2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Iron Headcovers

Why all the hate?
Simple question, why so much hate for the iron headcovers?

I am going to be getting a new set of irons, and they are expensive. If I spend $700+ on irons I want them to look good. Placing head covers on them will keep them from knocking each other in the bag, and prevent the chipping/clatter marks. Why do so many people see something wrong with this? I currently do not have head covers on my irons (using old irons now), but would really consider getting the covers for new irons.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use the covers, then comes the first ding during a round, then another, and another... after a while, the forged set had flash points on the face and dings on the bottom and clatter marks from during the round that I said.... too much work to use the covers.... oh well, that was my experience with head covers....

Hi Ump........You haven't mentioned cast or forged.....

I have used head covers on my Precept Tour Premium CB's for 7 years, and they still look very decent.

Head covers and more importantly, a wipe down after each shot is the best way to preserve clubs....carbon steel is more corrosive than stainless.....and a little softer, so they ding pretty easily......cast clubs do hold up far better without protection.

Head covers make it a small ritual to pull a club.....and you do lose a few.

But I also like them to looking good....and keep my clubs for a long time...

Do I like them - no, not really.....

Will I still keep using them - yes.

Do they serve the purpose - very much so.

If you plan to keep your clubs for a long time...and want them to look as good as possible...you go the head cover route.

Either way, I agree with the earlier posters.....its no big deal --- do your thing.

I am going to be getting a new set of irons, and they are expensive. If I spend $700+ on irons I want them to look good. Placing head covers on them will keep them from knocking each other in the bag, and prevent the chipping/clatter marks. Why do so many people see something wrong with this? I currently do not have head covers on my irons (using old irons now), but would really consider getting the covers for new irons.

Don't stop there -- make sure to cover that expensive furniture with plastic slip covers, too.

;)

I like them since I drive like crazy and my clubs are in the trunk :)

and also I hate the sound of clubs clanking around but more often than not, all of my covers are off my the time I reach the turn so I usually use them for transportation protection in the car

there is no better sound in golf than the crescendo created by GRAIN FLOW FORGED beauties clanking together down the fairway.

I have them on my AP2 irons. I have pretty thick skin so people can say what they want (nobody really does anyway) and I'm ok with it. When you pay the money for a nice set of forged irons, you at least want them to look as good as possible. Even with my cast irons last year, I used them for most of the year.

And I wash, dry and cover my clubs after every shot and it only adds like 6 seconds each time (total of maybe 3 1/2 minutes per round) so it's not like you're gonna get flagged for slow play.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

I use iron covers. I realize playing with them, they are going to get beat up a bit, so what's the point. They do what they're intended for, but for me the main reason is that I don't want people to know what I'm playing. Last year I had a set stolen, and hear about it too many times. I got rid of the stock head covers and replaced them with a set of rocket tours for the driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. I just want people avoid spotting my bag from a distance knowing what I have. Just my 2 cents.

I use them, I get top dollar for my sets when I go to sell them. And just to be ornery to those who ridicule them, why do you keep your metalwoods covered (if you do which I'm betting is the case) instead of letting them clank around, get dinged and dented and, well, you know, add some character to 'em???

OP, use what you want, keep up with your group and the heck with the naysayers.

I use them, I get top dollar for my sets when I go to sell them. And just to be ornery to those who ridicule them, why do you keep your metalwoods covered (if you do which I'm betting is the case) instead of letting them clank around, get dinged and dented and, well, you know, add some character to 'em???

I thought covers for drivers and FWs were as much about protecting the graphite shafts from the irons as it is the heads and the heads of drivers and FWs would have much more dent damage than an iron head.

I don't think there's any hate... just laughter. I recall the day when I began playing golf and headed off to the LGS and bought protective head covers for my shiney new irons. As I became more experienced and attended tournaments I quietly questioned why I didn't see others with headcovers. Suddenly it dawned on me, I am slamming my irons into the turf not all that different from using a wrench on an oily engine.

