2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Hogan Apex 4 shafts alternatives

BB17406

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As above.

I was told years ago by a man in the know that that's exactly what the Apex shafts were. With a little red label on...

The S300 model would be the ones you're after.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

As above.

I was told years ago by a man in the know that that's exactly what the Apex shafts were. With a little red label on...

i heard that too, and the step pattern was the same, so that's what i always thought. more recently though, the apex shafts were made by royal precision, so they must have been somewhat different. interestingly, the recommended reshaft was still the dynalite, so they must have still been quite similar. not sure about the step patterns of the royal precision apexes vs. the tt dynalites though.

As above.

i heard that too, and the step pattern was the same, so that's what i always thought. more recently though, the apex shafts were made by royal precision, so they must have been somewhat different. interestingly, the recommended reshaft was still the dynalite, so they must have still been quite similar. not sure about the step patterns of the royal precision apexes vs. the tt dynalites though.

Hi There,

I have the Ben Hogan Edge Pro with Dynalite Gold S300 in them and they play the same as the Apex 4. I got the DLG S300 after trying a demo set with Apex 4, the local distributor was out of the Apex 4 shaft and they asked if I wanted DLG S300 instead, they play the same. I said no drama and I love them, great shaft!

You can still get Apex 4's i believe so you should have to change, if you wanted something else that plays the same I would definitely go the Dynalite Gold S300.

Cheers!

Guys....I think the TT Lite and the Dynalite are too light.

A clubmaker told me the new KB shafts are the closest to the old apex.

in stiff flex, the dynalites are the same weight as the kb tours and the tt lite's are only 2 grams lighter. if weight's the problem, kb tours may not be your solution.

if you're an x on the other hand, kb tours are a bit heavier though.

It depends on what year they are. Older model Apex shafts were virtually the same as a Dynalite Gold shaft from True Temper. But if they are newer (I think '99 and above) they would be the same as the old Royal Precision FCM 6.5's or the Rifle Lite 6.5. You should be able to tell what they are; on the shaft band, if it says Apex 4 Frequency Matched it will be from Royal Precision. If it just says Apex 4, then it will be True Temper.

Here's the break down on the True Temper shafts...

Apex 5 - Dynalite Gold X100

Apex 4 - Dynalite Gold S300

Apex 3 - Dynalite Gold R300

Here's the break down on the Royal Precision shafts....

Apex 5 - FCM 7.5

Apex 4 - FCM 6.5

Apex 3 - FCM 5.5

Thanks bunch for the info... I searched the hogan site with no luck on shaft flex. I have a set of mint apex that I bought off ebay a few years ago. They are basically new... Just not sure if they are pre or post 99 models. How does one tell which ones they are?

Also mine says frequency matched #5. If your flex chart is accurate then #5 is way way way too stiff for me. I normally play a px5.5 or dgs300. I guess these are coming out tonight.

Does anyone know what the tip diameter is on these?

thanks

The quickest way is probably to have a look here and pick them out from the Hogan listings.

If they're pretty recent, they may not be listed/pictured though.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

great thanks..

ok, its a little hard to tell but i think i have the 90-99 version 98-02 apex.

Are they blades? If they are, look at the Ben Hogan name in relationship to the sunburst logo. If the Hogan name is above the logo and to the right then they are '98 model. If they are in line with each other then they are the '06 model. Other than those two models there will be other identifiers such as "Grind" under the sunburst, which would be the '90 model Apex Grind. You should be able to figure it out pretty easy through the Legacy link.

Guys....I think the TT Lite and the Dynalite are too light.

A clubmaker told me the new KB shafts are the closest to the old apex.

If anything the KB's are close to the Accra Tour steel. If the dynalites are too light for you then the KB's wont work for you either. They are the same weight but they also have a higher balance point so you will loose 1-2 sw points on the install.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

Mul1gan - thanks for the offer. Not ready to purchase shafts at this point. Probably going to buy a set of Mizuno new irons this fall. Still longing for shafts that I used for about 20 years before changing to Mizuno from Hogan 6 years ago. Probably will go with Dynalite gold S300 based on panels recommendations.

I'm surprised Apex 4 is closest to Dynalite Gold. I still play the '90-'92 Apex Grinds from time to time in Apex 4. They certainly seem more tip stiff than Dynalite Gold.

