2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are Odyssey putters manufactured/assembled?

ad1402

My guess is China - the two Odysseys I've owned have all suffered from being poorly manufactured and made from cheap materials - mind you I never buy from ebay and always buy my golf gear from renowned golf shops, so the two Odysseys I had were not copies - they just all have a tendency to look like that because of the way they are made.

The Bettinardi DASS's I've owned look like a Rolls Royce and the Odyssey's like an old Hyundai :)

You get what you pay for, I guess :)

I have been unable to find where Odyssey putters (specifically the white steel line) are manufactured and assembled. I emailed Odyssey four days ago but have not heard back from them. Can somebody enlighten me? Thanks

I wouldnt be surprised if they were made in China. If you e-mailed them and they didnt get back to you, perhaps you could call them on the phone. Their contact page lists a 1-800 number. Its worth a shot.

http://www.odysseygolf.com/about/contact.htm

does it really matter ...

To some people it does matter.

• Like 1

Heads made in China like most all golf heads. Its starting to make me sick, wake up America.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

does it really matter ...

This is a golf forum for Christ sake - what do you think we discuss in here - Formula 1 cars or affordable strip clubs :)

Heads made in China like most all golf heads. Its starting to make me sick, wake up America.

I'm sorry to say so, but you get what you pay for - and if people continue to buy cheap putters with poorly made finishes, Odyssey will continue to produce their putters in Asia/China. Bettinardi makes their putter heads in USA - they cost more, but you get an American milled putter head and a finish in TOP NOTCH QUALITY :)

The 2nd part of the question is that they are assembled in Carlsbad at the Callaway complex. Very impressive facilty and assembly process.

yep... no problems with quality with my tour milled #1.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

The 2nd part of the question is that they are assembled in Carlsbad at the Callaway complex. Very impressive facilty and assembly process.

yep... no problems with quality with my tour milled #1.

The QC on their putters is pretty tight. And to see the assembly process in person is pretty neat. Years ago when Armour owned Odyssey, their fit and finish were not nearly as good as today. But were still in high demand.

Side note, they do have a separate Tour area for customization tor tour players. Different necks, shape hosels etc. The Butane finish they use on the newer Tour series came from there.

if its a good putter for you does it matter.... all the talk of where things are made is getting old if its good then its good if it sucks then it suck no matter where it is made

not all of china's factory's produce crap alot them make the stuff at the spec that the company provides, its the companies not the factory's that control product quality

Its not to much the quality as it is what companies in China pay their workers, how they treat their workers and the fact that outsourcing has put a lot of Americans out of work.

Yeah, and I'm not paying an extra $50 to $100 because Unions rape these businesses and soaks them for extra benefits. Times change and the Industrial revolution ended a while ago. Besides, China can't sustain their growth if it is just coming from exported goods. No entreprenuership, no Chinese owned businesses, and a poor goverment system (Communism)

that means we all should be playing ping irons (putter exclude allot of 100 percent American made putters)(not Scotty's German Stain steel) with no fairway woodsor drivers then..... its happened and sucks. but all the companies do it so what we are supposed to stop golfing

Obviously its not something that is realitic anymore (not even Ping is 100% American anymore), but its something that I try to do as much as possible.

No doubt that the heads and probably even the shafts of my clubs were made in China or Taiwan, but they were assembled in the USA and the money spent on them goes to support an American company.

You arent supposed to stop golfing, but you can do a lot of keep the money and jobs here by going with companies that either make their stuff here or are at least American-owned.

Its not to much the quality as it is what companies in China pay their workers, how they treat their workers and the fact that outsourcing has put a lot of Americans out of work.

Unfortunately, that is the economic cycle of society. Society advances from agrarian to industrial to service oriented.

An agrarian society is pretty much any 3rd world country.

An industrial society is China nowdays, the USA about 10-20 years ago, what Mexico may be in another 10 years.

A service oriented country is Sweden. Finland, etc. are now, and what the US is transitioning into.

Unfortunately, when a society progresses, there are short term pains. One of the economic pains is the job loss of many workers who are not educated beyond high school who are unable to transition into educated office workers. Their unemployment affects the economy in the decades long period of transition.

The loss of factories overseas is actually caused by more of Americans earning their college degrees who foresake working in factories in exchange for jobs in offices. The percentage of people in our society who have college degrees right now is similar to the percentage of people in our society who had high school diplomas in the 1940s and 50s. The percentage of people who have advanced degrees is similar to the number of people who had college degrees in the same 40s and 50s.

