Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

4 hours ago, eric61 said:

Anybody have a recommendation for a driving range in Scottsdale that’s open pretty late?

Coronado has a lighted range and open till 9:00 (or used to be, haven't been there in a while).  It's on Miller Road, just north of Thomas. About 20 minutes from there is Ken MacDonald in Tempe and it ha a lighted range.

• Thanks 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

2 hours ago, YMark said:

Coronado has a lighted range and open till 9:00 (or used to be, haven't been there in a while).  It's on Miller Road, just north of Thomas. About 20 minutes from there is Ken MacDonald in Tempe and it ha a lighted range.

Thanks dude. I hit the Coronado range tonight shortly before they sold the last buckets. Wanted to get some practice in before Southern Dunes tomorrow morning, We-Ko-Pa on Thursday and TBD Friday.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

21 hours ago, shadymg said:

lol, yeah i've come to realize that. some of these green fees get tripled!! It's pretty wild. Clearly i'm not the only one looking, WeKoPa (Saguaro) is already fully booked teh days & times we can play. Cholla is available, but for the price $255 versus Southern Dunes ($189) seems like Ak Chin is the better way to go if i don't mind the drive right?

the others i'm thinking of that would work location and price wise (but i can't book more than 60 days out) would be LEGACY and PAPAGO. Those are both slightly over $100 but the reviews seem great.

As a worst case resort, there does seem to be plenty of muni's in the area if we get desperate lol, with Robson & McDonald around the area, but couldn't find any reviews in the last century on them

Cholla is a great course, but there are a few quirky holes that make you pull a club you might not want to. Also more demanding off the tee.  Southern Dunes is worth the extra 20 minute drive. You mentioned Legacy, there is another good course close to that called Raven. You can book that date now. Lots of pine trees and not a desert feel at all. Cheers!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we're set on getting to Southern Dunes as the splurge round, then the next nice round at Papago (or should it be Legacy?).

So besides the question on Papago vs Legacy, then the question for when we arrive, any difference between the cheaper sub-$80 local munis in the Tempe area? Or all about the same what you'd expect from a muni? EDIT: Note we probably won't get there early enough to finish the round, so hence why we don't want to really spend too much $$$$ for this round.

Here are the munis I found nearby:

TEMPE GOLF COURSES (from Golfpass)

Ken McDonald Golf Course Tempe $44
Rolling Hills Golf Course Tempe $36
Dobson Ranch Mesa $83
Arizona Grand Golf Course Phoenix $69-105

San Marcos Golf Course Chandler $55

Edited by shadymg

1 hour ago, shadymg said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we're set on getting to Southern Dunes as the splurge round, then the next nice round at Papago (or should it be Legacy?).

So besides the question on Papago vs Legacy, then the question for when we arrive, any difference between the cheaper sub-$80 local munis in the Tempe area? Or all about the same what you'd expect from a muni? EDIT: Note we probably won't get there early enough to finish the round, so hence why we don't want to really spend too much $$$$ for this round.

Here are the munis I found nearby:

TEMPE GOLF COURSES (from Golfpass)

Ken McDonald Golf Course Tempe $44
Rolling Hills Golf Course Tempe $36
Dobson Ranch Mesa $83
Arizona Grand Golf Course Phoenix $69-105

San Marcos Golf Course Chandler $55

Ken McDonald is actually an excellent value for what they are charging right now, and was in nice shape after overseed when I played it a few weeks ago. For $44 I wouldn't be upset if I didn't finish.

Dobson's layout is better than Kenny Mac IMO but $83 for a round you might not finish there is a bit spendy for what it is.

Rolling Hills is a short course, par 62, something like 3800 yards.

San Marcos is a pretty blah course but not a bad value in winter for $55.

AZ Grand is a hot steaming piece of garbage, forget it.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Ken McDonald is actually an excellent value for what they are charging right now, and was in nice shape after overseed when I played it a few weeks ago. For $44 I wouldn't be upset if I didn't finish.

Dobson's layout is better than Kenny Mac IMO but $83 for a round you might not finish there is a bit spendy for what it is.

Rolling Hills is a short course, par 62, something like 3800 yards.

