Wilson Staff Zip

UCA-Golfer

Currently I have a mid 80-90s average, and average SS on the drive, above average irons.

I have read alot of different reviews, all saying about the same thing: its a hybrid of 3 balls Nike Juice, ProV1, and Callaway Tour ix. But which ball does it play more like?

Here's more info:

Zips have the same cover and number of dimples (though the zips are shallower) as the juice.

Zips have very similar Distance to the ix due to total low compression of the entire ball (Zero core comp)

Zips have the same feel as ProV1s around the green.

With all of these tidbits of info, I honestly can't believe that Zips preforms like all these balls, especially because they are so cheap. I have tried them out in 2 9-hole sessions, slightly improving in all aspects of my game, except my putting, which was 6 strokes above normal, per 9. Would anyone recommend these balls (not for just cold weather)? Or does anyone else have some idea for a good, intermediate ball.

Thanks!

JB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see your post, I want so bad to play these because of the price. I have so many good reviews about them, but I am just skeptical about the green spin, although the reviews proclaim that they hold the greens well. I have hit them, for 2 or 3 holes and like the feel, just didn't play them long enough to see how they around the greens.

I tried them hoping to like them but it didn't work out that way. I thought the overall performance of the ball was average and I didn't like it at all off the putter. In that price range or lower and in light of the performance aspects you mentioned, you might consider the Gamer, the TaylorMade Burner TP and either of the two Srixon balls, the Trispeed and AD333.

I loved the Zip too, but could never work out the putting as well. Putts were either a foot short or I'd blow it by the hole. It's very aggravating liking a balls performance and then having to give it up because you just can't figure out how to putt with it.

Currently playing the Precept Lady IQ180. It doesn't have the green side spin of the Zip, but I love the feel off the putter. I never would have tried it, had I not found one.

When you have a slow swing speed, it's hard finding a ball the will give you decent distance, green side spin, and not feel like a marshmallow off the putter.

Currently I have a mid 80-90s average, and average SS on the drive, above average irons.

I have read a lot of different reviews, all saying about the same thing: its a hybrid of 3 balls Nike Juice, ProV1, and Callaway Tour ix. But which ball does it play more like?

Here's more info:

Zips have the same cover and number of dimples (though the zips are shallower) as the juice.

Zips have very similar Distance to the ix due to total low compression of the entire ball (Zero core comp)

Zips have the same feel as ProV1s around the green.

With all of these tidbits of info, I honestly can't believe that Zips preforms like all these balls, especially because they are so cheap. I have tried them out in 2 9-hole sessions, slightly improving in all aspects of my game, except my putting, which was 6 strokes above normal, per 9. Would anyone recommend these balls (not for just cold weather)? Or does anyone else have some idea for a good, intermediate ball.

Thanks!

JB

I have extensive experience with the ZIP, from it's start as the PX3 to its latest version - the ZIP 302. We all want everything in a ball for a decent price - the ZIP does this better than everything else I've tried and I'm certified ball WHORE!

• Forget the "it 's too soft for my high swing-speed" crap. I've had 120mph guys test it for distance - and it's right there with the proline balls in playing conditions.

• The new 302 version plays in the wind with the best, losing a little to the Srixzstar, matching the TPRed and Callyix.

• The ZIP will not skip and check from a 40 yard chip like a urethane ball in the same conditions with a like strike. Not a fair comparison against urethane, but it's the best I've found outside of urethane.

• It will however hit and sit on a full iron shot with the best of them.

• The zip is very soft feeling - if you don't like soft balls you won't like the ZIP. I was A/B ing the ZIP against the opposite extreme the B330 (non S or RX) and had to double and triple check driver/iron distances being equal - - brought out a dubious laugh.

• For putting, the ZIP is best used without an insert putter - it will be very very soft - that may be the problem some report. But for those using the new Prov1 and ZStar, the ZIP should not bug you.

• The ZIP will scuff - it's under $20 a doz!!

/I catagorize the ZIP as the perfect rec ball to compliment the the Prov1/SrixZStar/B330RX in your bag. It will be intersting to see what the new Wilson Tour ball will be like, I hope it will be as good in the feel dept as the ZIP. With the new groove regs ready to come into play, I beleive well see a softer, shortgame spinnier proline ball from all mfg. Rant over.

For a high handicapper or even better player the Wilson 50/50, which is 2 piece is close to the 3 piece Zip. The Fifty is a great is a great ball as it is straight, soft, compresses, long great off the irons and putter and spins enough for most players. .

Yeah, I didn't get to hit any drives with the 50, but before it started pouring out I got a few very good iron shots with it and man did it feel nice off of the club. Not sure how it compares distance wise, but with a 4 iron on a 200 par 3 it just landed one hopped and stopped. Pretty nice for a value ball.

