2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Srixon I-506

Gxgolfer

The Srixon I-506 irons are as much pure craftsmanship as they are precision instruments for winning. Forged out of soft 1025 carbon steel, these irons give the feedback and response that better players demand in their shotmaking, with all of the technology and forgiveness built into the Digital Impact Design.

The beautiful, classic blade profile with a thin topline and minimal offset give the appearance of a traditional players club. But don’t let the traditional appearance disguise the science built in. With the modern golf ball, the ideal launch conditions are high trajectory with penetrating flight. Srixon’s proprietary Digital Impact Technology designed into the I-506 delivers exactly these conditions. This technology allows us to determine the optimal weighting and low and deep center of gravity placement in every iron which gets the ball airborne with precise distance control.

The overall playability of the I-506 is enhanced by the double radiused sole with unique heel and toe cuts which ensures smooth contact through all turf conditions.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great 6X forged iron.

Plays like the also great predecessor I-302, but with a bit more forgiveness built into the cavity.

I like a lot of the japanese iron companies - Srixon is no exception :stop:

What a shame they have such ugly and badly designed websites.

If they were better at promoting them selves, thay would sell irons like Mizuno.

I find the I-506 is a forged iron with an amount of forgiveness in between the Mizuno Mx-23 and Mp-60.

• 4 months later...

I like my set. They quickly made me realize how often I hit, or rather miss, the sweet spot. This is good because I believe it will help me improve my 13 index.

As stated above, they do have some forgiveness, but not nearly what I was getting with my Ping i3 O-size. I find I can work the ball better and hit more 3/4 and half shots, and knockdowns with these. Strangley, I like hitting my Srixon 3 iron more than I did the Ping 3 iron. Just more confident with it.

Leading edges on the i-506s are sharp! If you play in wet or soft conditions, these could present a small problem. Otherwise a great iron with great feel. Personally, I could use a tad more forgiveness, but then I could have gone with the X-tours and I didn't like those as much.

I'm shocked at the lack of love as well, so i'll share.

I’ve had these for the summer, officially replacing my mp-30 s300. Have these in tfr 5.5. I love them. They hit the ball on a much higher trajectory than my mizunos but still penetrating. They are also much more forgiving.

Pured, the mizunos are softer than everything but on mishits, the srixons aren’t as harsh. These tend to be more mizuno-like in feel and sound than titleist-like. Maybe a little firmer, but I think that’s a little better with the softer ball covers.

I’ve lost a little workability. Tough to get a baby draw or fade, the ball mostly wants to go straight but can still shape it if needed. Not as ‘fun’ but you don’t have to be as precise. Distance wise these are half a club longer, but I changed shafts and swing weights as well.

I love the club’s profile. Cavity is not noticeable with thin top line. I was never happy with mizuno’s higher lofted iron shapes (mp 33, 30, mx 20) and like the srixon design better in those irons. Looks similar at address to the mp30s.

6x forged = cast-like durability. No dings what-so-ever but with great feel.

Fits player’s forged cavity title perfectly. If you want to shape every shot, get blades. If you want to hit high lasers, get these.

I have really enjoyed these irons - they do, as perfectshot says - hit "high lasers." I've been impressed by the flat, but high trajectory particularly in 4-7 (3 is in my other bag and makes a great driving irons). Short irons might go a little high for my taste, but they still pierce. I play them in S300, which I think has helped with trajectory control.

The comment about the sharp leading edge is true - although it may be offset somewhat by slightly wider soles. But these guys can be a little diggy if you play on peaty or wet courses alot (which I do). they've been great for me in drier conditions.

Durability has been excellent. They look practically new when shined up.

P-wedge in this set seem a little clunky for work around the greens, so I rely on my 588 51* (with past sets, the p-wedge was always my chipping club).

I keep getting tempted by the J33 cb's, but think these definitely offer more forgiveness and better results for me at this time. I'd really like to spend a day with these, J33 cb's, my back-up J33 combos and maybe the MP-60's and really see what gives me the bets result.

