2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

6 hours ago, jetsetter808 said:

Hi all, 

I just got in town for work, going to be here for a few months. I appreciate the list on the first page. Some questions, at this time which courses have the best greens? Not looking to spend $$$$ but a decent track. Coming from Hawaii so looking forward to playing desert golf. Also I have been looking online at some courses and see some really good rates you can pay online. If I pay for the resident rate are they actually checking ID at the time of checkin?

Don’t do it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jetsetter808 said:

Please elaborate 

well, you are not a resident.  It is also the wrong thing to do ethically and morally.  It is also against the law.  A.R.S. 13-1802 (theft by misrepresentation).  I realize the chances of getting caught and prosecuted are pretty minuscule, but if you can't afford the green fee, then find another course where you can.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, azgolfer44 said:

well, you are not a resident.  It is also the wrong thing to do ethically and morally.  It is also against the law.  A.R.S. 13-1802 (theft by misrepresentation).  I realize the chances of getting caught and prosecuted are pretty minuscule, but if you can't afford the green fee, then find another course where you can.

Sorry was not specific, when we say resident does it mean living in the state for a year and paying taxes or drivers license is okay? 

20 hours ago, jetsetter808 said:

Sorry was not specific, when we say resident does it mean living in the state for a year and paying taxes or drivers license is okay? 

An AZ Driver's License will be all you need. At We Ko Pa they will sometimes ask me about residency, and I'll say yes and start to reach for my wallet, and they will say that's good.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 6:58 AM, azgolfer44 said:

Agreed 100%, and widespread abuse of "resident rate" policies also makes it easier for courses just to decide to do away with them altogether, screwing over us locals who are already getting just about priced out of the game of golf in winter here unless we stay up to midnight to fight for tee times at munis and lower end courses.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:49 AM, jetsetter808 said:

I just got in town for work, going to be here for a few months. I appreciate the list on the first page. Some questions, at this time which courses have the best greens? Not looking to spend $$$$ but a decent track. Coming from Hawaii so looking forward to playing desert golf. Also I have been looking online at some courses and see some really good rates you can pay online. If I pay for the resident rate are they actually checking ID at the time of checkin?

Banhammer.

Anyone have a recommendation for 10/8? Already playing We Ko Pa. Seems like a tough time to find a course with overseeing. Staying in Scottsdale area.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

5 minutes ago, lurkinghobbit said:

Verrado gave us a great deal on that day, hope its in good shape.

... I played Founders last week and other than the greens being just a little slow, it is in really nice shape. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Looking to play 36 holes for my 36th birthday early February in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area (will have a car).

3/4 of the players are intermediate skill level (relatively new to the game) so won't feel comfortable playing at the top tier courses but are looking for something that is nicely kept and has a desert look/feel. Since we want to do 36 holes, I was thinking maybe the two Talking Stick courses but not sure if it's overpriced for what it is (also doesn't have much of a desert look based on the pictures).

Any recommendations or advice?

1 hour ago, cp19 said:

Looking to play 36 holes for my 36th birthday early February in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area (will have a car).

3/4 of the players are intermediate skill level (relatively new to the game) so won't feel comfortable playing at the top tier courses but are looking for something that is nicely kept and has a desert look/feel. Since we want to do 36 holes, I was thinking maybe the two Talking Stick courses but not sure if it's overpriced for what it is (also doesn't have much of a desert look based on the pictures).

Any recommendations or advice?

Ick...well, fair warning, you are coming at the worst possible time.  Average golf courses are jacking their prices up to exorbitant levels for that time next year!  

Talking stick is truly 'just ok'.  The price will make it less than that.

You are going to need to travel.  For that time of year, your best bet will likely be to go to Copper Canyon, Southern Dunes, Poston Butte, Vistancia and Estrella Mountain.  Estrella will have the most "desert feel".   Even with these you are going to be paying over $100, up to $200 for the round depending on what the courses do.  Aside from that, you may have to do one of the munis.

More difficult option will be to go to Los Caballeros in Wickenburg, or drive up to Play Oak Creek in Sedona.

Depending on what the Tucson courses do - you may find that it is better to play in Tucson - something like Tucs Natl, Ventana, Sewailo.

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Ick...well, fair warning, you are coming at the worst possible time.  Average golf courses are jacking their prices up to exorbitant levels for that time next year!  

Talking stick is truly 'just ok'.  The price will make it less than that.

You are going to need to travel.  For that time of year, your best bet will likely be to go to Copper Canyon, Southern Dunes, Poston Butte, Vistancia and Estrella Mountain.  Estrella will have the most "desert feel".   Even with these you are going to be paying over $100, up to $200 for the round depending on what the courses do.  Aside from that, you may have to do one of the munis.

More difficult option will be to go to Los Caballeros in Wickenburg, or drive up to Play Oak Creek in Sedona.

Depending on what the Tucson courses do - you may find that it is better to play in Tucson - something like Tucs Natl, Ventana, Sewailo.

