2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Trying to convince myself to buy lostgolfballs.com

neonsohc

I just got a dozen tour i and a dozen 07-08 pro v1's, both AAAAA mint. I am impressed with the pro v1's as they look almsot brand new. You can tell they were hit a couple times but not much. I did get one 2009 model. However, 7 of them have logos and 2 have sharpie marks. Still, I am happy.

The dozen tour i are a different story. 2 look brand new. 6 have marks like they were played at least 5 holes. 4 of them have scrapes and I can see a tan color underneath. Maybe I set my standards pretty high, but from what people were saying on this thread, I should have high hopes for perfect golf balls.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dubv23' date='01 April 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1270168372' post='2355849']
after reading this it seems like LGB is the way to go mostly if you have your gamer chosen huh? For someone like me it would be difficult to buy in bulk since i havent truly found the right ball for me yet right?

Plus if i understand, you truly benefit if placing an order over 75$ correct?
[/quote]

Correct. I bought 4 dozen '07 ProV1's for $80 total and free shipping. I love that ball.

I think they're also good if you want to try out different balls. Pick up a dozen of each brand/model that you want to try out and see if you've found your "gamer". My first order with LGB's was exactly that. I think I bought a potpourri of 8-10 different brands and tried them all out.

[quote name='Dubv23' date='01 April 2010 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1270168372' post='2355849']
after reading this it seems like LGB is the way to go mostly if you have your gamer chosen huh? For someone like me it would be difficult to buy in bulk since i havent truly found the right ball for me yet right?

[/quote]

[quote name='buttuh' date='01 April 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1270180533' post='2356286']
I think they're also good if you want to try out different balls. Pick up a dozen of each brand/model that you want to try out and see if you've found your "gamer". My first order with LGB's was exactly that. I think I bought a potpourri of 8-10 different brands and tried them all out.

[quote name='Dubv23' date='01 April 2010 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1270168372' post='2355849']

[/quote]
[/quote]

I thought of doing that but my concern is what do I do with all the leftover balls once I fond the one I'm content on playing. I'm sire I'll be stuck with a bunch of balls that either don't fit my game or I just don't like. I guess I could throw them putsde for my hitting net but I've already got leftover top flights for that.

[quote name='Shadrach' date='26 March 2010 - 07:12 AM' timestamp='1269605524' post='2341835']
This thread persuaded me to give a sympathetic look to the LGB site. The prices are sure attractive.

But they advertise that they scour the waterways of the world's courses. I seem to recall reading somewhere that balls that have sat in the water for a certain length of time - possibly all winter? - lose a bit of performance compared to a ball that was 10 minutes ago NIB.

[/quote]

I just bought from LGB for my first time. I ordered 6 dozen 2007 Pro V1x AAAAA. What I got looked very acceptable. But I DO have a few concerns ......

While the performance seems the same as a "new" ball, there are a few things that I noticed after playing the balls.

These are OBVIOUSLY water balls, and they have been treated in some way. What, I cannot say. The "Titleist" branding starts to come off after a few holes (never had THAT happen to a new ball). Also, any Sharpie marks that I put on the balls seem to disappear much faster than with a new ball.

Now ... these things do NOT bother me in any way. After all ... I payed way less for these than new cost. But don't think for a minute that these balls are "new" and have been picked up in the clover after being hit one time. While that might be true for a few that you get, the majority that I received have had the cover behavior that I mentioned above.

And just to clarify ... I WILL buy from them again mainly because of the cost and the fact that the balls DO perform correctly. But like I said ... they have been cleaned with something caustic (I suspect bleach perhaps?), or have been underwater for a period of time causing the stampings to become brittle and easy to wear off.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='buttuh' date='27 March 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1269726819' post='2344645']
Those Cally's are definitely not AAAAA. You should send those pictures to LGB's and see what they can do.
[/quote]
They responded and are giving me 10$ credit to the store. I might try the new Penta ball and maybe the I(s) and (z). But that golf dicount website has new tour i's for 25 a dozen brand new and I really like them.

