2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

ProV1 spins LESS than ProV1x....Is it just me??

rcfishy

2007 but how about 2009?
So I have a good supply of both 2007 proV1 and proV1x, and I have done this on course comparison multiple times. The X spins more off of ALL clubs. Clearly balloons more intto the wind and is consistently shorter with the irons and driver by about a club. My ss is 110-115 so compressing it is not the problem. Anyone else notice this? How do the 09' models compare in terms of spin in real world testing?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I haven't noticed a loss of distance in the new ProV1 and X, I definitely think the X is a rock around the greens. Absolutely no spin from what I've gathered. The X was always longer than most other balls off the driver for me though.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

There was a thread that some guys from the board were nice enough to make up. They tested various top end balls on a good computer. One thing I saw and asked, was why the provx spun 200 more rpm's than the prov off the driver. didnt really get a good answer - I was always under the impression that it was the other way around

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

So I have a good supply of both 2007 proV1 and proV1x, and I have done this on course comparison multiple times. The X spins more off of ALL clubs. Clearly balloons more intto the wind and is consistently shorter with the irons and driver by about a club. My ss is 110-115 so compressing it is not the problem. Anyone else notice this? How do the 09' models compare in terms of spin in real world testing?

I understand what you are saying. I also felt the 07 x model spun more than the V1 with irons and wedges. I prefered the V1 over the x in the wind for this reason. But only in the wind.

With the 09 model, the disparity b/t the v1 and the x are similar to the 05 models. Not the actual 05 ball, but the 05 stated vs. actual performance differences b/t models.

Both models of the 09 do spin less than their 07 counterpart. Especially the x.

I hope this helps answer your question

I understand what you are saying. I also felt the 07 x model spun more than the V1 with irons and wedges. I prefered the V1 over the x in the wind for this reason. But only in the wind.

With the 09 model, the disparity b/t the v1 and the x are similar to the 05 models. Not the actual 05 ball, but the 05 stated vs. actual performance differences b/t models.

That helps a lot. I agree the spin difference in the 07' is mostly with the irons and wedges. Driver distance is within a few yards with each for me. It's nice to hear that the 09' X will drop the spin similar to the 05' X. I sometimes play an 05 prov1x side by side with the 07 prov1, and they are remarkably similar with the 05 x spinning slightly less and being tad bit firmer.

Is the 09 x firmer than the 07???? If so that would be bordering on too firm.

That helps a lot. I agree the spin difference in the 07' is mostly with the irons and wedges. Driver distance is within a few yards with each for me. It's nice to hear that the 09' X will drop the spin similar to the 05' X. I sometimes play an 05 prov1x side by side with the 07 prov1, and they are remarkably similar with the 05 x spinning slightly less and being tad bit firmer.

yes, both models (V1 and x) are just slightly firmer in the cover but not the core. Don't feel it is too much. It is on the good side of the border, if the border is the bridgestone 07 B-330s which I thought was a little too firm. (especially putting)

However, I am still trying to figure out which 09 model I like better.

Kind of leaning towards the V1 even though I have played the x since it came out. The 09 v1 reminds me of a softer version of the 05x but with similar performance.

Find a buddy to buy one, you buy the other, take each dozen and chop it.

yes, both models (V1 and x) are just slightly firmer in the cover but not the core. Don't feel it is too much. It is on the good side of the border, if the border is the bridgestone 07 B-330s which I thought was a little too firm. (especially putting)

However, I am still trying to figure out which 09 model I like better.

Kind of leaning towards the V1 even though I have played the x since it came out. The 09 v1 reminds me of a softer version of the 05x but with similar performance.

Find a buddy to buy one, you buy the other, take each dozen and chop it.

I think I'm going to buy a sleeve of each, and also add the 09' B330 and the Z-star/Z-starX to have a nice 4-way comparison.

I have already tried both Callaway models and was unimpressed by the feel on and around the green. Nike has never really stood out for me, and the TM balls don't make the cut around the green.

I completely agree with what you said here. I really like the TP Red for everywhere but those shorter wedges and chips I want to control with some juice on it. I have tried the '09 B330s now and it still is a little clicky, but better than the previous one. But I really scuffed them up badly. It has always bothered me that we get the old models from overseas from Bridgestone. I am playing the ZStarX some, but am mainly sticking with the 09 V's, both models. They both seem really good, just depends on the day if I play the V1 or the V1x.

are the x's designed for swing speeds faster than 105mph???

Not excusively, it is partially designed to reduce spin since speeds 105+ can add too much spin. Some people say that the inner core isn't active at lower speeds, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

The main reason being that if you can't buy x-flex shafts without going custom since nobody carries x-flex (no stores, shops, fitting carts, etc) because only a small percentage of golfers carry that kind of speed, so why would they make a ball only for that kind of speed.

