Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

On 2/13/2021 at 1:33 AM, sethdavidsdad said:

Review of my trip courses:

We didn’t want to play $250-$400 for courses. We were supposed to go to Palm Springs like we have in the past. Switched last minute due to lock downs. Of course we didn’t know this was prime rates being week of Waste Management Open. 9 courses 7 days good trip.  

Papago was best I think. Excellent course and greens were really good(Well I made lots of birdies haha) $89

Sterling Grove really good for the money the place will just get better as they finish it out. $74

Verrado both courses great. Founders better views but Victory better condition $119 & $69

Orange Tree was a nice surprise. Could a course like that being my home course if I lived there. Lots of nice houses with excellent bag yard areas. Modest course with a good layout and pretty views of mountain. $70

Longbow was pretty good. We went there to ride the golfboards. $70 

Lone Tree good cheap option. $50

McCormick ranch not bad didn’t think it was a bad as people said. It was a add on, condition not perfect. If you can get a good price it’s ok $90

Talking Stick was the worst. Course was good overall but management was horrible. We were supposed to tee off at 1:10 they held us to 1:50. Got to 3 hole and caught the groups ahead of us. 4-5 holes we got to tee boxes and would have 3-4 groups waiting on the tee. We finished in the dark at about 6:50 only because I refused to wait that long and not finish. $129 knocked Down to $100 for wait. 

Wanted to play Greyhawk and Wickenburg just didn’t fit it in. We stayed in Scottsdale area. Daily Dose breakfast nachos were awesome and we loved Old town Tortilla Factory for you foodies. 

Thank you for such a valuable information. This information is really helpful. I love to travel and try to do it as cheaply as possible. I am trying to save money on travel because I am a student and am currently in college. I have to pay for my tuition. Studying in college is not very easy for me, because I have to do my homework in subjects that are not very interesting to me. I delegate this and so the company https://assignmentbro.com/us/math-assignment-help does my math homework for example. This allows me to free up time for work to earn more money for education and my hobbies.

Edited by Forrest Sanchez

2 hours ago, wingfoot64 said:

Going out to Scottsdale April 21, 2021 for 4 days, going to play We-ko-pa Saguaro course & Anthem Persimmon course. 

My question is what is a must eat Mexican Restaurant to go to?  We will probably eat Mexican food every night so throw a few at me.  Thanks.

A friend of mine turned me on to Los Dos Molinos a few years ago (New Mexican style) and it is best I've had in the area.  I think Barrio Cafe closed due to the pandemic but it was amazing as well.  Honestly, most of it is not stand out different.  Jalapeño Inferno is above average, Juan Jaime's is so bad I'd rather eat Taco Bell but most everything else I've had close enough as to not make a huge difference.  I say this as someone that loves Mexican food.

2 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

LOL...Great 'Mexican' food places!  You are the man!

That was the to answer the previous Italian food query.  Sorry it didn't meet your standards but no surprise you responded the way you did.  I'm also sorry that everything makes you such an angry person.  I mean, it can't be your fault, right?

5 hours ago, wingfoot64 said:

Going out to Scottsdale April 21, 2021 for 4 days, going to play We-ko-pa Saguaro course & Anthem Persimmon course. 

My question is what is a must eat Mexican Restaurant to go to?  We will probably eat Mexican food every night so throw a few at me.  Thanks.

Po Pos (Recco from Fore); Ta Carbon, Madrigals Cocina (top), Presidio, Corazon,  Mi Pueblo,  Asadero (one of my favs), Jacal, Jayasos\

While not Mexican, I will throw in a serious consideration for El Chullo - Peruvian food.!

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, azmx said:

That was the to answer the previous Italian food query.  Sorry it didn't meet your standards but no surprise you responded the way you did.  I'm also sorry that everything makes you such an angry person.  I mean, it can't be your fault, right?

Yup....I was angry!  Kettle, Pot, Black!!  You have issues!

