Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

remove the 0 and then it will be worth it

... You really have to stop being so wishy washy! 

• Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, hackeraz said:

haha, good to know and thank you! Had some people not too long ago telling me it wasn't that bad. 

... We were playing DR and it was s-l-o-w. Waiting every hole for the group in front that would get a little behind, but the whole course was slow. Stopped to use the bathroom after 9 and the GM is there with his tee sheet telling us we are behind in time so we couldn't stop and had to catch up. I laughed and said "you want us to hit into the group on front? We are waiting on every single shot"  and completely clueless he says "I am telling you you are almost 1/2 hour behind your time and you need to pick up your pace" Started walking inside the clubhouse and he said "If you stop for food or drinks I will ask you to leave the course" I told him I could take a p!ss right here on the sidewalk if he preferred and he walked away. 

... Never been back. 

Edited by chisag
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, hackeraz said:

haha, good to know and thank you! Had some people not too long ago telling me it wasn't that bad. 

I played it about a month ago and was pleasantly surprised.  I thought it was a decent enough layout (not great, had some quirky holes, but also not bad at all).  Course was in great shape and the greens were super quick.  Quicker greens than most of the Troon managed courses right now.  

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

How is pace of play at wickenburg ranch? Since it is a bit out of the area does it get any less play than the other top courses? It is 1 course in the area I haven't played and was thinking about adding it to a trip in a few weeks. 

Edit: Is it even open to public anymore? Just looked at the site and could only see "member tee times"

Edited by mci711

Just now, mci711 said:

How is pace of play at wickenburg ranch? Since it is a bit out of the area does it get any less play than the other top courses? It is 1 course in the area I haven't played and was thinking about adding it to a trip in a few weeks. 

It gets a decent amount of play.  The POP is more directly related to how difficult the course plays for many people.  But it has never been ridiculous all the times I have played.  

It is a good choice to add if you can.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Edit: Is it even open to public anymore? Just looked at the site and could only see "member tee times"

I believe after overseed this past fall, general public play was eliminated and it finally went private after many years of rumors. I can't speak for pace now that it's private, but when it was public, POP was usually around 4:30 the dozen or so times I played it, never faster than that even when we were the third group off, the course just plays kinda slow (by my standards) for whatever reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I believe after overseed this past fall, general public play was eliminated and it finally went private after many years of rumors. I can't speak for pace now that it's private, but when it was public, POP was usually around 4:30 the dozen or so times I played it, never faster than that even when we were the third group off, the course just plays kinda slow (by my standards) for whatever reason.

It's still available to book if you have a Troon card. Just an FYI. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

It's still available to book if you have a Troon card. Just an FYI. 

Yeah by general public I just meant everyone who doesn't have an affiliation with Troon (Troon card, Troon prive program member, Uncle Sal works for Troon, etc.), doesn't live in Wickenburg Ranch, and/or isn't a member of a different private club that can have their pro call Wick Ranch's pro, etc.

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Yeah by general public I just meant everyone who doesn't have an affiliation with Troon (Troon card, Troon prive program member, Uncle Sal works for Troon, etc.), doesn't live in Wickenburg Ranch, and/or isn't a member of a different private club that can have their pro call Wick Ranch's pro, etc.

They were supposed to go full private but I heard new membership slowed down more than expected this summer and they ended up leaving it available to troon card holders.  

Hi All,

I am going to Scottsdale next week and staying out near Grayhawk for my dads bday. I think I am going to be able to get away to play 3 rounds over the course of the week. I have been out there a few times for golf and have played most of the top hitters.

Given the time of year and conditions, not factoring cost, if you could only play 3 rounds, with the priority on top conditions/pace of play and overall experience, which 3 courses would you play this time of year?

21 hours ago, mci711 said:

Well, I guess I'll take it off the list then! Thanks for letting me know. 

I'm a member of a private club, if I was going to try and get on a private course through my pro/network does anyone have a good suggestion? Any good privates that aren't super exclusive? 

There are plenty, most in fact.  Depending on your course, I imagine you could get on a lot of the privs here.

But if your club is a 'lower tier' so to speak, then I would start with Verde River, Anthem, Blackstone, or Terravita.   The you get into next level of courses Troon, Desert highlands, Desert Forest, Desert Mtn, Pinnacle Peak, Superstition mt, DC Ranch.   Those lead into the higher end ones that are tougher: Estancia, Mirabel, Silverleaf, etc.

