How do you walk 18?

Zlim

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the link to look at the Smoothy even though it is not a product we have easy access to in the US. It looks like an interesting product. It is obvious that there is much more interest in these products in the Australia and the UK that there is in the States.

The Smoothy is an absolute pleasure to use. I've had a few buggies in my time, and the Smoothy beats them all hands down. Suspension makes it that much easier, especially when you're in the rough stuff. black%20eye.gif

Bloody strong too.

I wonder if we were as acculturated to walking here as our friends overseas are, would we have a much more advanced set of push/pull cart options than we have now? Several products have been mentioned in this thread that I am not familiar with like the Smoothy. In another thread, someone mentioned a push cart that is used at Bandon Dunes that looks interesting.

I believe these are the buggies utilised at Barnbougle Dunes- http://www.bigwheelgolf.com.au/shop/home.php

Here's one the wife had before she upgraded to the Smoothy.

(Click for a larger size)

th_DSC03561.jpg

This version didn't have any suspension, but the model below does.

th_Blackwallabuggie.jpg

http://www.brosnangolf.com.au/

And http://www.pilgrimgolf.com/

So much choice! :D

I am past trying to convince the huge number of golfers about the benefits of walking. This is a fool's errand. I am also past trying to defend walking against changes that a competent walker somehow slows down the pace of play. This is patently ridiculous as many others have pointed out.

A myth for sure. We never have any issues keeping up with the carts in front of us.

What is obvious to me is that those of us who believe in and practice the ancient tradition of walking as a worthy component of the game need to me more proactive. We need to seek out good products and support vendors and courses that service our needs. The riders have given the golf industry amble reasons (predominately economic) to cater to their needs. Somehow we need to reverse this. It could be that the economy will help. However, we need to be much more aggressive. How we go about this, I don't pretend to know. For my part, I'll just keep walking.

At my local, there's still plenty of people that own their own carts. And I'll admit I use a cart once or twice a year, but the rest of the time I'm walking.

I bought my Smoothy Classic on special ($180AUD), but I purchased one for the wife the other week. $250AUD from the local pro, Money well spent!

There are a few online retailers that sell them over here, might be an option if you want to get some sent over to the US.

Dazza.

I'm 24 and if I am walking, you can be sure that I will be using a push cart. I could absolutely care less if someone thinks I look stupid doing it too, fact of the matter is I don't fatigue anywhere near as bad and can focus more on playing my best golf. Don't let other people's perception of you decide whether or not YOU are going to enjoy your round, if you want to walk but don't think you would be comfortable and relaxed your WHOLE round if you carry your bag, get a push cart, stay fresh (without a back in knots) and whoop their butts while pushing your cart around.

How bad are you "fatiguing" in an 18 hole round of golf? This is not intended to be an insult, but at 24 you may want to consider some lifestyle changes so that you can walk 18 holes of golf with a bag on your shoulder without "fatiguing." Might be time to give up smoking or introduce yourself to the wonderful world of vegetables.

Also, learning the game at a very young age I was always under pressure to mind my pace, since most older golfers would see a young kid on the course and assume that I would hold them up. One thing you do when you carry is place your bag in a spot that leads you towards the next tee. Now maybe you pullers on this thread are all expert pull cart users, but I can't even count how many times i've played and the pull carts in front of me don't make it to the right spot (usually park in front of the green). Then you end up waiting for the person to walk back to the front of the green and then pull the cart along the entire perimeter of the green because you clearly cannot pull it across the green. I mean tell me this doesn't frustrate you guys as well.

You are the exact type of person whom I was referencing in my first post. You state that you are not trying to insult me but then try and advise lifestyle changes to me? Let's get this straight, I'm 6'0 and weigh just over 180 pounds, and no I don't smoke as you insinuated. Golf to me is NOT exercise, for me that is done in a gym, I am on a golf course to relax and have a good time with friends, not to carry 30 lbs worth of gear on my back to prove I am a man.

Tour Issue TaylorMade M6 9.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana X17 60x)
Tour Issue TaylorMade M5 15*(Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 70x)
Tour Issue TaylorMade 19* 5-wood (Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 80x)
TaylorMade P750 3-PW (Nippon Modus Proto "2T15")
TaylorMade MG Black 52* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* (Nippon Limited "Blue" 125)
TaylorMade Spider X

I'm 50 and have always carried, but I'm playing more competitions now and I've got me a Speed Cart Combo to put more stuff in.

Most of the time I'm hitting longer than my flight partners, and having to set the bag down, wait for someone to hit, picking the bag up and putting it back on, is just costing me too much energy. If you play in a 4 Ball with a couple of hacks, you can really waste lots of energy what could be valuable down the stretch. I've tried not "dismounting" (bag up & down 180-240 times a round) but then I'm just standing and waiting around with the bag on my shoulders.

I don't. (Regrettably.)

I've started walking more this season, but it's 9 holes only at a crack. I have a cheap push cart, which is OK. I've used pull carts rented from the club, which are OK although they could use a little penetrating oil. I've carried. Of the three, I prefer carrying a sunday bag with half a set of clubs if I'm playing by myself. If playing with others or if for some reason I need more gear push or pull is much better.

