Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

1 minute ago, Austincountyag said:

just looked online and Talking Stick O'odham is $35 for an afternoon round in May when we fly in. Is that worth it to play compared to say TPC champions at $100?

To me I prefer the Champions Course, but Talking Stick North/O'odaham for $35 is a no brainer to me, I'd play Talking Stick. 

3 minutes ago, Aaf09001 said:

Going to Scottsdale for my bachelor party during Masters week. So far we have booked:

Tuesday: Arrival and golf at Sterling Grove

Wednesday: Southern Dunes

Thursday: Quintero

Friday: Verrado Founders & Victory

Saturday: TBD deciding between Dove Valley, McCormick Ranch Pines, and Legacy any suggestions? We are looking for a twilight round so we can watch the masters during the day and golf in the afternoon. Hoping to keep last round under $100.

Solid line up! For Saturday I'd play Legacy over Dove Valley and McCormick, and it's not even close. Other sub $100 options you could consider for Saturday would be Papago, GCU or Aguila. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Solid line up! For Saturday I'd play Legacy over Dove Valley and McCormick, and it's not even close. Other sub $100 options you could consider for Saturday would be Papago, GCU or Aguila. 

Appreciate that input. I like the idea of playing a muni like GCU or Aguila. You prefer one of those two over the other?

45 minutes ago, Aaf09001 said:

Appreciate that input. I like the idea of playing a muni like GCU or Aguila. You prefer one of those two over the other?

Aguila over GCU for sure. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Got my courses all lined up. Staying in North Scottsdale just east of the loop.

what good bars or breweries or places to eat in that area?  Is the tilted kilt closed? 

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

19 minutes ago, loc said:

Got my courses all lined up. Staying in North Scottsdale just east of the loop.

what good bars or breweries or places to eat in that area?  Is the tilted kilt closed? 

Just east of 101?  That is a pretty large section that you could be talking about.  If you're talking about that Tilted Kilt that used to be at Cactus and Tatum then, yes, I think it is closed.  I wouldn't consider that to fall into the "good bars or breweries" realm though.  Pretty sure that it was taken over by a Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers which is fine.  Certainly much better than any of the generic chains.  If you want a good burger I'd suggest the Ivan at The Attic in Arcadia.  If you want a good brewery in the immediate area (I'm guessing because I have no idea where you are actually staying) Loco Patron is probably the best up north.  It is actually really good and shockingly cheap.  San Tan and Four Peaks are the best breweries/restaurants in the area but it is unlikely you are staying close to either.

State 48 Brewery in Scottsdale isn't bad. Large open bar and a good selection of beers. 

O.H.S.O is also decent and very close to State 48. Four Peaks used to be next door, but they closed last year. They have a brewpub in Tempe. I'd say it's worth the drive. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

42 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

State 48 Brewery in Scottsdale isn't bad. Large open bar and a good selection of beers. 

O.H.S.O is also decent and very close to State 48. Four Peaks used to be next door, but they closed last year. They have a brewpub in Tempe. I'd say it's worth the drive. 

This is also good advice.  OHSO is really good and not too far north of where you'll be or another one around where the old Tilted Kilt location was.  Can't believe I left that one out.  There's another one of those near The Attic as well.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, Argonne69 said:

Aguila over GCU for sure. 

Second that. 

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys! Heading to Anthem for a week and looking for some course recommendations! Seems like the Anthem courses are pretty good, but maybe not worth it? 

What are the must play courses within say 45 mins of Anthem? Looking to pay around $125 tops. Currently looking at Dove Valley, Sterling Grove, TPC Stadium, Trilogy, and Lookout Mountain.

Only have time for 2 or 3 courses so let me know your thoughts!!

When are you visiting? It makes a huge difference in price if we are talking next week vs say July.

The Anthem courses are private, you probably won't be able to get on unless you are a member of a Club Corp place somewhere else or are a guest of a member.

You probably won't be able to get on TPC Stadium for under $125 unless we are talking about a weekday in July/August.

Lookout Mountain is regarded very poorly on this forum and is overpriced for what they charge. Skip it.

Most of the "must play" courses are over $125 right now so you will probably need to compromise either on the upper limit of your budget, or play something more "average".

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

When are you visiting? It makes a huge difference in price if we are talking next week vs say July.

The Anthem courses are private, you probably won't be able to get on unless you are a member of a Club Corp place somewhere else or are a guest of a member.

You probably won't be able to get on TPC Stadium for under $125 unless we are talking about a weekday in July/August.

Lookout Mountain is regarded very poorly on this forum and is overpriced for what they charge. Skip it.

Most of the "must play" courses are over $125 right now so you will probably need to compromise either on the upper limit of your budget, or play something more "average".