There are a lot of other privates scattered in the ranks that are available:  Ancala, Alta Mesa, Moon Valley, Phx CC, Union Hills, Arrowhead CC, etc.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mci711 said:

What is the deal with booking Quintero? I went to book a tee time for February 16th and it only allows AZ residents to book? I thought maybe I was too far out, but I looked this weekend and it is the same way. 

Any AZ residents want to play Quintero on the 16th!?

Apologies, I figured it out. Seperate tab. 

But, if anyone wants to play that would still be cool! 

Did I miss something since our last trip to Phoenix on the cost to play? We paid $1098 back in 2018 May 15-22 for 8 rounds for Grayhawk, WeKoPa, Eagle Mountain, Southern Dunes, Verde River, Estrella.  We just got a quote for almost the same line up, on the same dates that is now near double the cost...WTF?? Coming from Canada when you add in the exchange rate its off the charts, plus with a home rental, wow, actually in shock right now.

8 minutes ago, Nobbykat said:

Did I miss something since our last trip to Phoenix on the cost to play? We paid $1098 back in 2018 May 15-22 for 8 rounds for Grayhawk, WeKoPa, Eagle Mountain, Southern Dunes, Verde River, Estrella.  We just got a quote for almost the same line up, on the same dates that is now near double the cost...WTF?? Coming from Canada when you add in the exchange rate its off the charts, plus with a home rental, wow, actually in shock right now.

There was a global pandemic you may have missed. The only thing you could do was golf and the golf industry exploded. 😂

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Nobbykat said:

...Yea, we are just trying to discourage Canadian snowbirds from clogging up our courses! 😜  In reality greed is a bottomless pit and Covid threw gas on the greed fire. Locals are just as discouraged with winter pricing as visitors. Raven is a course I play all summer at twilite for $29 including a cart but winter rates are $200!?! 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 4

A little bit of a different ask. Is there anywhere in the area that offers a higher level fitting experience? Not interested in something like club champion or golf galaxy etc. Wasn't sure if there was anything less "mass produced" feeling. Kind of like the titleist (in CA) fitting experience, but for all brands?

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

A little bit of a different ask. Is there anywhere in the area that offers a higher level fitting experience? Not interested in something like club champion or golf galaxy etc. Wasn't sure if there was anything less "mass produced" feeling. Kind of like the titleist (in CA) fitting experience, but for all brands?

True Spec - They do indoors and outdoors.  They just started doing mobile fitting events too.  I am going to one in a couple of weeks at the course near me.  Probably the best these days.

Cool Clubs - used to be the leader; still very good.  Indoor fittings; don't know if they still do outdoor.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IsThatGood17 said:

Heading to AZ the week following the WM and will be playing TPC stadium. Will the stands still be up around 16 since it just ended 5 days prior?

Those stands start going up before Thanksgiving and aren't completely down until almost April. Not exactly a small job. 

• Thanks 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

On 1/9/2023 at 6:30 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

True Spec - They do indoors and outdoors.  They just started doing mobile fitting events too.  I am going to one in a couple of weeks at the course near me.  Probably the best these days.

Cool Clubs - used to be the leader; still very good.  Indoor fittings; don't know if they still do outdoor.

The one thing I will add about Cool Clubs is that they bought HotStix which was located at Sunridge Canyon.  They have an indoor/outdoor setup at Sunridge and did an excellent job during my fitting (and build) with them a number of years ago.  If I were getting fit again, I would go Cool Clubs and would schedule it at the Sunridge location.  I'm assuming its mostly the same setup/process/people as when it was HotStix.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:26 AM, SilverBullets said:

The one thing I will add about Cool Clubs is that they bought HotStix which was located at Sunridge Canyon.  They have an indoor/outdoor setup at Sunridge and did an excellent job during my fitting (and build) with them a number of years ago.  If I were getting fit again, I would go Cool Clubs and would schedule it at the Sunridge location.  I'm assuming its mostly the same setup/process/people as when it was HotStix.

Will double down on the excellent fitting. I visited when CC first took over HotStix and I was lucky enough to win a free driver fitting in their raffle. 

The main guy Chris Ferguson was fantastic, and very honest/real throughout the fitting process.