2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you do any strength exercises?

I want to walk 18 without hurting...
First a little background:
I am 54 and have been playing since 1973. I have always been athletic. Baseball career was stopped (1973) due to lower back problems.
During those years, I occassionally worked out lifting weights, jogging 3 miles three times a week, etc. I think that the weightlifting may have done some damage because my joints/muscles are ALWAYS in pain. No matter which way I twist, turn I hurt... not severly though. I tested for Lyme but although "tyter" was high, Lyme was negative. Might be some arthritis.

Anyway, I started playing again last year and try to play at least twice a week. I try to walk (push cart)to save money but find that my legs and back hurt around the 14th hole. I can walk a non hilly course with a push cart and feel pretty good, but any course with moderate hills and I have some leg and back pain. Enough pain where, after 18, I'm done. I carried a few times and although easier, up hills, than pushing a cart, my back had enough.

My goal is to be able to walk, carry or push, 18 holes and not feel whipped.

I started doing flexability (Yoga) exercises but was wondering if anyone does other things that has actually helped them walk the course better.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no Dr, Now that the disclaimer is out of the way. I've found (personally) sometimes what hurts is the result of something else being out of whack and you're compensating in your walking. At our age (I'm 51) the back is certainly a natural to give you problems, especially with all the sports you've played.

The legs however, sounds odd especially considering you've been active. It might something in your hips or even feet. First and foremost to walking is make sure you have an excellent pair of shoes. Don't skimp here, it amazes me people will spend $400 for a driver but try and buy shoes for $49. You get what you pay for, not saving that's what you are doing, but just in case. I wear nothing but Ecco, they are the most comfortable and supportive shoes I've found for me.

The easy answer is get checked out by a Dr. to see if there is any arthritis in the hip or knees that is bothering you. I've made a pledge to myself to walk more this year than I have in the past, but I have arthritis in the knee and just had it scoped for a torn meniscus, so we'll see how that comes to be this year.

Good luck!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

If it's not some degenerative condition, then the usual advice is a regular fitness regime with core strength and flexibility the main targets. Mine uses circuit training alternating days with cardio, and stretching every day. If I stick with it, it really helps, but there are still days when it's the ibuprofen that gets me around. I second the good shoes recommendation, and even they may need help. Foot problems can affect your back, and you may need inserts to control some imbalance and take some strain off your legs and back. It's worth checking.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='15 March 2010 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1268662028' post='2316809']

The legs however, sounds odd especially considering you've been active. It might something in your hips or even feet. First and foremost to walking is make sure you have an excellent pair of shoes.
Good luck!!
[/quote]

[quote name='johnha' date='15 March 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1268673689' post='2317209']
I second the good shoes recommendation, and even they may need help. Foot problems can affect your back, and you may need inserts to control some imbalance and take some strain off your legs and back. It's worth checking.
[/quote]

I do use Ecco & Footjoy, but I NEVER considered a foot problem since I don't have any problems in that area. But, as you mentioned, it could be an imbalance problem which I never considered. I have lived with the discomfort for so long that I'm used to it. In fact, I haven't had a pain free day in probably 20 years. The pain, however is more in the upper body region; shoulders, rib cage, back, etc.

The legs/hips bother me when I have walked awhile, like 18 holes. In fact when I drive home, after walking 18, and get out of the car, I can barely walk for a minute. Then everything loosens up again. I quess I'll have to get it checked out.

"Fitness" gets redefined with age and physical limitation. At 30, with no physical limitations, "getting back into shape" is way different than post 50 with compromised spinal disc and knee issues. And, the mentality of "no pain no gain" actually becomes damaging and can create a nasty cycle of overdo and recovery.

I have had longstanding back and knee and joint problems after being athletic all my life as well as working in trades that are very physical. That's a lot of "mileage" for a 1954 model year. I've had two spine surgeries and screws in my neck from ruptured discs. Also nasty cartilage in my knees. At one point, I kept playing golf despite back and neck and knee pain. This was before surgery. Then on day my lower back disc gave way after a long drive off the tee and my left leg was paralyzed. Anyway, that's the history.

At some point I was not able to walk a course without back and knee pain so I stopped carrying the bag. Then after awhile I started hurting badly even with a pull cart. Then I bought an electric pull cart which was wonderful for awhile. Then, you guessed it, knee and back pain. See how things diminish. All the while, I have tried physical therapy, core work at the gym, yoga, accupuncture, you name it. Any type of therapy is only going to help old bad knees and old bad backs to a certain point. It helps. But, damaged is damaged. Worn is worn when it comes to discs and cartilage and joints.

So, I got smart and realized that everyone's different. For me, the point was to stay reasonably fit yet protect my body and stop abusing it. Now, I go for morning walks or use a treadmill or eliptical when it rains. I also return regularly to physical therapy to monitor my progress. And ride a golf cart to play golf. I reshaped my swing to protect my spine and knees so I can finish 18 holes without too much pain. I find that my swing stays in better balance because I'm not straining my back and body by walking the course. I find that I enjoy the game even more because I'm not fighting to overcome physical issues rather than work with what I have.

