I'm sick and tired of this

mst_coastie

Coming over the top that is... I have been working for the past four months on stopping this and getting the feel for the inside path and not getting stuck... I have had 10 lessons with two different PGA Pros... tried every drill in the book... Nothing works, I can get the feel for it with the pro for a min and then lose it... I am so sick and tired of this... I can't play the game I love because of it, I can bandaid my swing and still shoot in the 80's but...

I mean I spend at least 20 hours a week practicing and I just can't get it...

This is getting to be a emotional burden... its hard to keep pressing on when seemingly nothing can fix it... Just don't know where to go from here

Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC 10.5* w/ [color=#545454][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1]Project X [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]HZRDUS T800 [/b][/size][/font][/color]
3 Wood: Ping G30 14.5* w/ TFC 419F Stiff
5 Wood: Ping G30 18* w/ TFC 419F Stiff
3-PW: Nike Vapor Pro w/ X-100 AMT
Wedges: 54/58* Callaway Mack Daddy Forged w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S-200
Putter: Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counterbalance
Bag: 2017 Ping Hoofer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody ever worked with you on your takeaway being too inside? Most over the top moves are created because the takeaway is too far to the inside and there is nowhere to go but over the top.

The problem is, hardly anyone ever addresses this and just addresses the downswing ,,,that gets you stuck and out of sync.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Oh yeah... we've addressed that... I started from the ground up... with address, posture, take away, downswing the whole shebang... Everything else is fundamentally right, I just can't stop coming over the top.... I mean I can hit it straight with coming over the top, but only 50% of the time, which is not what you need... needs to be more like 98-99% of the time.

Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC 10.5* w/ [color=#545454][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1]Project X [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]HZRDUS T800 [/b][/size][/font][/color]

My next thought is a release issue but hard to draw too many conclusions without seeing the swing... any chance you could post a video?... In the meantime, watch this video and it might hlpe you with understanding what "not over the top" feels like.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FH5r5_tROU"]LINK[/url]

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Never saw anybody, with a reasonable backswing who has a lot of lateral hip slide in the downswing, come over the top. It's really hard to hit the front side of the swing arc if it's moving forward effectively.

Swing to the top and pause (weight balanced 50/50 just so the SnT bashers don't freak out). From here slowly move your left hip and FLEXED left knee toward the target as far as you physically can while keeping your head relatively still. You just can't get over the top if this a part of your action.

The problem is I have the right amount hip side and rotation... I get stuck... my right arm basically gets clamped on my torso, and the only move it can do is over the top.

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get my pro to send me a copy of the video he took... I know it sounds a bit off... haha

Agree about the need for a video.Most times in my experience,people who describe their swing don't do it accurately because feel is not the same as real.

Would you ever pay for a lesson without demonstrating your swing and just getting instruction over the phone based on your description of the fault?Guess work at best.

[quote name='mst_coastie' date='18 January 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1263863713' post='2189922']
The problem is I have the right amount hip side and rotation... I get stuck... my right arm basically gets clamped on my torso, and the only move it can do is over the top.
[/quote]

Like has been mentioned, this is basically impossible. Inward handpath and the hips sliding on the downswing leaves over the top basically impossible.

its my club getting outside, because my right elbow is basically getting stuck and my arms/ torso are rotating together causing and outside in path... maybe calling it over the top is wrong... cause I am on plane till about halfway down then it goes over plane and I strike at the ball outside in causing cut spin ala fade or slice

As others have said, it's a shot in the dark without seeing a video, but here's a simple set up to try at the range in the meantime that may help you get the right image of your swing in your mind:

Using a 7 or 8 iron, set up in a normal, but slightly more narrow stance than usual for you. Don't worry about a target right now, this is all about ball flight. Pull your right (back) foot back from the line until your right toes are in line with your left heel, then turn your right foot clockwise to a 45° angle. Take some normal swings and adjust the ball position back in your stance a little at a time until you're making good contact. You should feel (and see) a difference immediately. Be aware of what you feel with your hip and shoulder positions at impact of good shots.

Move your right foot slowly, step-by-step, back to a more normal position after hitting a dozen good shots, keeping the same feeling in your shoulders and hips.

aslan thats what it is starting to feel like, I just hope it is not true as I really want to play this came at a much better level than I do now...

This is going to sound weird, but do you have broad shoulders? I have the shoulders of a middle line backer and can get a bit over the top or stuck at times. One of the things that I've found that helps is to have a narrower stance. I turn more freely and move better when my feet are not shoulder width. But, this is just my two cents, video would help.

[quote name='mst_coastie' date='18 January 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1263867839' post='2190084']
aslan thats what it is starting to feel like, I just hope it is not true as I really want to play this came at a much better level than I do now...
[/quote]

Hang in there. Some would kill for that 11 handicap. I guess it is all relative. No matter, where we are - we want lower.

This is going to sound weird, but do you have broad shoulders? I have the shoulders of a middle line backer and can get a bit over the top or stuck at times. One of the things that I've found that helps is to have a narrower stance. I turn more freely and move better when my feet are not shoulder width. But, this is just my two cents, video would help.

The above fits me to a tee. One thing my pro had me do was concentrate on using the left arm to control the swing. If I get lazy and let the right arm come into play, I either come down correctly and hit it about 2" fat or come over the top with a nasty hook (irons) or impossible slice (Driver). The hook and slice can get so bad that one time I played from across two fairways to get back to mine.black%20eye.gif Got a bogey though.:rolleyes: Anyway...concentrating on using the left arm to take away and down swing works for me.

I think I know what you're talking about
If your elbow is getting stuck to your torso, maybe your losing your spine angle on the downswing?
Imagine when you're hitting the ball that you're going down on the ball, like a motion you would make when picking something up on the ground. Remember to time your arm swing with your hip release while doing so

After reading the thread, it sounds like the release is a big part of the problem. Watch that video and use that drill of swinging at waist level. It will help.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Yeah that video explained it well... seems to make sense, I am going to try it tomorrow at the range and see.

We are all just guessing in the dark without a video. We should all just hang off on this til he posts one.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

mst_coastie

As the other poster said, we are just taking shots in the dark from you explanation.

However, that video and that drill are great for any purpose...it's nothing more than a feel thing and won't hurt you no matter what problem you have.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Yeah, I hear everyone on the video, I'll get one up as soon as I can... till then taken with a grain of sand, but I do appreciate the support.

Try setting up with feet ,hips and shoulders square to one another but considerably open to your target line .Aim your club square to the target line .The backswing should be parallel to your feet,but your downswing should be towards your target line and way inside your backswing.Similiar to the great Lee Trevino

Initiate the downswing with a slight bump of the waist ... helped me.

I was a big over the top swinger just recently in the past year. 1 lesson and some guidance by the good people of Golfwrx helped me whip it.

Whatever you do, don't give up. I'm sure this is one of the most common swing faults in golf today, and when I learned to hit straight/slightly from the inside, I gained distance, accuracy, and also from that, confidence. You can do it, don't give up.

All valid points... As far as making it work... I just don't want to play around with a "broken" swing... Limits my potential... But I will keep on trucking.

[quote name='russc' date='19 January 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1263937313' post='2191574']
Try setting up with feet ,hips and shoulders square to one another but considerably open to your target line .Aim your club square to the target line .The backswing should be parallel to your feet,but your downswing should be towards your target line and way inside your backswing.Similiar to the great Lee Trevino
[/quote]

Although, I am a Lee fan. Wouldn't this lead for a slice? Do you have to
hold on to it or something during impact?