Whatcha watchin?

dashanks

On TV, I mean.  Is there already a thread like this because I couldn't find one?   I didn't really kill myself looking.   Anyway, I thought it might be nice to get some recommendations from geezers such as myself who might have comparable tastes.  To start, I would like to mention "Bookie" on Max (HBO).  Sebastion Maniscalco.  Some lines that actually might make you laugh, which is rare for a sitcom these days. 

• Like 2

Apparently, Ti and I are the only 2 of 660,000 golfers who watch TV besides golf.

Recent TV has been pretty good I think.  I really enjoyed Marvelous Mrs Maisal.  The Fabulous Gemstones was good as well.  My wife likes Virgin River, which is like a hallmark Christmas movie over 5 seasons.  Jack Ryan and Reacher are super formulaic but entertaining.  And for something completely different we enjoyed Mandalorian.  You have probably seen most/all of these, but these are the ones we watch when the new season is out.  White Lotus, I think that’s the name is good as well and we watch those when they come out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm always looking for something to watch with the wife.  Our tastes are really different so it's not easy.   Like we both enjoyed Mrs. Maisal,  but I know she would never like the Gemstones, which I got a kick out of.  She's into Real Housewives, Survivor, Big Brother, and basically stuff I can't stand.   We did manage to get together on Jack Ryan and The Wire lately.   I know Wire is old but we just found it.  Currently we're doing The Crown, Fargo and The Gilded Age.  I've also been looking at For All Mankind.  But it's been going a little limp lately.  Don't really see anything lately that can stack up against all-time favorites like Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood.  Everything has to be so politically correct nowadays.  I really enjoyed original Bosch and Justified, but they can keep the latest versions. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dashanks said:

I'm always looking for something to watch with the wife.  Our tastes are really different so it's not easy.   Like we both enjoyed Mrs. Maisal,  but I know she would never like the Gemstones, which I got a kick out of.  She's into Real Housewives, Survivor, Big Brother, and basically stuff I can't stand.   We did manage to get together on Jack Ryan and The Wire lately.   I know Wire is old but we just found it.  Currently we're doing The Crown, Fargo and The Gilded Age.  I've also been looking at For All Mankind.  But it's been going a little limp lately.  Don't really see anything lately that can stack up against all-time favorites like Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood.  Everything has to be so politically correct nowadays.  I really enjoyed original Bosch and Justified, but they can keep the latest versions. 

I went to high school with Sharlene in the Wire.  Perhaps most beautiful woman I have ever known.

• Like 2

We raced through 7 seasons of Bosch this past summer. Yes, to Jack Ryan and (Jack) Reacher. Are all TV Bad Boys called Jack? I remember Jack Bauer from "24" as well. The Diplomat with Kari Russell is good. Just started the new season of Fargo. This goes back a few years, but Succession was excellent. 

• Like 2

Good stuff that’s not as promoted-

Halo-very cool sci-fi series based on the video game. Top notch special effects and got Natascha McElhone, there you go

Gravesend-seriously authentic NY mob series. Had a pilot season then was picked up. Not big budget but you can see all the mob neighborhoods and it’s got solid plots. And in the 2nd season, I guess a lot of “old school” actors wanted to be in it. It’s got Chaz Palmetiera, couple of Sopranis guys, Armand Asante, even Fran Dresher lol

The Take-Tom Hardy, Brit Mob series, hilarious, ultra-violent, and totally insane 

lol, sorry the font size messed up 🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

Apparently, Ti and I are the only 2 of 660,000 golfers who watch TV besides golf.

Recent TV has been pretty good I think.  I really enjoyed Marvelous Mrs Maisal.  The Fabulous Gemstones was good as well.  My wife likes Virgin River, which is like a hallmark Christmas movie over 5 seasons.  Jack Ryan and Reacher are super formulaic but entertaining.  And for something completely different we enjoyed Mandalorian.  You have probably seen most/all of these, but these are the ones we watch when the new season is out.  White Lotus, I think that’s the name is good as well and we watch those when they come out.

White Lotus is simply terrific. Looking forward to season 3. New Reacher out,

or about to come out. Enjoyed the last season. Was trying to think of newer stuff I’ve seen… It all kinda just blends together. The ‘The Boys’ spinoff Gen V was entertaining. Been enjoying Hard Knocks In Season w/the Dolphins. Coach McDaniel is a hoot. Just finished Obliterated on Netflix. I’ll just say entertaining and better than most stuff on reg TV.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TiScape said:

White Lotus is simply terrific. Looking forward to season 3. New Reacher out,

or about to come out. Enjoyed the last season. Was trying to think of newer stuff I’ve seen… It all kinda just blends together. The ‘The Boys’ spinoff Gen V was entertaining. Been enjoying Hard Knocks In Season w/the Dolphins. Coach McDaniel is a hoot. Just finished Obliterated on Netflix. I’ll just say entertaining and better than most stuff on reg TV.

I'll try some of that stuff.   Football tonight.  I didn't watch for a long time.  Finally broke down.  Just had to resign myself to the fact that the goofy  BS was never going to go away.  The stuff still makes me cringe, but hey, that's the way it's gonna be.   These kids are good.  Fun to watch.  So, I have to watch a number from "No, No, Nannette" preformed in the end zone every time someone makes an interception.  That's just the way it is.   

The fans scare me some times.  They'll do a shot of some dude in the stands once in a while and you just want to ask the guy, "Do you have any life at all?  How could this possibly mean this much to you?"  But it's fun.

