New Update Out for SkyCaddie SG5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, I got a SG5 as a gift last Christmas and so I am still on the process of getting to know the unit. I went for it and downloaded the upgrade last night. This is what it has:

■20 course download capability

■Depth of Green. On the Intelligreen view, you will see it on the upper right hand corner of the green.

■Time of day. No am or pm indicator and the order of the icons on the top part of the unit is as follows: Yd, Battery icon, Time, Course Name and the Hole Number.

■Auto distance meter from last mark. On the Intelligreen view, I see a number lower left hand side of the green

■International Icons (Available for SkyCaddie SG5 only). IMHO, they do not really serve any purpose so do not really care for these. As an example, the Select has a "check mark" icon next to it. The Target has a "bullseye" icon next to it.

■Scorecard. Yes, a scorecard feature. Press the i or Info key and on the next screen, it will be the right soft key selection. It 'kinda looks like this(sorry as this did not line up as I expected but it should give everyone an idea):

H P Scr H P Scr

1 5 0 10 4 0

2 4 0 11 5 0

3 3 0 12 4 0

4 4 0 13 3 0

5 5 0 14 4 0

6 4 0 15 4 0

7 4 0 16 3 0

8 4 0 17 4 0

9 4 0 18 4 0

FRONT Total

The lower left of the screen has a +/- to indicate over or under par I guess. To enter your score, you use the left/right of the scroll pad with the right to increase the stroke and vice-versa.

Well guys, so far that is what I found on the upgrade. It is $19.95 and took me more or less 3 minutes to download onto the unit. Is it worth it? You guys be the judge. (cool)

I have downloaded the new software to my SG5 and from your list I have the following new functions.

(I am in the UK.)

20 course download capability

Depth of Green. On the Intelligreen view, you will see it on the upper right hand corner of the green.

Time of day. No am or pm indicator and the order of the icons on the top part of the unit is as follows: Yd, Battery icon, Time, Course Name and the Hole Number.

International Icons (Available for SkyCaddie SG5 only). IMHO, they do not really serve any purpose so do not really care for these. As an example, the Select has a "check mark" icon next to it. The Target has a "bullseye" icon next to it.

NO Scorecard or Auto distance meter from last mark. (the way you describe it, this just lets you adjust the time.) :russian_roulette:

Hi everyone, I got a SG5 as a gift last Christmas and so I am still on the process of getting to know the unit. I went for it and downloaded the upgrade last night. This is what it has:

■Depth of Green. On the Intelligreen view, you will see it on the upper right hand corner of the green.

■Time of day. No am or pm indicator and the order of the icons on the top part of the unit is as follows: Yd, Battery icon, Time, Course Name and the Hole Number.

■Auto distance meter from last mark. On the Intelligreen view, I see a number lower left hand side of the green

■International Icons (Available for SkyCaddie SG5 only). IMHO, they do not really serve any purpose so do not really care for these. As an example, the Select has a "check mark" icon next to it. The Target has a "bullseye" icon next to it.

■Scorecard. Yes, a scorecard feature. Press the i or Info key and on the next screen, it will be the right soft key selection. It 'kinda looks like this(sorry as this did not line up as I expected but it should give everyone an idea):

H P Scr H P Scr

1 5 0 10 4 0

2 4 0 11 5 0

3 3 0 12 4 0

4 4 0 13 3 0

5 5 0 14 4 0

6 4 0 15 4 0

7 4 0 16 3 0

8 4 0 17 4 0

9 4 0 18 4 0

FRONT Total

The lower left of the screen has a +/- to indicate over or under par I guess. To enter your score, you use the left/right of the scroll pad with the right to increase the stroke and vice-versa.

Well guys, so far that is what I found on the upgrade. It is $19.95 and took me more or less 3 minutes to download onto the unit. Is it worth it? You guys be the judge. (cool)

I have downloaded the new software to my SG5 and from your list I have the following new functions.

(I am in the UK.)

Depth of Green. On the Intelligreen view, you will see it on the upper right hand corner of the green.

Time of day. No am or pm indicator and the order of the icons on the top part of the unit is as follows: Yd, Battery icon, Time, Course Name and the Hole Number.

International Icons (Available for SkyCaddie SG5 only). IMHO, they do not really serve any purpose so do not really care for these. As an example, the Select has a "check mark" icon next to it. The Target has a "bullseye" icon next to it.

