2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

High Speed Video Capture

lm3712

here are a couple videos I shot the first day I got it. Ran outside real quick on the deck.

http://web.me.com/nickpoz/Site/Blank.html

Fram rates are listed on top

This is all very helpful for those of us looking for a slo mo camera ! Thanks for posting.

Is it typical that there is more blur when you pause the video at 210 than at 420 (once the ball starts rolling) ?

Hope this doesn't seem too ignorant of a question but would there be settings/adjustments at a given # of fps to help minimize the blur ?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you get the free card from Amazon?

Thanks

It's not just the FC-100...I think it's all cameras over a certain amount. Look at the Fc-100 on Amazon. In a box below the price, it says:

"Free 4 GB Memory Card

Get a free Transcend 4 GB SD/HC memory card with the purchase of this and other top digital cameras when you buy from Amazon.com. Simply add both the camera and memory card to your Shopping Cart and we'll apply the discount at checkout. Offer valid through April 25, 2009. (Applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants or through third-party areas such as Amazon.com Marketplace, Auctions, or zShops.) See all qualifying cameras."

I ordered my FC-100 from Amazon and got the free SDHC card.

here are a couple videos I shot the first day I got it. Ran outside real quick on the deck.

http://web.me.com/nickpoz/Site/Blank.html

Fram rates are listed on top

This is all very helpful for those of us looking for a slo mo camera ! Thanks for posting.

Is it typical that there is more blur when you pause the video at 210 than at 420 (once the ball starts rolling) ?

Hope this doesn't seem too ignorant of a question but would there be settings/adjustments at a given # of fps to help minimize the blur ?

You can use a higher shutter speed and there is no blur. This was shot on a low shutter speed since it was kind of overcast.

• 1 month later...

The Casios seem to be the camera of choice here.. Are there any other contenders to check out?

I'm wondering if there are others that are less aggressive on the frame rate side, but maintain better resolution. It seems like 210fps is the best rate to use on the Casio, but 120fps would be more than enough for me, at a decent resolution. Even 60fps is plenty, with good quality captures.

Are there any other options in the 60-200fps range?

The Casio EX-FH20 just arrived today I can't wait to see the quality!

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

Thought of getting a video cam myself...I want to use it for all kinds of stuff but eventually also to record swings on the driving range...was looking at the Canon FS 21 or FS22 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder and the FS 200...looked them up at B&H Photo Video (www.bhphotovideo.com)but can't find any "FPS" rates on all 3 of them...anyone knows what the "fps" on these 3 are and also recommend one ? thx fellas...

Thought of getting a video cam myself...I want to use it for all kinds of stuff but eventually also to record swings on the driving range...was looking at the Canon FS 21 or FS22 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder and the FS 200...looked them up at B&H Photo Video ( www.bhphotovideo.com) but can't find any "FPS" rates on all 3 of them...anyone knows what the "fps" on these 3 are and also recommend one ? thx fellas...

seems like the FS 22 is the one to go with...manual shutter speed setting and has a remote so you can start / stop recording without having to walk over to the cam on tripod all the time, which should make it easier to record in sections. isn't that why MiniDV is more favorable to SD cards. Also bought a software called "JC Video" works. nicely and its only 150 bucks. Does lots of stuff...

I think the EX-FH20 is the best camera for the buck. You can clearly see the swing with 210 fps and the adjustable shutter speed is a necessary when filming the golf swing which the FC-100 does not offer. Also being able to review your swing on the large LCD screen in different speeds, and being able to easily pause... makes this camera handy!

The F1 is for the teachers out there or the people who must have the best. I would say this is only a good buy over the FH20 if your willing to make the expensive purchase ($1300) for V1Pro with the 300 fps capabilities. If not the conversion is blurry or pixelated on both. The F1 produces better images at 300 fps than the FH20 at 210 fps. Not saying this makes much of a difference but I would like to make the distinction that not all fps cameras are created equal.

