How do you walk 18?

Zlim

Base on your sig.. You are serious about stuffing the 11/12 clubs in a Titleist pencil bag and do 18 holes!!!? I tried to use a pencil bag once for 18 holes and it was a PITA (unstructured, no legs, etc.).

Sling em on me back and walk.....every round !

I don't like 'cart golf' walking is the best way around a golf course (unless your on a lads tour and it's been a heavy all nighter with no sleep)

You can easily get a full set into a Titleist pencil bag, with space for a few balls, a drink and your car keys.... it weighs nothing !!

http://www.titleist.co.uk/accessories/carr...s/carry_bag.asp x90 bag (and they come in other colours thankfully !)

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To further AUDuffer's quote:

"What's your definition of integrity? For me it's doing what's right nobody is looking. That means playing by the rules, shaking hands with your partners after a round, repairing divots, etc. Pushing or carrying to me is irrelevant."

I couldn't agree more, and to add to it, not only does pushing/pulling irrelevant to integrity, but laughing at those who do push/pull shows ZERO class.

I generally carry, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone who didn't. Just because someone looks young doesn't mean that there isn't a valid reason that person is pushing/pulling, even if that reason is simply to enjoy the game more.

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

I used to carry but physical limitations put the end to that, then moved on to a push cart but cant do that any longer either so i switched to a motorized cart , it's the only way that i could still walk as i would probably rather quit than ride in a cart , i guess i probably will go to the top of no integrity list in some minds but then again i can say i give 2 s...ts less what they think anyway

I used to carry but physical limitations put the end to that, then moved on to a push cart but cant do that any longer either so i switched to a motorized cart , it's the only way that i could still walk as i would probably rather quit than ride in a cart , i guess i probably will go to the top of no integrity list in some minds but then again i can say i give 2 s...ts less what they think anyway

I obviously don't speak for everyone, but you don't lose any points in my book for integrity for never wanting to ride, so long as you don't call out others for riding...anyway, I'm done being sanctimonious. I'm off to the practice range!

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

It's amazing how many people carry. Saving money is great, but hanging a golf bag from your shoulders WILL cause back problems over time. Doesn't matter if you think it's bothering you... if it "hurts" after 18 or not, long term, it's not good! If a golf bag could be custom molded to your back like a backpack, that would be one thing, but that's just not possible.

Take your pick, but if you carry.... eventually, you will have back issues. Simple fact.

Took to golf at 59, six months before retirement.

Joined a club that has 3 x 9 holes and, I play all three every day and, 36 holes 3-4 times a week. It has a 132 slope from the back tees and 129/130 from the whites.

I get to the course as a single and tee-off with anybody available at the time, I am a 12 hcp. I prefer to walk and won't even think of carrying. I will ride only where compulsory, maybe six out of the twenty courses I visit in my 8-9 months season.

I have a SM-V1 three-wheeler and just bought a SM H2N0 waterproof bag. Needless to say, I have a good rain suit and six pairs of golf shoes in rotation.

I do agree that the mixture of motorized carts/pull carts may seem to slow down pace of play but, is it the pull carts or people playing 120. I understand that the average player scores 97 (golf channel survey) so, if you are a single digit hcp you will be confronted to slow play on a public course, I've played 5+ hour rounds on some week-ends, irritating maybe but, also part of the game isn't it?

I am 64 until August and, I use a push/pull cart and, I doubt very much if I would ever hold you back (slow you down) if it is your choice to carry.

PS: Last time I looked it was and, I believe it still is PRESIDENT Barack Obama!

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Took to golf at 59, six months before retirement.

Joined a club that has 3 x 9 holes and, I play all three every day and, 36 holes 3-4 times a week. It has a 132 slope from the back tees and 129/130 from the whites.

I get to the course as a single and tee-off with anybody available at the time, I am a 12 hcp. I prefer to walk and won't even think of carring. I will ride only where compulsory, maybe six out of the twenty courses I visit in my 8-9 months season.

I have a SM-V1 three-wheeler and just bought a SM H2N0 waterproof bag. Needless to say, I have a good rain suit and six pairs of golf shoes in rotation.

I do agree that the mixture of motorized carts/pull carts may seem to slow down pace of play but, is it the pull carts or people playing 120. I understand that the average player scores 97 (golf channel survey) so, if you are a single digit hcp you will be confronted to slow play on a public course, I've played 5 hour rounds on some week-ends, irritating maybe but, also part of the game isn't it?

