Wie Spoiler / Big Wiezee Dq'd

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN IF SHE WAS A MEMBER OF THE TOUR AND NOT A PART TIME PLAYER NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE SPORT ALL PLAYERS MUST OBEY AND FOLLOW THE RULES.

I HAVE A CERTAIN DISDAIN FOR PEOPLE WHO FOLLOW CERTAIN PLAYER OR TEAM OR WHATEVER

WHEN THAT PLAYER DOESNT MAKE THE CUT OR DQ AND SAY NOT GOING TO WATCH .YOU ARE NOT

TRUE FAN .YOU ARE CAUGHT UP IN THE MATRIX WHERE THE MEDIA TELLS YOU SHOULD LIKE THIS

PLAYER OR THE LPGA AND PGA RATINGS WILL DIP .THEY TELL YOU NOT TO WATCH WHEN TIGERS NOT

IN CONTENTION AND YOU PEOPLE LISTEN AND DONT WATCH. THATS THE PROBLEM WITH SPORTS IN

GENERAL. LET THE SPORT BE THE STAR

If the LPGA tries to let the "sport" be the star, it will continue to fail miserably. They realisticly must market attractive players with the most ability. I have been one of Wie's biggist critics, but is seems she is being blamed for all of the tour's problems. If I were her, I would be very hesitant about "joining" this tour. She could make more money doing worldwide invitationals, plaiying on sponsors exemptions, and getting exempted into majors on the LPGA (by the way, if anyone at Augusta is listening, I think I should be exempt because I used to be good at arena football.) The whole LPGA frito lay, swaggerty sausage, dominos pizza, copenhagen open is turning into a nascar spectacle (which I love) to stay afloat. Overall, the tour better learn to accept and assist Wie in every way possible!

If the LPGA tries to let the "sport" be the star, it will continue to fail miserably. They realisticly must market attractive players with the most ability. I have been one of Wie's biggist critics, but is seems she is being blamed for all of the tour's problems. If I were her, I would be very hesitant about "joining" this tour. She could make more money doing worldwide invitationals, plaiying on sponsors exemptions, and getting exempted into majors on the LPGA (by the way, if anyone at Augusta is listening, I think I should be exempt because I used to be good at arena football.) The whole LPGA frito lay, swaggerty sausage, dominos pizza, copenhagen open is turning into a nascar spectacle (which I love) to stay afloat. Overall, the tour better learn to accept and assist Wie in every way possible!

I guess I don't understand why the tour should accept and assist Wie in every way possible. I think they need to generate buzz and excite for every capable star - not just one. Especially not one who has never lived up to her potential. There are a lot of young stars who are working their butts off and deserve some hype. Why continue to worry about one spoiled has-been. Why put $$ into someone who is not even a member? Put the marketing around the young talent who are working hard for the tour or the members will get pretty disgruntled. I sure would. Personally I watch golf to watch good golf - not because of marketing hype. There are other women golfers just as talented, just as beautiful, have great swings, and inteligence on the golf course. This talk that the tour needs Wie is unreasonable. The tour needs to be better run and have better marketing. They can do all that without worrying about catering to one person who is not even a member (and who has turned her nose up to the tour before).

And if I were Wie, I would continue to turn my nose up at the tour. She can get all the benefits without being a member. The "good golf" was just seen, Wie trashing the field until a technicality put her out. I agree that there are many talented and beautiful women on tour, but Wang Ling Chi Chung isn't very marketable. Pressell, Creamer, and Gulbis all fit the mold, but are all so inconsistent. Look at the money leaders and you'll see 1 known American, 5 names I can't pronounce, and 7 or 8 golfers no one would recognize in publc. Wie is known worldwide wether deserved or not. The tour better take advantage of this or ratings will continue to fall. I would watch a tournament if: 1.It was within a 30 min. drive 2. I was promised a date with the player of my choice 3.it was exciting at all. This being said, the LPGA is wonderful for a sunday afternoon nap, but that's about it.

1 Lorena Ochoa $2,030,993.00

2 Annika Sorenstam $1,459,176.00

3 Paula Creamer $1,255,960.00

4 Inbee Park $1,042,367.00

5 Seon Hwa Lee $993,823.00

6 Yani Tseng $876,759.00

7 Jeong Jang $854,838.00

8 Suzann Pettersen $729,528.00

9 Eun-Hee Ji $612,253.00

10 Karrie Webb $577,932.00

The suggestion that she shouldn't be DQed for her error baffles me. It's a rule. There are 34 of them. She's still learning them and needs a caddy that fully understands them.

Some on the thread suggest that she didn't intend not to sign, so she should be permitted to. I didn't intend to hit my tee shot out of bounds yesterday on #12, but I took stroke and distance anyway. Intent is irrelevant.

I actually like Michelle Wie. I'm not sure she even needs Tour membership to succeed. But she broke a rule and should suffer the consequence(s), plain and simple.

WW

I just chalk it up to pretty bad luck. Not so much bad luck for being a dolt and not signing the card first, but just in general bad luck that seems to create more of these situations for Wie in the short time she has been playing professional golf than most players deal with in their entire career.

While the Santa Claus comment seems uncalled for on the surface, it's taken out of context and is nowhere near as bad as it was really meant. Wie was crying, she was very upset, not unlike a kid who took SC very seriously and finding out SC is not real. Anyway, beyond bad luck, this could have been prevented a long time ago. I get the impression MW's attitude and approach is a byproduct of her fame and wacky upbringing by her parents. Think of this, three or four days a week every week of the LPGA tour, hundreds of women (and girls) walk off the 18th green into the tent and sign their card. Ochoa does it, Annika does it, and every other superstar before them, it's not that difficult.

People can complain all they want about the rules not keeping up with technology, the absurdity of the logic applied, or even doing the right thing, but the bottom line is for thousands of tournaments, this has been the routine, many of us who do not even play professional golf knows this, MW knows it, and if she can't apply a minimum amount of attention span to get the card signed before worrying about anything else, well then....this is what happens.

I feel bad for her in the sense that she sure has a lot to deal with and finds herself in all kinds of silly situations, but I am also sure she will bounce back just fine. I talked to a player from the tour last night and heard that even some on the tour who are not necessarily MW fans felt bad for her, but rules, tradition, routine, whatever you want to call it are well established and well known.

Like someone posted before, I bet she won't make this mistake again.

I feel bad for Michelle Wie, but she should know better. As a golf professional, its her job to know what the rules are.

She broken the rules, so they DQed her. It sucks, but rules is rules and she should have known better.

Hopefully she will take this as a learning experience and doesnt let it happen again..

I am not trying to single out your post but it seems to me that even the rules officials have it wrong also. i read the rules and SHE is not affected by the rule.

6-6. Scoring in Stroke Play

b. Signing and Returning Score Card After completion of the round, the competitor should check his score for each hole and settle any doubtful points with the Committee. He must ensure that the marker or markers have signed the score card, sign the score card himself and return it to the Committee as soon as possible.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 6-6b: Disqualification.

Well it seems really clear to me that SHE wasnt DQ'ed according to the rules. The rules officials dont know their own rules if they are to be taken literally.

Am i completely off base on this one?

Look, Wie made a stupid, simple, honest mistake. The only reason that we're talking about it is because it happened to Wie. How many other LPGA pros has this happened too? You could count on both hands and feet the number of pros who have left the scorer's area without signing /turning in their card. Example: Erica Blasberg did it in 2005. No one remembers because she really hasn't done much in her career since then....

As my golf partner pointed out during this morning's round....Wie has played 'top level' amateur events since age 12, and has played in 54 or more LPGA events, which means, on LPGA alone she has been required to sign 216 scorecards and more....so "I don't know how this happened, like, um, you know, like it's kinda disappointing" ?

She's a professional, and plays golf for a living, get your head in the game.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I feel bad for Michelle Wie, but she should know better. As a golf professional, its her job to know what the rules are.

She broken the rules, so they DQed her. It sucks, but rules is rules and she should have known better.

Hopefully she will take this as a learning experience and doesnt let it happen again..

I am not trying to single out your post but it seems to me that even the rules officials have it wrong also. i read the rules and SHE is not affected by the rule.

b. Signing and Returning Score Card After completion of the round, the competitor should check his score for each hole and settle any doubtful points with the Committee. He must ensure that the marker or markers have signed the score card, sign the score card himself and return it to the Committee as soon as possible.

Well it seems really clear to me that SHE wasnt DQ'ed according to the rules. The rules officials dont know their own rules if they are to be taken literally.

