Let me play through!!!

You hit the approach before the guy gets the chance to clear the green? Why? I'd like to say that I would leave every pin out for the rest of your round, but since you decided to risk killing me, I'd just go ahead and get you tossed with a quick phone call. No way you can deny seeing me or deny that you thought you couldn't hit the green with a 150 yd approach. Why does everyone have to be standing over the ball and swing the second it's clear? That adds to your own stress level. I say find your ball, decide on a shot and club, and once it's clear, pull the club and prepare to hit. You guys make it worse on yourselves.

Rules are rules, and they are there for a reason - but sometimes, they can be bent a little. If there is a two-ball infront who are being incredibly slow taking f****** ages on the green ahead of you you're playing to and not having the common-courtesy of letting you through I will (only very rarely) hit my approach shot when the guy in that group puts the flagstick back in the hole just send them a little warning to hurry the f*** up and stop being so damn slow. There's nothing worse than stubborn golfers who know they're being slow and that the group behind them is having to wait all the time. Completely unacceptable.

There is one thing worse. That is hitting a person with a struck shot. I love the fact you think slow play is horrible but hitting at someone isn't.

No, I think both of you misunderstood me. I have no intentions in hitting the golfer in front nor to hurt or injure them, it's just a friendly warning to hurry up and stop being so damn slow. If you 'wanna be a deathwalker, go run in one those walking only marathons, don't come on the course and take the piss spending 5 minutes on the green whilst I'm waiting for you. Also, I clearly said that I wait just as they're leaving the green, not while they're STILL on the green.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think both of you misunderstood me. I have no intentions in hitting the golfer in front nor to hurt or injure them, it's just a friendly warning to hurry up and stop being so damn slow. If you 'wanna be a deathwalker, go run in one those walking only marathons, don't come on the course and take the piss spending 5 minutes on the green whilst I'm waiting for you. Also, I clearly said that I wait just as they're leaving the green, not while they're STILL on the green.

It does not matter what your intention is. If you hit into a green when a player in front is clearing the green in plain sight, you ought to be tossed from the course on the spot. It's the same as hitting straight into someone, and it's never acceptable. Ever. No matter how slow the group is in front of you, this response is unacceptable.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I don't get it anymore. This is happening more and more, probably because more people are playing golf but don't know the etiquette part of the game.

On Sunday, we were behind what appeared to be 3 very inexperienced golfers. Not only were they completely pathetic, but they had NO sense for course etiquette. Several times they drove up to the green, and then for whatever reason, turned around and came back down the fairway! On 18, they drove up, I tee’d off, they came back. And OF COURSE picked up my ball. Yeah, someone lost their ball in the middle of the fairway! This threesome was behind an entire hole. The group in front of them was a foursome with 2 women. Women were probably better than the men, but they were all 100+ shooters.

Also, if you hit a ball onto a neighboring hole, that’s OK! It’s fine. No biggie. I’ve done it. But the players on THAT hole have the right-of-way sort to speak. We had some young kids drive their balls right onto our fairway (100+ yards left of their tee box). They drove right up the middle of the fairway, got out, took 10 practice swings each, and hit their balls. We were standing on the tee box just waiting. I said something to the kids as we left our tee box (the green they should have been playing was next to our tee box), and with dumb looks on their face told me they didn’t see anyone on the tee. We have 4 guys there WAIVING at them. Nonsense.

I’ve been very lucky over the last 2 years in that I’ve played well over a 100 rounds with very little issues. But lately, it’s been a mess. I wish courses would take some time to explain the rules of the course to ALL players before teeing off.

Look at the problem from the side of the foursome.

If you're playing in the only 4-ball in front of 10 onesies and 5 twosies, you're going to be waiting all day just letting people play through. Result: just to keep some forward motion happening, you let 1 group per hole play through and you increase your groups playing time by 1.5 hours. The poor guys behind you are going to be burnt for sure...even though you trying to do the best thing for all involved.

And this my friends, is why on some courses singles and 2-balls don't have any rights to play through. I'm not saying its right, but sometimes its not wrong.

This is why the course should never let a succession of two-balls go off one after another behind a four-ball. That makes no sense. Pair those twosomes up!

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

No one likes to be held up, but everyone should be reasonable.