Maybe get an MRI on your spine and knees (only and MRI will show your discs enough to evaluate) and see what you have to work with. My Xrays look great but it's deceiving as it does not show the condition of my discs. High mileage is high mileage.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Buddyjay' date='15 March 2010 - 07:09 AM' timestamp='1268658557' post='2316738']
First a little background:
I am 54 and have been playing since 1973. I have always been athletic. Baseball career was stopped (1973) due to lower back problems.
During those years, I occassionally worked out lifting weights, jogging 3 miles three times a week, etc. I think that the weightlifting may have done some damage because my joints/muscles are ALWAYS in pain. No matter which way I twist, turn I hurt... not severly though. I tested for Lyme but although "tyter" was high, Lyme was negative. Might be some arthritis.

Anyway, I started playing again last year and try to play at least twice a week. I try to walk (push cart)to save money but find that my legs and back hurt around the 14th hole. I can walk a non hilly course with a push cart and feel pretty good, but any course with moderate hills and I have some leg and back pain. Enough pain where, after 18, I'm done. I carried a few times and although easier, up hills, than pushing a cart, my back had enough.

My goal is to be able to walk, carry or push, 18 holes and not feel whipped.

I started doing flexability (Yoga) exercises but was wondering if anyone does other things that has actually helped them walk the course better.
[/quote]
Every other day you'll find me at the gym for 1.5 - 2 hrs.  Today's gym day.  I look forward to spending my lunch there.  My work out starts with 30-45 mins on elliptical followed by the full circuit, and finishes with 120 sit ups with extra weight on my chest; but that's my full workout.  Shared to show it's kept this 60 year old going strong, including easily walking 18.

To address your question all that's needed is daily low impact cardio; elliptical or stationary bike which you can buy used, and lots of sit ups.  I love walking 18...

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you had/have. I feel that is kind of my situation. As I posted in the beginning, I have been athletic all my life and did a lot of weight lifting about 20 years ago. I have very strong legs and used to do a lot of leg presses. But I believe that the lifting is what has done a lot of damage. I'm always in pain now. But I must admit, that when I do physical work, I feel better for awhile. I did some contracting work (kitchens, decks, etc.) for the last 5 years and did feel better. But I am out of that business now and pretty sedentary. Now the pain is back.

I just came back from the driving range and I just can't seem to get rid of the pain in my wrists. This is somewhat new. Leg joints, rib cage and shoulders are ALWAYS bothersome. Advil helps but don't want to take too much, too many days.

I didn't lay off the golf this winter either. Was playing in December and January and went to Mytrle Beach in February so it's not winter rust.

Sean Cochran has a great book out titled "Golf Fitness Over Fifty". There are different levels of stretching and exercising and I believe it has really helped me. I'm 58 and I purchased this book about a month ago. I have steadily increased my shoulder turn, and my balance on the finish position. I have gained about 2-3 mph on my driver swing speed and I'm only getting started. About $30 I think.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you wish to walk then may I suggest an electric trolley. Over here (the UK) buggies aren't used much so it's a walking game for 99% of golfers, and most seniors use an electric trolley. I'm 56, been playing 8 years and all that time I used a reduced set in a pencil bag as I wanted to carry. Although it was lightweight the toll on the ailments became too much and I have switched to an electric trolley this year. I play a lot of golf, most days, and am struggling far less now, it really has made a difference. There are some great push carts out there but you still have to push it around the course! You would be surprised how mych extra energy you have with an electric trolley, and the reduced stress on all the old injuries. UK is expensive for most things, a reasonable electric trolley is about the equivalent of $330, doubtless cheaper in the USA. Thats quite an initial outlay but I believe worth it in the long run, if the trolley lasts 5 years and you play a reasonable amount that makes it less than a dollar a round for the trolley.

I'm 52 with back issues, and also have always struggled with sore joints, tendonitis from golf even when I was younger. But I have a fitness routine to work on core strength (this has really helped back issues) and stretching. I really think flexibility is a key to reducing joint pain. Losing weight if you're overweight is also important.

But if your joints and muscles are always in pain you should see a doctor definitely.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

If you have minor joint pain (not to be confused with deep muscle or extreme joint pain - you know the difference) try taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement. They help some folks - others report no affect.

I swear by them and take two a day to take the edge off of stiff joints that naturally come with aging.

Solgar makes a shellfish-free supplement for those who are allergic to shellfish.

