Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

3 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Wow, that's tough - but I would probably do Ventana Canyon Mountain - it is just more fun.  I always feel like I am grinding at Dove because it is tougher.  But it is more remote - which is the plus, fewer buildings, etc. and being back in the Marana mountains are nice.  

If you don't like Nicklaus courses, then play Ventana for sure.  

I am sure someone else will chime in - but it is almost 50/50 for me.  You may need to call and ask which 9s will be played.  If it is Saguaro and Tortolita - then play Dove; if Wild Burro is one of the 9s, then play Ventana.    

Thanks! Thinking Ventana Canyon is likely what I am going to do. Now just need to grab a time when it opens up. Thanks! 

4 hours ago, mretrade said:

Thanks! Thinking Ventana Canyon is likely what I am going to do. Now just need to grab a time when it opens up. Thanks! 

Can’t go wrong with either.

Ventana has so many unique elevated tee boxes and probably one of the most fun short par 3’s I’ve played. 

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

Played Eagle Moutain last Thursday. It was in great shape for the most part but there were some signs it looked like it could go downhill again once it warms up. A few greens had some dead spots. I was questioning myself why I agreed with my buddies to play WM week as packed out as it was but I had my second best round ever so I was happy.

• Like 3

Just got back from my trip to arizona from Feb 16-23. I played five rounds. I stayed out near Grayhawk and traveled twice! to Tucson for golf. Thanks to @puttnforthe8 for the recommendations! The tuscon trips really nailed the trip. 

I played Wekopa Saguro (2/17),  Ventana Canyon - Mountain course (2/18), Wekopa Cholla (2/19), Wickenberg Ranch (2/20), and Dove Mountain - Saguaro/Trotollia (sp) (2/21). I was not expecting to take the second trip to Tuscon but the success of the first one and the youtube videos online sold me to make the trip to Dove Mountain.

I had played both Wekopa courses twice each before and Wickenberg once before. I would rank the courses as follows:

1) Ventana Canyon (Mountain) (2/18) - This by FAR was the most interesting course I have ever played. Ever hole had very unique elements.  The entire course sits around the base of a mountain. Each fairway felt like it had unique aspects including undulations and things that made things very unique and constantly different. The par 3, 3rd was a classic hole and I was shocked to make it on the green and 2 putt for par. But it is really beautiful. Conditions were good (not perfect), but very good and the scenery was amazing. What really made this course awesome, was every hole was unique, felt different and was interesting. The pace of play was just slightly on the slow side, but not bad. The people I was paired with had a dinner reservation so we had to play very fast. But beautiful course and I would definitely play again. The entire course was just so interesting and unique. 

2A) Dove Mountain - Saguaro/Tortilla (2/20) - The atmosphere here was nothing I have experienced before. First off, there are no starters at this course. I had an 11:30 T time and got confused because there were no starters. I went back to the main area and the guy just told me to hit at 11:30 no matter what. So I played as a single which was wild to play at a nice course. The conditions were great. Probably slightly better than Ventana and the pace of play was amazing. Especially after this group of 4 offered to let me pass on the 2nd 9. This course is super challenging. I was battling the wind all day and couldn't get my distances down. The fairways were definitely tight and I battled the fairway bunkers. Awesome course. It felt like belonging to a club that just let anyone just walk on. It was unique. 

2B) Wickenberg - Wickenberg is fantastic. The highlight was the par 5 9th hole. As a player that has broken 90 3 times, but mainly a low 90s golfer, I was stoked to have played an entire hole as flawless as the uphill par 5, 9th. Drove 270 to the middle. Hit a 4 iron about 207 uphill, then 70 yard or so 54 degree 3/4 shot and 1 putt from 6 feet for bird. Was fantastic. I played with two members who were a joy to play with. Wickenberg Ranch is such a great course and I love the practice area to warm up. Conditions were fantastic as well and the course is extremely interesting with ton of a great holes. Every time I go here, the wind is a tad challenging. A lot of memorable holes.

