2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Let me play through!!!

Whats wrong with golfers nowadays?
So my buddy and I were in a cart playing as a twosome and the course was pretty wide open, later in the evening. We caught a group of kids (15-16?) on th 4th hole just after they teed off. I was hoping for a gesture to play through as we were clearly faster and they were all walking, open holes in front of them. Instead we get nothing, I even asked loud enough for them to hear and none of them even turned around. Its like they purposely ignored us and wouldn't let us through. So we just decided to skip the hole and move on.

We get to the 7th and catch another threesome of walkers. Older guys this time, open holes in front. I figure they would let us through no problem. Nope. Same thing, they just teed off and we were on our way to the teebox and they ignored us. So we had to skip the 7th as well. Whats wrong with golfers nowadays? No etiquitte at all!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people just play to have fun. sounds like you should relax or buy your own golf course.

The point is I dont like skipping holes and golfers should understand some ettiquite. If you have a fast group in a cart and you are walking then let them play through. It never use to be a problem years ago. It seems now people act like they do own the course by not letting faster groups through.

I, unlike the others on here.. completely AGREE WITH YOU.

To me, an great relaxing round of golf includes actually playing golf and not waiting after each shot. Out here in Orange County, CA.. golf etiquette is terrible. People out here all have a sense of entitlement and really have no golf etiquette at all. It's really quite dissappointing, especially when my dad taught me etiquette as part of the fundamentals of the game.

I mean what you described happens out here all the time, but one funny thing was this foursome was putting and myself and another were going to go out before them (we were riding) the lead guy tells his group to pick up thier balls and go to the tee so they can beat us to the tee. I was amazed, and we eventually were allowed to play through them on #12 (incredible that it even took that long)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

It can be a problem. Even the rules say twoballs should have priority in courtesy of the course. The problem is, it can only be expected and not demanded - that is the whole point of ettiquette. If the group in front are ignorant of this fact, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than have a polite word with them. A simple "do you mind if we play through?" usually does the trick. I wouldn't skip the holes just to get done quicker. Anyway, it's not really worth getting worked up about it - you're not doing anything wrong, just being patient.

unfortunately, if this was a public course it's pretty much the norm. Kids especially, most won't let you through simply out of spite, because they think you are insulting them.

I once played in 5 1/2 hours at a course around here. And if you think that's bad, that was only through 11 holes! ...I was caught behind 3 or 4 groups of teenagers and finally walked off. Worst part was i made 3 calls to the starter and spoke with the marshall twice. Nobody even spoke to them. And this is actually a fairly swanky 36 hole course where one is private...so you'd think they'd do something, but no

we can cry about lack of etiquette, but fact is it's loooooonnnnng gone and never coming back. Just join a private course

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I was taught early on that onesomes and twosomes had no status on a golf course.

Not saying it was right but thats what I was taught maybe they still believe that.

That's a good example of people's misconceptions of the game. If that's what they're told, how would they know any different? Maybe a word from a starter at the beginning of round to say what the correct courtesy of the course is would help. Unbelievable.

I was taught early on that onesomes and twosomes had no status on a golf course.

Not saying it was right but thats what I was taught maybe they still believe that.

That is an antiquate rule. Besides even when that used to be printed on scorecards and whatnot, common courtesy should prevail. That rule was basically set in place to let single players understand that they can't just blow through the course and play through every group they encounter. That alone would put the pace of the entire course at a crawl. However, that rule didn't mean that a slower group with open holes ahead shouldn't let the faster player(s) through. Under no circumstance should a slower group make a faster group wait on them.

This is the exact reason I have the standing first tee time at my club and always request the first tee time when playing elsewhere. Even in my normal morning threesome we finish is under 2.5 hours.

One of the problems is that buggies are designed for people who can't physically walk the golf course and are used far too much by people trying to whizz round a busy golf course in 2 and a half hours. When it's busy just walk, you may play through a couple of groups, but you'll have a lot more experiences like this where people won't let you play through.

These threads are becoming more and more common. Sort it out people.

One of the problems is that buggies are designed for people who can't physically walk the golf course and are used far too much by people trying to whizz round a busy golf course in 2 and a half hours. When it's busy just walk, you may play through a couple of groups, but you'll have a lot more experiences like this where people won't let you play through.

Unfortunately, a lot of the courses in the United States don't allow you to walk anymore. And most only allow walking late in the afternoon.

There should be no problems letting faster groups play through if there are clear holes ahead.

That said, there's nothing worse than having the course full of stormtroopers in carts trying to bully their way through the field just because they think that it's their right.

If you are in a cart and think that crowding the groups ahead of you while they are teeing off is acceptable, perhaps you need to reflect on your own standard of etiquette.

I'll always let a cart driver through if it's required, but not if they are over-caffeined, impatient wankers with an inflated sense of entitlement and no manners.

Unfortunately, a lot of the courses in the United States don't allow you to walk anymore. And most only allow walking late in the afternoon.

I have seen a trend in this. Maybe an 'all cart' or 'all walk' policy should be introduced to stop a group of carts being stuck behind a group of walkers? I know over here a buggy is a luxury for the older gentleman and haven't heard of a course yet that makes you use a buggy.