NO Scorecard or Auto distance meter from last mark. (the way you describe it, this just lets you adjust the time.) :russian_roulette:

I just checked, Scorecard is there, simple but handy, haven't tested whether it's stored or not when unit powers off

The "auto" distance, is there, you have to Mark the ball position first, then hit mark button again and it displays distance as you move...very much easier than before.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

H P Scr H P Scr

1 5 0 10 4 0

2 4 0 11 5 0

3 3 0 12 4 0

4 4 0 13 3 0

5 5 0 14 4 0

6 4 0 15 4 0

7 4 0 16 3 0

8 4 0 17 4 0

9 4 0 18 4 0

FRONT Total

(I am in the UK.)

I just checked, Scorecard is there, simple but handy, haven't tested whether it's stored or not when unit powers off

The "auto" distance, is there, you have to Mark the ball position first, then hit mark button again and it displays distance as you move...very much easier than before.

Hi guys, I downloaded a course this morning as I will be playing it at 12:00 noon today. Upon initializing the Skycaddie Desktop, it prompted me that I have an update for the unit. I allowed the update download, downloaded the new course, restarted the unit and now, the scorecard feature is GONE!

For those of you who updated, please post back if you experience the same thing. Thank you.

I received an e-mail tonight from SkyGolf saying they were working on the scorecard function for all models. We'll see what happens.

scjr

I e-mailed SkyGolf regarding this and they replied back stating that the scorecard feature was not functioning properly and so they have to pull it out. They are working on a better scorecard feature and will alert me once it is available for download. As scjr stated, this seem to be a "free" update.

The Auto Distance feature is there, i just did not look close enough. :)

I received an e-mail tonight from SkyGolf saying they were working on the scorecard function for all models. We'll see what happens.

scjr

I e-mailed SkyGolf regarding this and they replied back stating that the scorecard feature was not functioning properly and so they have to pull it out. They are working on a better scorecard feature and will alert me once it is available for download. As scjr stated, this seem to be a "free" update.

The Auto Distance feature is there, i just did not look close enough. :)

Very Cool. Thanks for the information! :)

scjr

Cobra Fly-Z Driver 9.5
RocketBallz Stage 2 Fairway
Callaway X-Hot Hybrids
AMP CELL Irons 5-GW
NIckent ARC Wedge
MacGregor M5K Putter

I installed the update last week on my SG5 and no scorecard. I got the other features (20 courses, green width, marked distance on igreen screen,...).

I went to download some new courses last night and it said there was a software update to install. I installed it but still no scorecard. The software version is now 3.13 and I still have all of the other features.

I'm not sure what if anything changed. Has anyone else been through this update? Have you noticed anything different?

I figured I'd asked the question directly to skygolf using their live on-line chat support. That's a pretty nice feature. Here's what they said:

skygolf: The 3.13 Version is the most up to date including the Course and Feature Package.

I asked what's the status of the scorecard feature:

skygolf: We released a Beta Version of the Score Keeping Feature originally and have recently pulled the Beta Test. We are planning to release a much more updated version of the Score Keeping Feature in the weeks to come.

So I guess I didn't get any new feature that what I already had. Now if the temperature would only get above zero (maybe 40 above) so I could try out my new toy! :cry:

Thanks for the info....a word of caution to save others and the folks at skycaddie some time....

my version (sg2.5) is 3.02 which I would think means I am behind a rev or two.

according to skycaddie chat line..."The units do not all function at the same baud rates. If you have version 3.02 that is equivalent to the 3.13 version of another unit. they are the same thing, just coded by a different number"

This is a little confusing to me as you have no reference point as to your version level...but I guess when you connect, if the website doesn't tell you you need an upgrade....you're OK

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just saw this update for my 2.5.

20 courses is great. This will let me keep my core courses on the unit, and not have to sync as often.

But, I think it's kind of crappy to charge both the annual course access fee and software update on top of that. It would be a much easier call if they combined the software with the course subscription fee. Such as, including it in the "Eagle" level, to entice more people to buy the more expensive option.

Given all their competition from other GPS units, I'm surprised they are nickel & diming customers like this. People always ask me about the subscription fees when they see my skycaddie on the course -- it's a big concern for people. Throwing software fees on top of that will chase more people away.

I purchased the Expansion Package yesterday for my SG3. The link said that I would get the 20 course expansion, the My Par, depth of green feature, clock, and the score card. I got everything but the score card. An email response from SkyCaddie said to log in again and click the "update" icon and I would receive the score card. Of course there was no update icon nor did any number of re-syncs download the score card feature. I'm looking for it in demo mode or in the menu. Do I have to be on the course for this feature to work? Or is it simply not there? It was the one feature in the $20 upgrade I actually cared about.