If I can find the right ultralight bag - finding one that hangs right on a tall & fat body isn't easy, I'll probably go all carry. Otherwise I might have to find a more adjustable push cart.

Carried forever until this year, when I hurt my leg at end of last year and kept reaggrivating it. Was super cautious at the beginning of the year and got a push cart.

Best thing I have ever done.

Not only has my leg healed, I'm not nearly as tired at the end of the round (I walk on a very difficult track to walk on. Lots of hills). In addition, I can take a load of junk with me such as 2 or 3 water bottles, snacks, and extra gear that I might take a chance on not carrying (umbrella, rain gear). Also keep my momentus in the bag most of the time for warmup, so I can swing that thing right up to the first tee shot. Bag probably weighs a good 5-6 lbs more now than before, but it doesn't really matter much.

The only PITA is having to push the cart around a green instead of walking across it, or dealing with ropes.

I'm 24 and if I am walking, you can be sure that I will be using a push cart. I could absolutely care less if someone thinks I look stupid doing it too, fact of the matter is I don't fatigue anywhere near as bad and can focus more on playing my best golf. Don't let other people's perception of you decide whether or not YOU are going to enjoy your round, if you want to walk but don't think you would be comfortable and relaxed your WHOLE round if you carry your bag, get a push cart, stay fresh (without a back in knots) and whoop their butts while pushing your cart around.

How bad are you "fatiguing" in an 18 hole round of golf? This is not intended to be an insult, but at 24 you may want to consider some lifestyle changes so that you can walk 18 holes of golf with a bag on your shoulder without "fatiguing." Might be time to give up smoking or introduce yourself to the wonderful world of vegetables.

There's walking on a flat 6200 yard muni with greens and tees 20 yards apart, then there's walking on a 7200 yard + 1000 between green and tee... oh, and did I mention the hills?

I carry Great exercise and saves some money. Plus i can Move very fast!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I carry Great exercise and saves some money. Plus i can Move very fast!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

It seems that most of the discussions on this topic have revolved around the physical benefits of walking (or pushing), the economic considerations of walking (or pushing) over riding, and the psychic benefits of walking (or pushing) over riding. Isn't non-riding propulsion more ecologically friendly? Aside from the use of hydrocarbons, doesn't it also seem that carts are harder on turf, more likely to cause damage to environmentally sensitive areas, cause sound pollution, and create and promote erosion? I know that not all of us are interested in these issues and many may be hostile to the idea of a "greener" golf but the USGA and the Audubon Society have created a partnership to promote more ecologically friendly practices within our sport. This is the link

http://www.auduboninternational.org/PDFs/G...overview%20.pdf

The site includes a list of suggestions for golfers who want to promote ecologically sustainable golf (the point relating to this discussion is in bold):

Environmental Etiquette for Golf

As golfers, we must accept our responsibility to ensure that golf courses are managed in harmony with the environment. Here are a few reminders of how you can continue to be a good steward!

Be kind to the course: repair ball marks and replace divots to help maintain playability.

Walk, rather than use a cart, if health permits. Walking promotes physical fitness, healthy turf, and a clean environment.

Look for consistent, true ball roll on greens, rather than speed. Lower mowing heights required for fast greens are at the root of many turf and environmental problems.

Keep play on the course and stay out of natural areas. Respect designated environmentally sensitive areas and wildlife habitats within the course.

Use trash and recycling receptacles and encourage others to do the same. If you see trash, don’t pass it up…pick it up!

Appreciate the nature of the game. Watch for wildlife as you play and support the course’s efforts to provide habitat.

Educate others about the benefits of environmentally responsible golf course management for the future of the game and the environment.

Encourage the golf course be an active participant in environmental programs for golf courses, such as those offered by Audubon International.

Just a little gasoline for the fire - so to speak.

What? Doesn't everyone use this?

002298_pullk_001.jpg

Just kidding.

I bought a used Bag Boy Navigator v1 with remote for about half price. Love it. It has an on-board compass so it does a good job of going where you want it to. I hear the new ones have a gyroscope.

Driver--Ping i20, 3 wood--Ping G25
Hybrids--G25
Irons--Taylormade Burner Graphite Shafts
Wedges--Taylormade Burner 2.0 Steel
Putter--Original Odyssey #5 WhiteHot
Ball--Original Chrome Soft

Our course doesn't allow pull carts. During the summer in the mornings, it is either cart or caddie. Caddie costs a little extra, but I like to do it on occasion. I will carry myself when allowed and the weather isn't too bad - summers in St. Louis get really hot and humid, so carrying is not attractive most of July and August for me at least.

I am 25 and carry, either ping hoofer or titleist moon bag. if you are under 40 i would say, and show up with any sort of pull cart you will catch a nice chuckle from me. not saying people with a pullcart dont play well, just is inherently not manly imo. kind of like suitcases with wheels. sure its smart, but it just looks stupid. since most people here compare to the tour, just see if any pro caddies pull/push...wouldnt be caught dead.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee.

