2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Name Your WI top 10

rlheiman

[quote name='HighSpeedScene' timestamp='1375112233' post='7560898']
[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1375071562' post='7559008']
I played Irish course today in the wind/rain sideways action. Wow what a course. Shot for shot i feel it is better then straits course. Irish was a thinking mans course, straits is just pound away. Playing the tips on irish in a 3 club wind/ rain sideways was a blast.
[/quote]

Another agreement - Irish is a more interesting course to me than straights. Like both tho.
[/quote]

The first few times I played the Irish I hated it, but that was due to letting the course get in my head. I had no chance, but after the 3rd or 4th time, I kept my focus on the golf and not all the scenery (or should I say trouble). I had never played a nice course before playing the Irish and it was like walking on to a spaceship compared to the dumpy muni's I was used to. It took a while to adjust. Now, the better the course, the more I focus and better I play. Irish, IMO is playable, but you have to have good distance control into the greens as their is so much undulation in the greens, and the greens are so big, 2 putting can be a chore. The front nine you can score and the back nine is a few strokes harder IMO. Love all the sculpted fairways, long grass w/ the wind, elevation changes, lots of uneven lies, and if their is wind or other weather, be ready to grind:)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family has a place in Green Lake so I've had a chance to play some nice courses up that way. Here's my personal top 10 based on courses I've played...

1. University Ridge (loved it, but played great there so that's probably why I have it so high)
2. Blackwolf Run River
3. Whistling Straits (would love to go back and play it now that I'm about 20 strokes better than I was when I was there and also on a day when its not 103 degrees)
4. Washington County (best bang for the buck in the state)
5. Erin Hills (great course, but not $300 better than its neighbor Washington County)
6. Lawsonia Woodlands (would be higher except condition issues have become a factor last couple years)
7. Lawsonia Links (see above)
8. Sentry World (played it almost 30 years ago so hard to remember, can't wait to go back after remodel)
9. Mascoutin Blue-9 (of the 27 holes this newest 9 stands out in a big way)
10. Two Oaks North (a horrible course, very easy, but I shot the best score of my life there 77 so I gotta put it on the list :)

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1389388096' post='8437283']
My family has a place in Green Lake so I've had a chance to play some nice courses up that way. Here's my personal top 10 based on courses I've played...

1. University Ridge (loved it, but played great there so that's probably why I have it so high)
2. Blackwolf Run River
3. Whistling Straits (would love to go back and play it now that I'm about 20 strokes better than I was when I was there and also on a day when its not 103 degrees)
5. Erin Hills (great course, but not $300 better than its neighbor Washington County)
6. Lawsonia Woodlands (would be higher except condition issues have become a factor last couple years)
8. Sentry World (played it almost 30 years ago so hard to remember, can't wait to go back after remodel)
10. Two Oaks North (a horrible course, very easy, but I shot the best score of my life there 77 so I gotta put it on the list :)
[/quote]Good to see the love for Washington County in there!

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1389388254' post='8437307']

2. Blackwolf Run River
[/quote]

Love that course. Every year I do a buddies trip with 3 friends from Florida. I pick them up at the airport in Milwaukee and our first stop is an afternoon tee time at Wash County to kick off our weekend.

I heard a rumor though that Wash County might be closing due to funds. Anyone on here know anything about that? What a shame that would be.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1389388651' post='8437357']

2. Blackwolf Run River
[/quote]

Love that course. Every year I do a buddies trip with 3 friends from Florida. I pick them up at the airport in Milwaukee and our first stop is an afternoon tee time at Wash County to kick off our weekend.

I heard a rumor though that Wash County might be closing due to funds. Anyone on here know anything about that? What a shame that would be.
[/quote]That would be a HUGE disappointment. I moved from Milwaukee to North Carolina a few years ago and really miss that course.

I think for the price, one of the best deals in Wisconsin.

I haven't heard they have money issues.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1389388807' post='8437375']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1389388651' post='8437357']

2. Blackwolf Run River
[/quote]

[/quote]That would be a HUGE disappointment. I moved from Milwaukee to North Carolina a few years ago and really miss that course.

I think for the price, one of the best deals in Wisconsin.

I haven't heard they have money issues.
[/quote]

That would be a huge blow. I make the 3+ hr. roundtrip a handful of times per year just to play the course.

1. Whistling Straits - Straits
2. Blackwolf Run
3. Erin Hills (and I didn't even get to play... just see the first few holes...rained out :( )
4. Whistling Straits - Irish
11. The Bull at Pinehurst Farms.