• 3 weeks later...

try a new matress, im trying to get my wife to assisnt in buying a new one but she insists she has no issues. we bought a new one only 5 years ago and ive had back issues ever since but she has none. on the weekends i sleep on the couch since she doesnt like sleeping with me after ive had a few drinks as i kick and turn a lot but i feel so much better on weekends sleeping on the couch. im not sure if its the alchohol relaxing the muscles or the fact that couch is better than our bed but i have played nearly every sport except golf through out childhood and high school and my bones feel used up and ache a lot unless i sleep on the couch

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

[quote name='prestiege' date='18 June 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1276904754' post='2518393']
try a new matress, im trying to get my wife to assisnt in buying a new one but she insists she has no issues. we bought a new one only 5 years ago and ive had back issues ever since but she has none. on the weekends i sleep on the couch since she doesnt like sleeping with me after ive had a few drinks as i kick and turn a lot but i feel so much better on weekends sleeping on the couch. im not sure if its the alchohol relaxing the muscles or the fact that couch is better than our bed but i have played nearly every sport except golf through out childhood and high school and my bones feel used up and ache a lot unless i sleep on the couch
[/quote]

Hell of a coincidence... I just bought a new mattress last week.
Since my original post in March, my wrist pain has gone away. Sometimes when I get "handsy" it flairs up but mostly okay now.

I am hoping the new mattress works out. So far so good. No morning back pain but that may also be because I have been playing golf almost 3 times a week and have loosened up everything.

[quote name='Senior_Golfer' date='18 June 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1276908835' post='2518518']
Try lap swimming, and "Yoga for Golfers", Katerine Roberts

Tee it Up
[/quote]

I have her DVD. Have used it a couple times and although it is VERY good and beneficial, I am getting lazy sometimes and only playing golf. I will probably use it a lot in the off season.

• 3 months later...

I have been having this same problem over the past years, but recently have found a solution in extensive lower back/hamstring stretching along with hot yoga (yoga in a 100+ degree room) which really loosens my muscles and joints. I have dedicated myself to these practices for about a year now and my pain has significantly reduced. Something else I also found interesting; my son recently brought home a Nintendo Wii along with the game Wii Fit which if unfamiliar is a interactive game where you stand on a device that measures your weight, balance, etc. Anyway, it has a drill that measures the distribution of weight you put on each leg (I think the first time i tried i was something like 58/42 right leg to left leg). Allegedly, this is very bad for your alignment and can over time effect your back and feet. I have been doing the drills they offer to correct this and have seen improvements in my balance. Its a different approach but still something you might be interested in looking into.

Good yoga (finding a challenging and experienced teacher is key) and P90X. Two things that are important to me: combining stretching with strength exercises and developing stabilizing muscles for joint health. Knowing when to work through pain and when to give it a rest is hard and I don't always make the right call. Over time, though, strength and fitness continue to improve and episodes of pain become more infrequent.

My biggest issue lately is tightening up on the course after an hour or so. Stretching and more water don't seem to help. There's no pain but I just can't get comfortable and play fluidly.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

More high grade protein for the pain. As we get older, we do not need as much protein, but when "working out" or any strength training, you need extra protein.

Try a powdered whey supplement, somewhere between 20-40 grams extra a day and add some extra fiber, maybe a handful of oats....you will feel better the next day

If you have problems with digestion, add some fresh grated ginger tea at some point during the day after the whey.

I am not as old as you farts, but this stuff usually works. I second the Yoga recommendations. i do Hatha yoga and you do need some instruction.

I am 63 and walking has been a real help for me. I have walked for about 14 years now and just quit carrying my clubs. I have been playing for 50 years. I do some push-ups and a few other stretching/strength exercises. But it is much harder to add any muscle mass at my age. It is hard enough to just keep what I have. LOL

I have been blessed at having no back problems. Most of my friends do have problems. I am also lucky to be very flexible. I guess that is just in my genes. I really attribute most of this to walking when I play golf. It is good for the mind and good for the soul. I had a liver transplant 11 years ago and I doubt I would be alive if not for golf and walking 9 holes sometimes 6 days a week.

BTW, I have two relatives, both nurses who were mis-diagnosed as neg. for Lyme's disease. You might want to get re-test and make sure a different labs does the test. That is if your symptoms do not go away. Good luck to all with the pain problems. =) Maverick

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 1 year later...

I am 52 and all my aches and pains went away when I started doing yoga 4 years ago. My wife pestered me long and hard for several years to start yoga. Sure enough, I was the only man in the class but that has its advantages...

I had such back pain that my wife called me "evolving man". When getting out of bed or out of a chair I would remain bent over at the waist and have to walk myself upright.

I am completely pain free and have added in some cardio as well as some strength training (moderate) and other stretching exercises.

A lot of other things fell into place when I switched to a primarily plant based diet earlier this year. Its not for everyone but it works great for me; I feel much better and have a lot more stamina than the meat based diet I was on most of my life.

I'm 56 and walk and carry. I don't do anything special. I walk a lot and stretch. In the off season I walk the golf course, stretch and do light weights in the gym. If the course is buried in snow I'll walk at a very fast clip on the treadmill.

I had a heart attack a few months back and had to use a push cart for a while, but am now back to carrying. My mother is 81 and walks 3 to 5 miles a day and twice a year she does a 20 plus mile walk. Her health is excellent and all she's ever done is walk. She lives a few hundred miles away and still mowes her own lawn, shovels her own snow, etc. I just got her to quit cleaning out her own gutters and pay someone else to do it.