2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Do-It-Yourself Putter Refinishing

amajeski

Pics and tips on how I got it done
I'm a sucker for the feel of an unplated carbon steel putter and there is nothing I enjoy more than picking up an old beater Cameron for a nice price. I just recently relocated to Wisconsin for the summer and was lucky enough to pick up 3 fantastic putters at a local golf shop, for a little more than a song. Two of them were models I've always wanted and the last was too good to pass up. The only problem... the finishes on them were pretty much shot and they were all lightly rusting in spots... but I took care of that in a hurry and you can do it too.

NOTE - This ONLY works on unplated carbon steel. Anything plated or stainless will NOT work.

Things you wll need:
1. 2 Liter of Coke or Naval Jelly - This removes the remainder of the old finish and the rust. You need to start with a clean and smooth bare metal surface.
2. A butane microtorch - This is needed to heat the putter in the finish application
3. Birchwood Casey Plum Brown Barrel Finish - Gives a chocolate color
-you can also use Birchwood Casey Gun Blue or Super Blue - These give a flat blue/black color and don't require heating of the metal

What you need to do:
1. Soak the putter in coke for an hour or so, then rinse and scrub down to be sure the old finish is removed.
2. Heat the putter with the torch. The plum brown requires the putter to be hot enough to make water sizzle (about 275*) and it will take aobut 10 minutes to get the putter there. Do not apply heat directly to the shaft attachment - let the metal conduct heat there. Otherwise, you will break the epoxy bond and have to add reinstalling the shaft to the "to do" list.
3. Apply the Plum Brown finish with a rag or paper towell.
4. Let the putter cool for 5-10 minutes and rinse with water.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until the finish is as even and dark as you would like.
6. Apply a coat of baby oil - It protects the putter from rust and removes the chalky look that the putter will have immediately after applying the finish.

The results:

A20FEB48-8A47-4276-8E38-2BC5F6706FD7.jpeg.0122e486303e5b5396e3cf4a871df4bf.jpeg

62A95A03-0E37-4471-84B4-B32C36954347.jpeg.05bc49f0c7e24e6736f724d4d88e15b1.jpeg

Can't argue with professional results and a price that's nice :vava:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used that Brown finish before alittle over a year ago. Its just as easy to buy the Blue Off and just use that to strip it.

I just did a putter the other day. I couldnt get it hot enough because I dont want to repaint the head. It came out OK. Has a worn look on it.

I do like the Brown look.

Anybody know what paint Scotty Uses? Just apply and wipe. Would like to repaint a few putters.

Cheers,

Erich

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

Nice job! :vava:  I've read a lot about doing this, but I never heard about heating up the putter.  Looks great and the finish looks like it will hold up pretty well.

14692[/snapback]

It depends on the type of finsh you buy... The gun blue/super blue finish is just a wipe on with no heat. The plum brown however, required the head to be heated first. (This is all from the directions on the containers)

Also, I did have to repaint the white text on the putters because the finish discolored it a bit. I used Testors enamel model paint and it couldn't have been easier. I dabbed it in the lettering with a Q-Tip and let it completely dry. Then I took a paper towell dipped in a little thinner and wiped over the surface to remove the paint that spilled outside the stamping.

• 1 year later...

Absolutely nothing. That putter is stainles steel...it is not a porous enough metal to absorb the gun blueing. In order to get a black finish on the putter you would have to use an electrically charged finishing process that guys like slighter and colbert use. You can heat your putter, dip it in the birchwood casey, pull it out and it wont look any different. You have to use a putter that is comprised of more carbon than stainless steel is in order for the metal to be porous enough to allow the blueing agent to absorb and bond.

• 10 months later...

I figured I'd bump this old thread back up to the top since the OP Amajeski might be interested in what happened to his putter. I also figured it would be interesting to follow a putter through three owners.

Amajeski sold his JAT to pmhacker/Russ...who happens to be a friend of mines. Russ putted with it but decided to stick to his Del Mar 3.5. Since he had it sitting around, he decided to strip the Plum Brown finish and take it to our friend Carl to gun blue it. Now anyone can do gun blue but Russ and I both agree, the way Carl does it is a whole lot better then how we do it. I guess Carls a ton more meticulous and anal then we are. ;)

After Russ had it gun blued it, he had it sitting around when another one of our friends Ernie/deptwo was looking for a putter. Ernie bought Russ's putter and after using it a few times, it quickly became his "gamer". While playing a round with Ernie the other week, I suggested he give it to me for some "freshining" and paintfill. He agreed that the white T line would probably help and decided to leave the rest up to me.

I took his JAT home, used a bit of 0000 steel wool and gun blue to freshen up the sole and a few other wear areas. I decided to keep the paintfill simple as I always thought the yellow was a bit too much on my JAT.

Here's the finish product, freshened, paint filled, and oiled down.

YO Amajeski...you missing this putter yet??? :friends:

ErniJAT001.jpg

ErniJAT002.jpg

ErniJAT008.jpg

I figured I'd bump this old thread back up to the top since the OP Amajeski might be interested in what happened to his putter. I also figured it would be interesting to follow a putter through three owners.

Amajeski sold his JAT to pmhacker/Russ...who happens to be a friend of mines. Russ putted with it but decided to stick to his Del Mar 3.5. Since he had it sitting around, he decided to strip the Plum Brown finish and take it to our friend Carl to gun blue it. Now anyone can do gun blue but Russ and I both agree, the way Carl does it is a whole lot better then how we do it. I guess Carls a ton more meticulous and anal then we are. :)

After Russ had it gun blued it, he had it sitting around when another one of our friends Ernie/deptwo was looking for a putter. Ernie bought Russ's putter and after using it a few times, it quickly became his "gamer". While playing a round with Ernie the other week, I suggested he give it to me for some "freshining" and paintfill. He agreed that the white T line would probably help and decided to leave the rest up to me.

I took his JAT home, used a bit of 0000 steel wool and gun blue to freshen up the sole and a few other wear areas. I decided to keep the paintfill simple as I always thought the yellow was a bit too much on my JAT.

Here's the finish product, freshened, paint filled, and oiled down.

YO Amajeski...you missing this putter yet??? :)

ErniJAT001.jpg

ErniJAT002.jpg

ErniJAT008.jpg

Hey Reid-)....Very nice job on the paintfill and touch-up. ;) If Amajeski isn't missing it...I can honestly say that I sure do :friends:

OK, we need some more details here. Where did you get the gun blue, and the plum brown stuff. I went to their web site and they sold in gallon size for $112. How about some more details?

Awesome job. One last question, the Birchwood Casey site mentioned rust inhibitors. Why wouldn't you put something like that over the gun blue to prevent wear and extend the life of the finish? They use this on hand tools so I would think it would work on a putter.

Thanks,

Andy

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

The JAT I did above was done with BC Super Blue liquid. The process was done in several coatings in between rubbing it with 0000 steel wool and then reapplying the Super Blue.

After paintfill was completed, the whole putter was sprayed with Corrosion Block. It's the only protectant I use on any of my oil can, blue and raw equipment.

Here's a link to Corrosion Block post I made ages ago. Corrosion Block

I've been using this product on all my stuff since I made that post with no ill effects on any of the equipment I've done.

:) I'm glad to see that the 'ole JAT is still alive and kicking in one form or another. When I had it, it was the smoking hot but intellectually challenged blond girl friend of my putter collection... it looked great at home but when I brought it out around friends I always ended up leaving broke and embarrassed. And seeing as the old girl has worked her way through three more guys it appears the reputation continues :clapping: :clapping: :)

Great work on the make-over by the way :russian_roulette:

what was used for paint fill, what was the process?

I used Testors paint in a pen form. I think the paint is much easier to use in the pen then brush. It also goes on more evenly. I did it in section and colors. After I let the paint dry for about five minutes, I used a paper towel with a little Goop Off to clean it up. You want to wipe the excess off in one stroke not pushing too hard into the paintfill cavities. All it takes is patience.

:) I'm glad to see that the 'ole JAT is still alive and kicking in one form or another. When I had it, it was the smoking hot but intellectually challenged blond girl friend of my putter collection... it looked great at home but when I brought it out around friends I always ended up leaving broke and embarrassed. And seeing as the old girl has worked her way through three more guys it appears the reputation continues :clapping: :clapping: :)

Great work on the make-over by the way :russian_roulette:

Adam, I figured you'd appreciate seeing what happened to your putter. I know I always wonder what happened to my old ones. ;)

I tried to remove the finish this weekend on my Never Compromise Milled Series putter without any luck.

I tried using steel wool (polished it up nicely) with Birchwood-Casey Super-Blue remover, Buffing/abrasive compound (took the finish off but shined it also like a mirror in one section) I nicked the bottom with the grinding wheel to see if the entire metal was black but it showed me it was silver toned.

I'm not sure if I should just buff off the finish and then lightly sand or sand blast the putter to have some sort of grip for the finish to bond to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Ty for the info on the paint fill.

I attempted to redo my CIRCA 62 #3.

while it looks 100% better the Birchwood Casey Perma Blue didn't come out as nice as I had hoped.

I think I will try it again later, I had a hard time cleaning the putter between coats. The blue was rusting fast.

Also I didn't pre-heat the putter as the directions for applying the Perma Blue didn't mention to do so.

Bogey_pro

im pretty sure thath the NC milled are not carbon but some kind of treated stainless or other metal. I dont think its Black oxide but i could be wrong. i dont ever remeber seeing a NC putter rust. It may be a shinny tempered finish but i have only seen a couple of those putters in the shop and i didnt spend any time with clevelands flagship :aggressive:

I tried to remove the finish this weekend on my Never Compromise Milled Series putter without any luck.

I tried using steel wool (polished it up nicely) with Birchwood-Casey Super-Blue remover, Buffing/abrasive compound (took the finish off but shined it also like a mirror in one section) I nicked the bottom with the grinding wheel to see if the entire metal was black but it showed me it was silver toned.

I'm not sure if I should just buff off the finish and then lightly sand or sand blast the putter to have some sort of grip for the finish to bond to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

I managed to sand off the finish on the bottom of my Never Compromise last night and the grey matter in the center was very close if not the same material as what is below the black portion of the putter. I'll have to post some photos tomorrow of my work.

I went over to Lowe's today at lunch to pick up a sanding drum for my drill to complete the job.

EDIT

I posted some of the progress that I managed to get in tonight.

It starting to look good as the finish is coming off nicely with the 80 grit drum sander.