It takes time to let a group through, and if the group behind is crowding you at a time when letting them through would be a time-suck, then that is not cool. It actually slows down all the other groups out there.

The OP was skipping holes and playing through multiple groups. I have done this before too, but I have been racing when I did it. I wouldn't expect the population as a whole to play to my 3 hour goal.

Here is a situation that I see a lot where I play. Crowded course, slow play, 4:30 guidance becomes 5:10 rounds. Not a big mystery. Now imagine being in between a group that is slower than average (half are slower than average) and a group that is faster than average (half are).

All day I am getting crowded by the guys in the back. As soon as a member of our team gets out of position, they want to play through.

I am sorry, but in the course of the round, if you are waiting for one member of a 4 some to hit a bad ball, you are a pain in the Word not allowed. We are all bound by the constraints of the tee sheet, and unfortuntely queues get slower exponentially. It is the same deal when we are right on pace and one of my parterns needs to look for a ball. Hey, there is nothing we can do about the mathematics of the situation. It's gonna take a few minutes, and that will slow you down a little.

If I let you play through, my 5 hour round becomes a 5:10 round, the group 2 back is now waiting. Their round becomes 5:14 and so on. The gain to you is the 4 minutes that you save, but you cost everyone behind you a lot of time.

Another issue: if you are totally keeping up and pace is kind of slow in general, you are going to be waiting on every shot. How many times have you heard, "I had to wait on every shot." Well, yeah, that is because the tee sheet was full. Don't blame it on the group in front of you unless there is a real problem.

I don't think that the OP's situation filled all these characteristics, but I want to point out the following:

It is not beneficial to let a group play through in all situations. There are no absolutes and judgement is required. Judgement leads to disagreement.

I am aware of the USGA guidlines, and they work great at a private course that sends off a group every 25 minutes. But it isn't the real-world of operational engineering for those of us on public courses where bottlenecks abound.

It does not matter what your intention is. If you hit into a green when a player in front is clearing the green in plain sight, you ought to be tossed from the course on the spot. It's the same as hitting straight into someone, and it's never acceptable. Ever. No matter how slow the group is in front of you, this response is unacceptable.

Jesus Christ, do you know how to read properly? :rolleyes:

I said I only do this on rare occasions if the people in front of me are litterally taking the piss on every, single hole, but refuse to do anything about their slow play, and I also said I will only do this once and once only. I have only ever done this 4 times in my 3 years playing golf (bearing in my mind I'm 15) so I think you're taking things waaaaay out of context.

I said I only do this on rare occasions if the people in front of me are litterally taking the piss on every, single hole, but refuse to do anything about their slow play, and I also said I will only do this once and once only. I have only ever done this 4 times in my 3 years playing golf (bearing in my mind I'm 15) so I think you're taking things waaaaay out of context.

I see that nursery school must be out for the summer.

If you have hit into someone 4 times in 3 years of playing, you are part of the problem, Son. Etiquette is becoming a lost tradition because of players like you.

If you are only 15 years old I hope that you learn that there is a right and wrong way to address slow play before you come across the wrong person on the golf course.

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

AceAZ,

Unfortunately, you are the one without a clear understanding of etiquette.

Twosomes have NO rights on the golf course. If you can't make a foursome, sit back and enjoy your wait.

Careful now, benkodi. AceAZ has quite a good understanding of etiquette.

Both the USGA rules & the R&A rules state in Section 1: Etiquette:

Play at Good Pace and Keep Up

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

I've been playing golf for over 20 years, I've encountered more slow groups than you will ever see. You know how many of those I've hit into ZERO. If you've done it 4 times in 3 years, that is 4 time TOO MANY. As MrHills said, you are part of the problem. You need someone to give you a timeout from the course until you learn proper etiquette. If my coach, teacher or father had been with me at your age and I did something like that, I wouldn't be playing golf again the rest of the year.

Take MrHills advice, before you pay dearly for it some day. Also insulting other posters is a quick way to get yourself a timeout from this board.

Just my .02

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I'm sorry but I have never met a golfer who can hit his shots exactly where he wants them to go every time. If you mishit your shot and hit this person you will hurt them. That is completely unacceptable. I understand your frustration as I've had it happen to me many many times. Frustration is no excuse however to hurt someone.