Edited by puttnforthe8

On 4/14/2021 at 9:00 PM, azmx said:

A friend of mine turned me on to Los Dos Molinos a few years ago (New Mexican style) and it is best I've had in the area.  I think Barrio Cafe closed due to the pandemic but it was amazing as well.  Honestly, most of it is not stand out different.  Jalapeño Inferno is above average, Juan Jaime's is so bad I'd rather eat Taco Bell but most everything else I've had close enough as to not make a huge difference.  I say this as someone that loves Mexican food.

Barrio is open and has indoor and patio seating. Bit of a hike (~25m) from N Scottsdale.

On 4/14/2021 at 5:42 PM, azmx said:

Parma Italian Roots, Basil and Garlic, Vic and Ola's (by far the best but more expensive and formal) and Spiga are all good.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

LOL...Great 'Mexican' food places!  You are the man!

On 4/14/2021 at 9:02 PM, azmx said:

That was the to answer the previous Italian food query...

Well, just to tie it all together, this just popped up on my favorite food blog:

"Maggiore to open Mexican restaurant
Valley restauranteur Joey Maggiore, whose family is best known for their Tomaso's, The Sicilian Baker, and Hash Kitchen, will step away from his Italian roots to open a Mexican restaurant called The Mexicano this summer. It will take over the former Salty Sow near Cactus and Tatum in Phoenix. It was one of the last projects Maggiore and his father, Tomaso, worked on before the elder Maggiore died earlier this year."

😄

• Like 1

Was in AZ this past week and played Quintero, We-ko-pa Saguro and Southern Dunes. Quintero was a little disappointing and probably should've listened to this forum. Par 3s were great but the par 4s all felt the same (straight and uphill). Saguro was my favorite course. Elevation changes and hole designs made it incredible. Southern Dunes reminded me of Pinehurst and it was a great course design and probably best conditions of the 3 courses. 

• Like 3

Hi all, finally making a trip to Scottsdale in May, can't wait. Snagged a great value tee time at Troon Pinnacle for Friday May 7, only problem being its at 2.30. My trusty friend Google says sunset is 7.15, so that gives me 4 hours 45 minutes. Will I get the full 18 in? The lady in the pro shop I spoke to said rounds typically take 4 hours 30 minutes so no problem, but figured I'd check with the locals. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

10 hours ago, EamoBricko said:

Hi all, finally making a trip to Scottsdale in May, can't wait. Snagged a great value tee time at Troon Pinnacle for Friday May 7, only problem being its at 2.30. My trusty friend Google says sunset is 7.15, so that gives me 4 hours 45 minutes. Will I get the full 18 in? The lady in the pro shop I spoke to said rounds typically take 4 hours 30 minutes so no problem, but figured I'd check with the locals. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Should be good but it does seem to get dark quick in Arizona. 

• Like 1

Heading out at the end of May for a week.  ClubCorp member so trying to save a few bucks playing a few rounds at those courses along with a few of the top publics:

Friday - Fly in stock up on supplies / get checked in

Saturday - We Ko Pa Cholla 

Sunday - We Ko Pa Saguaro 

Monday - 36 at Gainey Ranch (I know its not super popular but location works well and the price is right)

Tuesday - Anthem Ironwood

Wednesday - 36 at Greyhawk Talon (Raptor closed)

Thursday - Anthem Ironwood (Couldn't get on the other course)

Friday - Fly Home

Played We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, I liked the course a lot and it was beautiful out there.  It was my first experience of desert golf.  I played Grayhawk Talon the next day enjoyed it but very expensive, beautiful course as well, didn't play as good as the day before.

My wife and I enjoyed eating at the Barrio Queen in Old Scottsdale, ate there twice but the second time our waitress sucked but food was good both times.  Ate at the Mission in Old Scottsdale, way overpriced food for what you get.  Don't go there if you are very hungry, you don't get much food.

$8 for a side of pinto beans, tasted like they opened a can and put them in the bowl.  Our first night we ate at Valle Luna off of N. Cave Creek Rd. food was good but I think we were in the hood, glad it wasn't dark yet.

Overall, loved Scottsdale area and would stay nearer Old Scottsdale next time.  I can see why people move there but I do like being closer to the ocean than AZ. 

The desert is beautiful and would like to see more of it, we went out and did some light hiking at Papago Park just outside of town and had a good time on the trails.  I would definetly hike if I lived out there. 

