TPC at Sawgrass

bradvanp

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard that the stadium course is closed until may for preparation for The Players...

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

Yes, it's worth it. It's an AMAZING golf course.

I haven't played since last summer, when they renovated the greens, tees, and fairways completely...with drainage.

Here's the issue, as it relates to cost. Unless something changed, the rate is around $325 WHEN YOU STAY AT THE RESORT. A couple years ago, unless you were staying there, you couldn't play at all. Last year, I think there was just a higher "non guest" rate.

Even places like sawgrass are hurting with the economy the way it is. I wouldn't doubt that you could book a "package" through a golf travel agency and save some money as well.

Good luck, and YES, PLAY IT!!

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

the price has come down a good bit...keep checking the website to see about specials.

They were running a killer special over December (which is their high season) for staying on property and playing the courses.

They've had BIG summer specials the last couple years also--like $199 per person per night for a stay and play deal!

I'd be willing to bet it'll be cheaper than that this spring and summer with the economy. THe golf business is in for a big shocker I believe--just look at the club market (both new and resale). Used clubs have lost at least 50% of their value over the past couple months.

I put TPC Sawgrass in the category of "If you get the chance and can afford it you should"!

The stadium course is much like Pine Valley, Oakmont, Pebble Beach, etc. - courses that you have watched on TV for years and always wanted to play. Unless things have changed, they shut it down about 6 weeks before the tournament. So, depending when you are going in March, it may still be open. The Valley course isn't too shabby either!

No round is truely worth $300-$500, but the memories from these dream rounds are priceless!

Me and my friend were consider flying to florida from london to play. There is a deal from a golf travel agency that you can stay in the hotel there and get 4 rounds of golf for £450. Add £200 for flights and that will amount to £650 minus the food/drink for 4 nights in florida. Not bad really.. it would be cheaper then for us to play some of the links courses here in the uk as they are normally over £100 for just 18 holes.

I think there are a lot of "must play" courses if you get the opportunity and Sawgrass to me is one of those.

I believe you can get preferred tee-times if you stay at the Marriot. I dont know what the current rates are, it has been several years since i played there. The nice part about Sawgrass is you can play the Valley Course as well, which is a really nice course as well. Hope you decide to play it.

Here is the TPC link.

http://www.tpc.com/sawgrass/

YES. A must play it if you can. Great golf course from start to finish, IMO. I was lucky when I was a pro in South Florida I had a buddy of mine who moved up there and got a job there, so we played it whenever we went up north for tournaments. I loved it each and every time I played it. What a challenging golf course.

Then you can always say that you have played it while you are watching the Players on TV.

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Me and my friend were consider flying to florida from london to play. There is a deal from a golf travel agency that you can stay in the hotel there and get 4 rounds of golf for £450. Add £200 for flights and that will amount to £650 minus the food/drink for 4 nights in florida. Not bad really.. it would be cheaper then for us to play some of the links courses here in the uk as they are normally over £100 for just 18 holes.

If you make the trip over here you really should book an extra day and make the drive up to play Harbour Town. It's only a 3 hr. or a bit less ride from Jacksonville and that way you could say you played 2 top 100 courses over your trip.

I played it back in the mid 80's, and the green fee was around $65-$75. I really enjoyed playing it, and now seeing the price, I'm glad I went back then. I tried to go back as far as I could off the tees, so I could kind of get a taste of where the pros play from. It's a demanding driving course that rewards a good drive, but penalizes errant drives. When I played, the Marsh Landing course had just opened recently, and I remember the greens were some of the best I've ever putted on. The ball rolled so true on them, because they hadn't been beaten up yet.

I also had the pleasure of playing with Bob Dickson, who played on the PGA tour, as well as the Senior tour. I can still remember going down one hole, and this lady comes walking out of her backyard with 4 glasses of ice tea on a tray. Well come to find out, it was Bob's wife. He had called her ahead of time, so she would have it ready when we came by. I thought that was quite a gesture on his part.

I've played it twice myself. The first was Aug 2007, about 2 months after i got back from Iraq...so needless to say I was pumped up to play it. I also ONLY paid $125 because TPC had a special price for active duty military. I got there and enjoyed the new clubhouse, etc...saw Vijay running around the course. Played my round and then the experience went completely in the crapper. The bag attendant loaded my bag into an SUV who's driver was too drunk/stupid to tell the difference between his dad's plain jane green golf bag and my MacGregor Staff bag. I stood there dumbfounded as this imbecile drove off with my bag...to Pennsylvania. Needless to say I didn't handle that very well emotionally...golf is all I thought about in Iraq. I would have rather this SOB steal my 40th annivesary Mustang. And now the story get's even better--I give great credit to the staff at TPC as they hunted down this person...in Pennsylvania; and found out that he had loaned MY CLUBS to his buddie. After all, he only thought they were daddy's (who's a lawyer...wouldn't you just know). I had in my bag a pristine set of Mac 1025m blades, about 20 yardage books, and a host of other personal momentos. While I was filling out the PGA Tour incident report the pro asked me if I new what all was in my bag...(duh! I bet every member on this board knows exactly what's in his bag). I got a call a week later and my clubs were returned completely unscathed...not one thing missing and not so much as a scratch on any club--believe me I looked! The staff at TPC also gave me a voucher for a free round of golf. I must say they handled this quickly and professionally, along with the guarantee that if they didn't get my bag back they would have replaced it and everything in it. As a result of this my bag is NEVER out of my sight. So you can have a lifetime memory from TPC...one way or the other.

