Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

On 1/17/2021 at 7:49 PM, sethdavidsdad said:

Our plans just changed and going to Scottsdale instead of Palm Springs due to lock downs. So, I’m just starting to research may just steal your plans, haha. Any of the courses you played last trip that you would recommend? We are there for 8 days but probably only play 18 per day

We all lived Quintero the most, but also enjoyed southern dunes.  These two we would definitely play again in the future, if not for us wanting to play new and unplaced courses.  

Our foursome has been travelling to Arizona over Super Bowl weekend (also Waste Management weekend) for several decades. We typically golf in the Phoenix area but the last two years we golfed in Tucson. Since I'm the lucky guy who books the courses I noticed that prices are historically high for the Phoenix area. Do you think that's a short term thing due to Covid or are high prices in the Phoenix area here to stay?

Im not in the golf industry so Im sure there are better perspectives, but IMO:

1. Prices are up because more golfers are playing more rounds due to the pandemic.

2. More visitors are playing more rounds because Arizona is a relatively open state during the pandemic driving a healthy tourism rate.

3. Courses are perfecting the dynamic pricing model. 

Two of the three drivers are related to pandemic issues so it is plausible that prices may come down slightly in the future.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

I don't see prices coming down. I've been coming to Phoenix annually for at least 12 years. A decade ago you could find resident rates at many courses, and discount rates at many places. 

Now there are only a small number of courses offering resident rates. There are just so many out of towners to fill the tee sheets to bother offering discounts to locals. 

For travelers, well good luck. There are some deals out there, but the average rack rate is up 20 percent at least. Heck, some of the popular courses are up more than 50 percent. I just looked at Quintero, and it's over $200. I think I paid $100 ten years ago. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

Argo, if I give you $500 to spend on golf in Scottsdale/Phoenix this week how would you spend it? You go there every year so you probably have a good feel for what is value. Ch

Hmmm, interesting. One could easily spend it on two rounds at the high end courses, as most are charging $200+ at this time. Or, one could play more rounds at the "value" courses.

I'd probably play Southern Dunes, We Ko Pa Saguaro, and both courses at Verrado. SD can be played for under $100 midweek if you find a deal, which isn't hard. We Ko Pa is $265. Verrado has a 36 hole special for under $200. 

We Ko Pa might blow the budget, so I'd swap it for Wickenburg Ranch ($136). Los Caballeros is also a decent value at $95. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

59 minutes ago, scott19 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed 100 times but hoping for a quick answer. Any suggestions on a good spot in the $70-$80 range around this time of year? I'm heading to Phoenix in 10 days.

Tough right now to find any course sub $100 but Aguila may be an option. Municipal course in south Phoenix.  It’s absolute peak season now. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, azgolfer44 said:

Tough right now to find any course sub $100 but Aguila may be an option. Municipal course in south Phoenix.  It’s absolute peak season now. 

Or Grand Canyon University GC, another muni. Wigwam Red isn't bad.

3 hours ago, scott19 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed 100 times but hoping for a quick answer. Any suggestions on a good spot in the $70-$80 range around this time of year? I'm heading to Phoenix in 10 days.

morning or afternoon time? If you don’t care if you play after 1pm then a lot more options. 

location matter?

Played GCU last weekend and it was in great shape with the greens rolling at 13.  defensive putting all day long.  Great muni deal.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

15 minutes ago, Skydiver22 said:

Played GCU last weekend and it was in great shape with the greens rolling at 13.  defensive putting all day long.  Great muni deal.

Who would want to play at a muni that had greens running at 13?  I have seen with my own eyes a stimp reading of 13.3 taken and played in a field where the highest handicap was 2. The round took almost 5.5 hours because it was nearly unplayable for the majority of the field. Any normal public course playing above 11.5 would result in ridiculously long rounds that would suck for everyone. That number is probably too high but it is certainly at or above the top limit of what normal people can play. The vast majority of the last 15 years my handicap has floated between .5-2 and I’m fine playing 7200 yards+ but if I had to play greens rolling at 13 regularly I would quit the game tomorrow because every round would take a lifetime. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

morning or afternoon time? If you don’t care if you play after 1pm then a lot more options. 

location matter?