[quote name='Hidalgo' date='04 April 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1270392380' post='2359709']
[quote name='Shadrach' date='26 March 2010 - 07:12 AM' timestamp='1269605524' post='2341835']
This thread persuaded me to give a sympathetic look to the LGB site. The prices are sure attractive.

But they advertise that they scour the waterways of the world's courses. I seem to recall reading somewhere that balls that have sat in the water for a certain length of time - possibly all winter? - lose a bit of performance compared to a ball that was 10 minutes ago NIB.

[/quote]

I just bought from LGB for my first time. I ordered 6 dozen 2007 Pro V1x AAAAA. What I got looked very acceptable. But I DO have a few concerns ......

While the performance seems the same as a "new" ball, there are a few things that I noticed after playing the balls.

These are OBVIOUSLY water balls, and they have been treated in some way. What, I cannot say. The "Titleist" branding starts to come off after a few holes (never had THAT happen to a new ball). Also, any Sharpie marks that I put on the balls seem to disappear much faster than with a new ball.

Now ... these things do NOT bother me in any way. After all ... I payed way less for these than new cost. But don't think for a minute that these balls are "new" and have been picked up in the clover after being hit one time. While that might be true for a few that you get, the majority that I received have had the cover behavior that I mentioned above.

And just to clarify ... I WILL buy from them again mainly because of the cost and the fact that the balls DO perform correctly. But like I said ... they have been cleaned with something caustic (I suspect bleach perhaps?), or have been underwater for a period of time causing the stampings to become brittle and easy to wear off.
[/quote]

Are golf balls water proof? can they get water logged like a baseball? I tried to look but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I know you said they play the same. But, it there anyway you can tell that they were in the water beside the stampings?

[quote name='geronimo509' date='04 April 2010 - 10:17 AM' timestamp='1270394243' post='2359755']
Are golf balls water proof? can they get water logged like a baseball? I tried to look but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I know you said they play the same. But, it there anyway you can tell that they were in the water beside the stampings?
[/quote]

Are they "waterproof"? I have no idea.

I'm sure that the COVER does absorb water after a period of time. If the cover wasn't a [i]little [/i]bit porous, they wouldn't discolor and take on that brownish hue after several days submerged. From what I understand, moisture can't actually get inside the ball.

Like I said ... I'm NOT disappointed with my purchase. Being able to play V1x's for $25 a dozen is wonderful. And I can't remember playing ANY ball for more than 18 holes anyway.

But the fact remains that these balls have either been cleaned with a VERY strong cleaning solution, or otherwise treated in some manner after cleaning.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

I just got my order of 6 dozen in today all AAA's. Now I am not really picky, but out of the bunch there were only 2 that I wouldn't play on any regular round. Out of the 6 dozen, I'd have no reservations at all about putting all but maybe 18 of them into play for any tourney competition.

Now this was the AAA variety, since I don't order the higher grades. If I played more tourney golf or were anal about my equipment/ball, then I would suggest the higher grades.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am debating whether to buy from this site as I've heard many good things about the balls. During my research I stumbled across this article which I think is worth looking at.

[url="http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=9079"]Does Water Affect Golf Balls[/url]

Now, I'm definitely not a pro golfer and I really doubt that I would notice any real distance loss so I think I might start out with a small order and see how they feel. My main concern is around the green and the feel off the face of my putter.

[quote name='bsparky16' date='30 April 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1272636963' post='2409857']
I too am debating whether to buy from this site as I've heard many good things about the balls. During my research I stumbled across this article which I think is worth looking at.

[url="http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=9079"]Does Water Affect Golf Balls[/url]

Now, I'm definitely not a pro golfer and I really doubt that I would notice any real distance loss so I think I might start out with a small order and see how they feel. My main concern is around the green and the feel off the face of my putter.
[/quote]

I just read the article. It's funny that Golf Digest people said the balls are shorter and the company thats sells the balls said, "their numbers are way off."