Damn. There goes my excuse for recent lower ball flight. Must be age. Get this, recently I was thinking about getting them reshafted in Dynalite Gold. :)

no problem brenner...

so if the shaft is on the stiff side, would that cause a 10-15 yard lost of distance?

my 7 iron is only carrying 150... :)

thanks brooksmax, i'll check them out again tomorrow. i was going to reshaft them tonight with the extra set of s300s but kinda lazy now... i'll do it tomorrow..

i'll probably put the #4 shaft on the forsale section, not sure if there is a demand for those...

BTW, i have a set of mp57 with the satin px shafts that i love... reason i brought the apex out was bc i have sellers remorse for ebaying my miura cb202 and blade combo. then i tried a set of macgregor M and C and love the feel.. I want to buy them so bad but just picked up a set of ap2s which i dont like.. good thing the wifey doesnt know about the new set... So I figure i'd give the apex a try before I go off ho'ing another set of clubs... Ive come to the conclusion that everything feels so smooth/soft/sweet at the store, off their matt and into the net... hahahahahha Im not a nike fan, but even they felt really good/solid..

I'm surprised Apex 4 is closest to Dynalite Gold. I still play the '90-'92 Apex Grinds from time to time in Apex 4. They certainly seem more tip stiff than Dynalite Gold.

Damn. There goes my excuse for recent lower ball flight. Must be age. Get this, recently I was thinking about getting them reshafted in Dynalite Gold. :)

You are right. The Apex 4 does have a stiffer tip than the Dynalite Gold. The recommendations I posted earlier are the recommendations from Hogan. But to be perfectly honest with you I have yet to find any shaft that is just like the Apex shafts. But in my opinion, the Dynamic Gold Lite would be a closer fit. The Dynamic Gold Lite has a stiffer tip but is still a mid kick. The original Apex shafts had a high bend point for a lower launch. But outside of the higher launch, the Dynamic Gold lite fits better in tip stiffness, playability, and weight. For the Frequency matched shafts though the Rifle Lite is the closest thing out there now.

For all of you that might be reshafting your Apex's, it might be worth looking into the Dynamic Gold Lite shafts if you want the stiffer tip. Sorry for any confusion.

How about Dynamic Gold High Launch? It has the same step pattern as Dynamic Gold with a softer tip, but not as soft as the Dynalite Golds.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

You are right. The Apex 4 does have a stiffer tip than the Dynalite Gold. The recommendations I posted earlier are the recommendations from Hogan. But to be perfectly honest with you I have yet to find any shaft that is just like the Apex shafts. But in my opinion, the Dynamic Gold Lite would be a closer fit. The Dynamic Gold Lite has a stiffer tip but is still a mid kick. The original Apex shafts had a high bend point for a lower launch. But outside of the higher launch, the Dynamic Gold lite fits better in tip stiffness, playability, and weight. For the Frequency matched shafts though the Rifle Lite is the closest thing out there now.

For all of you that might be reshafting your Apex's, it might be worth looking into the Dynamic Gold Lite shafts if you want the stiffer tip. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks. I think that's an excellent summary. I've played Dynalite Gold and it never seemed equivalent to my Apex 4 in the Grinds.

Apex 4 is a great shaft for a stronger player. In my 30s and until a couple of years ago I could really lash at it without worry of wild left. But now in my late 40s and not playing as frequently I need something a bit softer. The old dependable Grinds are producing too many harsh low slight pushes, especially 5 iron and lower. I tried graphite Apex Edge in 3 flex but that's too much of a change and I didn't like the shaft.

• 2 months later...

you can help me...

i have just bought on ebay a set of new s300 tt lite shafts 3-pw.

i really like this shaft and would like to change the project x i have on my mp57.

the shafts i have bought are Tapered Tip abraded this means I will need only to trim the butt, won't I? I was also told that i will not need to add any swingweight which seems weird to me but maybe it is normal....

the shafts should be 1" longer than normal before ttrimming, will i need before installing to cut them to these lenght?

3-40"

4-39.5"

5-39"

6-38.5"

7-38"

8-37.5"

9- 37"

PW- 37"

thanks for your help

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I just bought a set of Apex Edge iron. Bought them with the #4 Apex Edge Frequency Matched shafts. These are brand new, but I think that they are to stiff for me, as I usuallt play a 'R' rated shaft.

My question is, I have a set of older hogans available to me with teh Apex #3 shafts in them. Will they be ok to use? If I ma reading he previous posts correct, the earlier shafts ar TT and the model I have is from Royal. Weight if shaft ok between the two? Tip diameter should be the same. What about TT Dynamic Gold R300's? Are they to heavy?

Thanks

john

• 5 months later...