Ogio Grom 2009 vs 2010

whats the difference??
Anyone have any ideas on what the difference is between the two years in the Grom bags. Found a great deal on the 2009 and just wondered what its missing that the 2010 has.

While your reading this....anyone have any reccomendations on a bag that has a good built in cooler. I often will take a few beers with me and was hoping to find a bag that i could keep ice in and not have it leak everywhere.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2010 Grom has a new base with wider feet and it has an all new plunger mechanism to deploy the legs. The new system uses a wider paddle, in years past the plunger was pretty small, which caused the legs to be tough to deploy at times. Other than that, the bags are pretty much the same. Pretty major upgrade on the 2010's though. I just got a 2010 and saw the deals on the 2009's but after I knew the difference I was going for the new one.

I would say that one significant difference between the 2009 and the 2010....the 2009 weighs 3 lbs less than the 2010! The 2010 is a good cross between a cart bag and a carry bag. I have just spent a couple of hours a PGA Superstore studying the 2010. Almost bought one but the weight difference between it and my current carry bag (SM 3.5) was enough to make me hold off.

Thanks guys!! i mainly ride but want to get a carry bag for the few times i do walk. I'll probably go with the 2009 as the difference in price is too much to pass up. Already buying a ping g15 driver and 4wd so if i can cut back in other areas such as the bag i'll do that.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote]I would say that one significant difference between the 2009 and the 2010....the 2009 weighs 3 lbs less than the 2010[/quote]

I don't think this is true. I had a 2009 Edge last year that weighed 6.5 lbs and the 2010 Grom is a lot lighter than that bag. Some websites have the Grom weight listed a lot heavier than it is so there must have been some bad info put out by Ogio at some point.

I just looked at these bags this afternoon. The feet is the only real difference that I found. The 2009 was a lot less easy to open and stand than the 2010. I felt like I had to push down on the bag at least 1 time after I initially set it down to make sure the feet were out all the way. I really wanted to like the Grom but was amazed at how heavy it was. The sales guy and myself both picked it up and compared it to many stand and cart bags and it felt much heavier. We even grabbed another one thinking somone might have put something in it. I went up to the counter 2 times with another bag and went back and grabbed the grom as I thought that I was thinking it is heavier than it is but to no avail. I liked the weight of the Ozone better but the legs and stand mechanism did not seem very well designed kind of like the 2009 Grom. I swear I tried to talk myself into it and walked in the door to buy one but just couldnt find any reason to pick it above the SunMountain and I went in thinking I really dont like SunMountain.

[quote name='generalpatton' date='28 February 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1267409572' post='2284382']
[quote]I would say that one significant difference between the 2009 and the 2010....the 2009 weighs 3 lbs less than the 2010[/quote]

I don't think this is true. I had a 2009 Edge last year that weighed 6.5 lbs and the 2010 Grom is a lot lighter than that bag. Some websites have the Grom weight listed a lot heavier than it is so there must have been some bad info put out by Ogio at some point.
[/quote]

I was like the previous poster...I went to the PGA Superstore wanting to purchase the 2010 Grom. It is a great bag. I love the features. I think that it is extremely well designed. However, the bag is significantly heavier than it's major competitors. I spent two hours going back and forth...I would lift the Grom, I would go to the SM 4.5 and lift, I would lift the Grom, I would go to the Ping C1 or Ping Latitude and lift....the Grom is significantly heavier than these bags. I may still purchase the Grom because I feel that the features and the construction of this bag are better than those of the Ping bags and the SM bags. But lifting is believing...the Grom is heavier.

It's a bit over a pound above the 4.5. I own the '10 Grom Hyrbid and felt it against the others in my local shop and while I didn't find the weight difference significant enough to rule it out it is a tad bit heavier. The features, looks, and most importantly the design of the bag won me over immediately. The bag's features are located in the right spots for how I like to play and as a walker that is more important than a pound of weight.

[quote]I would lift the Grom, I would go to the SM 4.5 and lift, I would lift the Grom, I would go to the Ping C1 or Ping Latitude and lift....the Grom is significantly heavier than these bags. I may still purchase the Grom because I feel that the features and the construction of this bag are better than those of the Ping bags and the SM bags. But lifting is believing...the Grom is heavier.
[/quote]

The Grom is heavier than all those bags you listed, yes. It's apples and oranges though as the bags you listed are purely carry bags and the Grom is more of a hybrid. The Ozone or Vaporlite would be better comparisons to the bags above. My point wasn't that I didn't think the Grom was heavier, it's that I didn't think it was 3 lbs. heavier than the 2009 version. If that were true that would put the weight somewhere around 8.5 lbs. and I know that's just not the case.

[quote name='generalpatton' date='01 March 2010 - 07:23 AM' timestamp='1267446221' post='2285046']
[quote]I would lift the Grom, I would go to the SM 4.5 and lift, I would lift the Grom, I would go to the Ping C1 or Ping Latitude and lift....the Grom is significantly heavier than these bags. I may still purchase the Grom because I feel that the features and the construction of this bag are better than those of the Ping bags and the SM bags. But lifting is believing...the Grom is heavier.
[/quote]

The Grom is heavier than all those bags you listed, yes. It's apples and oranges though as the bags you listed are purely carry bags and the Grom is more of a hybrid. The Ozone or Vaporlite would be better comparisons to the bags above. My point wasn't that I didn't think the Grom was heavier, it's that I didn't think it was 3 lbs. heavier than the 2009 version. If that were true that would put the weight somewhere around 8.5 lbs. and I know that's just not the case.
[/quote]

I would agree with your observation. I guess that was the point of my comments. If you are considering the Grom as your primary carry bag you need to understand that the Grom is a heavier alternative to other bags. As an aside, I was at Edwin Watts yesterday and they had a few of the 09 Groms left in stock. I would agree with the post above, their is not a lot of difference in weight between the 2009 and 2010 Groms. They are both heavier than I would like for a primary carry bag.