4) Wekopa Cholla - Great course. I don't understand why for the life of me that Saguaro is ranked higher. I find Cholla way more interesting and fun to play. There is just much more memorable holes on Cholla than Saguaro. Conditions were great. I was not used to having the rough/out of bounds area as Brown, which I thought was interesting part of AZ golf this time of year. But the course is a classic. 

5) Wekopa Saguaro - Still a very good course. But I find it a little repetitive and prefer Cholla.

All these courses are excellent and felt like I played some of the best courses in the state. I cant wait to go back. This was my 3rd trip to AZ for golf and have played most or probably all the top courses that arent completely private. Ventana Canyon may be my favorite course in the state. Wickenberg is definitely up there.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Heading to Scottsdale for a bachelor party at end of month. I have played quite a bit of golf in the area in the past and we are only playing 1 round on this trip. Group of 10 and I would consider myself the only golf sicko. Goal was to have green fee between $150-200 and have proximity to the house we were staying of about 20-30 min. I booked some times about a month ago (maybe even 1.5 mo ago) and was surprised to see how much was already booked that far in advance.

That said, I have tee times booked at:

- Lookout Mountain

- McDowell Mountain

Someone I spoke to who had played both told me for a bachelor party they would choose Lookout over McDowell for the elevation change on the course and that it has 5 par 3s and 5 par 5s. He mentioned that McDowell is underrated but is very much a normal course and not much to remember about it.

Any feedback appreciated between the 2 chosen. At this point not looking to play elsewhere as it is hard to come by tee times 2 weeks out.

... Personally I would not play Lookout Mountain for free if I had to pay for my gas to drive there. I have not played McDowell Mt so I can't compare. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Personally I would not play Lookout Mountain for free if I had to pay for my gas to drive there. I have not played McDowell Mt so I can't compare. 

Interesting. How come? Conditions? Design? Value or lack thereof? Bad experience?

These are very different course choices than I would normally play when going to the area. 

19 minutes ago, R4haehl said:

Interesting. How come? Conditions? Design? Value or lack thereof? Bad experience?

These are very different course choices than I would normally play when going to the area. 

... I played it once and said never again. A friend was in town a few years later and talked me into playing it again and it was just as bad. It starts with a drive of about a 1/4 mile to the first tee and we were met by a grumpy starter. We were a twosome and 2 singles and one of the singles was late (called but still not checked in) and the starter was annoyed with us because of a stranger. For me it just feels like several completely different courses that have been pieced together. 
... Conditions are spotty and I find it a very quirky layout that is out in the open or deep in homes so visually a kinda strange combo. One very short par 3 has severe slope back to front and is basically a circus green because if it is even just over moderate speed the ball will not stay on the green from above the hole depending on pin placement. Some blind shots and another really weird tee shot downhill with a DI or hybrid to a grass ditch where you can't see the flag that is way above you. I may be a bit harsh in my assessment but I think there are just soooooo many better courses in the Phoenix area. 

1 hour ago, R4haehl said:

Heading to Scottsdale for a bachelor party at end of month. I have played quite a bit of golf in the area in the past and we are only playing 1 round on this trip. Group of 10 and I would consider myself the only golf sicko. Goal was to have green fee between $150-200 and have proximity to the house we were staying of about 20-30 min. I booked some times about a month ago (maybe even 1.5 mo ago) and was surprised to see how much was already booked that far in advance.

That said, I have tee times booked at:

- Lookout Mountain

- McDowell Mountain

Someone I spoke to who had played both told me for a bachelor party they would choose Lookout over McDowell for the elevation change on the course and that it has 5 par 3s and 5 par 5s. He mentioned that McDowell is underrated but is very much a normal course and not much to remember about it.

Any feedback appreciated between the 2 chosen. At this point not looking to play elsewhere as it is hard to come by tee times 2 weeks out.

People I've met who aren't really that into golf or who are mainly out there to drink who have played Lookout Mountain have generally liked it (I guess being drunk helps? lol). Most avid and low-mid handicap golfers I know hate it, including probably all the regulars on this site. Personally, I think it has some truly garbage holes (1, 7, 8, 9, 15, 16, 17), some kinda interesting/fun ones (10 through 14) and some ho-hum ones (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 18). I used to play it a bit on weekday afternoons in summer when I worked nearby, back when you could pay $25 and fly around it without seeing another soul, but those days are over.