I am 64 until August and, I use a push/pull cart and, I doubt very much if I would ever hold you back if it is your choice to carry.

Well said. If I tee off before 08:00, which is my preference, my friends and I can do 18 in 3.5 hours +/-. Our hcp are all between 5 ~ 18. If I tee off at 10:00, I am in for a 4.5 +/- hours walk. Being in Holland, drive carts are only for people with a doctor's note so we mostly push or pull the carts. I would say the split here is 80% with push/pull carts, 15% carry and 5% ride.

According to some responses, most of us in Holland have no "integrity"... :tease:

Base on your sig.. You are serious about stuffing the 11/12 clubs in a Titleist pencil bag and do 18 holes!!!? I tried to use a pencil bag once for 18 holes and it was a PITA (unstructured, no legs, etc.).

Sling em on me back and walk.....every round !

I don't like 'cart golf' walking is the best way around a golf course (unless your on a lads tour and it's been a heavy all nighter with no sleep)

You can easily get a full set into a Titleist pencil bag, with space for a few balls, a drink and your car keys.... it weighs nothing !!

http://www.titleist.co.uk/accessories/carr...s/carry_bag.asp x90 bag (and they come in other colours thankfully !)

Yep, no probs.... they all fit in there (unless you have midsize grips etc...) and I don't fill my bag up with loads of 'stuff' the umbrella clips on outside, small bottle of water, half dozen balls, handful of tee's, wallet, keys and watch all go inside a small soft pouch and hey presto your away.....

I've thought about getting a pencil bag for playing 2-4 quick holes or as a bag to take to range sessions. I have a hard time justifying it since most stand bags are so light.

Maybe the benefit of the pencil bag isn't so much its lighter weight but the lack of storage forces you to leave all the unnecessary crap at home...:)

I couldn't agree more with cubicle. I've had to debate so many of my friends concerning whether or not golf is a sport. Having people my age, and able bodied people in general for that matter, using pull carts certainly does not help the arguement. My father is in his 70s and he's carried my bag 36 holes in tournaments on hilly courses many times without every whinning for a pull cart. Maybe I look at this whole thing differently because I grew up double bagging doing two loops on a long hilly course, and also played tournament golf, where you surely would be laughed off the course for pulling a cart. I draw the line though at able bodied. If you can't haul your own bag because of a bum hip or bad back that's one thing, but it aggravates me to see a young person pull a bag because they are lazy (or need to focus their energy on making swings with non-load bearing shoulders). Unless you plan on making over 100 swings in any given round, that shouldn't be taking a toll on you. Not to call out too many people but honestly it just looks quite effeminate - like you're dragging a big purse down the fairway...or more likely the rough. All I know is if I asked my college golf coach if I could have used a pull cart for a 36 hole tournament he would have laughed, kicked me off the team, and recommended that I be expelled from the University.

Anyone who can apline trek, snow-camp, and back country ski in deep powder and difficult terrain all day should be able to carry a golf bag 18 holes. Barack Obama should also pass a law that anyone in the armed forces should carry their own bag (or take a cart if they want to relax on their time off). I mean just imaine if the enemy saw one of our soldiers pull a cart.

This is easily the stupidest comment I have seen on this board, but I've only been on here since Jan.

I couldn't agree more with cubicle. I've had to debate so many of my friends concerning whether or not golf is a sport. Having people my age, and able bodied people in general for that matter, using pull carts certainly does not help the arguement. My father is in his 70s and he's carried my bag 36 holes in tournaments on hilly courses many times without every whinning for a pull cart. Maybe I look at this whole thing differently because I grew up double bagging doing two loops on a long hilly course, and also played tournament golf, where you surely would be laughed off the course for pulling a cart. I draw the line though at able bodied. If you can't haul your own bag because of a bum hip or bad back that's one thing, but it aggravates me to see a young person pull a bag because they are lazy (or need to focus their energy on making swings with non-load bearing shoulders). Unless you plan on making over 100 swings in any given round, that shouldn't be taking a toll on you. Not to call out too many people but honestly it just looks quite effeminate - like you're dragging a big purse down the fairway...or more likely the rough. All I know is if I asked my college golf coach if I could have used a pull cart for a 36 hole tournament he would have laughed, kicked me off the team, and recommended that I be expelled from the University.

