2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What we think about . . . Poll 5

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am riding, then I usually have a few beers, maybe a couple of beers a side.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Generally I don't drink while golfing. But then again, I don't really drink when not golfing either. Occasionally though, with the right crowd and the right course (one that knows full well that 90% of the group will be hammered before the 1st tee ball) I have occasionally indulged. My favorite round was played while drinking a bottle of Jagermeister. I still say there is no better fluid for the golf swing than Jager. You can't not be totally committed to a shot on that stuff. No matter how bad the idea actually is (like "I can cut that dogleg. What is like 320 over water?"), it always seems like a worthy chance, so you get the green light to go for it.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

This should be interesting.

Golf is such a personal game...yet the natural inclination is for a lot of people to project their own person beliefs onto what is 'appropriate' golf behavior. You could post a question about walking, drinking, gambling, smoking etc. on the golf course and get the wide range of opinions based on each person's personal behavior.

(e.g, some feel the spirit of the game is best played walking, others don't see it as an issue. Some people like to drink a few on the course, others act will point to that occassional obnoxious group to say what happens when people drink on the course. Many players feel they can't play unless they have some 'action' going on. While others are happy playing for the 'thrill' of beating their friend of a nominal prize like a clubhouse drink. Some feel smoking is a personal infringement on their health rights. Others feel it's one of few places you can light a cigar with the fellas.)

As for this topic, I see golf as a social event. I love the game as much as anyone here. But I also love being outside on a nice day having a few cold ones with my friends. So I'd say I'd consume as much as I would at a ball game, barbecue, meeting after work etc. I have no issue with how much anybody else drinks as long as they are repectful to the course and not a danger when they leave it.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I think it has been well established that driving brings about behaviors in some people that are radically different from their non-driving personae. I wonder if golf produces similar changes (ie. are non-aggressive individuals more or less likely to exhibit aggressive behaviors on the course than normally aggressive individuals).

Maybe a study for another day.

Maybe it's totally false, but I sort of think I play a more calm/relaxed round with a beer or two in me. Negative effects definitely start to happen after that point though.

If it's a serious round, I won't consume alcohol, obviously. If I'm out with my usual playing partners, we'll tend to have a couple drinks a lot of times.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

I've only drank once while golfing, I played with a couple of cops who had a lot of beers and kept offering them. I think I had 8. I am good at drinking, though, so I played as good as usual, but has a lot more fun.

Much more often, I will have a few puffs while playing. That makes me play worse, but is also a lot more fun.

The only time I have a beer or two on the course is on our annual golf junket to SC in March. We play 36 a day and will have a few on the back 18. 36 a day (18 on Sunday) for 3 days for 50 year old Ohio boys in March requires pain killers. See you in the Columbia area next week.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

I myself do not embibe on the course. But look out afterwards. I generally play the 19th hole for an additional few hours.

Always make sure you take your clubs to your car after the round.

One time my friend and I got back to my house after heavy drinking and hitting on the hot barmaid all afternoon. When he opened the trunk, there were no clubs. *%it!!! They were still in the carts sitting outside of the grill room.

Probably shouldn't drink on the 19th hole either now that I think about it now.

Oh to be young again.

9 Deg. Callaway XR Pro 16, Aldila ATX Tour Green S
14 Deg. Big Bertha Alpha 816, Aldila Rouge I/O 70 S
18 Deg. Ben Hogan VKTR, UST Mamiya IROD 75 S
Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 22-46, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120x
Tour Edge 50, X-100
Callaway MD 56, X-100
Cleveland 60, X-100
Odyssey 2-Ball Blade
Callaway Supersoft

When I first picked up the game 2.5 years ago I drank...kept my nerves under control. Now that I'm trying very seriously to reduce my handicap (15) I dont drink unless its a scramble...then I have 2 cans a side to keep me relaxed...otherwise I think about swinging too much and get pissed if I mess up.

Usually I'm alone though...just practicing

Dr. B

I don't drink on the course...or off the course, for that matter.

I've got absolutely no problem with those who enjoy a few beers or what have you over the course of a round. In almost all instances golf is a GAME played for FUN, and if knocking a few back with your buddies on the course adds to the fun...have at it!

I do sometimes wonder about some guys driving home after the round, but that's obviously a whole 'nother subject.

It all depends on the round and who I am with. With my boss or in laws or anyone that I don't really know, at most 2, a lot of times none. Then again I have done the whole 18 pack of michelob in 18 holes round with my friends from high school.

Interesting story...I shot my best round of the year while having the most drinks of the year on the golf course, it was part of a bachelor party and I think it was because I was focused on hitting the shot and then on finding the cart girl, and I had more time to do that if I wasn't shanking shots.

Played in a fraternity outing my senior year where we had alums and current students play. My group, 2 of us had a beer a hole, 2 had to be sober to drive. let me tell you, i think i had maybe 12 and it was a hot day = blacking out around the 16th. i ended up shooting an 81, and was told the next day while recuperating in bed - that i actually birdied the 17th - hitting a 7 iron to 8 feet and making the putt - LOL

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

I used to drink alot when I played. And by alot, I mean it was not uncommon for me to drink 8-12 beers during a round. Then I started walking, so I quit drinking when I was playing. Now, on the odd occasion, I'll have a beer or 3 during a round, but for the most part, it is water or gatorade. Even though I feel no buzz, or any other effects from one beer, my golf game goes to hell in a handbasket. Now that's I'm trying to establish and maintain a handicap, I'll save the beers for after the round.

I really only drink in scramble format. Then it is more of a social even anyways: usually for a charity cause and I'm there to play golf with my friends. Winning is more of an "if it happens, it happens" type thing in those settings.

Actually, this year for one scramble, my group and I started drinking champagne early in the round, telling the other groups we were celebratign our victory while waiting at a par 3 (it was like the 5th whole in that day). My buddies and I then proceeded to all miss the green. We caught a lot of s*** for that... However, our last person, who was there more for looks and company, she proceeded to step up hit a perfect 5 wood to about 4 feet. Needless to say, that was one scramble where we could do no wrong.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]