2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade R9

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looked at one in the store - not impressed, not at max size and seems like a deliberate copy of nike's idea for Dymo - then they're already dropping another driver this year that is at max size called R9Max - -WTF? their putting stores at a disadvantage because they need to stock R9 because it's hot now, but what about all the clubs they wont sell and then they'll have to buy more R9max's when they come out due to hype and it just perpetuates needing to have stock, then being stuck with it...just my two cents

Is This true? They're coming out with an R9Max? I just bought mine yesterday and now I feel I should have maybe waited. Uggh!!!

The R9 max was inevitable. It's a classic move, they can't really improve on the technology for maybe a year or so. As a result they come out with a smaller head first then 6 months later they hit the market with that driver MAXED out. Great marketing and sales strategy.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

The R9 max was inevitable. It's a classic move, they can't really improve on the technology for maybe a year or so. As a result they come out with a smaller head first then 6 months later they hit the market with that driver MAXED out. Great marketing and sales strategy.

That's O.K. I like the smaller head anyway. I never did like the look of the 460s.

I am in the driver shopping mode right now to replace my TM580XD and decided to go through a fitting process at PGA Tour Superstore.

For starters, kudos to those guys, spent over an hour with me, I probably hit 70 shots and 15 different drivers/lofts/shafts combo

I tried the following, Adams 9015d, Tour Edge Exotics with vodoo shaft, Cobra Tour D, Titlest, Ping Rapture, TM Tour Burner, Mizuno and the R9.

My ball speed was very consistent, 147 with all drivers. The launch and spin though really varied. The Titleist and Ping spun the most. The Adams the least. My basic problem is I tend to overhook, after watching two shots with the TM Burner that was out as well as anything with a shut face. The Adams produced the best numbers but at 2 degrees open it tended to cut.

The R9 gave me almost the same spin as the Adams, the shaft felt the best, and the sound the and feel of the head was superior. When we went to 1 degree open, at 9.5 loft I got the same balls speed but carry added 7 yards as well as the overall distance.

The only driver I did not hit was the Cally FT9, will do that tomorrow.

Right now this seems like a really solid driver, like the flexibility to adjust the setup, definitely improves upon the other offerings that have come out the past few years.

Have played 54 holes with the R9 10.5*. I am impressed.

For those concerned about a R9Max or whatever coming out with the 460cc's, I would say to not sweat it. This driver is plenty forgiving without doubt - you really have to do something wrong to miss badly enough that it would cost you.

Also, after playing this and then looking at the 909D2 at the pro shop out of curiosity - the look of the R9 is preferable to me - more compact and sleek looking.

The adjustability is a snap, and I don't see any reason that the manufacturing of the FCT piece of this driver would cause any problems before several years of play, it is very solid.

The non-TP shaft is not a true Motore F1 as someone had asked, it is however the real one in the TP version if I am not mistaken. I haven't played an ultra-premium shaft before, but unless you are very discerning I think the stock should be just fine as long as you select it to match your swing speed.

It was cool that on a windy day I could adjust the head to be more closed and help me keep it drawing and low into the wind - I'll be curious to see how the fade options work but have not tested them yet.

Distance for me was longer than the Tour Burner I had been playing and the sound and feel of this club is great.

TaylorMade irritates me with their constant releases of clubs - but the R9 is worth buying without question. I was a little leery of the hype, but feel like this club is the real deal......... and gives you some options.

Hope this helps.

Have one with a fubuki 63 in it...It may not be the longest driver I have it, but it always feels in controll...nice tight dispersion. After a couple of rounds, feel very confident with it...Don't sell the Motore F1 (the real one) short either...Every bit as good as the fubuki.

Callaway Rogue Driver with Evenflow Shaft
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
TMade P790 2 Driving Iron
Callaway Epic Pro Irons 4 - PW with Aerotech Shafts
Vokey SM6 -- 56 and 60 Degree
Custom Toulon

First off, last year I won two state/section pga events, and for what it's worth, I play equipment that performs well on the course, not in a hitting bay, no offense to others. Last week I took a stock R9 (9.5 S) to play a local event and it performed quite well. I set the clubhead to 2 deg. open and headweights to a draw configuration. This configuration allowed me to "point and shoot". My fellow pros were also quite amazed on how it performed in the wind. Previous comments were true in saying that you feel as though you can really go after it. Though this driver is by no means the longest driver for the masses out there, IMO it does justice to itself for it's ability to find fairways.

Thursday, I took a 9.5 TP R9 w/Fubuki 73 out on the course and it performed even better. In the same configuration, it had a lower and more boring ball flight by comparison and found just as many short grass locations. Again, no offense to my fellow golfers in regards to the numbers game, but if you want a great feeling driver with "do it yourself" adjustability, give this a shot.

Thursday, I took a 9.5 TP R9 w/Fubuki 73 out on the course and it performed even better. In the same configuration, it had a lower and more boring ball flight by comparison and found just as many short grass locations. Again, no offense to my fellow golfers in regards to the numbers game, but if you want a great feeling driver with "do it yourself" adjustability, give this a shot.