Anyone who can apline trek, snow-camp, and back country ski in deep powder and difficult terrain all day should be able to carry a golf bag 18 holes. Barack Obama should also pass a law that anyone in the armed forces should carry their own bag (or take a cart if they want to relax on their time off). I mean just imaine if the enemy saw one of our soldiers pull a cart.

This is easily the stupidest comment I have seen on this board, but I've only been on here since Jan.

WOW!! Dollelama your views on what other people do or not are quiet amazing.I just hope you never get to the White House!!!

For the record i served 20+ yrs in the Royal Marines and im now 49, i carry 95% of the time and use an electric trolly with Tour bag the other 5%

which is all pink and coverd in flowers, just so it fits your perception of cart users.

I've been on since Sept 08 and pretty much this DolleLama tops the list.

i walk all the time....i agree with everyone who said they play better when walking....the only time i ride is my saturday morning skins game....plus that course is 7600yds and very hilly

I believe the question was "how do you walk, do you use a push/pull cart or carry?"

I admit that I am curious, a very hilly, 7600 yds course is a man's course. Throw in a light breeze and you don't have to go to the gym. LOL :bb2: :bb:

I played HS and college golf and can identify with the stigma that pull/push carts tend/tended to have in competitive golf. I always carried my bag because of this. I even bought a pull cart when I started playing at age 13 (I'm 30 now) because it seemd logical but stopped using it when I started playing in HS out of fear of looking "wimpy" or different in eyes of my peers. It was just the norm for youth and college golfers to carry their bags.

That said, I think it's totally idiotic that this somehow became the norm. If it would have been more accepted to use a pull cart I certainly would have loved to do so. And I confess that today, after living abroad for 5 years and being excited about the prospect of getting back into competitive golf when I get back to the U.S. in a couple months, I am still worried about how I'd look in the eyes of the other competitors if I show up with a pull cart....silly, huh? Carrying any bag with 14 clubs in it will have an effect on the golf swing sooner or later in a round and especially if playing 36 on the same day.

I saw a video on youtube of the U.S. junior last year and noticed that some of the kids were using pull carts....maybe things are changing??

I think that's a good thing.

...My two cents.

I played HS and college golf and can identify with the stigma that pull/push carts tend/tended to have in competitive golf. I always carried my bag because of this. I even bought a pull cart when I started playing at age 13 (I'm 30 now) because it seemd logical but stopped using it when I started playing in HS out of fear of looking "wimpy" or different in eyes of my peers. It was just the norm for youth and college golfers to carry their bags.

That said, I think it's totally idiotic that this somehow became the norm. If it would have been more accepted to use a pull cart I certainly would have loved to do so. And I confess that today, after living abroad for 5 years and being excited about the prospect of getting back into competitive golf when I get back to the U.S. in a couple months, I am still worried about how I'd look in the eyes of the other competitors if I show up with a pull cart....silly, huh? Carrying any bag with 14 clubs in it will have an effect on the golf swing sooner or later in a round and especially if playing 36 on the same day.

I saw a video on youtube of the U.S. junior last year and noticed that some of the kids were using pull carts....maybe things are changing??

...My two cents.

I am continually amazed by how many people on this board are worried about what their competitors will think about whether or not they carry or use a pull cart, what color their shorts are (or whether they are pleated or straight), whether or not they are wearing a Nike hat with Adidas shoes and Ping clubs, whether their white belt is too thin or too wide. Just go play your best and let your opponents snicker at you when you go and collect the trophy. Rant off!

...My two cents.

I am continually amazed by how many people on this board are worried about what their competitors will think about whether or not they carry or use a pull cart, what color their shorts are (or whether they are pleated or straight), whether or not they are wearing a Nike hat with Adidas shoes and Ping clubs, whether their white belt is too thin or too wide. Just go play your best and let your opponents snicker at you when you go and collect the trophy. Rant off!

Agree 100%. I guess some people may just be too self-conscious sometimes. Me? Guilty as charged.

I carry, but am thinking of getting a push cart. Carrying 9 is fine, but towards the end of 18 it might be effecting me a little bit. As long as you're walking it's fine with me. Hell if the guys want to play a course where riding is required I'll do that, although I try to avoid that as much as possible.

As for the tradition and tour references, isn't the tradition for one guy to play and another to carry the clubs? That's what they do on tour. (I wish I could uphold that tradition).