I would like to see extensive tests done by two parties that have no stake in the matter. If you honestly believe that Golf digest doesn't care if you buy new balls from someone who pays them money or a place like LGB, then your crazy. And if you think that a place like LGB wants you to believe that there is no difference, then you are crazy.

The debate about water balls being separate, I can tell you that I've bought dozens of balls from LGB and in that time I've only had a handful of balls that I felt were sub par, and those were in their 50 ball buckets, and when I brought it to their attention they credited my account for the bad balls. I'll continue to do business with them and recommend them to everyone I know.

[quote name='bsparky16' date='30 April 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1272636963' post='2409857']

[/quote]

That study was done on balata covered balls. I think it would have almost no relevance to today's urethane covered balls.

I have used LGB to obtain '07 ProV1's and I can say there is no loss of distance or feel.

I bought a bucket of 50 I(x)'s from LGB (AAAA). Not only are they close to mint, but I haven't been able to tell any difference in length whatsoever. I keep some new ones around for tournaments and the Sat. a.m. money game at my club, so I think I have a decent comparison.

At $1.00 a ball, it is a hard deal to beat, even if you only use them for casual rounds.

[quote name='nickrut' date='03 May 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1272902782' post='2417148']
The question is...is there a huge difference between 3 and 4 A's? Currently 3A's are half as much as 4As for certain balls.

Whats the recommendation?
[/quote]

I got 3 dozen AAA TP reds and there were about 8-10 out of the bunch that were either a little scuffed or discolored to where I probably wouldn't use them in a scoring round and I just use them to chip and practice with. The others were all in really good shape. I also bought a dozen AAAA pro v1 and they were all easily playable. I would say the AAA are a great deal if you don't mind getting a couple that are scuffed or discolored.

Taylormade SLDR 10.5* TS 6.3
Cobra Bio Cell+ 14.5* Red Tie
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* Altus
Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-AW 950GH
Vokey SM5 55* & 60* KBS Hi-Rev
Taylormade Ghost Manta

Saw a post either in this thread or another regarding someone finding some used balls being heavier than new. This was assumed to be due to being submerged in water (pond) for a prolonged length of time.

Decided to test this hypothesis. So I took some new Z stars, and compared them to used from Lostgolfballs.com. Compared AAAA and AAA Zstars and AAA Bridgstone B330. In my sample there was no difference, and very small variability. Take it for what it's worth.

[attachment=589087:Untitled.jpg]

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

I'm going through a swing adjustment and spraying balls everywhere. Rapidly deleting my 20 doz Taylormade LDP reds, so I decided to give LGB.com a try after reading all the glowing reviews here. My main concern was that the distance may suffer w/ used balls.

Well, if it does, I can't tell. In fact, I seem to be hitting 5yds longer. Could be the new swing, could be the warmer weather, but I'm hitting my 7i 170yds vs 165yds 2 weeks ago, 5i 190yds now vs 185yds.

I bought AAA LDP reds and AAAA LDP reds. There are a few more 'shag balls' in the AAA batch, but the best of both bunches are nearly identical. Hope that helps.

[quote name='oliversax' date='08 May 2010 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1273326484' post='2428677']
I'm going through a swing adjustment and spraying balls everywhere. Rapidly deleting my 20 doz Taylormade LDP reds, so I decided to give LGB.com a try after reading all the glowing reviews here. My main concern was that the distance may suffer w/ used balls.

Well, if it does, I can't tell. In fact, I seem to be hitting 5yds longer. Could be the new swing, could be the warmer weather, but I'm hitting my 7i 170yds vs 165yds 2 weeks ago, 5i 190yds now vs 185yds.

I bought AAA LDP reds and AAAA LDP reds. There are a few more 'shag balls' in the AAA batch, but the best of both bunches are nearly identical. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Got my bucket of 100 yesterday. Looked good. Even the ones with marks were purely cosmetic which I don't really care about.

The bridgestone 330's were a little worse looking, but that appears to be due to the fact that they are slightly less durable.

Overall I'm happy with it.