Edwin Watts takes a "shot" at GolfWRX

I know that's not what we do here and I don't ever think I've heard anybody here state that this is coming to production. On the contrary, I think the most asked question here is,

"Are they going to bring this to production?"

For what it's worth, EW has probably the worse consumer website I've seen and I can't really stand navigating through it.

Keep up the good work guys. GolfWRX is the bomb!

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EW like many golf outlets is experiencing lackadaisical sales. Therefore, they need to put out comments like these. It's really unnecessary. Instead of trying to figure out how to be better, it's easier for them to criticize those that are dominating their market. I found golfwrx by accident and there is more information here than any other golf site I've visited. There is also less sniping and less *cough cough* editing of information by the marshalls when proven wrong.

Furthermore, the vast majority of items for sale in the BST forum are better than anything you can find in any store. Where else can I find a Cobra S91 Pro S series 8.5* driver with a Lime Green Matrix shafts with all specs listed? Exactly.

I would not worry too much. I doubt I'll see anyone from EW or Golfsmith or any big box store showing up at a PGA event and getting pics and information like here. By the time they figure this out, Golfwrx and other sites like it will still be two steps ahead.

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

[quote name='easyyy' post='1967536' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:39 AM']Edwin Watts is a retailer. Their WITB is inaccurate. Here is Tiger WITB... [url="http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/wattsinthebag/34.html"]http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/wattsinthebag/34.html[/url] I see 4 errors there. [b]"Dont Believe Everything You Read" [/b] LOL :rolleyes:

As for the some of the data on sites being misleading? They could be right. There are a tone of sites like our but much smaller. They could have misleading information about these "prototypes". Doesnt look like they called GolfWRX out specifically here.

We have very close relationships with EVERY manufacturer out there. Our info is dead on accurate. Sure from time to time there is a technical mistake but it is very rare.

The fact that we post development prototypes and variants to the retail models doesnt make us "misleading". We have broadcast and published the work behind the scenes for the "Core" golfer to engage in. We are here for the member and to enhance the game we love.

Dont believe everything you read.[/quote]

Excellent response! I'd be shocked if club manufactures were 'upset' because we the consumer were discussing their products. I also think the majority of WRXers are well educated and well informed when it comes to equipment. That's one of the major reasons we come to this site. I don't know what I would do without this site. Please keep up the excellent work here.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. To me, this is acknowledging your opponents power instead of touting your own strengths and abilities. EW does have a horrible site, and the few times I have dealt with them, their service has not been anything special. Maybe upper management reviewed a SWOT analysis and decided GOLFWRX is becoming a major threat! Nice Work! Time to keep the retailers on their toes. Any reputable retailer loves to have educated consumers.

I'm still trying to figure out how this was a shot at GolfWRX.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='smith5606' post='1969171' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:39 AM'][quote name='stage1350' post='1968783' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:36 PM']I'm still trying to figure out how this was a shot at GolfWRX.[/quote]
Paranoia turns a runny nose into a flash flood, methinks.
[/quote]

Overestimation of threat is fairly common to OCD.

GolfWrx is a a great website. a great tool. A tool for serious golfers to understand the game from another aspect. The Equipment side. I read in someone posts below this that the "EW's of the world should be scared." Well this is partially true, I am a Professionals- professional. I build clubs, Fit swings, and instruct all winter long in a small shop. then play the mini tours in the summer. All to support my doughter and live my dream. When I started in the shop, a local golf store was not enthused to what i am able to offer, what they couldnt. Merely putting a small dent in there sales.
Listen as we educate our selves in this game, We better our selves at it. Which is what we all want. We drool over the newest equipment that the big guys are using. In Hopes that we'll learn something to further our game. That is why we play, we study, we hope.

Driver-TM Tour TP RBZ with GD Tour Ad sh
3Metal- TM Tour RBZ with matrix shaft
TM #3 Hybrid- Burner
Adams 4-GW CMB irons with Matrix shafts
TM ATV wedges- 54 and 60
TM spider with Super stroke slim

[quote name='MJBGOLFPRO' post='1969359' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:23 AM']GolfWrx is a a great website. a great tool. A tool for serious golfers to understand the game from another aspect. The Equipment side. I read in someone posts below this that the "EW's of the world should be scared." Well this is partially true, I am a Professionals- professional. I build clubs, Fit swings, and instruct all winter long in a small shop. then play the mini tours in the summer. All to support my doughter and live my dream. When I started in the shop, a local golf store was not enthused to what i am able to offer, what they couldnt. Merely putting a small dent in there sales.
Listen as we educate our selves in this game, We better our selves at it. Which is what we all want. We drool over the newest equipment that the big guys are using. In Hopes that we'll learn something to further our game. That is why we play, we study, we hope.[/quote]

Well said!!! :clapping:

I work at a golf retailer and yes we do cater to the "average golfer", we don't have in stock the latest ozik or fuji shafts, however we do custom fit every set we sell. We carry most OEM fitting carts for sets and drivers. I think this website is very useful to not only the hardcore golfer but the once a month one as well.

[quote name='lebanontngolfer' post='1967670' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:47 AM']Want to know how I found out about GolfWRX??? ;) The fellows at my local Edwin Watts pulled it up one day to show me the new clubs that were coming out; only GolfWRX had pics of them. :D

Unfortunately for them, I haven't been back since. I buy all my sticks from the BST or WRX Sponsors. :beach:[/quote]

High five brother...

RC 105 V 9.5 w/ Accra CS1 370
Mizuno MP-650 w/ Diamana B80x
Tourstage X-UT w/ Thump + +
Fourteen 610 TS 3i w/ Nippon 130
Mizuno MP-4 4-pw w/ Nippon 130
Scratch D/S 56, 60 w/ Nippon 125
Byron Design DH-89 "Southpaw"

I´m playing over 30 years golf and i know 95% of your score is your swing and about 5 % is your equipment. But in competitive golf, this 5% makes often the difference between win or loose.

In my surroundings are no qualtiy retailers or serious clubmakers. "Independant" tests are often bisaed.

The only resource, where I can find independant infos for my game is GolfWRX, an international community of golf ho´s.
Before buying new equipment, I test outdoors and read the reports in GolfWRX.

[quote name='easyyy' post='1967536' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:39 AM']Edwin Watts is a retailer. Their WITB is inaccurate. Here is Tiger WITB... [url="http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/wattsinthebag/34.html"]http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/wattsinthebag/34.html[/url] I see 4 errors there. [b]"Dont Believe Everything You Read" [/b] LOL :rolleyes:

As for the some of the data on sites being misleading? They could be right. There are a ton of sites like ours but much smaller. They could have misleading information about these "prototypes". Doesn't look like they called GolfWRX out specifically here.

We have very close relationships with EVERY manufacturer out there. Our info is dead on accurate. Sure from time to time there is a technical mistake but it is very rare.

The fact that we post development prototypes and variants to the retail models doesn't make us "misleading". We have broadcast and published the work behind the scenes for the "Core" golfer to engage in. We are here for the members and to enhance the game we love.

Don't believe everything you read.[/quote]
I agree 100%; the community should actually be proud that our voices are being heard. Somebody is listening to our feedback and taking it personally, good thing as we tend to be a very knowing (albeit a bit intense!) about our game...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I'm new here and went in to my local EW about three weeks ago and was asking when were the new R9 irons going to be out because I had seen some pics and the TP version looked pretty sweet, the salesman that always helps me was like damn; we just got to see and hit them last week, where did you see them already. Told him they had pics of them on a message board called Golfwrx that I just joined and he told me that a good site with a lot of great info on it.

[quote name='chippen' post='1967527' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:33 AM']That made me giggle. I have never assumed that what I see in the bags of tour players will be made availible to the public, only dream. Hopefully only a handful of WRX'rs think the way EW stated. The difference from this site and looking at the EW site, you see actual pictures of what's on the course from a multitude of players, not a generic OEM lineup list for 'Watts in the bag' for one player.

EW is just envious that this site can post pictures of what the big boys are playing.[/quote]

+1 on that.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I'm just sick of seeing people say that most prototypes will never make it to the market. There are far fewer true tour only prototypes than those that reach store shelves... in some capacity. Generally, most clubs on the racks in local stores started out as prototypes in one form or another.

But I don't think this is a jab at GWRX either...

[quote name='Imperium' post='1968728' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:43 AM']Desperate times call for desperate measures. To me, this is acknowledging your opponents power instead of touting your own strengths and abilities. EW does have a horrible site, and the few times I have dealt with them, their service has not been anything special. Maybe upper management reviewed a SWOT analysis and decided GOLFWRX is becoming a major threat! Nice Work! Time to keep the retailers on their toes. Any reputable retailer loves to have educated consumers.[/quote]

Edwin Watts Golf's website/online sales is in the doldrums because [b][u]a.[/u][/b] they hardly have any of the old and knowledgable sales personnel around - they have apparently fired half a dozen guys recently and most of their current sales personnel are on 40 (forty) hours a week;[b][u] b.[/u][/b] their website is the pits - full of errors of in stock and in store avilability; [b][u]c.[/u][/b] Mr. Edwin Watts no more owns the company and is now owned by Sun Capital who I guess do not understand the golf business and are trying everything possible to take this company to the grave.

Since they have [b][u]lack of business[/u][/b] they have nothing better to do than to shoot of such e-mails just to keep themselves busy.

Not only Edwin Watts Golf but [b]probably most retailers are worried about GOLFWRX[/b] - but the difference is others are trying to get their act in order in a subtle way whereas Edwin Watts Golf is making a public spectical of themselves by expressing their fear over GOLFWRX.

I won't be surprised if the next thing they do is to approach the golf manufacturers and insist on them to ensure that WITB/Spy Pictures and new product features do not appear/get pulled down from GOLFWRX.

Anyway they are [b][u]not as big a retailer anymore[/u][/b] - places such as Dick's Sporting Goods, Golf Galaxy, etc. have surged ahead of Edwin Watts Golf. Instead of being focussed on what competing retailers/online resellers are upto, they seem to be more concerned about GOLFWRX.

Kudos to GOLFWRX - consumer stands to gain finally.

[quote name='easyyy' post='1969538' date='Sep 24 2009, 12:06 PM'][quote name='MJBGOLFPRO' post='1969359' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:23 AM']GolfWrx is a a great website. a great tool. A tool for serious golfers to understand the game from another aspect. The Equipment side. I read in someone posts below this that the "EW's of the world should be scared." Well this is partially true, I am a Professionals- professional. I build clubs, Fit swings, and instruct all winter long in a small shop. then play the mini tours in the summer. All to support my doughter and live my dream. When I started in the shop, a local golf store was not enthused to what i am able to offer, what they couldnt. Merely putting a small dent in there sales.
Listen as we educate our selves in this game, We better our selves at it. Which is what we all want. We drool over the newest equipment that the big guys are using. In Hopes that we'll learn something to further our game. That is why we play, we study, we hope.[/quote]

Well said!!! :clapping:
[/quote]

I second that as well. Nicely put MJB! :clapping::clapping:

[quote name='liveagua' post='1967515' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:28 AM']Not really taking a shot, just posting what their feelings are.

They don't want the world of golf to go to a "custom" world. If it did, they would be eliminated from the process.

Club Manufacturers know that any publicity is good publicity. They don't care if it is right or wrong.

The masses are starting to get educated about golf clubs and the "Big Box" stores are fearful that they will be found to be as incompetent as we already know they are.

Ignore all of this from EW...they are all very afraid.[/quote]

100% agree. Especially the Edwin Watts here in our city.

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

Well, personally, I love this website. I can and have asked dozens of equipment and repair questions and ALWAYS get a very thought out helpful response. The people here are very smart about their stuff.

We are also fanatics. I know it, you know it...hell the fact that I know tip diams of Taylor Made Tour Preferred irons from 1990 is not a good thing. We as a group know more about shafts, club heads, offset, trampoline effect, putter loft and grips than most people should EVER know.

And, I look at the Whats in the bag and the tourney pics EVERY time one comes out. My wife has an understanding that when they come out she loses me for an hour. Not because I am looking for something new to buy, well maybe, but it is interesting to me what the pros have in their bag, the beautiful courses, and it is just damn cool!!!

Not to mention almost everything in my bag came from this website. EW and GS and GG are spinning out of control right now, because we used to be the core of their buisness. I know. I worked at a Nevada Bob's back in the day.

I am grateful for this website and the people here!!!

Now, quickly, help me pick out a new driver before my finds out about my overtime check!!!!!

[quote name='easyyy' post='1967536' date='Sep 23 2009, 08:39 AM']Edwin Watts is a retailer. Their WITB is inaccurate. Here is Tiger WITB... [url="http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/wattsinthebag/34.html"]http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/wattsinthebag/34.html[/url] I see 4 errors there. [b]"Dont Believe Everything You Read" [/b] LOL :rolleyes:

As for the some of the data on sites being misleading? They could be right. There are a ton of sites like ours but much smaller. They could have misleading information about these "prototypes". Doesn't look like they called GolfWRX out specifically here.

The fact that we post development prototypes and variants to the retail models doesn't make us "misleading". We have broadcast and published the work behind the scenes for the "Core" golfer to engage in. We are here for the members and to enhance the game we love.

Don't believe everything you read.[/quote]

exactly. All these retailers that make it seem like a big deal that they're selling pro v1's for ONLY $45.99