Being overly protective served no purpose other then to imply I was a bit anal and excessively proud of my clubs when in fact the score and the walk is what golf is about. I wasn't likely to have those clubs for twenty years either even though I am not a club ho... I am on my 5th set since taking up the game. I keep the bag cover on when the clubs are in the back of my car and wipe them off before and after use; that's enough care.

Ever see a touring pro anywhere with head covers in irons?? I've been around the world and haven't seen one yet. If you do, let me know.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Scoring Wedge 113g 
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

and also I hate the sound of clubs clanking around but more often than not, all of my covers are off my the time I reach the turn so I usually use them for transportation protection in the car

there is no better sound in golf than the crescendo created by GRAIN FLOW FORGED beauties clanking together down the fairway.

+1. One of the best sounds of the game. clack-clackity-clackity-clack-clackity-clack.

it seems dumb to try and protect a metal object from hitting another metal object from being carried or driven in a cart, when you later take that same item and after removing it's protective cover, you SLAM IT INTO THE DIRT at 85mph

these are tools, and golf clubs will become damaged through their normal use

You didn't just say "metalwoods," did you? :russian_roulette:

To answer your question, I keep my woods covered because they're painted, and visible scratches and dents on a driver or other wood can be a distraction at address. That, and this type of damage is not normally associated with these clubs through normal course of play. My irons, on the other hand, hit rocks, sand, and wood with unfortunate regularity, and so face and sole damage to them is somewhat normal. Since the damage that can occur is barely visible at address, and is usually not avoidable along the way, I see no point in using headcovers, since the majority of damage that they incur comes from normal play.

My league golfing partner has iron covers, while I am not the biggest fan of them personally (I just don't see the use, a golf ball beats up an iron much worse than bag chatter ever will), I have never said anything to him, and I have never even heard a stray comment about the covers one way or the other.

It just DOESN'T MATTER to 99.9999% of golfers, plain and simple. Get over it.

I use iron covers. I realize playing with them, they are going to get beat up a bit, so what's the point. They do what they're intended for, but for me the main reason is that I don't want people to know what I'm playing. Last year I had a set stolen, and hear about it too many times. I got rid of the stock head covers and replaced them with a set of rocket tours for the driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. I just want people avoid spotting my bag from a distance knowing what I have. Just my 2 cents.

Never thought of it that way but I like when there is a chance of having my clubs stolen...I keep a close eye on it all the time and even put it where I can see it from a distance when I'm in the clubhouse....It would be so nice to tackle down someone in the parking lot and have a great reason for it :)...no anger problems here but I think guys who steal clubs deserve every bit of it.

+1. One of the best sounds of the game. clack-clackity-clackity-clack-clackity-clack.

True! but I only like that when I walk...I never have head covers when I'm scaling the course. I like the noise when walking, kinda therapeutic and they are annoying when they drop and I have to walk back. I use them on the cart since they go from trunk to cart anyways and I just throw them into the behind-the-seat basket and leave them off...sooner or later I'll get through all of them

Oh and another random thing, for a guy that uses headcovers....I DONT PUT THE HEADCOVERS BACK ON THE DRIVER/WOODS/HYBRIDS on the course....weird, eh? Idk why but I like beat up woods and hybrids...but I like clean irons

My league golfing partner has iron covers, while I am not the biggest fan of them personally (I just don't see the use, a golf ball beats up an iron much worse than bag chatter ever will), I have never said anything to him, and I have never even heard a stray comment about the covers one way or the other.

It just DOESN'T MATTER to 99.9999% of golfers, plain and simple. Get over it.

Headcovers keep the backs looking clean and ding-free...golf use only affects the face...well for most people ;) and burn marks on the face are AWESOME! but I like the shiny side of my irons...but they are starting to ding up pretty nicely, those mizzy forgings are soft! I like iron covers when my clubs are new but once they past that "point" I just keep them off :)