Ideally something before twilight and not looking to drive more than 30 minutes outside the city, which I know really narrows things down. I'm learning quickly that my price expectations were way off! I've blocked a time at Wig Wam Red at $79 for now. I had narrowed it down to that, Aguila, and GCU. Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, scott19 said:

Ideally something before twilight and not looking to drive more than 30 minutes outside the city, which I know really narrows things down. I'm learning quickly that my price expectations were way off! I've blocked a time at Wig Wam Red at $79 for now. I had narrowed it down to that, Aguila, and GCU. Thoughts?

One option is you’re flexible is to look at some of courses with “daily deals” like Papago, Vistancia (those are two I can think of top of my head). You can sign up for each course and get a 20% off 1x code. Papago has morning times a few days of the week it seems like. Even not using the code there is some decent pricing and much better than rack rate. 

Otherwise the new Nicklaus course Sterling Grove has discounted rates under $90 for AM times since they are just opening. But depends where you are if that may be too far west. 

I'd try to get on at Aguila. 

21 hours ago, azmx said:

Who would want to play at a muni that had greens running at 13?  I have seen with my own eyes a stimp reading of 13.3 taken and played in a field where the highest handicap was 2. The round took almost 5.5 hours because it was nearly unplayable for the majority of the field. Any normal public course playing above 11.5 would result in ridiculously long rounds that would suck for everyone. That number is probably too high but it is certainly at or above the top limit of what normal people can play. The vast majority of the last 15 years my handicap has floated between .5-2 and I’m fine playing 7200 yards+ but if I had to play greens rolling at 13 regularly I would quit the game tomorrow because every round would take a lifetime. 

4:40 round in a tourney...  Shot 69 with a double on 13, four putt from 12 feet.   It was a great test and fun round.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

59 minutes ago, Aaf09001 said:

Has anyone played Sterling Grove? I come to Scottsdale in April and know this is a new course and videos look pretty interesting. Looking to see if this is worth playing over either Founders or Golf Club of Estrella.

I'm playing it next Tuesday. It opens for public play on Thursday. I imagine it'll be a decent Jack Nicklaus course with generous fairways, punishing fairway bunkers, and crazy greens. I bet the greens will be rock hard given that it's newly opened. For $89 it will probably be a bargain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aaf09001 said:

Has anyone played Sterling Grove? I come to Scottsdale in April and know this is a new course and videos look pretty interesting. Looking to see if this is worth playing over either Founders or Golf Club of Estrella.

Playing it this weekend, will follow up with a review after the round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, Argonne69 said:

I'm playing it next Tuesday. It opens for public play on Thursday. I imagine it'll be a decent Jack Nicklaus course with generous fairways, punishing fairway bunkers, and crazy greens. I bet the greens will be rock hard given that it's newly opened. For $89 it will probably be a bargain.

Played sterling grove today. Beautiful course. Big lush fairways. Greens were very hard and fast. Greens were more link style mounds with run offs mowed down all around. Big greens  lots of mounds.  Pins were in so very difficult locations, surprising for first open day. Also surprised at the number of bad spots in the greens. Didn’t affect the putting but just expected greens to be perfect like the fairways. 

Edited by sethdavidsdad
  • Thanks 3

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

1 hour ago, sethdavidsdad said:

Played sterling grove today. Beautiful course. Big lush fairways. Greens were very hard and fast. Greens were more link style mounds with run offs mowed down all around. Big greens  lots of mounds.  Pins were in so very difficult locations, surprising for first open day. Also surprised at the number of bad spots in the greens. Didn’t affect the putting but just expected greens to be perfect like the fairways. 

Thanks for the review. Was hoping someone would post after today. 

I’m coming in for a quick 3 day trip (36-36-18) next week and have 2 days with morning times there. Debating whether to play it twice or just the once.  It was tough to pass up those rates for a morning time. 

Sounds like it has enough going on around the greens it’ll play be fun and play different with different pins? Still debating if I should be elsewhere or maybe skip 1 round. 

14 hours ago, sethdavidsdad said:

Greens are expected to be very firm/hard on a new course, some take a couple years to settle in and soften up. Makes for a interesting day if they are like the other Nicklaus designed courses greens I've played before.

Can't wait to get out there on Sunday.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

Thanks for the review. Was hoping someone would post after today. 

I’m coming in for a quick 3 day trip (36-36-18) next week and have 2 days with morning times there. Debating whether to play it twice or just the once.  It was tough to pass up those rates for a morning time. 