You hit the approach before the guy gets the chance to clear the green? Why? I'd like to say that I would leave every pin out for the rest of your round, but since you decided to risk killing me, I'd just go ahead and get you tossed with a quick phone call. No way you can deny seeing me or deny that you thought you couldn't hit the green with a 150 yd approach. Why does everyone have to be standing over the ball and swing the second it's clear? That adds to your own stress level. I say find your ball, decide on a shot and club, and once it's clear, pull the club and prepare to hit. You guys make it worse on yourselves.

Rules are rules, and they are there for a reason - but sometimes, they can be bent a little. If there is a two-ball infront who are being incredibly slow taking f****** ages on the green ahead of you you're playing to and not having the common-courtesy of letting you through I will (only very rarely) hit my approach shot when the guy in that group puts the flagstick back in the hole just send them a little warning to hurry the f*** up and stop being so damn slow. There's nothing worse than stubborn golfers who know they're being slow and that the group behind them is having to wait all the time. Completely unacceptable.

There is one thing worse. That is hitting a person with a struck shot. I love the fact you think slow play is horrible but hitting at someone isn't.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Again, I stress my point that I've only ever hit onto the green whilst the group are leaving green four times in my three years of playing golf and when I've hit those four shots they are leaving on the opposite side of the green I'm aiming for. My golf etiqutte is as good as the next golfer and I respect the rules, don't need some American over the internet telling me what to do thanks. The people in front of me when I hit those four shots NEVER had a problem with me when I did it because they were virtually off the green!!! How many times do I have to say that?! You have taken things waaaay out of context once again, but your probably just some old, grumpy guy who has nothing better to do in life except have a go at youngsters. Seriously, get a grip.

On the day that you mistakenly pull your short iron to the other side of the green (even touring pros do it all the time - did you see #14 at Memorial this past week?) and plunk one of the players walking off, the BEST thing that will happen to you will be to get tossed off of the course.

You easily could wind up in court - and since you are (obviously...) a minor, ever think about someone coming after your parents' assets because of your immaturity and impatience? Crack someone in the head with your golf ball - on purpose - and getting tossed from the course could well end up being the least of your worries. I may sound like Chicken Little to you but believe me it most certainly could happen.

Or, you might catch a beating you'll never forget, you just never know what kind of hot tempered player you might have just hit in the ankle, shoulder, or head. Seriously - it is NOT worth it just to send a message.

Whomever is driving you to the golf course needs to give you a serious lesson in etiquette. If you have hit into the group in front four times in your playing career that is four times too many. There is NEVER an acceptable reason to purposefully hit into the group in front, period. That's not a debatable point.

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

On the day that you mistakenly pull your short iron to the other side of the green (even touring pros do it all the time - did you see #14 at Memorial this past week?) and plunk one of the players walking off, the BEST thing that will happen to you will be to get tossed off of the course.

You easily could wind up in court - and since you are (obviously...) a minor, ever think about someone coming after your parents' assets because of your immaturity and impatience? Crack someone in the head with your golf ball - on purpose - and getting tossed from the course could well end up being the least of your worries. I may sound like Chicken Little to you but believe me it most certainly could happen.

Or, you might catch a beating you'll never forget, you just never know what kind of hot tempered player you might have just hit in the ankle, shoulder, or head. Seriously - it is NOT worth it just to send a message.

Whomever is driving you to the golf course needs to give you a serious lesson in etiquette. If you have hit into the group in front four times in your playing career that is four times too many. There is NEVER an acceptable reason to purposefully hit into the group in front, period. That's not a debatable point.

HIlls, I think we're talking to a wall. Now I know why I don't have kids. :) Are all teenagers this stubborn?

Vokey

Again, I stress my point that I've only ever hit onto the green whilst the group are leaving green four times in my three years of playing golf and when I've hit those four shots they are leaving on the opposite side of the green I'm aiming for. My golf etiqutte is as good as the next golfer and I respect the rules, don't need some American over the internet telling me what to do thanks. The people in front of me when I hit those four shots NEVER had a problem with me when I did it because they were virtually off the green!!! How many times do I have to say that?! You have taken things waaaay out of context once again, but your probably just some old, grumpy guy who has nothing better to do in life except have a go at youngsters. Seriously, get a grip.

FAR FROM the truth, but you're not interested in the truth. By the way if you come on an internet forum (an American one at that, since you seem to thing nationallity has something do do with any of this) and don't expect to get feedback on your posts, it's no wonder you don't understand. As Mr. Hills said, I hope your first lesson doesn't cost you more than money.