There are LPGA players using the x, and doubt they would use a ball that would not be beneficial for them with a speed less than 105.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm bringing back an older thread....but we have had the same dilemma at our local club. And we came to some conclusions through trial and error testing.............

Six of us have always played the 2007 V1x models. We are all single digit hdcp players. But that's where the similarities stop. Three of us are what would be considered "high spin" players. That is, we have steep swing planes with the irons and prefer to hit down on the ball with a wedge if the situation allows. The other three are "sweepers" and tend to even pick the ball off the turf most of the time. They generate less spin than the other three.

Here's what we found:

All 6 players liked and played the 2007 V1x for a long time. It performed perfectly with every club in the bag. The high spin players would have balls back up with clubs as high as a 6 iron at times. It was not unusual for them to back the ball off the green with a full wedge shot. The lower spin players had the touted "drop-&-stop" results with most every club in the bag. Even 5 irons would hit, bounce once, and park. They rarely over-spun a wedge shot, but it wasn't unusual to have a ball back up a few feet on full wedges.

We all put the 2009 ProV1 (not the V1x) into play for 10 rounds. Each and every person agreed that the '09 V1 had FAR LESS SPIN than the 2007 V1x. We were all concerned (to say the least) about what we were going to play since the 2009 V1 lacked enough spin to suit our games. The 2009 V1x wound be even worse...right?

Well...not so fast.

We decided to continue our testing by each playing 10 more rounds. This time with the 2009 V1x. We had zero expectations out of this ball since it is supposed to be even firmer than the V1 that had already failed to impress us. But we were wrong. Four out of the six players found that the 2009 V1x actually spun MORE than the 2009 V1. That sounds exactly opposite to Titleist's claims, and I can't explain why those results happened. The only conclusion that we could form was......

Three of the 4 players who liked the V1x over the V1 were players who hit down on the ball profoundly. We take dollar-sized divots if the turf is soft. Our swing speeds are similar with the driver, but we tend to hit our irons a little "firmer" than the other 2 players. Those are the only differences that we can discern in our games. The other guy? Well...we can't say why he spun it more, but the differences he saw were big.

We think (for what THAT'S worth, lol) that the guys who are seeing more spin with the V1x over the V1 are the players who are more...what's the term..."aggressive" swingers who create a lot of angle with their irons and also tend to have a little higher swing speeds with their irons. These were the players who were getting more spin out of the firmer ball. The other 2 actually saw less spin with the V1x and also thought it was harsh feeling with the shorter irons.

If you are in a quandary trying to make a decision between these two balls, I would sincerely suggest that you stop reading, asking, and thinking about which one would be better for your game and actually take them to the course for a comparison. And not for 1 or 2 rounds. Play each one for at least 5 rounds, and then switch to the other. Avoid switching back and forth during your testing.

I know that our results mean absolutely nothing for other players, but it DOES go to show that the claims by Titleist can be...and ARE at times...confusing.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

Funny you brought this thread back because last week I actually played the front 9 with my usual pro V1x and as usual with softer greens I was zipping them back (i'm talking 20ft of zip here) leaving me farther from the hole which is not good. Anyway switched to a new ball for the back 9 played the first 4-5 holes and noticed I was getting less spin leaving me closer to the pin, I thought this was odd I figured maybe the greens on the back dried out more or something. So I step on the number 16 (par 3) and as I go to clean the ball up I noticed I was missing the X. I guess I found the ball on the course and tossed it in my bag but I was playing a pro V1. My ball is now the prov1.

Hidalgo my ss is 122-123 so I agree with you. with a higher ss the x spins a lot more.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Hidalgo my ss is 122-123 so I agree with you. with a higher ss the x spins a lot more.

I don't know if it's the swing speed, or perhaps the impact angle. I'm not what would be considered a "long" hitter. I play a smooth 7 iron to 155. My drives usually carry to 245 or so.

Nonetheless...it appears not only from our experiences, but from the reports that I've seen from other players, that these two balls should be experimented with before anyone tries to draw a conclusion simply by reading Titleist's suggestions or by reading reviews.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I'm a 105 mph swing speed with my driver....not overly fast. I guess I'm fast enought to play the V1x, but have always preferred the V1. I get better spin CONTROL, better distance control with irons, and more distance off the tee. The V1x is shorter for me, I can't control the spin as much (sometimes it spins, sometimes it doesn't), and my iron distance control suffers as a result.

Gimme a Pro V1 or give me death! :man_in_love: (Or a Taylor Made TP LDP Black)

I can't really tell a difference between them. But, then again I will play whatever ball I find in the weeds.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Not sure about the 2007 model, but with the 2009 model the ProV spins slightly more than the ProV1x on the longer stuff, but the ProV1x actually spins MORE with the shorter irons and wedges than the new ProV1.

Not sure why.... but seems to be true.