I am a 13.6 index with the capability of being either a real good or real bad ballstriker, sometimes all within 15 minutes.

Has anyone considered getting a killed leading edge grind on their 506's. That could create a possible ideal mix of attributes.

Cheese - yes they hit high, but, as advertised, they do penetrate as well. I find the J33 combos to be spinnier and have a loopier flight (somtiemes close to balloon-y) that can drop the ball more into a immediate stop than do the 506's.

On the other hand, the 506's do much better into the wind than do the 33's, b/c they do penetrate while still going fairly high.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did my own review in the general golf section but thought it might be useful to add it to this thread. I rated the I-506 a 5.

First off let me give you a little background: In the last 3 years my handicap has gone as low as 3.8 and up tot he current level of 6.8. I hit the ball high and take a healthy cut at the ball. My last four sets of clubs have been TM300 w/dg sensicore s300 (used for 3 years), Tourstage Z101 w/DG tx tour (bad shaft choice for this head...only lasted 2 months because of how bad the shaft sucked), King Cobra Forged SS w/DGs300 (never could get the ballflight I wanted and control issues but loved the long irons...these tried twice to get in the bag and never made it longer than a total of 4 months) and Mizuno MP32 w/DG S400 (this were my current gamers shot my lowest round of 1 under par with them). I have only played and/or hit balls twice since July due to a wrist injury on a 4 wheeler. I am a picker/shallow divot taker of the ball with a high ball flight with everything.

Looks: These clubs look fantastic. You cannot or at least I could not see the back of the club at address. Great topline and the offset is perfect to my eye. The only thing I do not like is the Srixon on the grip but they are my favorite Lamkin Crossline grips so I will either deal with it or swap them out...yes I am picky.

Feel: I know some are going to call blasphemy on this one but I think they felt as good or better than my MP32. Just as soft and buttery smooth. They do feel heavier than my mp32 w/s400...more head heavy which is what i like. I do not know the swingweight...I( just play what feels good.

Performance: Here is where these babies shine. Like I said earlier I had not played or touched a club other than 30 yard pitch shots in the past 6 months. I went to the range today 39° today. I started off with some half swings with the pitching wedge after some stretching and swings. Once I felt loose I started full swings I got to feel how good these clubs are. Ball flight was high but extremely flat/boring trajectory. I fell in love with the flight and the distance. I went to the eight iron and then the 6 iron and was getting just as good or better results with the 6 iron as the pitching wedge. I then went down to the four iron and had a few bad swings (due to my layoff). Once I paused and regrouped I ripped of four 4 iron shots in a row that were within 10 yards of each other. I really like the leading edge on this club and the sole. The sole looks a little big but anything is big after what I have used in the past. The sole and leading edge flat out work for me. The pitching wedge is also an asset with pitching and chipping which I did at the practice green. I just felt like I could not miss and I felt like I was puring everything.

Overall these clubs are very forgiving, have a great ballflight, and have a very soft feel to them. I would highly recomend this set to anyone looking at a forged forgiving cavity back. I know some have said they did not feel these were forgiving but I think you have to look at the background info first. I am coming from blades and not so forgiving forged cavities. I love the I-506 and can't wait to see how they perform on the course. The only thing I did notice is I was not getting as much draw as normal and I think this was due to the shaft more than the club but hey what do I know...they just wanted to go straight and that is fine with me. If you are in the market do not pass these up without at least giving them a shot. Sorry if this seems like rambling but I am not very good at reviews. IF you have any questions that I have not answered then please feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...