Yes, you're off base. LPGA, PGA, etc complement the rule by adding a space boundary to this rule. She broke it when she went off the space limits and getting back to sign it. What I found regrettable is that a volunteer had to chase her to remind her to sign it, that is a shame and should not be allowed. What's next, volunteers making shot recommendations? As far as I know, the round is not over until the player signs the card, so any 'advice' received by a player not coming from his/her caddy is a penalty as well.

Yes, you're off base. LPGA, PGA, etc complement the rule by adding a space boundary to this rule. She broke it when she went off the space limits and getting back to sign it. What I found regrettable is that a volunteer had to chase her to remind her to sign it, that is a shame and should not be allowed. What's next, volunteers making shot recommendations? As far as I know, the round is not over until the player signs the card, so any 'advice' received by a player not coming from his/her caddy is a penalty as well.

Im pretty sure that was an attempt at sarcasm on the part of Golfsll. Michelle is a, "she" but the rule book says, "him".

Apparently, as its worded it doesnt apply to women. :) Obviously, the LPGA officals dont agree...

The suggestion that she shouldn't be DQed for her error baffles me. It's a rule. There are 34 of them. She's still learning them and needs a caddy that fully understands them.

Some on the thread suggest that she didn't intend not to sign, so she should be permitted to. I didn't intend to hit my tee shot out of bounds yesterday on #12, but I took stroke and distance anyway. Intent is irrelevant.

I actually like Michelle Wie. I'm not sure she even needs Tour membership to succeed. But she broke a rule and should suffer the consequence(s), plain and simple.

WW

AMEN!!! Michelle Wie is a big girl now. The rules apply to her too.

Im pretty sure that was an attempt at sarcasm on the part of Golfsll. Michelle is a, "she" but the rule book says, "him".

Apparently, as its worded it doesnt apply to women. :) Obviously, the LPGA officals dont agree...

I'm not so sure it was meant sarcastically. If the LPGA is going to follow every letter of the rule, they should. Clearly the rule doesn't apply!

Advice

"Advice" is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke.

Information on the Rules, distance or matters of public information, such as the position of hazards or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

This was a CORRECTABLE ERROR of not signing her card. So she returns to the table a to sign the card as is (was). What harm or unjustice was produced to anyone for this oversight? Again, this was CORRECTABLE.

Under the current rules, she is DQ'd. No argument. However, this is an example of how overly complex/stupid some of the "rules" are in golf.

I just think it was particulary odd that it took the LPGA an entire day to figure out what happened and how to proceed. Obviously, there must have been some uncertainty as to how to handle it or that it was impossible to 'cover up' for they were about to lose their big draw for Sunday. I'm sure the sponsors just love the overly complex rule too.

I think it was Ken Venturi that once said something about how the rule book of golf would be a page long if everyone just did what was fair or right. My appologies to Mr. Venturi if I got it wrong a bit.

If this was a PGA event, I am sure there would be an official at the "door" making sure every player signs their card. But alas, this is the LPGA which now sinks to lower levels, IMO. No wonder Wie wants to play on the PGA.... don't we all apire to work/play with the best, to be the best? LPGA is not the 'best', obviously.

Good thing I heard about this Saturday evening in time for me to adjust my DVR and delete the LPGA for Sunday.

If your point is concerning gender-specific language, then the entire rule book is thrown out. So, that interpretation is fairly useless--to put it mildly.

Also, precedent could be pointed to concerning the law. An acceptable defense for breaking the law is not that gender-specific language only pertains to one gender.

But you're joking, right?

"Sue Witters, the LPGA's director of tournament competitions, disqualified Wie in a small office in an LPGA trailer at the golf course after asking her what had happened.

"She was like a little kid after you tell them there's no Santa Claus," Witters said.

Wie said that after she finished her round on Friday, she left the tent where players sign their scorecards and was chased down by some of the tournament volunteers working in the tent who pointed out she hadn't signed.

Wie returned to the tent and signed the card.

"I thought it would be OK," she said.

But Wie, according to Witters, had already walked outside the roped-off area around the tent. At that point, the mistake was final.

Witters said she and other tour officials didn't learn about the error from volunteers until well after Wie teed off Saturday. They let her finish the round, then took her to the office where she and her caddy, Tim Vickers, were informed of the ruling."

How was she playing on Saturday before she was informed of the ruling?

WW

AMEN!!! Michelle Wie is a big girl now. The rules apply to her too.