I currently carry my bag when I walk but I am in the process of shopping for push carts. I have a problem that I pull my lat/shoulder muscles very easily and the put down, pick up, carry of the bag has given me trouble a couple of times, plus my wife has back problems and when we walk and there are no pull carts available, I carry her bag too. I like to walk when possible since I can concentrate more on the game and arrive to the next shot prepared to execute.

As for being "manly" I like to test it better by Swimming, biking and running for 6-12 hours straight and training hard 10+ hours a week to be able to do that. Trust me walking 7000y over 4 hours its recovery... but not worth pulling a muscle just to look manly so you should use better measurements to determine whos manly enough. Caddies are not on Tour to enjoy, its their job, we on the other hand go to the golf course mainly to enjoy ourselves, I work somewhere else M-F.

Peace

I've been using pull/push carts since I started playing. I tried carrying for nine holes and my back killed me after a few holes. I currently use a Clicgear V.2 and love it. I bring my own water/gatorade to the course and usually pack 4 bottles along with ice. If I had to carry my bag with everything I pack I would have had a hernia surgery by now.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

I am 25 and carry, either ping hoofer or titleist moon bag. if you are under 40 i would say, and show up with any sort of pull cart you will catch a nice chuckle from me. not saying people with a pullcart dont play well, just is inherently not manly imo. kind of like suitcases with wheels. sure its smart, but it just looks stupid. since most people here compare to the tour, just see if any pro caddies pull/push...wouldnt be caught dead.

Yeah nothing would be better for me than carrying my suitcase AND my flight bag from gate to gate in the terminal stopping every 10 feet to tell the lady standing in front of the monitors what time "the 6:30 to New York" leaves. That would be great for me...so manly. No thanks, I'll take my bag on wheels as I commute to/from work.

...and since I'm not "manly", you can give me 5 a side, I'll play from the red birds and the winnings can finance my retirement.

-mini

Ok, guys.

I'm 38. Started playing a couple of years ago. Never ever ride.

I used to carry the clubs but after I bought a push cart from BagBoy I completely changed my mind.

Walking 18 (and, time permitting, 27) is more than enough exercise. No need to carry the bag. If you carry 14 clubs and your irons have steel shafts, even with the lightest of all carry bags you will feel tired by the 14th tee. If a match is all square, or if you are one down, that's a bad time to be tired.

That being said, I'm all for push carts (occasionally I'll just carry the clubs for ol' times sake).

The way I see it, golf is supposed to be fun. If I am not enjoying my day, what's the point?

I am in my early 30s. I ran my last 5k in about 23:30.

Hell ya I pull.

I mean, when did we invent the wheel?

One friend and his dad made fun of me a little while ago. I got this: "Why do you need that that? Something wrong with your back?"

In one of my wittier moments, I said, "I will explain it when we get to 16."

The walk from 15 to 16 is brutal, and they were pretty grumpy. I got a little wiseas$ revenge!

I like the cheapo versions, they are really easy to pack into the car. My wife has a delux model, which is pretty sweet on the course, but a bit of a hassel for me to set up.

I also thought that it was a little dorky until my wife got hers. I noticed her walking down the fairway much faster than I could. You play a lot faster when you put wheels and ball bearings to work! So I tried it one day, and it was freedom like the last day of high school. I wasn't hating carrying, I was just enjoying pushing.

What manly man doesn't want to play faster? Can we explore that idea?

Hahaha this is funny. If you guys are concerned about your image & appearing 'manly', you've picked the wrong sport. Fact that you are actually concerned about how manly your or other men appear is kind of off - leave that to the females.

I use a push cart - Bag Boy Automatic - awesomeness on wheels.

Amen to that, wrong sport for the "manly" type.

BTW, I just purchased a Cadie GT A43 push cart and am looking forward to enjoy the hell out of it. I might still carry the bag for a quick 9 every once in a while but this will be my "main" wheels from now on. Last week I missed 3 days of tri training because I pulled a muscle "golfing" how manly does that sounds. No need for that just to please the insecured ones.

Peace

I still carry but I am struggling with making the transition to a push cart. I am almost 34, but recently I have been diagnosed with some issues and my doctor told me it might be more beneficial to me to use a push cart. None of the issues involve my back or shoulders and from the exterior I look every part of healthy in my 6'-2"; 200lb frame. Internally I have the body of a person twice my age with bone density issues among other things. After 18 holes I am spent for the rest of the day.

I am just fighting my self-image issues. I guess I am trying to determine if it socially acceptable on the golf course to have a push cart at my age. I think I need a "shrink" since this little issue isn't the only one I am struggling with thanks to my recent diagnosis.

this may sound strange, but i carry because i have hyper-extended my elbow three times with a pull cart which makes for painful golf. I also feel that i am more loose when i carry.

Check out this site: www.oneworldgolf.com

The Air Glide could be for you :hi:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I'm starting to think that if I could find a super adjustable push cart I might try it out. I have an Acuity model that I picked up a while back but don't care for. The usual problem I run into (being 6'7") is that it's awkward and uncomfortable to reach down to push or pull a cart. I actually get fewer aches and pains from carrying a lightweight bag.