Vokey

The bolded segments are contradictory. You are not showing proper etiquette and respecting the rules of golf if you are hitting into the green when the players in front of you are leaving the green. And, when you were trying to show you were the man, you stated you did this to send them a message, which implies they would have to be close enough to know you did it on purpose and with the goal of speeding them up. You tried to act macho here and was called on it.

Urgh, you clearly have not read my previous post(s). I clearly state that on those four occasions I have done that (and yes, on my behalf it was probably not right) is when the player's ahead of me are virtually off the green walking down to their bags or PowerKaddy's. Not in a million year's would I dream of hitting a ball whilst they are still on the green whether they have just finished putting-out, no way would I do such a thing. What do you want me to do, hit my approach shot when they are walking down the next fairway? :rolleyes: I've obviously mis-worded some of the stuff I have written in this thread or I've had too many Red Bull's but I really don't want you to get the impression of what I think you might have in your head. I go to a pretty respectable golf club in my city, and as well as having a bit of fun with my mates, we still adhere to the rules. Sorry, if I've come across as a bit strong in my previous posts, but I want to make clear for the last time I DO NOT HIT MY APPROACH SHOT ONTO THE GREEN WHILST THE PLAYER'S AHEAD OF ME ARE STILL ON THE GREEN. NEVER. I see no reason to rush whilst playing my approach shot, but when you've got the player's behind you who are creeping up your backsides, you want to try and move a bit more quicker so you don't get held-up having to let the group behind you wait and wait.

That's my last say on the matter because I don't see what else there is to explain. Hopefully you've understood. :drinks:

Urgh, you clearly have not read my previous post(s). I clearly state that on those four occasions I have done that (and yes, on my behalf it was probably not right) is when the player's ahead of me are virtually off the green walking down to their bags or PowerKaddy's. Not in a million year's would I dream of hitting a ball whilst they are still on the green whether they have just finished putting-out, no way would I do such a thing. What do you want me to do, hit my approach shot when they are walking down the next fairway? :rolleyes: I've obviously mis-worded some of the stuff I have written in this thread or I've had too many Red Bull's but I really don't want you to get the impression of what I think you might have in your head. I go to a pretty respectable golf club in my city, and as well as having a bit of fun with my mates, we still adhere to the rules. Sorry, if I've come across as a bit strong in my previous posts, but I want to make clear for the last time I DO NOT HIT MY APPROACH SHOT ONTO THE GREEN WHILST THE PLAYER'S AHEAD OF ME ARE STILL ON THE GREEN. NEVER. I see no reason to rush whilst playing my approach shot, but when you've got the player's behind you who are creeping up your backsides, you want to try and move a bit more quicker so you don't get held-up having to let the group behind you wait and wait.

That's my last say on the matter because I don't see what else there is to explain. Hopefully you've understood. :drinks:

I am not the United Nations but it seems we have achieved a break through and peace can be declared. Senor, I sympathize with the impetuosity of youth, I was young once, two. You get into a forum like this and want to say something to appear bold and macho. Then, much cooler and mature voices hand you your head. I am confident that you never really did the things you claim. If you had, someone would have taken a certain 11 or 12 year old by the scruff of the neck and shaken them until there were no tees left in his pocket. That you probably stretched the truth doesn't mean that you aren't a good kid and a fine golfer. You probably are. What you are, is a kid. It really doesn't matter where you are from. Most kids are basically alike. We all want to fit in and be with the grownups. You just got way in over your head very quickly and got verbally smacked around a little.

Keep posting. You are an articulate and bright youngster. We need people just like you to carry the torch for the old, fat farts you mentioned. What we don't need though is an immature adolescent, armed with a potentially dangerous weapon (his golf clubs and balls) doing potentially significant damage to a fellow competitor because he thinks he is doing something acceptable (read - "cool"). You are way ahead of the game. You have learned a lesson. Grow from it.

Good Luck.

