How do you walk 18?

Zlim

Im in High School and first off would like to thank those who are serving or have served in the armed forces for what they are doing or did, you are the reason we are able to have this heated :) debate on carrying or using a pull cart.

My home course is over 7,000 long and VERY hilly, but when I play 9 I carry (if the time is available on the tee sheet) However when I play 18 I use a pull cart (soon upgrading to push cart). Carry or Pull it's still walking, i would think there would be a bigger issue with those in carts unless handicapped? I work on a golf course, and other workers have said they would walk more if they had a push cart, so its not a big deal. And frankly, I dont care what other people think of my game, how i play, what my swing looks like, and certainly not if I use a push cart or carry my bag! If someone wants to carry the bag for tradition congrats i like the idea but 7K hilly course is too much for that (imo), If someone wants to use a push cart thats cool too, if someone even wants to take a cart to each his own. My only request is that proper etiquette is shown and you obey the rules of golf (just en case people dont include that with etiquette)

On the subject of Caddies, the course I work at is holding a staff tourney and I have asked my Dad if he would like to caddy for me. He would take a cart because he is unable to walk 18 let alone carry a bag, however I will still walk.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Push with a Clicgear 2.0. One of the best golf purchases I've ever made. It also makes playing in rain a breeze.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I push, Sun Mountain all the way. I am only 30, but I started pushing when I was about 27. Up in the NW, with the brutal wet weather I have played in, if I was carrying I would have quit playing golf. having a push cart allows me to have an umbrella over my head and to haul all of my weather gear. If I were playing in perfect weather all the time, I might go for carrying more often, but that is not the case.

What I really dislike are courses that force you to pay for a cart even if you are walking/pushing. It is their way of justifying their higher prices and keeping them there. If I could get a discount because I like to walk, I would play twice as much as I do. But the cost if fairly prohibitive for me with a young family.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry whenever I can. I love the rhythm of walking and pulling a club out of the bag. Conversely, I hate the cart stays on the path and you have to carry 3-6 clubs to your ball on the other side of the fairway. I have the lightest bag I found, the Ping Mit-E-mite

I pull at my friend's club because they have these great pull carts that do just about everything. It makes smoking the stogie easier too!

• 2 weeks later...

I voted carry, because that's what I currently do. However, I have been considering purchasing a Clicgear 2.0. I'm 31 and in decent shape. However, I often am drained and lose focus the last few holes. I've been wondering if a push cart would help. Also, living in the Pacific Northwest, playing in the rain would be easier with a push cart.

My father and I always carry. My dad tried a push cart, but found it much more tiresome and slower than just carrying. Going up hills is so much harder (we have some steep ones), and you can't let go down the hills because they are too steep and the cart would go crashing out of control. We usually carry 11 or 12 clubs each. I only carry the essentials, and luckily our course has drinking water about every 3 holes, so I only need to carry one bottle.

I could definitely see the benefits of a push cart on a flat course, though.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 5 wood @ 17.5 Ventus Blue 8 X
Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
Ping Sigma G Ketch B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to carry all the time, being pretty young (mid-20s). I enjoy walking much more than using an electric cart. But I just got a Clicgear, and my first round out, it was a revelation! I never realized how much energy and wear on your shoulders, back, legs, wrists, feet and knees carrying requires. I could have played another 18 with ease. As an added benefit, I can carry water and snacks without having to worry about how much weight it adds to the bag. I feel like I'm grocery shopping a little bit (what with pushing the cart around), but I would probably never go back to carrying.

I switched from carrying a Ping Hoofer to a ClicGear push cart a few years ago and I enjoy walking the course much more. I was playing some severely hilly courses in northern Ohio and didn't mind it at all. After knee surgery and recuperation, I went to the push cart 100% of the time wherever walking was permitted.

I now live in Florida where walking is much less tolerated/permitted and miss is greatly. Speed of play is about the same, but cost, peace-of-mind, health and sociability is affected. Plus, it kills me when they close courses after rain and won't even consider allowing walkers to play.

I am about to embark on purchasing the huge sun mountain C-130 and the Micro cart because I carry A LOT OF GEAR...64% is usually food...and with my birthday and christmas coming around the corner. I'll be keeping my rain gear, light jacket, umbrella, gps, training aides and probably 17 clubs (extra driver,high bounce wedge, and 4hybrid) just to make it seem like a golf arsenal :)

and because I'm a broke college student who hates playing only 9 and can't afford the cart fees

I walk and carry 95% of the time. My bag is pretty light, I don't carry raingear, a GPS, 2 dozen balls, a 6pack of beer or anything like that. I only ride a cart when playing a course that requires it (I tend to avoid those anyway, almost impossible when on vacation in Florida), if it's over 90 degrees out with high humidity, or if there is a serious threat of an approaching rain/thunderstorm at the time I am teeing off.