Can't wait to visit again and play some other courses, I know most here don't recommend playing TPC Scottsdale but we drove out there and I wished I would've sucked it up and played, it would've cost the same as Grayhawk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wingfoot64 said:

Played We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, I liked the course a lot and it was beautiful out there.  It was my first experience of desert golf.  I played Grayhawk Talon the next day enjoyed it but very expensive, beautiful course as well, didn't play as good as the day before.

My wife and I enjoyed eating at the Barrio Queen in Old Scottsdale, ate there twice but the second time our waitress sucked but food was good both times.  Ate at the Mission in Old Scottsdale, way overpriced food for what you get.  Don't go there if you are very hungry, you don't get much food.

$8 for a side of pinto beans, tasted like they opened a can and put them in the bowl.  Our first night we ate at Valle Luna off of N. Cave Creek Rd. food was good but I think we were in the hood, glad it wasn't dark yet.

Overall, loved Scottsdale area and would stay nearer Old Scottsdale next time.  I can see why people move there but I do like being closer to the ocean than AZ. 

The desert is beautiful and would like to see more of it, we went out and did some light hiking at Papago Park just outside of town and had a good time on the trails.  I would definetly hike if I lived out there. 

Can't wait to visit again and play some other courses, I know most here don't recommend playing TPC Scottsdale but we drove out there and I wished I would've sucked it up and played, it would've cost the same as Grayhawk.

Agree. Tpc is worth it if you come out to visit especially the first time. Something always exciting about playing a well known tour course that makes it a memorable round.  Plus the course is always in fantastic condition and the greens are pure.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:12 PM, azgolfer44 said:

Agree. Tpc is worth it if you come out to visit especially the first time. Something always exciting about playing a well known tour course that makes it a memorable round.  Plus the course is always in fantastic condition and the greens are pure.  

Visited 2 weeks ago; played Grayhawk Raptor (NCAA's there in a month) which is always a fun track followed by dinner on the patio at Isabella's (love that place), 36 the next day at We Ko Pa (group loved Cholla and liked Saguaro) and wrapped up at TPC Stadium (group loved the experience but pro shop staff there is awful).  Last, I checked TPC is a public course and some seem to forget that.   Ate at The Mission in Old Town one night, yes portions small but margarita's make up for it.  Stayed at the Fairmont which was great and rooms were nice.   We had 12 guys and group is committed to going back next Mar/Apr.  Course conditions were great especially TPC

Edited by JLo_73
  • Like 3

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, azgolfer44 said:

All good choices. I’d watch the conditions thread when you get closer to your trip. Might be tough to get 36 in with limited daylight and could have frost delay. We Ko Pa is 5-10 degrees cooler than airport in Winter. 

Thanks we were thinking early December so hopefully we can get some decent weather in. If 36 is tough in a day are there any fun par 3 or short courses we should try. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsguy1792 said:

Thanks we were thinking early December so hopefully we can get some decent weather in. If 36 is tough in a day are there any fun par 3 or short courses we should try. 

Early Dec will be no issue with frost delay then or with 36 - just make sure you book early enough to secure the tee times to get both rounds in.  

Note:  Mountain Shadows is a great par 3 course - just played it last week and it was so much fun and tough enough too.  So keep that in the back pocket if needed. 

1 minute ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Early Dec will be no issue with frost delay then or with 36 - just make sure you book early enough to secure the tee times to get both rounds in.  

Note:  Mountain Shadows is a great par 3 course - just played it last week and it was so much fun and tough enough too.  So keep that in the back pocket if needed. 

Awesome thanks. We are looking at Dec 8-12 so hoping it stays nice. 

14 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I recall frost issues in December especially on courses further outside valley. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, azgolfer44 said:

I recall frost issues in December especially on courses further outside valley. 

Not saying it can't happen; but in "early" Dec it is unlikely.  I took a look back at my rounds - I played Verde River on the 1st & 14th, Victory on the 13th and Pinnacle on the 15th and none had a delay.  We had a delay of an 1:10 on Cholla on Dec 23rd.   No delay at Champions on the 31st.