Lastly, having your dad caddy for you in tournaments is awesome. If I was good enough to play in tournaments I would definitely have my dad caddy even though he doesn't play so he probably wouldn't be much help selecting clubs or reading greens.

In the end, different strokes for different folks as far as carrying or pushing/pulling.

I just ran into sun mountain's (favorite bag co...well maybe tied w/ ogio) and this thing looks SWEET!

Sun Mountain Micro Cart

13lbs....13"x15"x24"

sun-mountain-micro-cart-01.jpg

sun-mountain-micro-cart-02.jpg

Awweesomme! WOW!

At first glance, it looks fragile but, if it's a Sun Mountain, it has been tested for sturdiness, no doubt.

Love the motorcycle handles and, no more wiremesh wheels and inflatable tires.

Thanks for the preview

Amazing how many people care what others think of them. Equally amazing how many people care about what others are doing. I go to the golf course to play golf. I don't go to check out what other people are wearing, carrying, pulling, or pushing.

I have a suitcase with wheels. I'm buying a Clicgear 2.0. If anyone ever said anything to me about either, I'd tell them I'm flattered they're looking at me so hard, but already have a girlfriend.

If you like worrying about other golfers or airport goers are doing or carrying...well...*shrug*.

Amazing how many people care what others think of them. Equally amazing how many people care about what others are doing. I go to the golf course to play golf. I don't go to check out what other people are wearing, carrying, pulling, or pushing.

I have a suitcase with wheels. I'm buying a Clicgear 2.0. If anyone ever said anything to me about either, I'd tell them I'm flattered they're looking at me so hard, but already have a girlfriend.

If you like worrying about other golfers or airport goers are doing or carrying...well...*shrug*.

Seems like you've got the right mentality about it.

I was just trying to give some more perspective on what a previous poster had said about the stigma that pull carts had during youth and college competition. Just carts, not clothes or shoes or anything else. Back then in college (not sure how it is now) it was basically an unspoken rule that you carry your bag. Using a pull cart would have been like bunting to break up a no-hitter...maybe not the best analogy but hey...

Any second thought I give to using a pull cart these days is probably just a skewed view of things (like other poster mentioned) that I've developed from back in the day.

BTW, I like the looks of that Sun Mountain...maybe I'll give it a whril!

I started using my dad's old pull cart last year after my wife bought me a cart bag for my birthday last year.

I found that I enjoyed walking much better, as opposed to a riding cart (most of my friends take the lazy route and want to ride), and I usually play a lot better. I feel more "in tune" with the course when I walk. My home course is a mountain course where the first 13 holes work their way uphill, with a brutal par-5 11th hole that is the steepest part of the course. The 15th is a long downhill par-4 that really makes the legs burn as this sits beside the 11th (remember, the steepest part).

I was invited to start playing a regular weekly game last summer and one of them always walks, so we usually end up in the same foursome. So we usually end up having longer conversations during our rounds, which is one of the great things about golf.

As for some of the comments about not being manly. I have worked out since I was 13 yrs old (45 now). Have won two state bodybuilding championships and placed 3rd at a National level competition. I could carry my clubs if I really wanted to, but I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. Besides, Tiger doesn't even carry his own clubs!

As I have said before and I will say again - walk if you can, push/pull if you can't, ride if you must. But, whatever you do - explore the soul of the game. I carry or push because for me, it is the best way to experience golf. Period.

Suggesting that my manhood, patriotism, or the state of my eternal soul is somehow related to whether I sit or walk my way around the course borders on the silly.

As always

I've been on since Sept 08 and pretty much this DolleLama tops the list.

I realize that many of you responding to my post may be senior citizens who have just recently begun using the computer to send electronic mail and make postings to online forums. I applaud your success thus far and encourage you to keep learning how to use your “electronic note pad/organizer/porn machine.” By now you are somewhere between “Successfully Navigating the World Wide Web” and “Mastering Ebay” in your Video Professor tutorials. I encourage you to stick with the program and make sure you continue on to the next lesson, “Discerning Sarcasm in Online Forums.” I know it’s not always easy to tell if someone is making a “funny” or if they really are making outlandish statements such as, “Obama should pass laws concerning pull-carts and the armed forces.” To all of you seniors out there I apologize and make sure to keep it real at “The Villages.” If on the other hand, you are of the electronic generation, then shame on you for believing this was anything more than sarcasm intended to drive home an opinion.