San Marcos is a pretty blah course but not a bad value in winter for $55.

AZ Grand is a hot steaming piece of garbage, forget it.

SO HELPFUL, thank you!!! Will do our best to get on Ken McDonald (backup would be San Marcos). thank you!!

So then the final choice, is between PAPAGO vs LEGACY. Looks like a $20 difference (papago is more), so not that big a deal. I'm leaning towards Papago, but i've read good things about both. One of those can't go wrong choices? Is one obviously better?

2 hours ago, shadymg said:

SO HELPFUL, thank you!!! Will do our best to get on Ken McDonald (backup would be San Marcos). thank you!!

So then the final choice, is between PAPAGO vs LEGACY. Looks like a $20 difference (papago is more), so not that big a deal. I'm leaning towards Papago, but i've read good things about both. One of those can't go wrong choices? Is one obviously better?

It would be a coin flip for me. Papago is not your typical muni. It will kick your behind. It's not a shock that it's the ASU home course. Legacy is a solid layout, and not your typical desert track. Nothing great, but an overall playable layout that doesn't scream "desert". 

I'd also look at Aguila. Another Phoenix muni that isn't quite as tough as Papago, but still a challenge. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

It would be a coin flip for me. Papago is not your typical muni. It will kick your behind. It's not a shock that it's the ASU home course. Legacy is a solid layout, and not your typical desert track. Nothing great, but an overall playable layout that doesn't scream "desert". 

I'd also look at Aguila. Another Phoenix muni that isn't quite as tough as Papago, but still a challenge. 

For yo

6 hours ago, shadymg said:

For your group, I’d go with Papago. Better vibe. Fun to play ASU course. And one of the best after round spots to hang. Personally, I like the course much better too. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the help leading up to my trip last week, everybody. I wound up sticking with Grayhawk because Wildfire was charging roughly the same price. Some quick reviews/thoughts:

Ak-Chin Southern Dunes: Incredible value -- and not just for Arizona in the winter when everything's expensive; this course would be a good value anywhere in the country. Really nice course in very good condition. One of the guys I played with was a regular; he said the course was in better-than-usual shape for the start of the winter season, but that the fairways and greens were slower than usual because of the proximity to overseeding. I believe it; the course played a lot like the relatively soft Midwestern courses I'm used to.

The starter told me the greens were rolling an 11 or 12. I am ... skeptical. They seemed slower. But I'm not complaining -- I had one of the best putting days of my life there, and wound up shooting a good (for me) score despite being ridiculously inaccurate off the tee all day because the putter was working.

It's a bit out of the way, but if you're making a trip and budget is at all a factor, it'd be very high on my list. 

We-Ko-Pa's Saguaro course: This one was my favorite of the trip, even though I played my worst golf that day. The views are beautiful, and it matched what I had in mind when I thought of desert golf. The course is in fantastic condition. If I was booking another trip, I'd start it with the stay-and-play here and build the rest of it around that. Great views and some challenging holes. One of my playing partners had played Troon North the day before and said Troon's greens were faster, but I certainly don't have any complaints about the greens' speed or condition. They were pretty "what you see is what you get," much like Southern Dunes.

Lots of roadrunners and rabbits on the course. We were also approached on the 12th tee box by a coyote that was alarmingly comfortable with humans. It didn't bother us -- it was big and clearly well-fed, and just seemed to want to see if we were going to throw it a hot dog or something -- but still, weird behavior. Don't feed the coyotes, guys.

Tip for Midwesterners heading to Arizona: Take a "desert club." An old, beat-up iron or wedge or something. Even if you're pretty accurate, at least once or twice you'll need something you don't mind hitting off rocks if you're playing here. 

Grayhawk's Talon course: First of all, the facilities at Grayhawk are unreal. Great clubhouse with an incredibly nice locker room, great driving ranges, good chipping and putting greens, etc. It's a first class experience. 

It's more expensive than the others, but I wouldn't say the course was better. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice course that's in great condition. It's also a bit more like what you'd find in other parts of the country. There are some desert features that come into play, but they don't define the course the way they do at We-Ko-Pa. Definitely some interesting holes, including a very drivable par 4 on the back 9. 