I assume most people don't know rules or etiquette. Why didn't you just ask to play through? In my experience most people won't say a word but if I politely ask to play through because I don't want to rush them 90% of the time people have no problem at all.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Did anyone make you skip the holes?

No but I'm not playing at a 4:30 clip behind some slow walkers when the corse was wide open and we were playing twice that fast. Common courtesy says to let faster groups through when open holes are in front.

Ignore him...sounds like he's the type of guy who was playing in front of you. They should get their own course so they're surrounded by similar ilk.

Etiquette in this "me" world today is hard to find.

I agree with the OP about how he should be able to play through when there are open holes. However, if you are a twosome on a busy day where the course is already crowded then, you have no "rights" as far as I am concerned. It would be foolish for my foursome to let you go through when you have no where to go. The pro shop should make that emphatically clear to singles, twosomes, and threesomes as well. Do not expect to be allowed through if there are no open holes.

I agree with the OP about how he should be able to play through when there are open holes. However, if you are a twosome on a busy day where the course is already crowded then, you have no "rights" as far as I am concerned. It would be foolish for my foursome to let you go through when you have no where to go. The pro shop should make that emphatically clear to singles, twosomes, and threesomes as well. Do not expect to be allowed through if there are no open holes.

Absolutely spot on. As a general rule, my playing partners and I will let people through if all we have to wait on is them. If we are already waiting on the group infront of us, we don't.

Unfortunately, it's not just regarding playing through that people display a lack of common sense. I was at a local course's pro shop today, not playing but looking to buy a rain suit, when a guy comes in to check in for his tee time. He looks at the clock and says, "10 minutes, right?" So the guy working tells him yes, but the course is actually ahead on tee times today - a beautiful, perfect for golf Sunday with the parking lot full and the course packed - and the starter may be able to get his group off early if all 4 of them head to the first tee. Unheard of, right? So what does this joker who shows up 10 minutes before his tee time do? He says, "I'll get a small bucket for the range." I know what the guy working the counter wanted to say was, "Forget the range, pal. If you wanted to warm up, you should have gotten here earlier. We are AHEAD of schedule on a SUNDAY, and you're going to screw that up!!!" Of course, what he had to say was, "OK sir." Some people just got no sense. Probably played a six hour round too.

Should they have let you through? Probably but there obviously was more people on the course then you thought. You skipped the 5th hole only to catch another group on the 7th. Then you have to skip the 7th...sucks. I see you are a + handicap and probably play with a similar player to yourself. This exact situation happens to me and my buddy as well, both very fast and decent players so we fly around. Now I only really play tournaments, very early, very late or try to find 4 or 8 guys to get some kinda game so we all take our time and play for something.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Where were the on-course marshals? Was anyone monitoring pace of play?

By the way, where does it say that anyone has the right to expect to play a round at a pace they determine to be acceptable. Slow play is not conducive to good golf but neither is golf at a macht schell, "Sherman through Georgia" cavalry charge.

Good etiquette is a multi-laned highway. Don't expect to get what you are unwilling to give.

I'm gonna disagree with your rant. If the groups ahead are keeping pace of play, then there is no issue here. They don't have to let you through. Perhaps, instead of "yelling", you should have went up and POLITELY asked to play through.

At the very least, you could've asked to play the hole together and then putted out and moved on. This is what I suggest to a group when I'm playing as a single.

Cobra King F6 (set on 9* penetrating)
Aeroburner Mini Driver 14*
Wilson Staff 19.5*
Nike Forged Pro Combo 4-PW
Maltby Wedges 50-54-58

Where were the on-course marshals? Was anyone monitoring pace of play?

By the way, where does it say that anyone has the right to expect to play a round at a pace they determine to be acceptable. Slow play is not conducive to good golf but neither is golf at a macht schell, "Sherman through Georgia" cavalry charge.

Good etiquette is a multi-laned highway. Don't expect to get what you are unwilling to give.

No marshalls, public course late in the day. Was wide open till we caught the kids on the 4th, skipped the 4th and caught the older guys on the 7th. Skipped the 7th and I didnt run into another group till later in the backside on the 13th. I also asked the kids if we could play through and they ignored us. I said something like "You guys mind if we play through?". None even turned around. We did finish before dark btw.

I obviously don't know you, so take this with a grain of salt ... but ...

You sound a little like the whiney, "nowadays" type yourself. It's all about you and the he|| with everyone else. You are not ENTITLED to play through ... nor are the people who drive 60 mph in the left lane when they aren't passing anyone ... nor are the people who ran up their credit cards to ridiculous levels.

"Nowadays", people feel they are entitled to certain things just because they want them. You were playing a public course, with no rangers, in the afternoon. No one forced you to play there. If you hated it that much, stick to playing your country club on weekdays.

people just play to have fun. sounds like you should relax or buy your own golf course.

If there is a fast group behind you and open holes ahead you should always let the group behind play through. Its good etiquette and good sense.

It has nothing to do with relaxing or having fun as it is neither relaxing nor fun to have to wait on every shot.

Bad etiquette is a plague on golf and it is clear from your post that you are part of the problem.