2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Private Club vs. Public Course

ehonk00

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

I'm new to golf but have played both in the last year. And I've found that the difference between the two is not as great as the difference in price would suggest.

But of course, that is totally dependent on the area that I live in and my caliber of golf. As a beginner, every course is a challenge. And when I look at the condition of the course, I see as many flaws in the private course as the public course.

The public courses here are very good.

Of course the difference is the services. The municipal county employees here look like they have been committed to an eternity in their own private hell. Like they are doing you a favor by allowing you to play on the course. I've only met one with what would be described as a "personality." A few I needed to put a mirror under their nose to see if they were still breathing. Most take pleasure in finding something to tell you "no" about.

The private courses, of course, are just the opposite. The staff seems to serve with pleasure.

But, once out on the golf course, I find the muni's to be a pleasure to play since the ones here are very well maintained, and at least to me, are a challenge.

The only experience I've had surrounding a private course is through my boss. I went with him last year when he joined a private course. They made it sound pretty good up front but there were a lot more fees added in. Mandatory food and cart fees, $80 to bring a guest and more. It started out looking like around $375/month but he claims he hasn't seen a bill under a grand.

Now, for the golf. The course is not that impressive. I can think of 4 public courses nearby that are under $50 on a weekend that are just better courses. Plus every time we've played there, some member is complaining about something. Like they are watching like hawks when someone brings a non-member on. I'm sure it's not like this at all clubs though, just what I've experienced there.

Me, I'll probably never have the money to afford a private membership around here. Thankfully it's not something I'm really interested in. I'm content with Triggs. I'll be joining the inner club this year where the best players in the state play. Host's NCAA div. 1 tournaments, State Am. events as well as Pro events. I get on for $22.50 as a resident and if I can get a membership, it'll be $800/yr. unlimited. So, for me, public is the way to go. All I aspire to do is play golf at the toughest course, against the best players, for the least amount of money.

The only experience I've had surrounding a private course is through my boss. I went with him last year when he joined a private course. They made it sound pretty good up front but there were a lot more fees added in. Mandatory food and cart fees, $80 to bring a guest and more. It started out looking like around $375/month but he claims he hasn't seen a bill under a grand.

You do have to be careful when you join a private club as far as the costs go.

I have a dining membership to one that is about $1000/year. But that is the food minimum... it includes only consumable items. When you get the bill after dinner, they also charge an 18% service fee (this is NOT the tip), and sales tax (7% in NJ). Those do NOT go towards your minimum...

BUT- all that was explained to us very clearly when we took a club tour with the membership director. We knew all the costs up front before we signed up. I do know of other dining members that were annoyed when they discovered how the billing works (they skipped the tour) and wound up leaving the club. In the end, with the number of times per month they went to dinner, they really couldn't afford it.

A quality establishment will not be afraid to let you know all the hidden "gotcha's" before you join (not to suggest that this is what happened to your boss...). And a lot of times, they are not hidden- it is just that new people don't know how it works until they go to dinner, have a round of golf, use some of the facilities- then get the bill. Then they go- OH! I get it!... Once you see how it all works it makes sense. Don't ever be afraid to ask how the billing works.

The bottom line with clubs is just that- you have to be able to afford the bottom line. If you are cutting it close, you probably can't really afford to be a member!

• 2 weeks later...

i've played at several private clubs here in NJ (none of the really famous ones though) since i play HS golf. THat being said, it kind of doesn't matter to me, as long as i'm playing. Even so, both have differnt perks to them. You'll typically meet a greater variety of people at a Muni but the course is usualy in better condition at a private course. Also the pace of play is faster at a private, depending on the time of day, but then there's the whole issue of money. Like i tell my friends when we play at country clubs, today we have to worry about the speed of the greens, not how bumpy they are.

PRIVATE! Here's why.........

This is the point where I decided to join a private golf club. Fundamentally, I was growing very tired of the waiting times and crowds at public courses. This is a recurring problem at many public courses in my area - they will not make tee times for singles, and it's very common to wait 1-2 hours for an available slot as a "walk-on". Even If you call ahead of time, the proshop insists on telling you on the phone the course is open, no tournaments, and it's easy to walk-on. LIES! :angry:

I went to a local course called "Westridge GC" to walk-on as a single. I was told to standby on the practice green, and they should have an opening in 30-45 minutes. TWO HOURS later, I still never got the call. The Proshop apologized, then immediately sent me to the #10 teebox (the course was starting on #10 that day, which is a long cart ride away from the clubhouse). To add to the confusion, there were no carts available, and I had to wait another 2-3 minutes for a cart. Once I (finally) got to the teebox, the Starter, and all the other golfers waiting to tee off were FUMING at me for my tardiness. There must have been 7-8 golfers all standing around the teebox waiting for me. :angry:

I had to explain that the Proshop directed me out there, to pair up with a 3-some on the teebox! Without a warmup, I immediately came under the ball, and put a huge Skymark on my BRAND NEW Titleist 980F 3Wood. The ball popped up high, and only about 50 yards away from the teebox! As you would imagine, the starter, and all the golfers waiting looked at me as if I was a prize idiot.

PRECISELY at that moment, I made the decision to join a Private Golf club. I've never looked back since. Having the ability to make a tee time as a single golfer has changed my golfing life for the better. I'll never go back to Public golf again, if I can help it.

I am not a member of a private course, but have played many many private courses in my time. I do agree that as a whole they seem to be in better condition, with much higher quality service. The Golf pros at the private courses seem to be much more accomodating (although the best one ive ever met was at a public course, he was my first swing coach). I have never been a member of a club, I grew up playing public courses from the time I was 13 untill now, all the way through high school and college, although I have worked at a few exclusive clubs.

The main advantage to me of the private course as mentioned above is the ability to attain reasonable tee times, without too much advance, and YOU CAN PLAY A ROUND OF GOLF IN 4 HOURS OR LESS. Thats my biggest beef with public courses is that if you play on a weekend and your not in the first 5 tee times out, then your not going to finish in under 5 hours, its damn near im possible, and that makes me sick. I love golf, more than most, but im not going to stand out on a golf course and twiddle my thumbs during a 5 hour round. Id get a lot more out of two hours of practice! However the 5 hour round at a private course is a rarity! Another great advantage of a private club is you can find regulars to play with that are at your skill level, or a bit better, and it will dramatically improve your game!

At this point in my life/career I dont have enough time, and am not willing to front the amount of money they want around here to join a private club, so I play public, I get the first tee time, or I go out an hour before dark and play 9 holes in an hour or so. Is a country club membership in my future, of course, probably in a few years, or if I can get work to comp it for me, ill be there, playing the sub 4 hour round with a SMILE.

Would love a private course, but its too much money.

The name of the game for me is to play golf, the game, 1st and foremost. Even thought the public courses will most likely not be up to par in terms of field maintenance compared to a private course, it's just one of those things one gotta deal with if one can't afford the $$$. Anyone who has the money will more often than not pick to play and be at a private course for all the perks that comes with it, but I'm sure not all of us can afford or justify that kind of expense.