Inexpensive but good women's clubs?

For the wife...she's getting into the game
Hey all,

I'm wondering what are some inexpensive good clubs for my wife to start out with. Iron sets, woods, hybrids, putters, the whole works. Can she use "mens" clubs? I'm just not that spun up on the women's side of golf equipment. Thanks for all your responses.

[b]Callaway[/b] Big Bertha 10.5*
[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 2H
[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 4H
[b]Callaway[/b] Big Bertha 3-10
[b]Callaway[/b] Big Bertha PW
[b]Ping[/b] Eye 2+ SW
[b]Bridgestone[/b] WC 60*
[b]Callaway[/b] Tour Blue TT3

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya I thought about the Wilson Hope set but I didnt know if they were any good. Any older sets that are good? I mean if we were recommending a beginner set to a guy that was inexpensive and good, I'd say PING eye 2's....ect. Thanks

[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 2H
[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 4H
[b]Ping[/b] Eye 2+ SW

For ladies, I try and grab a set of ping eye2's in orange dot....then softstep the jz shafts twice (eliminating the 3 and 4) - replacing those with a couple hybrids - throw on the grip color of her choice and there you go. A rockin' women's set for $150 in irons...and whatever she wants to spend on hybrids/driver/SW/Putter.

What about getting any clubs with senior flex shafts?

That would probably work. One problem with womens clubs are they are quite short. My wife is 5 ft 11, and couldn't play women's clubs. And if she is somewhat strong, women's flex is really soft. For my wife, I had her fit by our local lady pro, and she put her in men's regular flex/length graphite callaways, basically she fit the right on the shelf men's profile for swing speed and length.

If your wife is 5 ft 9 or taller, I would first look at men's lenght, maybe senior flex, and thin grips if she has small hands.

Just my 2 cents...

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

My wife is about 5'4" or so....

Anyone ever hear of these? http://cgi.ebay.com/Tommy-Armour-Allegrett...%3A3%7C294%3A50

I fear that ladies flex will be too soft as you said but if I get her a men's club, then we'll have to shorten the length unless she's OK with choking up the whole time.

[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 2H
[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 4H
[b]Ping[/b] Eye 2+ SW

Anyone ever hear of these? http://cgi.ebay.com/Tommy-Armour-Allegrett...%3A3%7C294%3A50

I fear that ladies flex will be too soft as you said but if I get her a men's club, then we'll have to shorten the length unless she's OK with choking up the whole time.

If she has never played, those look fine IMO....

If she's not sure, its good to start with something inexpensive. After a year or two, and she still is interested, then spend more money, get her custom fit. I did that with my daughter. Bought her a no-name brand full set when she wanted to try out for the golf team the first time. By the next year, it was top of the line women's Callaway woods and irons. She even stold my Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 out of my bag!

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Mike C,

Have you or anyone reading this ever heard of these Tommy Armour clubs? I cant find any info on the internet about them anywhere.

[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 2H
[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 4H
[b]Ping[/b] Eye 2+ SW

Tour Edge Moda, hands down best "box set" out there. Just tallked my buddy into getting a set for his Newbie wife (same old wife,actually, new to the game) and she is thrilled. I checked them out, basically their JMAX irons and Hybrids, Driver, Fairway, 6-PW, putter and a good enough bag for $199 ($220 delivered) on ebay.

I think that Adams makes a fine set, or if you can find a used set of Callaway Gems, that could be the ticket. Don't ignore the USKG Tour Series clubs either. http://www.uskidsgolf.com/redirect.cfm?loc...0&menuID=35

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I ho'd my wife some Mizuno 6- pw Tavas that were mint off the bay. I also ho'd her Nike Ignite T-60 driver, 4W, 5W, 7W, and 9W either new or mint and then found a Mizuno Fli hi #5 hybrid and had an old Cleveland RTG 60* gunmetal lob wedge shafted up for her.

Like the guy who "lost" his Scotty, I ended up "donating" my SeeMore center shafted putter to the cause. I turned my back for a second and she had it cut down to her liking and slapped a purple ladies WInn grip on it. I said "Hey you stole my putter". She said "Oh well".

Mike C,

Have you or anyone reading this ever heard of these Tommy Armour clubs? I cant find any info on the internet about them anywhere.

Can't say that I have. But a quick internet search shows them for sale in a few places. Where there are reviews, they seem positive...... For the money the guy is asking, its not that big of risk....

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Hey all,

I'm wondering what are some inexpensive good clubs for my wife to start out with. Iron sets, woods, hybrids, putters, the whole works. Can she use "mens" clubs? I'm just not that spun up on the women's side of golf equipment. Thanks for all your responses.

have you considered looks of the clubs? it usually is a huge matter with alot of women. just like us we want a set that looks good. but men sometimes underestimate how much happier a women will be with a set she really likes the looks of. and it can make all the difference in hitting it better and wanting to play golf with a pretty set even if she doesnt hit it well...yet.

if you get a her a set that has normal looks, fine. nothing to compare with. but wait till she sees another set with all the trimmings that catch her eye... OH BOY! hehehe

... this clubhead is too bulky, the colour is boring, the jelly grip "aka winn" is nicer, this shape is funny, its too heavy.... i dont like my clubs.

the Tour Edge Moda... good find. it is a really girl girl designed set. seen it in person 2 colours available i believe.