BTW, I finally decided to purchase an 09 Titleist (black, grey, red) lightweight standbag (SM 3.5 version) for $99 (same deal as TGW.com). I really liked the Grom's features but in the end weight was the deciding factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I too was amazed at the weight of this bag when looking at it in a local shop... so much so that I looked for the weight online when I got home. Nothing on ogio's site, but tgw lists it at 8.8 lbs (not sure how accurate, but felt about right). too bad, cuz it seems to have great features. what the heck were they thinking???

[quote name='hateoven' date='14 March 2010 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1268611754' post='2315822']
I can understand senior golfers complaining about the weight but guys, really? If 1-3 pounds is that big of a deal maybe it's time to hit the gym.
[/quote]

lol... that bag is a tank. go to your local shop and compare it to comparable bags, and you will go "wtf were they thinking???"

[quote name='avgjoe' date='16 March 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1268781603' post='2320981']
[quote name='hateoven' date='14 March 2010 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1268611754' post='2315822']
I can understand senior golfers complaining about the weight but guys, really? If 1-3 pounds is that big of a deal maybe it's time to hit the gym.
[/quote]

lol... that bag is a tank. go to your local shop and compare it to comparable bags, and you will go "wtf were they thinking???"

[/quote]

I should do this....except I did. I found the weight difference minimal and not worth sacrificing the features to obtain. Not to mention the Ogio bags are much more stylish than a lot of the other ones out: I want my golf bag to resemble something better than a gym bag or cheap basketball shoe color scheme.

Mine comes in at a hair under 8lbs on my scale. 2010 model, stealth. Replaced a 2007 Edge and I'm very happy with the upgrade... rolls on a speedcart so I don't mind the few extra lbs over some of the other options that are out there.

D - MyStealth+ 9* - Ventus Black 5X 

3w - Sim 14* - Diamana A'hina 60X

5w - M3 19* - Diamana B70X

4h - M1 21* - Kuro Kage Black 80X

5i-PW - P770-20 - DG 105VSS X100

50/55/60 - RTX Zipcore - DG Spinner

P - 2-ball Protype Black

• 5 months later...

Since someone brought back this old thread, I'll add my 2 cents since I have had both version.
Legs are the major upgrade on 2010 version. The new wider paddle and rubber feet actually allow the bag to stand up more steadily like a cart bag.

I do want to mention some minor upgrades on 2010 version that IMHO are huge improvements.
1. My 09 bag ripped to shreds from carrying in the area between butt pad and pocket. That area is now gone in '10 version. The zippered pocket extends all the way to the edge of butt pad.
2.The funky umbrella tunnel in 09 version was ditched for a more conventional loop and strap. Works much better!
3. the whole bag is now a little wider than 09 version so it sits better on a pull cart.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

[quote name='mister2cool' timestamp='1284133974' post='2689338']
Since someone brought back this old thread, I'll add my 2 cents since I have had both version.
Legs are the major upgrade on 2010 version. The new wider paddle and rubber feet actually allow the bag to stand up more steadily like a cart bag.

I do want to mention some minor upgrades on 2010 version that IMHO are huge improvements.
1. My 09 bag ripped to shreds from carrying in the area between butt pad and pocket. That area is now gone in '10 version. The zippered pocket extends all the way to the edge of butt pad.
2.The funky umbrella tunnel in 09 version was ditched for a more conventional loop and strap. Works much better!
3. the whole bag is now a little wider than 09 version so it sits better on a pull cart.
[/quote]
Completely agree here. The base and legs on the 2010 model are a [u]huge[/u] upgrade. Go to a shop that has both and try using the stand, your decision will be made, even though the 2010 model costs more. I was in the same debate as you a few months ago.

I have the 2010 Grom and it is a terrific hybrid bag, but if you plan on walking the course a lot, I suggest you look for a different bag. It is pretty heavy, since it is designed to be bewteen a carry bag and a cart bag. When I walk, I use a Sun Mountain V1 push cart, so not a problem. But it seems heavier than most stand bags when I carry it to the driving range or the golf cart.

Just went from the ozone to the grom. my ozone came in at about 6.5lbs, my grom came in at 8.4lbs. Walking 9 is fine, 18 is just as bad with the grom as it was with the ozone, just bearable. I have been in carts more often as of late and the grom is an amazing hybrid bag. I might pick up push/pull cart for those days i want to walk 18. If i was only walking, the ozone is perfect, about 50/50 walk and cart. get the grom, the quality and construction is top notch. Just my opinion.

I personally don't really have a problem walking and carrying the Grom. Yes it's not the lightest so it's probably not for everyone. This is my exercise so I really don't mind a few extra pounds. Plus I have all kinds of stuff in the pockets of whatever bag I use, so a couple of extra pounds is really hardly noticed as long as the straps are comfortable.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at the 2010 Grom to replace my 2007/08 Grom. To me it's really a cart bag with legs. I have a Titleist X66 when weight and toting my clubs in and out of the car is an issue. However, I ride 90% of the time and getting from the car to the cart is not a big deal. The BEST feature is the Tourque Strap. I'm suprised that others have not copied that on their stand bags. I also like the Woode top.

All that said the 2011 Titleist Premium bag is a good looker and lighter than the Grom and it has a redsigned bottom to set straight on a cart. Material wise it just feels cheaper then the Grom and it cost more.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1