I'm a high launch/high spin guy so I'm curious what it'll do off a driver though....

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

For a high handicapper or even better player the Wilson 50/50, which is 2 piece is close to the 3 piece Zip. The Fifty is a great is a great ball as it is straight, soft, compresses, long great off the irons and putter and spins enough for most players. .

Yeah, I didn't get to hit any drives with the 50, but before it started pouring out I got a few very good iron shots with it and man did it feel nice off of the club. Not sure how it compares distance wise, but with a 4 iron on a 200 par 3 it just landed one hopped and stopped. Pretty nice for a value ball.

I'm a high launch/high spin guy so I'm curious what it'll do off a driver though....

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Try it with the driver and let us know what you think. For newer players or really any player it is nice off the driver because the sidespin seems pretty low and it is straight and holds the line.

I try all sorts of balls including distance balls and the Fifty seems as long as the Pro V1X (which is a long ball), Top Flite D2 Straight or D2 Distance. The Fifty might be a little shorter than the Freak. Comparable to the Wilson Staff 360 which is pretty long and the 50 may be longer than the Titleist DT Carry or NXTs.

Hey guys, thought I'd lend my experience to the mix here. I'm a high-spin/high-launch player (especially off the driver) w/ 110mph ball speed. I normally play TP Black LDP's or ProV1's - but I have to say, when it's real windy or wet outside, the ZIP is my ball. This thing is great; long off the driver (even for higher swing speeds), drop and stop capability with all irons, able to check with the wedges, but as mentioned above, this ball isn't necessarily going to stop dead on a 40-yard approach shot. I would definitely recommend this ball. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Found a Zip in the woods and tried it out last week. Wow. May be the best ball I've ever played. Unbelievable feel - soft is an understatement. It just feels like you would think a golf ball should feel after hitting it on the sweet spot! It is just a long as any other ball I've hit and the price is right too. Doesn't have the spin of a urethane ball and tends to run out a foot or so, but it's consistent. Good feel off the putter too.

New ball of choice.... :smilie_wilson:

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

the Zips are pretty sweet as are the 50/50. I still have 2 dozen PX4 that i cant bring my self to game

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

hey Zip fans..... morton golf sales has them for 11.99 a dozen w/ free shipping!!!! I believe its last years version! :good:

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

I've used 50's all year, and still plan on using them as an early spring/late fall ball. They keep nice feel even in cold weather, and are wonderful to putt.

However, I'm now looking for a new summer ball, as in higher temperatures with the 50 I find:

- Drives balloon (seems to be a common issue)

- That soft cover turns my normal fade into a borderline slice, especially when the ball is in the air for so long

Sorry, can't comment on the Zip. Me, I need to find a ball that feels like the 50 on and around the greens, but drives a bit lower like my old Laddie Xs used to (though they putt like rocks...).

Grrrrr.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I'm a 10 handicapper and I exclusively use the 50/50's. I tried the Zips and didn't really see much difference. In fact I think the 50's are better around the green. I don't think I have lost any distance off the tee with them either. But, I do play a non-insert putter which, as referenced above, does help with putthing this soft ball. I have tried to change balls but I absolutely love the 50/50's and can't seem to find another ball to knock it off the perch.

wait till you try the new tour ball from Wilson that I'm demo/testing - good stuff

Does it still called TX4 on your demo ball?  Just picked up this months's issue of Golf Tips mag. in which it had brief description of "supposly" new TX4 Pro with improved urathane cover and softer feeling and the lettering was printed in Red/Black colors instead of existing light blue that I've been playing.  Cann't waite to try

wait till you try the new tour ball from Wilson that I'm demo/testing - good stuff

Does it still called TX4 on your demo ball? Just picked up this months's issue of Golf Tips mag. in which it had brief description of "supposly" new TX4 Pro with improved urathane cover and softer feeling and the lettering was printed in Red/Black colors instead of existing light blue that I've been playing. Cann't waite to try

The ball is black printed with Wilson Staff proto1, hopefully that means there is a 2,or 3 as well, if Wilson is really serious about competing in the market place they'll offer more than one version.

Where are you getting light blue tx4's? mine are all black.

I spent a couple hrs just chipping and putting with the proto1 last evening - comparing the ball to the prov1 and srixonZstar (current fav) and the proto1 is definitely a little softer than both, the little skip and stop chips are easy to do as well. This ball will compete very well in the short game aspect with all the other tour balls. As for the long game - we'll see; my 100mph swing speed says it is right there with the others too but I'll get it the hands of a couple gorillas to see if it responds well to proswing speed ranges.

BTW the closest ball to the proto1 in feel off the putter is the old Maxfli A10.