, including my nephew - so taking some of the $$$$ options off the table. 

Thoughts on Camelback Ambiente v Legend Trail v TPC-Champs v Raven v Whirlwind ? 

Of course, welcome other recos. Playing Eagle Mountain earlier in the week…

Thanks!!!!

7 hours ago, eshank23 said:

…heading to Scottsdale area for Thanksgiving week - trying to decide on a spot for 3 of us, including my nephew - so taking some of the $$$$ options off the table. 

Thoughts on Camelback Ambiente v Legend Trail v TPC-Champs v Raven v Whirlwind ? 

Thanks!!!!

Visitors perspective, and no idea current prices, but I’ve always enjoyed Legend Trail. I think it’s a notch above, design wise, compared to the majority of desert courses. Both courses at whirlwind are good as well. Raven is a bit more of a traditional with plenty of rough and some tree lined fairways. I’m not saying it’s old school country club tight or anything like that, but a lot of it feels like you aren’t in Arizona. 

I can’t speak to the other two. 

If you’re looking for something with price in mind I would recommend Longbow. If you are open to driving a bit more, Ak Chin Southern Dunes is really good. Prices are always very fair due to location. Sterling Grove is another one a bit further away but I think it’s pretty darn good. Nicklaus course that’s more forgiving than most courses he does. Has some wild greens but I enjoyed them. It’s suppose to go private at some point but hasn’t yet. More traditional that desert style. (I played it when there were very few houses built. Now that it’s more developed it may detract from the course a bit.) 

• Like 1

Be in the Mesa area this week and looking for a round early Saturday morning 11/19.  Recommendations or looking for a group to join.  Mid 70’s player.  

TM Stealth 2 Plus 10.5°/Ventus Blue TR 5S
Callaway Paradym 15°/Tensei White
PXG 0317X 19°/Tensei White Raw
Taylormade 23 P770 4&5, P7MC 6-PW/MMT stiff
Vokey SM9 50, 54° & 58°
LAB Golf Link1
ProV1X

17 minutes ago, krsgolf said:

Be in the Mesa area this week and looking for a round early Saturday morning 11/19.  Recommendations or looking for a group to join.  Mid 70’s player.  

If you can wait, I have my discount pass and will see what is open.  How much are you willing to spend and how far to travel?  I can get some decent deals if we travel a bit further.  

On 11/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, eshank23 said:

Thanks!!!!

You don't come to AZ (this time of year) to play Ambiente, Raven or TPC Champs.  These are filler courses at best.  

Legend Trail is a decent track, but the price is alreayd ridiculous.  Same with WW.

I would suggest you look at going out and playing Verrado, Southern Dunes, Longbow or maybe Papago.   You could consider going out to Wickenburg Ranch too.  Boulders North is in play but may be too pricey, but is an option.   

5 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

If you can wait, I have my discount pass and will see what is open.  How much are you willing to spend and how far to travel?  I can get some decent deals if we travel a bit further.  

I fly out at 5:30 that afternoon.  Staying in Mesa but just need to get back to the airport by 3:30-4:00.  Up to may $150

TM Stealth 2 Plus 10.5°/Ventus Blue TR 5S
Callaway Paradym 15°/Tensei White
PXG 0317X 19°/Tensei White Raw
Taylormade 23 P770 4&5, P7MC 6-PW/MMT stiff
Vokey SM9 50, 54° & 58°
LAB Golf Link1
ProV1X

5 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

You don't come to AZ (this time of year) to play Ambiente, Raven or TPC Champs.  These are filler courses at best.  

Legend Trail is a decent track, but the price is alreayd ridiculous.  Same with WW.

I would suggest you look at going out and playing Verrado, Southern Dunes, Longbow or maybe Papago.   You could consider going out to Wickenburg Ranch too.  Boulders North is in play but may be too pricey, but is an option.   

I've read from folks down there that Wickenburg Ranch is basically private unless you have a Troon Card.  Disappointing as it was my favorite course during my first trip to Arizona and wanted to play it again next summer.  

Just now, soregongolfer said:

I've read from folks down there that Wickenburg Ranch is basically private unless you have a Troon Card.  Disappointing as it was my favorite course during my first trip to Arizona and wanted to play it again next summer.  

I have the Troon card...so I get times whenever I want I guess - as I was booked this weekend but had a last minute issue come up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I have the Troon card...so I get times whenever I want I guess - as I was booked this weekend but had a last minute issue come up.

This is from the Troon website now regarding Wickenberg Ranch:  Wickenburg Ranch Golf & Social Club is accepting tee times for members, Troon Privé/Advantage and Troon program cardholders. It is a downside but this has been talked about for years. Makes the Troon Card more valuable if you are willing to drive there. 

15 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

... One of the Az seasonal conundrums. Ambiente is one of my favorite courses and I tied my lowest round shooting 3 strokes under my age. Love the layout and conditions. But that is during the summer at a reasonable $49. Winter rates at $200 are ridiculous. 

... I also join Raven during the summer because those trees are my friend in temps over 110* but agree, you don't come to Phoenix to play a tree lined, non desert, no mountain view course and again winter rates are insane. If I had the choice for my winter get away, I played in Orlando when I lived in Chicago simply because the rates are 1/3rd to 1/4 what you have to pay here. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

16 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

When you come back, let me know - will be happy to get you out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

When you come back, let me know - will be happy to get you out there.

I will definitely keep that in mind.  I Loved, LOved, LOVed, LOVEd, LOVED that course.  I had great company as well. 

I stayed In Old Town Scottsdale and the drive wasn't bad at all, though Siri neglected to tell me to turn left onto Highway Whatever after leaving the city of Wickenburg.  Luckily there was plenty of daylight for me to see where I needed to go.  Siri also neglected to let me know I was at Quintero until after I had passed it by.  It was still dark at that point lol.   

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to take a short trip this January as flights are cheap but looking at some info mainly from @chisag I should probably avoid Phoenix this time of year due to cost of rounds. Is there anything semi affordable? Any by that I'm used to paying like $100/rd where I am so I'm not after that $25/rd like other people.

Or should I look at going to Phoenix in "off-peak" season?

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Looking to take a short trip this January as flights are cheap but looking at some info mainly from @chisag I should probably avoid Phoenix this time of year due to cost of rounds. Is there anything semi affordable? Any by that I'm used to paying like $100/rd where I am so I'm not after that $25/rd like other people.

Or should I look at going to Phoenix in "off-peak" season?

You can go down to Tucson and get some good courses for that...but almost zero chance in Phx area.  $100 gets you the bottom of the list of courses!!  

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

You can go down to Tucson and get some good courses for that...but almost zero chance in Phx area.  $100 gets you the bottom of the list of courses!!  

Good to know thanks I'll look into Tucson more and ask in that thread what there is to play. Still looks cheaper to fly into Phoenix and drive down to Tucson, plus get a better rental for me in Phoenix.

Lefty - WITB Thread

41 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Good to know thanks I'll look into Tucson more and ask in that thread what there is to play. Still looks cheaper to fly into Phoenix and drive down to Tucson, plus get a better rental for me in Phoenix.

Ventana Canyon Mountain, Sewailo, AZ National, Tucson National and Dove Mountain (Saguaro/Tortolita 9s) and you have an amazing golf trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Ventana Canyon Mountain, Sewailo, AZ National, Tucson National and Dove Mountain (Saguaro/Tortolita 9s) and you have an amazing golf trip.

I'll look all those up and make a list. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Just bitching aloud about prices yet again lol

look at the rate hike in February(these are the discount card rates)

D764CE63-EC33-47BA-A768-0E203156FEBB.jpeg

• Sad 2

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options