Are you really sure that you want to do this??? :)

I think so...I just moved to the St Louis Area so I dont have any friends yet. She went with me last sunday and we had a good time...It was nice to not go alone...for now...haha

have you considered looks of the clubs? it usually is a huge matter with alot of women. just like us we want a set that looks good. but men sometimes underestimate how much happier a women will be with a set she really likes the looks of. and it can make all the difference in hitting it better and wanting to play golf with a pretty set even if she doesnt hit it well...yet.

if you get a her a set that has normal looks, fine. nothing to compare with. but wait till she sees another set with all the trimmings that catch her eye... OH BOY! hehehe

My wife understands that I'm not going to get her all the bells and whistles just yet. She is going to get something inexpensive to go out and practice with until she decides that she wants to play as often as I do. Then...she can choose what she wants as far as pretty clubs and jelly pink grips ect. :crazy:

[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 2H
[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 4H
[b]Ping[/b] Eye 2+ SW

Not too long ago, I was in the same boat. She started learning on backup irons - mizzy 900's, then after she developed a decent swing, i decided it was time for her to get fitted. We've tried everything from nike's, cobras, taylormade, adams, but the set she fell in love with was the Callaway Gems set. Out of all places, we found this at a Sports Authority; they have a little hitting room where you can test their clubs on a net. She absolutely loved the soft feel and her hits were explosive off the face. Not to mention that she just about complained how heavy/ugly/stiff/tall the other women's sets were. She's exactly at the same height as your wife and the lengths were perfect. Getting used for these probably isn't the way to go because there won't be much of a difference. We got ours from Callaway directly following a demo day for $350. Look around, and I'd suggest trying to deal down. Nowadays, your chances of getting a deal are better than they've ever been. Good luck!

We've had a bunch of threads asking about this...guys, it's really nice to buy your sweetie a set of clubs, but please don't buy something without her checking it out first. You can't make assumptions about what she'll like.

You can make a general statement that beginner women are often started out in "ladies" flex clubs because they may not have the swing mechanics/speed to optimize a stiffer flex. After playing a while she can always upgrade.

I've always advocated buying a used or last year's model OEM club instead of those cheap "everything in one bag" sets. There's real deals out there on women's clubs because there just isn't the same level of demand in the marketplace.

Start out with better tools you have a better chance of getting good results. Just my 2 cents.

It's not how...it's how many

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 2H
[b]Cleveland[/b] Halo 4H
[b]Ping[/b] Eye 2+ SW

We've had a bunch of threads asking about this...guys, it's really nice to buy your sweetie a set of clubs, but please don't buy something without her checking it out first. You can't make assumptions about what she'll like.

You can make a general statement that beginner women are often started out in "ladies" flex clubs because they may not have the swing mechanics/speed to optimize a stiffer flex. After playing a while she can always upgrade.

I've always advocated buying a used or last year's model OEM club instead of those cheap "everything in one bag" sets. There's real deals out there on women's clubs because there just isn't the same level of demand in the marketplace.

Start out with better tools you have a better chance of getting good results. Just my 2 cents.

I would agree but the women's used club market is much, much smaller than the men's market. Not the club ho's that we are. Unused sets usually sit in closets in reserve instead of the open market.

Do you know any good sources for the OP as I think used Cally or PING are great values. All I can think of is Callaway Used online.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

For ladies, I try and grab a set of ping eye2's in orange dot....then softstep the jz shafts twice (eliminating the 3 and 4) - replacing those with a couple hybrids - throw on the grip color of her choice and there you go. A rockin' women's set for $150 in irons...and whatever she wants to spend on hybrids/driver/SW/Putter.

And you can change the dot color to for a little bit of "custom". My sister's clubs are now "pink" dots.

I would agree but the women's used club market is much, much smaller than the men's market. Not the club ho's that we are. Unused sets usually sit in closets in reserve instead of the open market.

Do you know any good sources for the OP as I think used Cally or PING are great values. All I can think of is Callaway Used online.

www.callawaypreowned.com is where I've bought my clubs. They seem to always have good stock in ladies' clubs, too. And if there is something you are looking for but don't see listed, you can call and ask. Sometimes they have stuff but it's not listed online. Ping is a tough one, they control their distribution so closely that you probably have to get lucky and find someone selling a set on Ebay or something.

It's not how...it's how many

Bridgestone/Precept has a nice women's set with irons, woods and a hybrid. I saw them at a local green grass shop for $279, and then on eBay for $199. Great deal, nice set.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)