If you're a Phil Mickelson fan, this place is a must. If you're traveling with a partner who isn't that into golf but will enjoy the facilities, it's one I'd definitely recommend. I didn't feel like the course was one I'd have to return to the way I did at We-Ko-Pa, but I don't have any complaints, either.

Getting around: I rode rather than walking. I wouldn't recommend walking any of the courses the first time you play them unless you're in great physical condition, because the walking paths aren't particularly intuitive and there are some climbs. The second time you play them, sure. Saguaro appeared to be the most walkable by far, with mostly short and direct paths to the next tee box, followed by Southern Dunes. Grayhawk has some long distances between holes and weaves through some houses and roads, so I would not recommend walking there at all. If I was playing them again, I'd probably walk Southern Dunes and We-Ko-Pa and ride at Grayhawk.

The carts at Southern Dunes were the best. Their GPS systems were accurate, you could order food from the course, etc. The GPS wasn't working in my cart at We-Ko-Pa, and the carts at Grayhawk don't have screens at all. 

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

57 minutes ago, Cmk said:

Troon North Monument worth the 225 Green fees in Jan for a vistor?

I am surprised you can get a time for $225, unless it is twilight, in which case you are not guaranteed 18 holes.  Course is scenic, usually in great condition, and has some memorable holes.  I think $225 is pretty good value, considering an average course will be at least $125-$150 range.  FWIW, I prefer Pinnacle over Monument.

8 hours ago, azgolfer44 said:

I am surprised you can get a time for $225, unless it is twilight, in which case you are not guaranteed 18 holes.  Course is scenic, usually in great condition, and has some memorable holes.  I think $225 is pretty good value, considering an average course will be at least $125-$150 range.  FWIW, I prefer Pinnacle over Monument.

Golf Now has $225 (475 with tax for a twosome) on a Monday 8:10 Tee time in Jan , Pin is like 35 dollars more so Hence leaning towards Monument... 

Playing that Sat before at Sun Ridge Canyon, thanks to underpar.com it's 125$ a person there so saving some decent money, that's why I was thinking using that saved money put it towards Troon 

Edited by Cmk

On 12/6/2021 at 10:36 PM, Cmk said:

Golf Now has $225 (475 with tax for a twosome) on a Monday 8:10 Tee time in Jan , Pin is like 35 dollars more so Hence leaning towards Monument... 

Playing that Sat before at Sun Ridge Canyon, thanks to underpar.com it's 125$ a person there so saving some decent money, that's why I was thinking using that saved money put it towards Troon 

Pinnacle is worth the $35 upgrade in my opinion.  Monument is good but I think Pinnacle is great.  Pinnacle is right there with the best public courses in the valley, if not the best.  Monument is a half step down layout wise in my book.  I'd have Pinnacle in the top 3 to 5 public tracks in the valley.. and I can easily argue it's #1 depending on my feelings that day... I'd have Monument closer to 7-10.  

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Starting to book our 8th trip out to AZ in April. As always looking for new ideas or updates on courses. 

Played in the past but would play again if something got upgraded or changed or such. 

Visti Verdi

Longbow

Southern dunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mt

Lookout Mt

TPC Both

Dinosaur

Sidewinder

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado (both)

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon Monument

Troon Pinnicle

Stone Creek

Wekopa saguro

ASU Karten

Legacy

Papago

Wickenburg

Raven South Mountain

Sterling Grove

Verrado Victory

McCormic Ranch

2022 Tentative (looking for suggestions, trying to keep 6 round at about $700 or close to if possible)(prices are a guess in April)any that shoudl be removed or added?

Legacy 80

Wekopa Saguaro 340 package

Wedopa Chola 0

Las Sendas 90

Phoenician 140

Quintero 175 (we have one guy thats wants to try this one again)

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

57 minutes ago, loc said:

Starting to book our 8th trip out to AZ in April. As always looking for new ideas or updates on courses. 

Played in the past but would play again if something got upgraded or changed or such. 