I wouldn't necessarily call her a big girl now. She's old enough to go to war, but not old enough to have a beer. She has much more life ahead of her and a lot more room to grow as a woman. Face it, she's still just a kid and having some problems in her career. But they are not that big of problems since she's a millionaire, so i'm sure shes just doing fine without all this hate from everybody. Jealousy would be my answer

WW

I don't think anyone is doubting that Wie was expecting anything else other than the consequences. She obviously understands the circumstances, etc. and accepted the consequences.

The real issue is:

1) This was a correctable mistake that does not cheat or impact anyone else. Who was harmed? It was correctable.

2) The rule is over complex than it really needs to be.

3) Whether you like it or not, sponsors are why there are tournaments. The LPGA, who is dying for sponsorship, did a crappy job of insuring that the interest of the sponsors was not guarded a little bit better, etc.

I'm sure Wie would hate to see the rule changed just because of this incident as it will be named after her, etc. But, I'm sure the LPGA will have an 'official' at the door the scorer's tent making sure all cards are signed going forward....

LPGA should stop using volunteers to run the scoring tent. Those people probably has no idea about the rules of golf. Also, the USGA should bring some those outdated rules to the 21st century. It's ridiulous that a TV viewer can call in a day after to modify a scorecard but you can't come back into the tend to sign the scorecard?? With so many people around and electronic scoreboard all over the golf course, how can a player cheat on he/she score, especially on LPGA or PGA tournaments. This is ridiculous!!!

How is sign the scorecard before you leave the scorers tent too complex?

I am a Michele Wie fan, but this was her mistake, and hers alone.

Kevin

Kev how do you feel about them waiting a day to inform her. I think it was to get and extra day of tv coverage

I agree a rule is a rule but it is a dumb rule

Ken

Kevin

Kev how do you feel about them waiting a day to inform her. I think it was to get and extra day of tv coverage

Ken

Ken,

My understanding is they didn't discover what happened until she was on the course Saturday morning, and decided not to pull her off the course...

Whatever anyone thinks of the rule, it is there, and it is in black and white. Can you imagine what would have happened if they didn't enforce the rule simply because she is Michele Wie?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I don't think there is anything dumb about the rule. In tournament golf, turning in your signed scorecard is just as important as holing out on the 18th green. Your round is not complete unless you turn in a signed scorecard. When she left the scoring area, her card was turned in with no signature. The volunteer had no business going out to get her. She turned it in unsigned = DQ.

There's no Santa Claus? Thanks a lot, Sue Witters.

Witters,Sueresized.jpg

It's a black eye for the LPGA imo. Sure Wie made a stupid, but the LPGA is more stupid for not having an official scorer for every player that comes in the tent. They only come in three at a time...would it be that hard for the LPGA to ensure that there's an official making sure all the players are properly dotting their I's and crossing their T's?

It wouldn't surprise me if Michelle was just really excited about finally having a good round and wanting to talk about it with her friends and family and signed one card but didn't attest the other. It also wouldn't surprise me if it was one of her playing partners from Friday that ratted her out and demanded her DQ. Those girls are ruthless.

But from what I've seen from her - yes she's done some dumb things, and some immature things, but she's never blamed anyone but herself for the bad drop DQ and this scorecard DQ.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

It took the LPGA Officials until after TV coverage of the third round to figure this out ?

Stupid Rule.

Classless and smart a** remark by Sue Witters, who obviously has some kind of an issue with Wie.

Wie is somewhat to blame here, but she did sign her card.

Just another example from the LPGA on how not to handle a situation that was really a non issue to begin with.

My GF remarked after this that Sue Witters "appears to be the Dolores Umbridge of the LPGA tour".

Kev not for one moment am I suggestting they should have not enforced the rule. I just question when they found out and why they did not make the ruling then.

Ken

Kevin

Ken

Ken,

My understanding is they didn't discover what happened until she was on the course Saturday morning, and decided not to pull her off the course...

Whatever anyone thinks of the rule, it is there, and it is in black and white. Can you imagine what would have happened if they didn't enforce the rule simply because she is Michele Wie?

Kevin

Not a stupid rule - harsh yes. But one of the first things i learned when i started playing comps was to check and sign your card before handing it in to be verified.

As said before, it's not rocket science. Time she got her head out her butt.

The person emphasising the 'HIS' within the rule. Sorry but the R&A hasn't yet brought out a Pink rule book yet. So basically on your theorum, women don't actually have ANY rules for golf :swoon2:

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]