Gotcha! I'll be there tonight lol. Planning on playing early next week Tues/Wed. I can compromise on price :) I am visiting someone in Anthem with a social membership to the course so should be able to get on if I want. Just not sure it's worth it. Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Goodies12 said:

Gotcha! I'll be there tonight lol. Planning on playing early next week Tues/Wed. I can compromise on price 🙂 I am visiting someone in Anthem with a social membership to the course so should be able to get on if I want. Just not sure it's worth it. Thanks for the help!

Both Anthem courses are very good...not sure where you are getting "not worth it" from?

Aside from that Sterling and Vistancia are in superb shape.  Those are the main options.  Although, I will throw a nod for Copper Canyon, as it is in pretty good condition and fun to play.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JMATHEEENS said:

What are peoples thoughts on Boulders South vs. Quintero? I have a tee time lined up for each in a few weeks and we are trying to decide which course to play.

We will be playing Ak Chin Southern Dunes on Thursday, both We Ko Pa Courses on Friday, and Greyhawk Raptor on Sunday.

I haven’t played it so can only echo what I have heard from others. No one, on this site at least, seems to think too much of either Boulders course. A lot of people seem to think visitors will enjoy Quintero for the views but usually don’t think too highly of it from a pure golf standpoint. 

After playing Sterling Grove I would make a strong recommendation for it. Fantastic shape and a fun course. No two par 3s felt the same and excellent short par 4s. 9 was my favorite but none of the par 5s were overly special in my opinion. However, if you’re itching for a desert course it is not. Some desert areas are in play but it’s more of a traditional parkland course without the mature trees. The amount of green playing space made it more about angles of attack and less about target golf. Played it last week for $110 and it felt like a steal. 

2 hours ago, JMATHEEENS said:

What are peoples thoughts on Boulders South vs. Quintero? I have a tee time lined up for each in a few weeks and we are trying to decide which course to play.

We will be playing Ak Chin Southern Dunes on Thursday, both We Ko Pa Courses on Friday, and Greyhawk Raptor on Sunday.

As a visitor, Quintero would be a 9 out of 10 play. 

Note:  It's Grayhawk.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our 15th+ year traveling to Scottsdale to play 11 rounds of golf in 6 days.  This year we will be there from May 1st to May 8th.  Our must play courses are:  Quintero, We Ko Pa, Southern Dunes, Verrado, and Troon North.  Grayhawk use to be in the rotation until they started pricing them self as if they were Pebble Beach.  Boulders was also in the rotation in the past.  We have played Wickenburg Ranch also.  However, it is hard to get a tee time there now if you are outside play.  I need a suggestion for a course to play on Friday, May 7th (18 holes) that are equal or close to the quality of the courses listed above.  Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

11 minutes ago, johnm95443 said:

This will be our 15th+ year traveling to Scottsdale to play 11 rounds of golf in 6 days.  This year we will be there from May 1st to May 8th.  Our must play courses are:  Quintero, We Ko Pa, Southern Dunes, Verrado, and Troon North.  Grayhawk use to be in the rotation until they started pricing them self as if they were Pebble Beach.  Boulders was also in the rotation in the past.  We have played Wickenburg Ranch also.  However, it is hard to get a tee time there now if you are outside play.  I need a suggestion for a course to play on Friday, May 7th (18 holes) that are equal or close to the quality of the courses listed above.  Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

I more than likely will be there that week waiting on approval from work

Southern Dunes would be my suggestion

Edited by cbbaron

1 hour ago, johnm95443 said:

LOL.... This doesn't even make sense.

Anyways, Verde River, Sterling Grove are the only thing close.  Next tier is Vistancia, Estrella, Whirlwind,  maybe Longbow.  

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

Looking for some average eats besides bar food in north Scottsdale area. Something besides sandwiches and pizza. 

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

5 hours ago, cbbaron said:

Better Italian food than Nicks or Isabellas but Michilenas on Shea in Phoenix good

I used to love Maggiano’s. Quality has gone down dramatically over the past few years as they continued to expand. Admittedly I have not been to the Scottsdale location so maybe it is better than others. I have had good luck at Spiga Cucina. 

15 hours ago, cbbaron said:

Maggianos for Italian my theory if you're chain Italian and you can make it in New York and Boston you have to be pretty good and it is

12 hours ago, toypor said:

Quite possibly the worst ever Scottsdale restaurant advice 😂😂😂

Shorter wait than at Olive Garden!   🥺

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, loc said:

Looking for some average eats besides bar food in north Scottsdale area. Something besides sandwiches and pizza. 

I would try The Thumb BBQ.  Great place.  Kinda funky.  It sits in a Gas Station/Car Wash (although a nice one - it is North Scottsdale...).  Pretty sure the place was on DDD years ago.  Its very solid.

If you want some different kind of burgers you could check out Paradise Valley Burger Company.  The place is awesome.  My waistline is super grateful i don't live near it.

5 hours ago, toypor said:

I used to love Maggiano’s. Quality has gone down dramatically over the past few years as they continued to expand. Admittedly I have not been to the Scottsdale location so maybe it is better than others. I have had good luck at Spiga Cucina. 

I also like Guidos on Shea and Scottsdale