To the course itself: relatively small greens with alot of break-some that can't be seen, generous fairways for the most part, lots of mounding, and some water. The course was in pretty decent shape the first time I played it, but it looked like World War II the second time. I couldn't believe there were people on the course who paid $325 to play it in that condition. TPC also gives you a great goodie bag at the first tee: leather valuables pouch with TPC logo, very nice full color yardage book, ball marker, divot tool, and a very nice metal bag tag featuring the 17th hole. I've never seen any course give that much in a goodie bag. Harbour Town gives you a POS plastic bag tag that looks like it came from a bubble gum machine. However; I liked Harbour Town way better...and it was in phenomenal condition. TPC has a great finish on both nines; 8 & 9 on the front, and 16,17, & 18 on the back. The rest I could take or leave. I wouldn't want to play TPC Sawgrass again mainly for two reasons: price and course conditions. It gets an ungodly amount of play, and it's a crap shoot as to what shape it's in when you get there. I'd play Harbour Town again in a heartbeat.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

I've played Stadium and Valley twice. While Valley is worth a play, it is nowhere near the Stadium in quality.

My winter round had the course in excellent shape. The summer round was B- condition. It's just not a summer course.

I did not get a goodie bag. :(

Finished playing 17 at dusk and 18 in the dark. Hit our drives on 18 and neither had any idea where it went. Found both in the fairway. Cool! Hit approach shots. No idea where they went. Found both on the green. Cooler! Two putted for par. Played the last three holes (as tough as you will find) at +1 both rounds.

Hey MAC94,

If you can get me a yardage book for Firestone and Muirfield Village, I'll send you a bag tag and yardage book for TPC Sawgrass as I have an extra of each. Let me know if you're interested.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Not to thread-jack but, that wouldn't be Coke Stewart's plane in your avatar would it? I lived in Valdosta for the first 23 years of my life and remember that he had an old plane at the airport. I don't remember what type of plane it was though. Yours looks like a Mustang, no?

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Simp,

The P-51B in my avatar is from the mustangs.mustangs site. I believe it was repainted at some point to different colors and unfortunately crashed and was a total loss. I've seen some old planes at the airport, but never took a close look at them. I'm in the AF and work on old planes everyday...in fact a few are older than me. You should check out the website for Kinderlou Forest Golf Club here in Valdosta, god amighty what a golf course!. 7780 yards from the championship tees, in fact they made the nationwide players play from back there last year...the players were really ticked off.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

I play there everytime I get back home! It's definitely not your average course. I have a good friend that's a member, and he told me that when Davis came and played it for the "grand opening" he, along with many of the other members, walked with Davis during the round. He told me that Davis shot 65 and that was the absolute highest score that he was probably going to shoot! He said Davis put one in the "hole" on #4 going for it in 2 and made bogey. Almost made it on though. Un-freakin'-believable. Glad to see some hometown folks here!

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

It can't be shut until the players because I have a tea time booked in April!

My girlfriend bought me a trip to Florida with two nights at Sawgrass and a round on the stadium course for my 30th! I can't wait. How cool is that - especially considering im Scottish, so its not exactly up the road.

Apart from the UK, iv played golf in Spain, Portugal, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. I always take my own clubs with me and if im hitting sawgrass i'de really like to take them, but my tee off is the morning after i get to the USA, and its three flights Gla- London London - Washington Washington - Jacksonville. So im not sure if my clubs will even manage to make the trip succesfully never mind get there in time for the stadium course. Add to the fact I've just bought last week a brand new set of Titliest AP2's, im not that comfortable loosing them.

Anyway, question time. Anyone hired clubs at Sawgrass before? Can I pick up a decent set for the round. If im playing on a course like that, I want to do it justice. I play off a handicap of 6 so I can handle half decent equipment. I don't fancy going round that course with 15 year old full cavity irons with no grip left in.

Any advice, much appreciated.

Oh and nice site by the way, this is my first post.

• 3 weeks later...
The rates start at $150 now! I just booked a tee time for 02/16 at 1:30pm for $175 which includes ALL fees including forecaddie fee. Cannot wait

and I guarantee you the price only keeps coming down.

There's no way it'll be more than $100 to play there this summer considering that's their offseason and this $hitty economic climate we're in.

I'm still waiting for that deal I just can't pass up!!!