Thanks for the feedback @puttnforthe8!

Agree timing is unfortunate but we understand we could be paying for rounds around $200. One other itinerary we were looking at was McCormick Ranch (36 holes) and Lookout Mountain (the next day). I do really like the look of Estrella Mountain you suggested, would just need to find another course nearby for the second 18 of the day. 

2 minutes ago, cp19 said:

Agree timing is unfortunate but we understand we could be paying for rounds around $200. One other itinerary we were looking at was McCormick Ranch (36 holes) and Lookout Mountain (the next day). I do really like the look of Estrella Mountain you suggested, would just need to find another course nearby for the second 18 of the day. 

... Aguila is always in nice shape that time of year with dormant rough and fast hard fairways with nice views of South Mountain. Should be around $75 or less. Took these pics last winter:

388966570_Aguila222222.jpg.efba2f6983eac5c3564541fc38198ad2.jpg

494148075_Aguila312.JPG.bac2715e2a9c693b8fc9c5dd039e6c23.JPG

1 hour ago, cp19 said:

Verrado is another good option near Estrella.  They have 2 courses, Victory and Founders.  Could probably do 36 with them if you wanted, or tie Estrella Mountain in with one of them.  By rank, I'd say Founders, Estrella, then Victory.

10 minutes ago, Kuhndogg8 said:

Verrado is another good option near Estrella.  They have 2 courses, Victory and Founders.  Could probably do 36 with them if you wanted, or tie Estrella Mountain in with one of them.  By rank, I'd say Founders, Estrella, then Victory.

... Since some of the OP's friends are new to golf, I just don't think Victory would be a good fit. I love Founders but don't care for Victory and the blind shots, quirky holes and homes on the course. I think it is one of those love/hate courses although the 18th is pretty spectacular. 

2 hours ago, cp19 said:

McCormick Ranch is awful, I'm sure many others will tell you to avoid it. Lookout Mt isn't a bad choice for visitors but it's a weird forced layout, really the only redeeming features of the course are some half way decent views. 

I'd suggest either of the Verrado Courses, best bang for the buck. 

2 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Lookout Mt isn't a bad choice for visitors but it's a weird forced layout

... I played it once and decided that was enough. A friend came to town and treated me to a round there and just reinforced my opinion to never play there again. 

2 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Shhhh.... don't mess it up for the locals...

... LOL, no doubt but figured I could make an exception for a wrx member. December - February we take turns waking up at midnight and booking twilite rounds. I used to leave my computer in the bathroom and when waking up for a pit stop around 3-4am I would book times. Last year that didn't work anymore because the first 3 or 4 times were gone by then. I live 5 minutes away and with sr city rates at $24 walking at twilite, I can play almost 2 weeks for the cost of one gouge the snowbirds/vacationers course. 

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I played it once and decided that was enough. A friend came to town and treated me to a round there and just reinforced my opinion to never play there again. 

I used to play LM during the summer a lot when it was dirt cheap and pretty much empty after 11am, but COVID changed all that, so I haven't been back. As a short straight hitter with a decent short game I could score pretty low there compared to other courses I play, so despite the goofy architecture it was a really fun course for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I used to play LM during the summer a lot when it was dirt cheap and pretty much empty after 11am, but COVID changed all that, so I haven't been back. As a short straight hitter with a decent short game I could score pretty low there compared to other courses I play, so despite the goofy architecture it was a really fun course for me.

... Chicago was similar to Phoenix as there were 100 courses within 25 miles of my home. Just so many options and I just won't play courses I don't really like, for any reason. But I hear ya and there was a weak muni a few miles from my house back in Chicago so at $19 to walk it was a go to when I played by myself or an afternoon freed up at the last minute. Plenty of courses here I won't play a 2nd time simply because the are so many others that I like. 

It's been a while since I played in Arizona.  I am very fortunate that a friend of mine just invited me to join him for 3 days at Whisper Rock in November, so I am excited to get back out there.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

19 hours ago, cp19 said:

PLEASE - FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY!!! DO NOT TORTURE YOURSELF OR OTHERS with those courses.

Friends don't let friends play Mccormick Ranch or LM!!

Book the 36 hole deal for Verrado and just play at least one tee box up and you will be fine.  Even 2 tee boxes up.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

PLEASE - FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY!!! DO NOT TORTURE YOURSELF OR OTHERS with those courses.

Friends don't let friends play Mccormick Ranch or LM!!

... Haha it is always nice to know we can depend on you for that gentle touch. 😉  

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... Haha it is always nice to know we can depend on you for that gentle touch. 😉  

Too many capitalized letters?  🤣

In my world, if we don't say it clearly & "As it Is" the first time and loudly, people die or we lose a lot of $$.   After a million years doing that, it has bled everywhere!

But I hate seeing anyone spend $200 + tax to play MR/LM when you can play some other places for less or a few $ more and have an exponentially better experience.

• Like 1