I am not the United Nations but it seems we have achieved a break through and peace can be declared. Senor, I sympathize with the impetuosity of youth, I was young once, two. You get into a forum like this and want to say something to appear bold and macho. Then, much cooler and mature voices hand you your head. I am confident that you never really did the things you claim. If you had, someone would have taken a certain 11 or 12 year old by the scruff of the neck and shaken them until there were no tees left in his pocket. That you probably stretched the truth doesn't mean that you aren't a good kid and a fine golfer. You probably are. What you are, is a kid. It really doesn't matter where you are from. Most kids are basically alike. We all want to fit in and be with the grownups. You just got way in over your head very quickly and got verbally smacked around a little.

Keep posting. You are an articulate and bright youngster. We need people just like you to carry the torch for the old, fat farts you mentioned. What we don't need though is an immature adolescent, armed with a potentially dangerous weapon (his golf clubs and balls) doing potentially significant damage to a fellow competitor because he thinks he is doing something acceptable (read - "cool"). You are way ahead of the game. You have learned a lesson. Grow from it.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the kind words and I've taken on board with what you've said. :drinks:

Look dude im not gonna bust your balls here but what if you have waited untill they drove off and then started your pre shot routine? That little extra 30 seconds to a minute could cause you to not have to wait. Im not saying every time but sometimes it could help.

It kills me when as soon as the group in front are done swinging the group behind has made contact with their ball. I was taught when starting a round if you wait for the group in front to REACH the green and you tee off then you will be able to keep a good pace. I know there are other factors involved but that would definately help.

And another thing why do people see it as some "feather in their cap" to finish fast. "I played 18 today in 2 1/2 hrs!!" So what, why is that good? Im not saying that i play slow but jeez enjoy the day a 3 1/2 to 4 hr round is what I consider standard.

I have played between lots of 2, 3, and 4 somes (I play alone alot, i like it that way) and i am able to stay right in the middle of them. I simply adjust my rhythm to the group in front of me. I pace them, i simply walk a little slower, read the putt a little longer and give them just an extra couple of seconds when they are done hitting a shot to leave. It helps me slow down and I am not rushing them.

Maybe we dont have alot of slow players, maybe we have to many fast players.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

Look dude im not gonna bust your balls here but what if you have waited untill they drove off and then started your pre shot routine? That little extra 30 seconds to a minute could cause you to not have to wait. Im not saying every time but sometimes it could help.

Hey,

I've done that before instead of being immature like on those four occasions and yeah, it's what is considered the better thing to do and I'll continue to do that if the group in front are being very slow. I don't like to rush my round - no way and I'm exactly the quickest golfer on the course because I believe that golf should be played at a steady pace, but not a steady pace where you're holding up the group behind.

What do you do when the starter joins you up with someone who can play much faster than you? I've been playing a year, and I walk because I can't afford the cart. Sometimes the starter joins me up with a group out of my playing ability, and they'll be on carts. There is no way I can keep up with a much better golfer on a cart!

Look the odds are they arent that much better than you. Think of it this way...if you shoot 100 and they shoot 80, that is basically 1 shot per hole, not that big a difference. One of the biggest things that I had to overcome when i started was "man these guys must really think I am terrible." Truth be told if i kept up had good ettiqute, they really didnt care. Trust me you dont play that much slower as a walker than you do a rider.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

So my buddy and I were in a cart playing as a twosome and the course was pretty wide open, later in the evening. We caught a group of kids (15-16?) on th 4th hole just after they teed off. I was hoping for a gesture to play through as we were clearly faster and they were all walking, open holes in front of them. Instead we get nothing, I even asked loud enough for them to hear and none of them even turned around. Its like they purposely ignored us and wouldn't let us through. So we just decided to skip the hole and move on.

We get to the 7th and catch another threesome of walkers. Older guys this time, open holes in front. I figure they would let us through no problem. Nope. Same thing, they just teed off and we were on our way to the teebox and they ignored us. So we had to skip the 7th as well. Whats wrong with golfers nowadays? No etiquitte at all!!!

To be aware of and appreciate etiquette one must have manners; they go hand in hand. We're fostering a society of rude wimps and weasels... I see it the business world and on campus regularly; sorry for straying but its as I see it.

It started with generation "X" then "Y", and now "Z" thanks to poor parenting from "X", and some older people too. It's mostly city males some thinking they are entitled while others are just unhappy with having no control over their life, or what's being dealt to them.

When in a situation you've describe they exhibit hollering out the window "I can't take it anymore" by ignoring others or being rude to just because they can. To that type of person that's all they have.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX