Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

1 minute ago, loc said:

Sorry if you took it that way, did not mean any disrespect. The prices are just estimates since you cannot see out to April on most of the courses. So they were guesses based On what information is available.   Thanks for your help in advance. 

Here are some suggestions for you then:   Legend at Arrowhead, Ken McDonald, Silverado, Apache Creek, The Foothills, and The Country Club of Ahwatukee.   Enjoy your golf!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Here are some suggestions for you then:   Legend at Arrowhead, Ken McDonald, Silverado, Apache Creek, The Foothills, and The Country Club of Ahwatukee.   Enjoy your golf!

Thanks so much. I will check them out. 

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

14 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Thanks again. Being from Pittsburgh we play tree lined and woods, we typically like the "non housed" houses per say in AZ for the scenery and such. If you had to pick just one of these courses you mentioned what one would it be?

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

11 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

You probably carved it up in those conditions!

I wish! My driver head split the day before and I put an old one in the bag, did not drive it well. Came home and looked at my driver and I had it all messed up lol, wrong weights, face set wide open. Whoops.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

9 hours ago, loc said:

Thanks again. Being from Pittsburgh we play tree lined and woods, we typically like the "non housed" houses per say in AZ for the scenery and such. If you had to pick just one of these courses you mentioned what one would it be?

None, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Not sure why....

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, pallagrin said:

Love the XV's and also feel that the Q Star Tours are a bit too soft for me. Personally, I'd play the Project A's over the Q-Tours but whether or not I'd give up the XV's for TP5/X is questionable. Srixon's sale was a great marketing tactic and I may be hooked!

Did not mean any harm, I guess he is upset with me with the pricing comment. Just trying to figure out a nice week of golf.  

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

1 hour ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

None, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Not sure why....

Sort of, but feel free to suggest golf courses under $100 in prime season to someone who does not seem to care about or value people's inputs.  He was given plenty of options and in turn p___ on people's input.   

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Sort of, but feel free to suggest golf courses under $100 in prime season to someone who does not seem to care about or value people's inputs.  He was given plenty of options and in turn p___ on people's input.   

I saw he had apologized. I wouldn’t wish those courses on my worst enemy. 😜

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I tried to explain but you are not accepting the reasoning. I’ll be fine finding courses on my own. Geeze.  

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

23 minutes ago, loc said:

I tried to explain but you are not accepting the reasoning. I’ll be fine finding courses on my own. Geeze.  

The reality is you're going to have a pretty difficult time finding what you're looking for. You're coming right at the end of peak season, so unless you're willing to compromise on something $100 is pretty challenging. Like here's a good example - there's what you'd call an average muni style course inside a 55+ RV community, nice for what it is, but it's still only a par 69 and like 6k yards from the tips. From mid-May through September it's a great $15 round of golf (including cart!). But in April pre-covid they charged $80 a round. This year it's going to be $95. If you're willing to go off at like 6am or after 1pm, or weekdays only rates can be in the $100 price range for places like Papago or Longbow. Other option is to have a Troon card for some discounts of course options that might bring them down to. 

But the best way to make what you're looking for happen is to know someone friendly who invites you to their club, because a round of golf with new friends can be fun and you've got a great course that's easy to get people on at decent prices. But even my club's guest dues fluctuate depending on the week, swinging close to $70 in a span of 5 weeks between April and May as peak season ends and snowbirds leave the state. Which is precisely why I asked which exact week you were traveling, before you send that weirdly harsh toned reply just because I wanted to make sure you had decent budget numbers. 

Good luck in your searches, Papago and Longbow should at least give you a place to start for what I'd call "entry level courses for travelers". Anything below that you'd probably be disappointed, above that starts to stretch in cost. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SilenceX said:

The reality is you're going to have a pretty difficult time finding what you're looking for. You're coming right at the end of peak season, so unless you're willing to compromise on something $100 is pretty challenging. Like here's a good example - there's what you'd call an average muni style course inside a 55+ RV community, nice for what it is, but it's still only a par 69 and like 6k yards from the tips. From mid-May through September it's a great $15 round of golf (including cart!). But in April pre-covid they charged $80 a round. This year it's going to be $95. If you're willing to go off at like 6am or after 1pm, or weekdays only rates can be in the $100 price range for places like Papago or Longbow. Other option is to have a Troon card for some discounts of course options that might bring them down to. 

But the best way to make what you're looking for happen is to know someone friendly who invites you to their club, because a round of golf with new friends can be fun and you've got a great course that's easy to get people on at decent prices. But even my club's guest dues fluctuate depending on the week, swinging close to $70 in a span of 5 weeks between April and May as peak season ends and snowbirds leave the state. Which is precisely why I asked which exact week you were traveling, before you send that weirdly harsh toned reply just because I wanted to make sure you had decent budget numbers. 

Good luck in your searches, Papago and Longbow should at least give you a place to start for what I'd call "entry level courses for travelers". Anything below that you'd probably be disappointed, above that starts to stretch in cost. 

Good post and I found exactly what you explained above.  I jotted down some prices last night of courses around Phoenix.  

February prices

Quintero-$300+, Scottsdale

Wickenburg Ranch-$269-$145.  As low as $115 on golfnow

Southern Dunes-$109-$87, South of Phoenix.

Longbow-$113-$80, Mesa.  13 miles from Phoenix

We-ko-pa-$275 winter.  $80(June6-Sept1), Scottsdale

Troon North Pinnacle-$325-$199, Scottsdale

Grayhawk-$300+ for both, Scottsdale

Aguila-$55-$39, Phoenix…city course

Los Caballeros-$145-$85

Papago-$199, Phoenix

Poston Butte-As low as $26 in the summer.  $65 winter.  South of Phoenix.

Silverado-$99-$54.  Scottsdale

Laughlin Ranch-$75, Bullhead City

The higher prices are for mornings and the lower are afternoon.  I also jotted down where the courses are as I'm not familiar with the area.  You can ignore that. 😉

Edited by soregongolfer

11 hours ago, SilenceX said:

Thank you sir for the time to write this post. It’s appreciated. This is my 10 year coming out in April love the weather never above 93 for the most part and typically mid 80’s. 

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

9 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

Good post and I found exactly what you explained above.  I jotted down some prices last night of courses around Phoenix.  

February prices

Quintero-$300+, Scottsdale

Wickenburg Ranch-$269-$145.  As low as $115 on golfnow

Southern Dunes-$109-$87, South of Phoenix.

Longbow-$113-$80, Mesa.  13 miles from Phoenix

We-ko-pa-$275 winter.  $80(June6-Sept1), Scottsdale

Troon North Pinnacle-$325-$199, Scottsdale

Grayhawk-$300+ for both, Scottsdale

Aguila-$55-$39, Phoenix…city course

Los Caballeros-$145-$85

Papago-$199, Phoenix

Poston Butte-As low as $26 in the summer.  $65 winter.  South of Phoenix.

Silverado-$99-$54.  Scottsdale

Laughlin Ranch-$75, Bullhead City

The higher prices are for mornings and the lower are afternoon.  I also jotted down where the courses are as I'm not familiar with the area.  You can ignore that. 😉

Great. Thanks. I also developed an extensive spreadsheet over the years. Just crazy these days. We played Quintero in 2018 for $153. Now $265 plus.  Just nuts.  it’s hard to replay some of these with the “dynamic” pricing they use now. Also seems Troon has bought up everything. 

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

3 hours ago, loc said:

Great. Thanks. I also developed an extensive spreadsheet over the years. Just crazy these days. We played Quintero in 2018 for $153. Now $265 plus.  Just nuts.  it’s hard to replay some of these with the “dynamic” pricing they use now. Also seems Troon has bought up everything. 

The prices are nuts.  Due to that, I'm planning on a summer trip instead.  I can handle heat as long as there's a little breeze.  

5 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

The prices are nuts.  Due to that, I'm planning on a summer trip instead.  I can handle heat as long as there's a little breeze.  

Lol that breeze feels like a hair dryer when it’s 110 and blowing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Where do you guys practice putting in North Scottsdale? I live by Grahawk and used to only putt there but they have turned into Karen's. They kick you off fairly quick. Same with TPC champion course. McDowell Mt putting green isn't (built on the left over dirt pile)very good and completely packed out at all times. Any ideas by Deer Valley/Hayden?

2 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Where do you guys practice putting in North Scottsdale? I live by Grahawk and used to only putt there but they have turned into Karen's. They kick you off fairly quick. Same with TPC champion course. McDowell Mt putting green isn't (built on the left over dirt pile)very good and completely packed out at all times. Any ideas by Deer Valley/Hayden?

Legend Trail probably doesn't care.  Troon North is probably too busy to notice - not sure if they would care - I have practiced there without playing before and nobody bothered me.   WIldfire maybe?  After that you get into Kierland who haven't cared the few times I went (but once I did say I was staying at the resort when they asked about a tee time).

22 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Legend Trail probably doesn't care.  Troon North is probably too busy to notice - not sure if they would care - I have practiced there without playing before and nobody bothered me.   WIldfire maybe?  After that you get into Kierland who haven't cared the few times I went (but once I did say I was staying at the resort when they asked about a tee time).

I always forget about Wildfire. I'll try that one for sure. I'm pretty close to it actually once I drive accross dynamite. At the Talon I thought how did they notice me. I was out there for 20 min or so then I realized it was probably my earbuds in because who wears that before playing a round of golf. Place was so packed out. TPC Champions never cared until using CV19 convince to charge 40 bucks to practice per day vs selling bags to say it is safer. 

Coming down Feb 15-23. Looking to play about five rounds. This is my third trip to Scottsdale for golf, but my first in peak szn. Prior two were in April and early September. I was surprised, but September conditions beat April pretty easily.

I am looking to replay some of the top end courses to see what the courses are like in peak times. i.e. Grayhawk in September/April didn't do it as justice. Although, Wekopa in September was flawless and not nearly as good in April.

So far: I have booked both Wekopa courses.

I really want to hit up Wickenberg again. Debating in Grayhawk Raptor is worth the cost. I loved Troon North in April, but cost just seems too high. 

So far the ones I have played in my two trips are: Both Wekopa, Both Grayhawk, Camelback Ambiente, Quintero, Wickenberg, TPC Stadium, Arizona Golf Resort, Oak Creek Sedona, Troon North (think it was pinnacle, but cant remember), Southern Dunnes, Whirlwind. 

At a conditions & scenic snob, where do you guys suggest I hit up? I am going solo & upper 80s golfer. Probably going to pay the 3 bills and play Wickenberg again. I played in August and loved the course although conditions that time of year was definitely spotty. 

Thanks!

Edited by mretrade

56 minutes ago, mretrade said:

Coming down Feb 15-23. Looking to play about five rounds. This is my third trip to Scottsdale for golf, but my first in peak szn. Prior two were in April and early September. I was surprised, but September conditions beat April pretty easily.

I am looking to replay some of the top end courses to see what the courses are like in peak times. i.e. Grayhawk in September/April didn't do it as justice. Although, Wekopa in September was flawless and not nearly as good in April.

So far: I have booked both Wekopa courses.

I really want to hit up Wickenberg again. Debating in Grayhawk Raptor is worth the cost. I loved Troon North in April, but cost just seems too high. 

So far the ones I have played in my two trips are: Both Wekopa, Both Grayhawk, Camelback Ambiente, Quintero, Wickenberg, TPC Stadium, Arizona Golf Resort, Oak Creek Sedona, Troon North (think it was pinnacle, but cant remember), Southern Dunnes, Whirlwind. 

At a conditions & scenic snob, where do you guys suggest I hit up? I am going solo & upper 80s golfer. Probably going to pay the 3 bills and play Wickenberg again. I played in August and loved the course although conditions that time of year was definitely spotty. 

Thanks!

September is by far the best time to play golf here.  Right before the overseed the courses are playing the way they are intended to play.

For your specific request:  Verrado (Founders course) will meet your desire for the better scenery, but the other course (Victory) is not as bad.   Since you are willing to drive, you may want to see if Seven Canyon in Sedona will extend their Member for a Day offer and let you on - that is by far the most scenic course in AZ.  It will be coldish (50s-60s).   The other course/s to consider would be the Boulders course.

Not the best course, but for scenic and conditions should be good, visitors love Dinosaur Mountain.

Again, if you are willing to drive out to Wickenburg, then you should just consider Tucson and go play Dove Mountain or Ventana Canyon; maybe one of the other ones too (Sewailo).

Other than these the next level would be Estrella Mountain (used to be better but houses now have been built everywhere and takes away on more holes).   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

September is by far the best time to play golf here.  Right before the overseed the courses are playing the way they are intended to play.

For your specific request:  Verrado (Founders course) will meet your desire for the better scenery, but the other course (Victory) is not as bad.   Since you are willing to drive, you may want to see if Seven Canyon in Sedona will extend their Member for a Day offer and let you on - that is by far the most scenic course in AZ.  It will be coldish (50s-60s).   The other course/s to consider would be the Boulders course.

Not the best course, but for scenic and conditions should be good, visitors love Dinosaur Mountain.

Again, if you are willing to drive out to Wickenburg, then you should just consider Tucson and go play Dove Mountain or Ventana Canyon; maybe one of the other ones too (Sewailo).

Other than these the next level would be Estrella Mountain (used to be better but houses now have been built everywhere and takes away on more holes).   

Thanks this is very helpful. How do the multiple courses work on Dove Mountain? Is it seasonal? Seems like all the T times I see for that week say dove mountain 1?

1 hour ago, mretrade said:

Thanks this is very helpful. How do the multiple courses work on Dove Mountain? Is it seasonal? Seems like all the T times I see for that week say dove mountain 1?

They have 3 nines - Sometimes they close one of the 9s down for one reason or another or sometimes they run all the 9s.  So it depends on what they are doing.  DM 1 means they will start you on whichever 9 they are starting people on that day (you can call and ask if you really need to know).   If they have all the 9s open, they may then send every other group onto a different 2nd 9 to maximize tee times and POP.  However, most likely is there will only be 2 9s open and you get whatever they are that day/week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

+1 for Dove Mountain or Ventana Canyon. Played both last year and had a blast. 

• Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

22 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

They have 3 nines - Sometimes they close one of the 9s down for one reason or another or sometimes they run all the 9s.  So it depends on what they are doing.  DM 1 means they will start you on whichever 9 they are starting people on that day (you can call and ask if you really need to know).   If they have all the 9s open, they may then send every other group onto a different 2nd 9 to maximize tee times and POP.  However, most likely is there will only be 2 9s open and you get whatever they are that day/week.

If you had to play just one course in Tucson, would you play Ventana or Dove Mountain?

I am staying out near Grayhawk so the drive is about an hour longer than Wickenberg. Based on what I see online, it seems like Ventana - Mountain course looks awesome, especially that classic 3rd hole. Would that be your choice?

Both courses look amazing and honestly they seem affordable for this time of year and the quality.

2 hours ago, mretrade said:

If you had to play just one course in Tucson, would you play Ventana or Dove Mountain?

I am staying out near Grayhawk so the drive is about an hour longer than Wickenberg. Based on what I see online, it seems like Ventana - Mountain course looks awesome, especially that classic 3rd hole. Would that be your choice?

Both courses look amazing and honestly they seem affordable for this time of year and the quality.

Wow, that's tough - but I would probably do Ventana Canyon Mountain - it is just more fun.  I always feel like I am grinding at Dove because it is tougher.  But it is more remote - which is the plus, fewer buildings, etc. and being back in the Marana mountains are nice.  

If you don't like Nicklaus courses, then play Ventana for sure.  

I am sure someone else will chime in - but it is almost 50/50 for me.  You may need to call and ask which 9s will be played.  If it is Saguaro and Tortolita - then play Dove; if Wild Burro is one of the 9s, then play Ventana.    

• Like 2