What this means is that factories must raise wages to attract workers in the US. However, for the business to remain competitive with products produced overseas, factories MUST move overseas where they can employ cheaper workers. This means that the office workers stay in the USA designing and selling, while manufacturing goes else where.

As this is a natural economic trend, it means that it cannot be artificially prevented.

As for what China pays their workers, the companies pay what the standard rate is for employees there. A wage in the USA is much higher because the cost of living is higher. The cost of living in China is much less. If the company paid less than the standard rate there, they would have no workers. If they paid more than the standard rate, the company would be needlessly wasting money and have to explain it to the shareholders. The standard rate their is a fair rate.

As for how the Chinese treat their workers, it is again the same. They are treated the same as Chinese workers who work for Chinese factories. If they were treated worse, then the workers would leave and work for other factories leaving whatever company that abuses their employees without workers. Also, what we might call abuses the Chinese may say is common for their society and values.

It is somewhat arrogant to try to force our values on the rest of the world and to tell China that all of their workers should be paid much more and that all of their workers must work in conditions that meet the US standards.

The economic lecture aside, I like the idea of paying less for items I want to buy. That means more of my money stays in my wallet and/or it allows me to buy more for my money. I am selfish in that I want to save as much money for my family as I can. If this means that paid Chinese workers don't make as much as American workers, I don't care. If the Chinese used slave labor, well that may be a different story. But as the workers are paid a fair rate for their work as based on their society, and as they are treated fairly as based on their society, I say I support and thank companies who save me money when I buy their products.

Unfortunately, that is the economic cycle of society. Society advances from agrarian to industrial to service oriented.

An agrarian society is pretty much any 3rd world country.

An industrial society is China nowdays, the USA about 10-20 years ago, what Mexico may be in another 10 years.

A service oriented country is Sweden. Finland, etc. are now, and what the US is transitioning into.

Unfortunately, when a society progresses, there are short term pains. One of the economic pains is the job loss of many workers who are not educated beyond high school who are unable to transition into educated office workers. Their unemployment affects the economy in the decades long period of transition.

The loss of factories overseas is actually caused by more of Americans earning their college degrees who foresake working in factories in exchange for jobs in offices. The percentage of people in our society who have college degrees right now is similar to the percentage of people in our society who had high school diplomas in the 1940s and 50s. The percentage of people who have advanced degrees is similar to the number of people who had college degrees in the same 40s and 50s.

What this means is that factories must raise wages to attract workers in the US. However, for the business to remain competitive with products produced overseas, factories MUST move overseas where they can employ cheaper workers. This means that the office workers stay in the USA designing and selling, while manufacturing goes else where.

As this is a natural economic trend, it means that it cannot be artificially prevented.

As for what China pays their workers, the companies pay what the standard rate is for employees there. A wage in the USA is much higher because the cost of living is higher. The cost of living in China is much less. If the company paid less than the standard rate there, they would have no workers. If they paid more than the standard rate, the company would be needlessly wasting money and have to explain it to the shareholders. The standard rate their is a fair rate.

As for how the Chinese treat their workers, it is again the same. They are treated the same as Chinese workers who work for Chinese factories. If they were treated worse, then the workers would leave and work for other factories leaving whatever company that abuses their employees without workers. Also, what we might call abuses the Chinese may say is common for their society and values.

It is somewhat arrogant to try to force our values on the rest of the world and to tell China that all of their workers should be paid much more and that all of their workers must work in conditions that meet the US standards.

The economic lecture aside, I like the idea of paying less for items I want to buy. That means more of my money stays in my wallet and/or it allows me to buy more for my money. I am selfish in that I want to save as much money for my family as I can. If this means that paid Chinese workers don't make as much as American workers, I don't care. If the Chinese used slave labor, well that may be a different story. But as the workers are paid a fair rate for their work as based on their society, and as they are treated fairly as based on their society, I say I support and thank companies who save me money when I buy their products.

Awesome post man. You just tell it like it is; a natural progression. I will remember this when I have a debate about outsourcing. Agrarian...that will really f with their head.

Couldn't have said it any better. wow. perfect. As long as Im not buying products made with illegal slave labor, I don't care.

And guess what, Im chinese. hahaha

• 15 years later...
On 7/21/2008 at 5:29 PM, shGGman said:

Couldn't have said it any better. wow. perfect. As long as Im not buying products made with illegal slave labor, I don't care.

And guess what, Im chinese. hahaha

I just bought a new Odyssey Ai ONE putter direct from Callaway.  In looking at the UPS tracking on it I noticed it just cleared customs passing over the Mexican border.  If it performs well I can see it ending up being named Juan or Julio.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down