After going to golf galaxy 10+ times and trying sets for a few rounds (MP32,37, 60, TM Rac TP, Rac LT, 735's, CG2's, CG1's, Hogan ftx) I came to these Srixons but was skeptical as I have never hit anything Srixon. Having them for 3 months they are solid and with my steep angle of attack they are perfect with the wider sole. The sole is a bit rounded so you guys said the leading edge is sharp and as compared to the others, tm forged/rac tp have the sharpest plus have negative bounce higher in the set. I installed project x shafts and some lead tape and they are fixtures in my bag. I have to say that the MP 37 and hogan ftx were not far behind. Not as workable but I can turn the ball left to right a bit easier than the others. I do agree that the wedge is chunky will replace it. Similar to the x-tours on tour, most who play them do not use the wedge, feedback is too muted and spin/trajectory are not as controllable as a blade wedge.

After going to golf galaxy 10+ times and trying sets for a few rounds (MP32,37, 60, TM Rac TP, Rac LT, 735's, CG2's, CG1's, Hogan ftx) I came to these Srixons but was skeptical as I have never hit anything Srixon. Having them for 3 months they are solid and with my steep angle of attack they are perfect with the wider sole. The sole is a bit rounded so you guys said the leading edge is sharp and as compared to the others, tm forged/rac tp have the sharpest plus have negative bounce higher in the set. I installed project x shafts and some lead tape and they are fixtures in my bag. I have to say that the MP 37 and hogan ftx were not far behind. Not as workable but I can turn the ball left to right a bit easier than the others. I do agree that the wedge is chunky will replace it. Similar to the x-tours on tour, most who play them do not use the wedge, feedback is too muted and spin/trajectory are not as controllable as a blade wedge.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd put my two cents in here as well. I rate the I-506's a 5/5! I played this all-last season with PX 5.5's. I have a fairly steep angle of attack and these irons are well suited for my game. I've tried all the irons that are out there and can't believe how little attention these irons get. I think now that Srixon has some international players that are climbing in the world rankings that they are going to get more positive attention. Not convinced that Furyk's swing would sell a ton of clubs for any OEM. Any way I find these clubs as demanding as any other forged iron to hit with the exception that my misses tend to go much straighter than my Mizunos did. I also find these clubs versatile for the knock down or as I refer to it the "wind cheater". Also cutting the ball and drawing the ball are easily done as well. Overall I think these are kick A** irons. I've let several of my golfing buddies hit these and they have sets in their bag as well. My suggestion like any other club is this - go hit it outside at the range then go buy them here on the bay. These are a can't miss!

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone like the sole grind on the I302 better? May be more versatile and also easy to hit-very under rated iron.

I had a set of I302's about a year ago with rifle 6.0's and even though my swing was still going through changes these were very smooth on good hits. I thought the sole was more rounded on those and didn't dig. I found out how forgiving they were when I traded them in for a set of mp 33's (ego and the nice looks made me do it) although the blades probably helped my striking consistancy more.

• 4 months later...

I have had the srixon i506 for about three rounds of golf now 4-pw with PX 6.5 I believe. The ebay seller couldn't tell me what they were as there is no marking on the sticker on the shaft. Anyway, these irons are very solid. A little bulk has helped me with my misses and the pured shots feel VERY good for me comparing them to my MP-32's and S59's. The weight is something I will have to get used to, as I like a lighter feel, but I will continue to give these a try............so far the rounds have been very good 77, 70, 72. First time with the PX shafts, they are definitely different than what I was playing (S300, X100). If you are looking for a little more fogiveness without a huge loss in feel and enjoy the classic iron look, then the i506 would be a great option to try.

• 2 months later...

I traded a set of Ping i3 irons for the 506 during the summer, and the difference was immediate. The combination of forged head and Nippon pro shaft perfect in every respect, and the quality of manufacture as good as Japan can deliver. The company does little to promote it's hardware, concentrating rather on ball sales. In consequence these clubs are the best kept secret in Europe. I have since added the 506 driver and 706 series wedge to the bag and have no excuses now for poor play.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These irons are mint, definate 5/5.

I swapped a mate my Titleist 735's (ProLite stiff) for the I-506's with Rifle 6.0's (std length) and it's the best thing I've done for my game ever. I'm currently at 5.5 (Australian system) and slowly coming down with the last 5 games being 74, 80, 76, 77 & 76 with par @ 72.