Sounds like it has enough going on around the greens it’ll play be fun and play different with different pins? Still debating if I should be elsewhere or maybe skip 1 round. 

I would like to play there again, feel like the course is gettable. Didn’t hit my lines at all on the front nine. We played the blue black combo. I liked that they had several choices and combos on the score card for course length. Played well on the back and still missed out on both reachable par 5’s and the driveable par 4. It would be nice to play again. Par three with water on the right on the back is a tough. Large thin green that curves along the waters edge.

7 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Greens are expected to be very firm/hard on a new course, some take a couple years to settle in and soften up. Makes for a interesting day if they are like the other Nicklaus designed courses greens I've played before.

Can't wait to get out there on Sunday.

I realize greens are going to be firm when they are new but as you will see still lots of bad spots on the greens. Kind of unexpected IMO. Lots of burn out spots from fungus. Several greens were perfect but others were thin with plenty of bad spots. Not complaining didn’t affect my putting for sure and everything else was perfect. Tee boxes and fairways were large and lush. 

• Thanks 1

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Review of my trip courses:

We didn’t want to play $250-$400 for courses. We were supposed to go to Palm Springs like we have in the past. Switched last minute due to lock downs. Of course we didn’t know this was prime rates being week of Waste Management Open. 9 courses 7 days good trip.  

Papago was best I think. Excellent course and greens were really good(Well I made lots of birdies haha) $89

Sterling Grove really good for the money the place will just get better as they finish it out. $74

Verrado both courses great. Founders better views but Victory better condition $119 & $69

Orange Tree was a nice surprise. Could a course like that being my home course if I lived there. Lots of nice houses with excellent bag yard areas. Modest course with a good layout and pretty views of mountain. $70

Longbow was pretty good. We went there to ride the golfboards. $70 

Lone Tree good cheap option. $50

McCormick ranch not bad didn’t think it was a bad as people said. It was a add on, condition not perfect. If you can get a good price it’s ok $90

Talking Stick was the worst. Course was good overall but management was horrible. We were supposed to tee off at 1:10 they held us to 1:50. Got to 3 hole and caught the groups ahead of us. 4-5 holes we got to tee boxes and would have 3-4 groups waiting on the tee. We finished in the dark at about 6:50 only because I refused to wait that long and not finish. $129 knocked Down to $100 for wait. 

Wanted to play Greyhawk and Wickenburg just didn’t fit it in. We stayed in Scottsdale area. Daily Dose breakfast nachos were awesome and we loved Old town Tortilla Factory for you foodies. 

• Like 3

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Holy moly. 5 hours at TS? Was the ranger sleeping? Totally unacceptable. I would have asked for a full refund. 

13 hours ago, azmx said:

This is the first time I’ve ever heard a single person, local or visitor, say something positive about Orange Tree. Kinda makes me question the rest of the post 🤡

Haha guess my standards are lower.  We didn’t want to play the high dollar resort courses. Really looked for better options. Maybe we are cheap maybe it’s because we played 9 rounds. Both maybe true. Personally didn’t think TPC was worth $400. Lot of people do I guess

Vokeys SM9 56,60

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Holy moly. 5 hours at TS? Was the ranger sleeping? Totally unacceptable. I would have asked for a full refund. 

It was brutal. 

• Like 1

Vokeys SM9 56,60

13 minutes ago, sethdavidsdad said:

Haha guess my standards are lower.  We didn’t want to play the high dollar resort courses. Really looked for better options. Maybe we are cheap maybe it’s because we played 9 rounds. Both maybe true. Personally didn’t think TPC was worth $400. Lot of people do I guess

Virtually no one thinks TPC is worth $400; similar to OT being a good course.  

18 hours ago, azmx said:

This is the first time I’ve ever heard a single person, local or visitor, say something positive about Orange Tree. Kinda makes me question the rest of the post 🤡

I don't think it would be considered that bad of a course if they charged 30-50% of what they do, but that will never happen. It's not an exciting or interesting layout whatsoever, and they have had some off and on conditioning issues with the greens. But, if you called it Orange Tree Muni and charged $50 to walk it in the mornings in February, I think it would have more fans. It's just one of those courses that gets perpetually crapped on at golfwrx, often for good reason since it is a poor value.