I purchased the Expansion Package yesterday for my SG3. The link said that I would get the 20 course expansion, the My Par, depth of green feature, clock, and the score card. I got everything but the score card. An email response from SkyCaddie said to log in again and click the "update" icon and I would receive the score card. Of course there was no update icon nor did any number of re-syncs download the score card feature. I'm looking for it in demo mode or in the menu. Do I have to be on the course for this feature to work? Or is it simply not there? It was the one feature in the $20 upgrade I actually cared about.

I updated my SG4 today. I see the clock (why on earth was that not there from the beginning?) and downloaded 20 courses. I am way happy.

I don't see the scorecard, nor was it an option to D/L when I went back to CaddieSynch.

Is there any documentation for the update?

I hate to say this but a discussion came up with the scorecard updates not being released for the 3 and 4, and may never be released.

I used it twice on my SG5, and just dont use it anymore. I mean, it keeps score. I keep lots of stats and need a scorecard to do it.

I honestly don't think you are missing much. The 20 course thing was the big thing for me.

FYI, I logged into the Caddie Sync program this weekend (4/24/09) and there was a new update for my SG4. It really did include the scorecard this time. The 20 courses was the reason I upgraded in the first place (a month ago), but the scorecard does remind me to keep the score before moving to the next hole. One aparant glitch with the software is that the auto-select feature selects a course a hundred miles from the tee box I'm standing on. I never did understand why a device smart enough to know where everything on the course is couldn't figure out which course it was on upon start-up. Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong because I can't get the 'auto-select' feature to select the course I'm standing on.

One aparant glitch with the software is that the auto-select feature selects a course a hundred miles from the tee box I'm standing on. I never did understand why a device smart enough to know where everything on the course is couldn't figure out which course it was on upon start-up. Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong because I can't get the 'auto-select' feature to select the course I'm standing on.

That is the reason I got rid of my SG3 and love my SG5. I played a sweet local muni over the weekend, hadn't been there is nearly a year. Anyway, they have 3 nines that they rotate for those playing 9 and 18 on a given day, Skycaddie lists all 3 as Grapevine Municipal, anyway, go up to first tee box, turn on SG5, use auto select, it knew which of the 3 first tees I was on, got to back nine, rebooted as test, and it knew what tee I was on again.

Honestly, I had two SG3s, and the SG5 is far superior in accuracy and the display is nice. Use Live.com to search and get cashback from ebay paypal, can get an SG5 likely under $300. There's a resson the SG4s are at Costco for $150 now...

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

For those who buy a new SG5 (has the free travel case, car charger, screen protectors), when you register the unit it will automatically download the software upgrade for NO additional charge. Got the score card, new icons, etc.

My one question is how do I set the clock? Its off by 2 hours and I can't find any menu for changing the time zones.

SkyCaddieV3Upgrade_UserGuide

The link above is very helpful. For example, on page 3:

PAGE 3 FOR SG2.5, SG3 & SG4 USERS – To activate the HCP / MyPar™ Scoring Option:

1. Press the "Menu" button

2. Using the Scroll Pad, move down to "Advanced Menu" and press the Left Soft Key under "Select"

3. On the Advanced Menu screen, scroll down to "System Settings". Under System Settings, choose "HCP/

MyPar" and press the Left Soft Key under "Select" (Fig. 11).

4. When the HCP/MyPar screen appears, you can adjust your handicap ("HCP") or MyPar goal by using the

Scroll Pad and adjusting the number to the appropriate value.

5. Press the Left Soft Key under "Select" when you are finished.

6. Press "Exit" to leave the Preferences Menu and Main Menu to return to the SkyCaddie's play screens.

Graphic of screen (shows several settings, including time)

Fig. 11 HCP/MyPar setting on SG2.5.

Just updated my SG4. Everything looks good, all new features are there. Can't wait to try it on the course.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

Got an SG5 for b-day on Sunday. Got to try it out on Monday and was amazed at how fast and accurate is was. I do eed to get used to having something clipped to my belt if I'm going to use it to its full potential. I'm one of those guys that can't have any more than a quarter, 3 tees, and a green repair tool on my person.

I kept it in the cart and never even noticed the "Intelligreen" feature.

Anybody got an idea when the bird's eye view feature is due to be released and will it allow you to put the cross hairs anywhere in the fairway?

From their site...

IntelliGreen®

Only SkyCaddie’s powerful IntelliGreen® technology automatically rotates the actual shape of the green to match your angle of approach. This powerful patented technology gives you a chance to turn every shot into a scoring opportunity by providing not just the front, carry and back from the center of the fairway but the depth of green from your angle of approach and your selected line of play just like a Tour Caddie. Move the crosshairs to any point on the green and get the yardages you need for precision approach shots.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...