They have a nice high ball flight but can be punched if needed, are bit more difficult to work that the Titleist's but not impossibly so, can still a nice high cut or hook/draw if needed. I use the align the clubface @ the target and adjust your feet method.
I've had some issues with the leading edge digging in a bit on soft ground/thatchy turf using PW but then from memory they weren't textbook swings either...

If you always remember to hit the little ball b4 the big ball then you'll be sweet - gotta compress the ball regardless of what irons you use.

I love the look at address with the thin topline but I can see some of the cavity in the 3 iron, the feel at impact is very solid, also love the ease with which I can get my long irons to come in high with good check.

I was worried about the abuse of being in the boot ([i]Trunk [/i]for the US peeps) of the car (everyday) producing dings but they are holding up very well - I think better than the S/S 735's, still nice and shiny with a couple of scratches on the sole from scraping rocks etc and I got mine 2nd hand as well. For a forged steel iron they are excellent.

I think that Srixon irons in particular are very underated with some definate bargains to be had, I've been told that they are the most popular brand in Asia by far with Srixon holding most of the club/ball patents out there today. Sumitomo Rubber Coy who is the parent Coy also own Dunlop so they are no flash in the pan.

If you get the chance to try out either the 506's or the 302's go for it - you won't be disappointed.
I haven't tried the 701's but I can't imagine that they would be any different? ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

10 out of 10 for sure. I am a complete club HO, and I have literally owned every set imaginable over the last few years. I tend to be shallow at attack so my tendency is to lean towards irons with sharp edges. Most irons that are sharper and tend to dig a little seem to lack in forgiveness....not these. I am currently a part of the GEAK program (Golf Equipment Addicts Kounseling), and the road to recovery consists of playing the same clubs for one year. After a long search of about 3 days I settled on these irons. I am married to them for at least a year and I could not be happier about it (the average relationship with me and a set of irons usually lasts about 3 weeks). Anyways, back to the irons. As most everyone mentioned before, the ballflight is high and strong. I found that S-300's are a perfect match. They tend to help settle the trajectory down a bit. The weight of the club is perfect (heavy and solid). Given the size of the cavity, it is not visible whatsoever at address. They are soft, not Mizuno soft, but still pretty soft. The benefit of this is that they do not suffer from a lot of bag chatter. The best part about these irons is their price. I picked up my set for $220. Do yourself a favor and purchase a set. If I, the unfaithful one can find love then I am sure you can too!

[b][u]Driver-[/u] [/b]TaylorMade Superspeed 2.0 9.5 w/ Diamana Blueboard 63S
[u][b]3 Wood-[/b][/u]Titleist PT 15 w/ UST ProForce 65 R
[u][b]2 Hybrid-[/b][/u]Snake Eyes Quick Strike 18 w/ UST ProForce 65R
[b][u]Irons (4-9)[/u]- [/b]Bridgestone J-38 CB w/ UST ProForce Rv2 75R
[u][b]Wedges-[/b][/u]Titleist Vokey SM5 (46,50,54,58) w/ UST ProForce Rv2 75R
[b][u]Putter-[/u][/b] Ping Scottsdale TR Carefree L

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, just wanted to give Srixon some love. I am a long time Mizuno user, tp-9, mp-4, mp-30, mp32 anything in LH blades.

Got a set of srixon 506s w/ project x 5.5 shaft. In fact got them for the shaft thinking if I did not like the irons, I could put them in my mp-32s and still be ahead money-wise and feel like I got new clubs by swapping the shafts.

Well the first couple of rounds with these clubs and after a 3 month long winter hiatus, I carded 8 birdies. I am a 10-12 handicap, and literally took them on the coourse with no range time as it was closed. The second round I hit 16 of 18 GIRs! These are SOLID.