All I've had the pleasure to play so far. Can't wait to come back. And no, that isn't a mistake on the Bull. I thought it was highly overrated imo.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is great. Found some places I definitely want to check out. Let's keep it going. Mine would go as follows and I would say the top 6 are are pretty close together

1. Blackwolf Meadows - late season specials here are best golf deal on the planet

2. Lawsonia Links Course - best deal in WI any time of the year

3. Whistling Straights - only played it twice, really expensive, but it is really spectacular

4. Blackwolf River - not the best deal, but it is pretty, have to play it at least once

5. Onidea CC (private) - perfect conditions and awesome old school parkland style course

6. University Ridge - great course, gotta go to Nevada Bob's store if you are in the area, best store in WI

7. Erin Hills - awesome course, just not that impressed for how much they charge. Would rather go play 36 at Lawsonia for less than half the cost.

8a and 8b. The Bull or The Bog - both tough courses, both well kept, both have good specials

9. Lawsonia Woodlands - wish it was better manicured, but its a nice layout and is fun to play 36 with the Links course

10. Brown County - favorite public course in Green Bay area, where I learned to play and should be even better now that they rebuilt the greens

Lots of other great courses out there too. WI has to be one of the best places to play golf. Too bad we can only play just over half the year.

G25 8.5* - Speeder TS 7.2x
RBZ Stage2 TS - Black Tie 8M3x
Anser 17* - SteelFiber 95x
J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

[quote name='Cochese23' timestamp='1391050379' post='8562190']
This thread is great. Found some places I definitely want to check out. Let's keep it going. Mine would go as follows and I would say the top 6 are are pretty close together

1. Blackwolf Meadows - late season specials here are best golf deal on the planet

2. Lawsonia Links Course - best deal in WI any time of the year

3. Whistling Straights - only played it twice, really expensive, but it is really spectacular

4. Blackwolf River - not the best deal, but it is pretty, have to play it at least once

5. Onidea CC (private) - perfect conditions and awesome old school parkland style course

6. University Ridge - great course, gotta go to Nevada Bob's store if you are in the area, best store in WI

7. Erin Hills - awesome course, just not that impressed for how much they charge. Would rather go play 36 at Lawsonia for less than half the cost.

8a and 8b. The Bull or The Bog - both tough courses, both well kept, both have good specials

9. Lawsonia Woodlands - wish it was better manicured, but its a nice layout and is fun to play 36 with the Links course

10. Brown County - favorite public course in Green Bay area, where I learned to play and should be even better now that they rebuilt the greens

Lots of other great courses out there too. WI has to be one of the best places to play golf. Too bad we can only play just over half the year.
[/quote]

Re: Brown County. I did not play it last year due to the greens, but I'm wandering if you've heard any news about the redo? Will the course be ready to go this year?

I played it for the first time two seasons ago and went back several times in spring and fall. Love it!

[quote name='Cochese23' timestamp='1391500515' post='8595240']
As far as I know, Brown County should be open in spring. Their website says everything went as planned
[/quote]

Cool. I know my Buddy wants to play Thornberry Creek in Oneida. I would like to check out Brown County too.

Sentry World in Stevens Point did some changes too. Will open up this year again. I can't wait to see what they did.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1391517216' post='8595480']
[quote name='Cochese23' timestamp='1391500515' post='8595240']
As far as I know, Brown County should be open in spring. Their website says everything went as planned
[/quote]

Cool. I know my Buddy wants to play Thornberry Creek in Oneida. I would like to check out Brown County too.

Sentry World in Stevens Point did some changes too. Will open up this year again. I can't wait to see what they did.
[/quote]

Thornberry is ok. It could be great but it's over played and overwatered. Greens are always super slow and spongey. They have a ton of outings too, which never helps. But it's still the second best public course in GB.

Brown county is a great layout and it really is nice for a public course. Just gets a lot of traffic and suffers from really slow play.

J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

Is Northern Bay still open? I know it went bankrupt a few times. I played it in 2012 for my bachelor party. Fun course and a cool idea with the replica holes. Some of the holes they claimed to be replicas were a little far fetched, but it was still cool. Course is in the middle of nowhere though.

J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

• 4 weeks later...