Could you tell us more about the combo with the Fubuki 73?? I am anxious to hear the details! It might be the one I save up for.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

can someone perhaps walk me through what each of the 8 notches on the shaft does to the driver.... i cant figure it out. i know what the ones that are marked do but im talking about the notches that just have a line there and no letters.

HELP PLEASEEE

Thanks guys!

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

First off, last year I won two state/section pga events, and for what it's worth, I play equipment that performs well on the course, not in a hitting bay, no offense to others. Last week I took a stock R9 (9.5 S) to play a local event and it performed quite well. I set the clubhead to 2 deg. open and headweights to a draw configuration. This configuration allowed me to "point and shoot". My fellow pros were also quite amazed on how it performed in the wind. Previous comments were true in saying that you feel as though you can really go after it. Though this driver is by no means the longest driver for the masses out there, IMO it does justice to itself for it's ability to find fairways.

So you're saying that Fubuki has lower flight than the stock Motore? I thought Fubuki would give higher launch with less spin?

Reshafted this head woke up......I have tried a Fuji 553 and now a Ozik Xcon 6.......both were an upgrade over the stock Motore 65 shaft. Spin was the main difference as it was lower over the stock shaft. It's solid, looks good and doesn't look closed like most TP's still do in the R position.

To those who hit it at a demo day with out a TP shaft......shame on you to rate this driver so poorly over a few range balls.

BG

1 - Neutral

2 - 1-degree closed

3 - 2-degree closed

4 - 1-degree open

5 - 2-degree open

6 - Neutral Upright

7 - NU 1-degree closed

8 - NU 1-degree open

Not in this order

Also from talking to Taylormade and the way the shafts are marked as x5ct fubuki's they are the real deal.

I ordered a 73x Fubuki and it was backordered to April 24th also from PGA Tour Superstore.

They said the heads were backordered...

Did anyone try to change the weight from 16 grams to a lesser. How did it respond, and did you get more distance.

I did this along with a different shaft......I liked how it responded and it just flat out felt better losing some head weight. Distance? I have not used it enough, plus the conditions we see out here right now are not the best to judge a driver for distance.

I did use it on a course that I have played many times before today and had it in a few spots that to me seemed a tad longer then I have had been lately there.

BG

I hit the R9 with the F1 Motore shaft this afternoon at a demo day and I think this thing is a beast. I just grabbed one off the rack and hit about 15 balls in total shock. IMHO this is the hotest driver TM has put out since the R510tp(I feel dirty for typing that). Now for the low blow. I think I will wait until July and they come out with the newest, better, more adjustable driver and pick one up on the cheap. $500 is nuts for a driver.

Does anyone know if there is any difference in the stock Motore F1 shaft on the R9 and the F1 Motore shaft one can get thru a distributor/golf professional? I know the color is different but anything else in the specs??

Yes. There is a difference; aside from graphics, torque is lower on the REAL aftermarket tour version verses what comes from TM as the F1. I suspect butt diameter is different is slightly different too. Torque is 3.0 on the aftermarket version where as it's 3.4 on the one I am ordering.

I am ordering TP 9.5 with 75 gram "S".

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

1 - Neutral

2 - 1-degree closed

3 - 2-degree closed

4 - 1-degree open

5 - 2-degree open

6 - Neutral Upright

7 - NU 1-degree closed

8 - NU 1-degree open

Not in this order

Also from talking to Taylormade and the way the shafts are marked as x5ct fubuki's they are the real deal.

I ordered a 73x Fubuki and it was backordered to April 24th also from PGA Tour Superstore.

They said the heads were backordered...

I was told the 9.5's are back ordered as well. About Fubuki... that shaft has a 4" tip. Any idea how much TM trims it to get a true "X" or "S" flex.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

According to the Mitsubishi Website the Standard S or X in a driver doesnt need to be tipped. Just when using in a 3-wood or 5-wood etc. Someone else could probably chime in better but from what i had heard the MDT technology keeps it per spec.

So i'm pretty sure Taylormade doesn't tip it in the driver at all.

According to the Mitsubishi Website the Standard S or X in a driver doesnt need to be tipped. Just when using in a 3-wood or 5-wood etc. Someone else could probably chime in better but from what i had heard the MDT technology keeps it per spec.

So i'm pretty sure Taylormade doesn't tip it in the driver at all.

You're right Mitsubishi's site states that; however that shaft has a 4" tip. I spoke with TM because I am order a shaft upgrade. They typically do what's called tip prep which often includes 1/2-1" trim from a 4" tip; not so likely with a 3" tip, unless requested.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

For now I'm playing the R9 with the stock Motore shaft (retail). I will eventually switch to a Diamana BB but I want to get out and play a little. That being said the R9 is one of the best drivers out there IMO - along with the Titleist D3. I can't get over how solid it is. Went out and hit about 20 balls with it today with the face set open 1* and everything was pretty much straight to a 10 yard cut. I opted for a 10.5 since I have low launch and low spin and I love the boring trajectory I get. Additionally I think the 420cc head is a great idea and is actually a refreshing change from 460cc.

Might I add that I will definitely be getting 13* and 19* fairway R9's as well.

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1