I think McDowell Mountain is a decent course but way overpriced for what it is right now, and it's probably not that memorable for a non-golf sicko. Whereas your buds will probably all take pictures of each other on the 10th tee at Lookout Mountain and remember the course, even if for how goofy some of it is. Sort of a situation where a course that is technically garbage architecture might actually be fitting for a certain clientele (non-golf sickos in town for a bachelor party and staying nearby).

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

Every last part of it and then some.  The facilities for practice are horrid; the 19th hole is not good; conditions will be so sketch and variable; terrible design.

But as Mr Bonneville states - For the BP, Lookout will serve the purpose and enjoy the few good holes/shots & views presented.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

Appreciate it @Bonneville85308 @puttnforthe8 Knowing this, I will probably hate it being the only golf sicko in this group lol - If it was my choice I would take these guys out to Quintero but they don't want to drive an hour each way or pay $275 or whatever they charge currently. I think Lookout is ~$150ish and McDowell is ~$180ish. Only other comparable pricewise/driving distance(only about 10 min drive) that I considered was McCormick which I played one of those courses a few years ago and left unimpressed. 

Appreciate it @Bonneville85308 @puttnforthe8 Knowing this, I will probably hate it being the only golf sicko in this group lol - If it was my choice I would take these guys out to Quintero but they don't want to drive an hour each way or pay $275 or whatever they charge currently. I think Lookout is ~$150ish and McDowell is ~$180ish. Only other comparable pricewise/driving distance(only about 10 min drive) that I considered was McCormick which I played one of those courses a few years ago and left unimpressed. 

I put a special event together for a high handicap group of 16.  We played 3 courses.  Two very low level courses (on par with Lookout) and one upper mid level course.  True to form they loved the low level (Easy and wide open goat pasture) and have griped for years at the cost of the upper mid.  Go with the cheapest.  Nobody will probably care.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:52 PM, R4haehl said:

McDowell isn't worth 180 bucks at all but I know your pain of putting a group together. Tee times are so tough right now you got to do whatever you can. McDowell has a good 19 hole or the Vig down the street would be great after.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pips said:

Estrella Golf Club has a VIP Rate (Free Replay + lunch + 12 balls).

Has anyone done this recently, and advise if you can get in 36 holes easily if teeing off at 8:30 am ish.

Also, how are the course conditions at Estrella in this year...thinking of making the trip in mid-late April.

I saw pictures online that Estrella's greens were struggling with a disease a couple weeks ago. We cancelled our tee time at Estrella after we saw photos of how bad the state of the greens were. We played Verrado (Victory) instead and had a great time.

Edited by doc52

2 minutes ago, doc52 said:

I saw pictures online that Estrella's greens were riddled with disease a couple weeks ago. We cancelled our tee time at Estrella after we saw photos of how bad the state of the greens were. We played Verrado (Victory) instead and had a great time.

There were issues with the greens last year. Course had made a good recovery. Last report from a week ago, a buddy played said their greens are fine. 

• Like 1

Just now, AzSuperHack76 said:

There were issues with the greens last year. Course had made a good recovery. Last report from a week ago, a buddy played said their greens are fine. 

Pictures could have easily been old, the post was from 2022.

6 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

... Good to hear. This is from last year and I have not been back since:

1858631133_Estrella1.JPG.1f8036cf5a73f08c1e001074ec27bcfa.JPG1302698148_Estrella2.JPG.d5035c4b9680579dcfa18002072350af.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Good to hear. This is from last year and I have not been back since:

1858631133_Estrella1.JPG.1f8036cf5a73f08c1e001074ec27bcfa.JPG1302698148_Estrella2.JPG.d5035c4b9680579dcfa18002072350af.JPG

I saw similar photos online and cancelled the reservation right away lol.

The rates are the highest I’ve seen all over the valley right now. Troon North up to $411 for prime tee times. Grayhawk in the $350 range. TPC Stadium at $480. Even the Wekopa resident rate at $200. Makes me wonder how high the summer tee times will be priced this year. The covid golf boom is real.

Edited by AdExec
  • Sad 2