1. Wild Rock
2. The Bull
3. University Ridge
3. Geneva National Player Course
4. Legends at Bergamont
5. Hawk's View
6. The Bog
7. Trappers Turn
8. Fire Ridge
9. Grand Geneva
10. Ironwood

Honorable Mentions (great courses at good rates - just not 4-5 star quality like the above mentioned):
Morningstar - great layout but unjustified pricing
Naga-waukee - great layout
Fairways of Woodside - some fun holes and well maintained
Brighton Dale - great conditions for muni and fun layout
House on the Rock - played once and remember it as being very fun
Devil's Head - not the greatest quality but very fun layout
Alpine Valley - (see Devil's Head above)

Places I haven't yet golfed so my list is not entirely accurate:
Erin Hills/Blackwolf Run/Whistling Straits/Lawsania

I have heard from many people, friends and strangers, that [b]Strawberry Creek [/b]is one of the nicest courses in Wisconsin. From what I am seeing, though, it is strictly private. Anyone know if you can get on or do you have to know someone? From every report I have heard this course could possibly be the best in Wisconsin.

[quote name='PooN' timestamp='1393887261' post='8790257']
I have heard from many people, friends and strangers, that [b]Strawberry Creek [/b]is one of the nicest courses in Wisconsin. From what I am seeing, though, it is strictly private. Anyone know if you can get on or do you have to know someone? From every report I have heard this course could possibly be the best in Wisconsin.
[/quote]

I have played Strawberry Creek a couple times. I played once with am employee on a Monday while the course was close, and a couple more times in various tournaments. U would say it's an incredible course, very well manicured, but certainly not the best in Wisconsin.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im not going to make a numbered list, just a few of my favorites that ARE NOT the courses in Kohler or The Bull kind (kind of overrated IMO)

- Mascountin GC
- Turtleback
- Green Bay CC
- Bulls Eye CC (favorite 25 min drive course)
- Wausau CC (old timey place your shots well CC, love it)
- Greenwood Hills CC (A definite challenge from the tips)
- Uni Ridge
- Royal St. Patricks ( Cant believe this isnt on here yet!) you can play it twilight for $27 riding. dont walk its a 7.5 mile trek

Paradym 💎💎💎 9* - Diamana zf 50x

Rogue ST LS 15* - Ventus Black 7x

Rogue ST LS 18* - Ventus Black 8x

TM P770/MC  4-9 -  Modus 120x

Titleist SM9 46/50/54/59 -  T.I. s400

Bettinardi Queen Bee #10 Blackout

Pro v1

[quote name='WiShanks' timestamp='1397523160' post='9092339']
Im not going to make a numbered list, just a few of my favorites that ARE NOT the courses in Kohler or The Bull kind (kind of overrated IMO)

- Mascountin GC
- Turtleback
- Green Bay CC
- Uni Ridge
- Royal St. Patricks ( Cant believe this isnt on here yet!) you can play it twilight for $27 riding. dont walk its a 7.5 mile trek
[/quote]

Wis...Royal St. Patricks looks awesome! Love their 19th hole, too. Even a great website, which cannot be said about many courses. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Love this topic, I'm always looking for new and fun courses. I will not number my top course but here are my favorites that I've played.

The Bull (not overrated IMO)
Washington County
All the Kohler courses (Meadow Valleys being my favorite)
U Ridge
The Orchards @ Egg Harbor
Sentury World
Apostle Highlands
St. Germain Golf Club

• 10 months later...

This is a great discovery on a day with weather like today when I'm itching to get out and play (and can't)...

Here are a couple of other nice courses I'd throw out there: (note: these aren't Kohler nice, but solid value rounds)

Eagle Creek (Hortonville - http://www.eaglecreekgolfclub.net/) - affordable, fun design, interesting concept with 2 practice holes in addition to the range.

Hunters Glen (Crivitz - http://crivitz.com/golfhuntersglen/) - I'm biased because we have a cabin in the area, but it's definitely the best course within 30 minutes of Crivitz. The front 9 reminds me a lot of the original 9 at Thornberry.

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

• 1 month later...

10) Brown Deer
9) St Germain GC
8) Hawks Landing (Madison)
7) New Richmond GC
6) Blackwolf Run - Meadow/Valley
5) Whistling Straits - Irish
4) The Bull
3) Wild Rock
2) Blackwolf Run - River
1) Whistling Straits - Straits

Shamefully I've never played in Lawsonia, Sentryworld, U-Ridge or many others. I have alot to check off this list this summer.

[quote name='WiShanks' timestamp='1397523160' post='9092339']

- [b]Mascountin GC[/b]
- Turtleback
- Green Bay CC
- Uni Ridge
[/quote]

Good to see some love given to "The Scoot"! Play there a lot when I'm in Green Lake. Love the Blue 9, amazing layout. White and Red are nice too, but Blue is definitely the best of the 3.