Edited by puttnforthe8

On 5/26/2021 at 1:46 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Not saying it can't happen; but in "early" Dec it is unlikely.  I took a look back at my rounds - I played Verde River on the 1st & 14th, Victory on the 13th and Pinnacle on the 15th and none had a delay.  We had a delay of an 1:10 on Cholla on Dec 23rd.   No delay at Champions on the 31st.

This seems like perfect timing since you guys are discussing trips in December. The wife and I are also going to be out there from December 8-12 and I am going to play all day the 10th.  Is there an area that gets frost more than a different area, as you say the “valley” or so?  

Also, what is the issue or why does everybody not like the courses at talking stick?   I just don’t understand why some individuals say it’s not all that, when the golf magazines and such give the reviews high remarks and list it as top courses?  I was thinking of doing all 36 there at talking stick as I have played and really like Coore/Crenshaw courses. 
PS:  I have visited the past couple years with a buddy and we have played most of the majority of recommended courses (We Ko Pa, Troon, Greyhawk, Southern Dunes, Quintero, Papago, etc.).

1 hour ago, bankkur74 said:

This seems like perfect timing since you guys are discussing trips in December. The wife and I are also going to be out there from December 8-12 and I am going to play all day the 10th.  Is there an area that gets frost more than a different area, as you say the “valley” or so?  

Also, what is the issue or why does everybody not like the courses at talking stick?   I just don’t understand why some individuals say it’s not all that, when the golf magazines and such give the reviews high remarks and list it as top courses?  I was thinking of doing all 36 there at talking stick as I have played and really like Coore/Crenshaw courses. 
PS:  I have visited the past couple years with a buddy and we have played most of the majority of recommended courses (We Ko Pa, Troon, Greyhawk, Southern Dunes, Quintero, Papago, etc.).

The courses in North Scottsdale are at a higher elevation and will be more likely to get frost.  The courses out on the exteriors are higher and open so they are more likely too.

You do realize the golf magazines are simply paid to 'rate' courses?  The South course at TS is simply a 'design disaster' and often has bad conditions because of the design and  layout.  The North course is decent, but they packed in the course to the space and there are some really poor holes on the front that border the fence, and there are some other below avg holes.   In general, they are just both pretty boring courses on very flat pieces of land.  The North course has some good holes that make it worth the play.  As for the mags - one of them "rated" TS North #2 in the Valley to only Wekopa - this should immediately indicate to anyone to disregard anything that mag has to say.  

Note: there is nothing wrong with playing them - they just are not what I would want to play if I came to AZ for a vaca.  For 36 holes, the 2 Verrado courses are head and shoulders better.   Heck, if you want to play flatter courses, the 2 Whirlwind courses are wayyyy better that TS. Plus, the facility as a whole (range, chipping area, putting green, restaurant, locker room, etc) are so much better. 

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

The courses in North Scottsdale are at a higher elevation and will be more likely to get frost.  The courses out on the exteriors are higher and open so they are more likely too.

You do realize the golf magazines are simply paid to 'rate' courses?  The South course at TS is simply a 'design disaster' and often has bad conditions because of the design and  layout.  The North course is decent, but they packed in the course to the space and there are some really poor holes on the front that border the fence, and there are some other below avg holes.   In general, they are just both pretty boring courses on very flat pieces of land.  The North course has some good holes that make it worth the play.  As for the mags - one of them "rated" TS North #2 in the Valley to only Wekopa - this should immediately indicate to anyone to disregard anything that mag has to say.  

Note: there is nothing wrong with playing them - they just are not what I would want to play if I came to AZ for a vaca.  For 36 holes, the 2 Verrado courses are head and shoulders better.   Heck, if you want to play flatter courses, the 2 Whirlwind courses are wayyyy better that TS. Plus, the facility as a whole (range, chipping area, putting green, restaurant, locker room, etc) are so much better. 

Thanks for the heads up and information.  I know you know what you saying as I had used your recommendations for our trips out there the last three years and have not once been let down.  Will definitely think about Verrado instead of TS.  Thanks a bunch! 

Now I just need to look up and get information on a ballon ride (as this is what wife wants to do).  I would rather golf!