I hope this helps those who can't decide between the cameras from a buyers perspective needs.

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

Anyone use C-Swing with high speed video?

Great question. The free demo won't let me do anything but view their demo swings. I would like to pull the trigger on Cswing but would like to see how my FS-20 gets along with it. Homer where are ye on this?

Send your questions directly to cSwing: [email protected]. In my experience they are excellent in answering questions. They never fail to get right back to me with good knowledgeable answers to all my questions regarding their software and cameras as well as other equipment.

I don't think cSwing has any issues with high speed video. I think all the golf analysis software has issues with direct capture of high speed video. I know cSwing recommended the EX-F1 because of the better resolution at higher frame rates.

CSwing works fine, as would any analysis software. You have to understand the the resultant video that you get out of these cameras is a standard 30fps video file. So if you record in 210 fps, your playback speed is 1/7th the original.

The trimmed videos without reencoding them are about 11-12 meg each. I have messed around for HOURS trying to see if I could reencode them while maintaining the quality and speed of the video, but no luck. I've tried a number of different codecs.

The problem is that it takes the software a second to decompress each frame if you reencodewith something like mpeg4 (the standard codec is a JPG type compression). So if you frame advance, it gets annoying pretty quick waiting 1/4 second or so for each frame. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

I figured disk space is so dang cheap that 12 meg files won't kill me.

I reencode if I email someone the video, however. Gets it down to 1-2 meg.

Thought of getting a video cam myself...I want to use it for all kinds of stuff but eventually also to record swings on the driving range...was looking at the Canon FS 21 or FS22 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder and the FS 200...looked them up at B&H Photo Video (www.bhphotovideo.com)but can't find any "FPS" rates on all 3 of them...anyone knows what the "fps" on these 3 are and also recommend one ? thx fellas...

Standard video cameras are 30 fps.

• 6 months later...

Looks to me the main differences are the size (fs being smaller), but the fc100 has 5x optical zoom, vs 3x.

Also seems like the fs is replacing the fc100, as the fc100 isn't even on their model list on their "compare" page

[url="http://exilim.casio.com/config.shtml"]http://exilim.casio.com/config.shtml[/url]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='preshotroutine' timestamp='1335118308' post='4768370']
HOW long can these cameras record video for?
[/quote]

The Casio FH100 and maybe some of the other Casio models record to a maximum video file size of 4GB. At 120, 240 and 420fps that file size corresponds to a recording time of 10.5 minutes. To continue recording the camera has to be restarted.

Many other cameras that offer high speed video have very short recording times. For example, if I recall correctly, the new Nikon J1 & V1 record HSV for only about 5 seconds. (Check that spec.) These cameras might have remote triggers. ?

[quote name='dogsbe' timestamp='1335119878' post='4768474']
In terms of frames per second, what do you need to simply see how the ball is rolling in the first 12 inches?
[/quote]

For a ball traveling at 100MPH the distance that the ball travels between frames is
(100MPH = 1760" per second)

1760" / fps = inches traveled between frames

120fps - 14.6"
240fps - 7.3"
420fps - 4.2"
1000fps - 1.8"

Camera field of view 12"
120 - one or no frames with ball
240 - one or two frames
420 - three frames
1000 - about 6 frames

To see the rotation on the ball you need 1,000 fps. Painting markers on the ball is probably necessary to see the rotation.

[quote name='BENCHMADE' timestamp='1335438829' post='4792710']
Ive been using the new ipad with Swingreader app and it works well.
[/quote]

There is a recent thread on Casio with notepads. Could you supply some detains of the equipment and any pros & cons and reply to that new thread.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/638680-casio-combined-with-tablets/page__p__4746824__hl__casio+notepad__fromsearch__1#entry4746824"]http://www.golfwrx.c..._1#entry4746824[/url]

There is also another on the Casio and iPad.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/580165-a-cool-setup-for-use-with-your-digital-camera/page__p__4775148__hl__ipad+casio__fromsearch__1#entry4775148