The MIzzy I could work the ball with ease, the srixon want to go straight but you can work them with a little effort, plus I tried a knock down p wedge from 100 yards into the wind. 5 feet from teh cup with a nice check. In fact the flight is perfect and the ball checks on a 5 iron 185 with a downhill lie! Don't know if it is the combo of shaft and heads, but right now I have decided to put my beloved mp-32s on the market and can't wait to get on the Black Course at Bethage! Weather looks awful for the next week though ;)

I am a club hoe and was lucky to find the mizunos, and to not have a set in the house... well that says something about the srixons. Yes they don't have the brand power as say a Rolex (Mizuno), but these are a solid Omega.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, I'm a club ho, more specifically, an Iron and Putter ho...

Here is a brief list of Irons I have either played with or spent at least 2-3 range sessions with over the past year or so:

Mizuno MX-23 (most recent gamers)

Mizuno MP-32

Mizuno MP-30

Maxfli A-10 Tour

Callaway X-18

Callaway X-18 Tour

Callaway X-20

Callaway X-20 Tour

Ping G2

Ping G5

Taylor Made R7

Taylor Made R7 TP

Taylor Made Rac LT

Taylor Made Rac LT2

Taylor Made Rac CB

Titliest 735

Titliest 755

Cleveland CG2

Cleveland TA7

Cleveland TA3

Wilson Deep Red Tour

Wilson Ci-6

Adams Idea Pro

Bridgestone J33 CB

Bridgestone J33 Combo

As you can see, I get around :cheesy:

I just happened to be ho-ing for more Irons on this website and ran across someone selling some Srixon i-506's with the stiff Black Gold shafts. I thought.. WTH, at worst, I'll hate them and sell them like all my other iron sets so I purchased them for a good price and have hit them 3 times at the range and played once. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE IRONS. They aren't the longest irons I've ever hit, they are the softest irons I've ever hit, they aren't the most forgiving irons I've ever hit, but.... they are the best combination of what I'm looking for in an iron that I've found to date.

Let's start off with the looks. Man these things just look great. I love the cavity on them. The sole's are a tad on the wide side, but not by much and the topline looks a lot like a blade to me.

Next up is feel. These irons are forged, but they aren't forged from the same material Mizuno uses and you can tell, but they are still pretty dang smooth and soft. Not harsh feedback on mishits at all and you can tell you've grooved one without looking.

Trajectory with these irons is one of the areas that sets them apart for me. The trajectory is just a tad on the high side, but... it's a boring trajectory that flattens out and lands so soft. Also, it's easy to control the trajectory with these irons. I can hit a low stinger by simply moving the ball back a bit and pressing my hands forward just a touch.

Distance is on par with some of the longer irons I have hit. These aren't swat machines like some of the shovels you can play with out there, but a nice mid-sized iron that delivers plenty of punch.

Probably the biggest thing I love about these irons has to be the accuracy. Not extremely easy to work either way, but you can do it with a good swing like any other iron on the market. I found these irons to have very low dispersion and I am confident that when I'm hitting my scoring irons, I can aim and the ball will be within 10-15 feet of that area. I also have very good control over my mid irons with low dispersion as well.

Overall, I couldn't ask for a lot more out of an iron set. This club ho will now focus on putter ho-ing exclusively until I find the magic there.

Current Specs on Srixon i-506 Irons

3-PW

True Temper Black Gold Stiff Flex in +1/2 over factory, 1/4" over industry standard

No shaft labels (BG Labels never stay on anyway)

Golf Pride Dual Durometer Red & Black Grips

Just because it doesn't have a major name brand on it doesn't mean they aren't good irons. Have heard the 302's and 701's are sweet as well. Maybe I'll give them a shot in a year or so :cheesy:

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tried a set at a demo day and found they dug on me. I get a little steep sometimes and just couldn't get them to react the way I wanted.

Two weeks ago I found a set of used I-302's with Nippon shafts, SST pured and had them adjusted to my lie angle. First time out, without the lie adjustment, they were good. After the adjustment they were terrific. Had my best iron performance of the year. The lightweight shafts help and the clubs just feel great. Get nice height on my shots, look good at address. Highly recommended.