Visti Verdi

Longbow

Southern dunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mt

Lookout Mt

TPC Both

Dinosaur

Sidewinder

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado (both)

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon Monument

Troon Pinnicle

Stone Creek

Wekopa saguro

ASU Karten

Legacy

Papago

Wickenburg

Raven South Mountain

Sterling Grove

Verrado Victory

McCormic Ranch

2022 Tentative (looking for suggestions, trying to keep 6 round at about $700 or close to if possible)(prices are a guess in April)any that shoudl be removed or added?

Legacy 80

Wedopa Chola 0

Las Sendas 90

Phoenician 140

Consider 36  holes on the Quintero day and play Los Caballeros in Wickenburg - new ownership and it is improved and it already was pretty good.

Phoenician is not good - so I can't recommend, unless you really want to play it.  Las Sendas also, but for different reasons.

Looks like you have never played the Boulders, so a definite add there - 36 holes, North is the better course but most of the time it is only open to members.  South is scenic.

You don't have Whirlwind on there - so that is a consideration.

Copper Canyon is a pretty cool course (3 9s) - I really have become a fan lately.

Vistancia is another really good course to consider.

Could see if Wildfire is a decent price.

And of course Aguila for a good course at a good price, just not pretty.

All these are better choices over Las Sendas and Phoenician.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Consider 36  holes on the Quintero day and play Los Caballeros in Wickenburg - new ownership and it is improved and it already was pretty good.

Phoenician is not good - so I can't recommend, unless you really want to play it.  Las Sendas also, but for different reasons.

Looks like you have never played the Boulders, so a definite add there - 36 holes, North is the better course but most of the time it is only open to members.  South is scenic.

Copper Canyon is a pretty cool course (3 9s) - I really have become a fan lately.

@loc I agree with the above, I would not recommend the Phoenician or Las Sendas to any visitor. I'll ad on that Verrado Founders is well worth it, Verrado Victory and Founders are a great combo. Golf Club of Estrella is another solid addition, they had condition issues this past year but have recovered from that and should be great in April. 

I'm heading down to Arizona in January and have two days to play in Phoenix on 1/21-1/22. We'll be driving up from Tucson on Friday so we're already planning on playing Southern Dunes (loved this track when we played it last year). 

Does anyone have a spot they'd recommend for a Saturday morning round, preferably something < 1 hour from the airport? Last year we played WeKoPa Saguaro for this Saturday round and it may have been my favorite course I've played in Arizona. The normal top options are pushing $300+ for Saturday (Grayhawk, Troon, Boulders) and ideally we'd like to keep this in the $150-$250 range. 

This is our last round of a long trip so we're willing to splurge if those top courses are worth it; I'm just curious if there are any hidden gems in that lower price bracket that punch above their weight. 

4 hours ago, LBattaglia93 said:

I'm heading down to Arizona in January and have two days to play in Phoenix on 1/21-1/22. We'll be driving up from Tucson on Friday so we're already planning on playing Southern Dunes (loved this track when we played it last year). 

Does anyone have a spot they'd recommend for a Saturday morning round, preferably something < 1 hour from the airport? Last year we played WeKoPa Saguaro for this Saturday round and it may have been my favorite course I've played in Arizona. The normal top options are pushing $300+ for Saturday (Grayhawk, Troon, Boulders) and ideally we'd like to keep this in the $150-$250 range. 

This is our last round of a long trip so we're willing to splurge if those top courses are worth it; I'm just curious if there are any hidden gems in that lower price bracket that punch above their weight. 

On Saturday you should be able to get from Verrado Founders to the airport in 50 minutes or so. 

Southern Dunes

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

On 12/9/2021 at 12:50 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Thanks. What two 9s on Copper Canyon would you recommend?

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

On 12/9/2021 at 8:46 AM, loc said:

Visti Verdi

Longbow

Southern dunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mt

Lookout Mt

TPC Both

Dinosaur

Sidewinder

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado (both)

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon Monument

Troon Pinnicle

Stone Creek

Wekopa saguro

ASU Karten

Legacy

Papago

Wickenburg

Raven South Mountain

Sterling Grove

Verrado Victory

McCormic Ranch

Legacy 80

Wedopa Chola 0

Las Sendas 90

Phoenician 140

Phoenician isn't worth 140. Id look into a Troon card honestly. How far you can book out will be the sticking point. You can probably get your whole group to split it.