KC just made it 7-10.  Eagles and Cowboys later.  Good evening for football.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dashanks said:

I'll try some of that stuff.   Football tonight.  I didn't watch for a long time.  Finally broke down.  Just had to resign myself to the fact that the goofy  BS was never going to go away.  The stuff still makes me cringe, but hey, that's the way it's gonna be.   These kids are good.  Fun to watch.  So, I have to watch a number from "No, No, Nannette" preformed in the end zone every time someone makes an interception.  That's just the way it is.   

The fans scare me some times.  They'll do a shot of some dude in the stands once in a while and you just want to ask the guy, "Do you have any life at all?  How could this possibly mean this much to you?"  But it's fun.

KC just made it 7-10.  Eagles and Cowboys later.  Good evening for football.

Watching the 9ers. Talk about an entertaining team!! Dang

• Like 2

Watched ‘Leave the World Behind’ on Netflix last night. Based on the Rumaan Alam book. I was entertained and again, beats the heck outta what’s on regular TV! 

*touches on some social issues. Most notably, the more we use/become dependent on technology, the more vulnerable we are. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dashanks said:

I tried to watch it last night also.  But after walking 27 and a few glasses of red, I nodded out after about 45 minutes.  Does it pick up the pace a little after that?

Yeah, a little. Definitely not an action flic. I woulda nodded off after all that walking and wine as well! 

Watched the 2 latest episodes of Bookie last night. I’m really enjoying that one. If they woulda released all the episodes at once I definitely woulda binged it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

Yeah, a little. Definitely not an action flic. I woulda nodded off after all that walking and wine as well! 

Watched the 2 latest episodes of Bookie last night. I’m really enjoying that one. If they woulda released all the episodes at once I definitely woulda binged it. 

I'm kinda glad when they space series episodes out.  I need things to look forward to.

• Like 1

I struggle with finding anything good to watch. Netflix feels like an 80s video store late on a Friday night with no current release stuff and a bunch of foreign films and junk I’ve never heard of.

Having said that, my wife and I are currently watching the latest season of Fargo. Good stuff! Jon Hamm in a new role. Also Jennifer Jason Leigh, also in a unique role. Most all of the seasons are good, especially the 1st.

You've all probably seen these, but if not, I highly recommend them:

True Detective Season 1. Best series I’ve ever seen. By far.

Early seasons of Marvelous Mrs. Mailsel. Later stuff was overacted IMO.

White Lotus, enjoyed every season

Mad Dogs - I think there was only 1 season, which is a shame

Twin Peaks - 90s era series from David Lynch, of Eraserhead fame. Weird dude.

• Like 4

Here is another one that I enjoyed, but I, the Mrs and the kids have all worked in the food industry.  The Bear.

We are currently watching Reservation Dogs on Hulu.  It's a quirky show about Native Americans on an OK reservation coming to grips with their Native heritage and beliefs, poverty, and the greater world.  A few nights ago I mentioned it is sort of like the ghost of Seinfeld in that things happen but nothing happens.  The difference is this shows humor isn't in one liners, but rather just the feel of the show.  It's entertaining, but I wouldn't put it in the pantheon of other new shows that have been mentioned.

• Like 3

Parts Unknown. 

Great travel and food show with Anthony Bourdain.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Fairway: PING G425 SFT | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

We binged seasons 1-4 of Fargo. Great show. For us, and the way Fargo has played out so far, I cant see myself being able to watch only one episode a week through the course of the season, so we're waiting for the full season to run so we can watch all of it at once. 

Other shows that are a good watch:

Mad Men

Sopranos

Peaky Blinders

Gangs of London

We have Netflix, Prime Video and Hulu. We go through spells where we stick to one and watch all we can find, then move on to the next. On our last Prime Video run, my wife found the "BritBox" subscription. Apparently, the British folks love their police dramas, as there's no shortage of them. I think we've watched most of them, and I cant name them all, but most of the newer ones are pretty good. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigred90gt said:

I started Reacher, and I think I’m about 1/2 way through season 1. The acting is terrible on that show. 

After my post I watched the 1st three episodes. I will say it’s not that good. 

*oh, just noticed ur on season 1! Haha

It is definitely better than season 2. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 6:54 PM, TiScape said:

I’m hearing the new season of Reacher on Amazon is a good watch. 

I have read all the books and was terribly disappointed they cast that 5 ft tall Troll Tom Cruise in the movie, what a waste of a good plot.

Just found the series and watched a couple of the trailers, seems to follow the books quite well.

• Like 2

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

3 hours ago, Jim53 said:

I have read all the books and was terribly disappointed they cast that 5 ft tall Troll Tom Cruise in the movie, what a waste of a good plot.

Just found the series and watched a couple of the trailers, seems to follow the books quite well.

I read an interview with the author of the books, Childs. He said Reacher’s size was important for certain parts of the books narrative. So he understood why a lot of the original fans of the books were upset w/them choosing Cruise. I mean, you couldn’t choose an actor that’s much further away from the original Reacher. What, a foot and 100 pounds! Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ripper212 said:

For All Mankind on Apple TV - excellent cast, revisionist history, suspend disbelief

Slow Horses, also on Apple - Gary Oldman is a hoot

Was just going to post this. Slow Horses is really good and Oldman is brilliant! 

Enjoyed Stallone's "Tulsa King"

If you like Sci -Fi, try and find 11.22.63, 

based on Stephen King's book. 

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge