SRIXON TOUR YELLOW

KintamaTP

[quote name='dansrixon' date='25 March 2010 - 08:59 AM' timestamp='1269525591' post='2339844']
Its not "think" its a proven fact that yellow is the most visible color in the visual spectrum..hence why tennis balls are now yellow. Plus before releasing this golf ball Srixon did a lot of testing, different distances, different times of day, different cloud cover, different age groups, in every test, at every distance the yellow ball is easier to see than a white ball.

at 250 yards only 20% of people can see a white golf ball...65% can see the yellow ball at 250 yards.
[/quote]

I have no problems seeing a white ball 300+ yards out there. I must be the exception if those supposed figures are correct. I'm not talking about flight against white clouds. I'm talking about searching for a yellow ball in on the fairway in the rough or on the green. A white ball is easier to see because of it's place on the color specturm. A tennis ball became yellow so it did not get lost in the white that your opponent was wearing.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DG, there has been some real interesting colour testing going on over the

past five years, we have been doing it here at Vision and so have Kasco in Japan.

Clean new Bright White balls are about the brightest when compared to normal Fluro

Yellow type colours but a phosphorescent (GLOWING ) UV Yellow colour is the

brightest colour you will ever see on a golf course and more so as the light of day

diminishes towards twilight / from daybreak or on overcast days.

Some players (mainly male ) because of varying degrees of colour blindness

will see the white better. A lot of guys are Red/Green colour blind, you will know

if its you as a red wooden tees are really hard to find when in play against the green

grass, this has an effect on all the colours you see and is only one variation of the

issue.

In regards to White balls, there are many types of white painted balls on the

market and the Premium Tour White used to be a bit softer / duller than the surlyn

Blue White. The Tour white balls like the ProV1 / LDP TP Red start bright but you will

change their brightness and become duller during a round as the lacquer and paint

start to wear even though they look like there is no real cover damage.

At this stage of the colour story things have not been explained very well

so here is my take on it,

Better visibility is something a large number of regular players could do

with to help them stay in the game / speed up their game / give them more

confidence. This is not supposed to be for everyone and its not to be pushed

as a replacement for White, but it is a real option for performance reasons rather

than cosmetic reasons remember the Crystal ball line of a few years ago,,," colour

makes golf fun! "

My take on this fun theme is, " Better Golf is Fun Golf."

If I was a serious player I would also look at the bright yellow balls for those

times when they are better than white, to help make sure I do not lose a ball

because it is not bright enough due to the conditions of play.

I am seeing a lot more better players using the bright yellow balls not as their

normal gamer but as an alternative piece of practical equipment for the late

9 holes / early 9 holes , rainy day play and winter play and the beauty of these

new Tour Yellow balls will be that these new balls play the same as your

white ones. rolleyes.gif

Anyway this is how we have been approching the story here in Oz, so I

hope Srixon get the full story out to players as I believe these type of

balls will help the game in general.

The right colour for the right player can make a real difference.

Cheers,

Boz.

[quote name='DevilGolfer' date='25 March 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1269536075' post='2340166']
[quote name='dansrixon' date='25 March 2010 - 08:59 AM' timestamp='1269525591' post='2339844']
Its not "think" its a proven fact that yellow is the most visible color in the visual spectrum..hence why tennis balls are now yellow. Plus before releasing this golf ball Srixon did a lot of testing, different distances, different times of day, different cloud cover, different age groups, in every test, at every distance the yellow ball is easier to see than a white ball.

at 250 yards only 20% of people can see a white golf ball...65% can see the yellow ball at 250 yards.
[/quote]

I have no problems seeing a white ball 300+ yards out there. I must be the exception if those supposed figures are correct. I'm not talking about flight against white clouds. I'm talking about searching for a yellow ball in on the fairway in the rough or on the green. A white ball is easier to see because of it's place on the color specturm. A tennis ball became yellow so it did not get lost in the white that your opponent was wearing.
[/quote]
Not so sure about tennis players losing the white ball in the opponents clothing. It has been a LONG time since anyone wore all white in a tennis tournament.

[quote name='DevilGolfer' date='25 March 2010 - 06:22 AM' timestamp='1269523378' post='2339773']
Why do people think a yellow ball will be more visible? Yellow will undoubtedly make it harder. A white ball is the easiest to locate.
[/quote]

[quote name='dansrixon' date='25 March 2010 - 06:59 AM' timestamp='1269525591' post='2339844']

[/quote]

But, the thing is, see, it's not really YELLOW, as I pointed out, as you can see from the sheen on the Neon-Yellow (some may call it verging on Neon-Lime). And I am telling you, this ball is very easy to spot. It's literally REFLECTS and SHINES so much in the grass, I am finding it much easier to spot. Especially with my Astigmatic-Polatized sunglasses that sometimes lost the white due to the polarization.

[quote name='hef63303' date='25 March 2010 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1269560634' post='2340946']
[quote name='DevilGolfer' date='25 March 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1269536075' post='2340166']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Not so sure about tennis players losing the white ball in the opponents clothing. It has been a LONG time since anyone wore all white in a tennis tournament.
[/quote]
Wimbledon. requires white. many wear solid white ....

Hi Hef, This is another area of poor story telling by Srixon.

The problems faced by Pro Tennis on TV in the early 70's was that the balls
got "lost" with the amount of white on and around the court especially with
many people around the world still watching on black and white sets at the time.

Then there was the issue of players all playing in mainly white clothing plus
the fact the white balls became quite dirty and darker quickly.

They tried hot pink at the time as a good contrast colour but the bright Fluoro
Yellow/Green left it for dead and as the white balls were a wool dull white colour
they too soon lost major market share and over time the Yellow became the norm.

Foxsports talked to me here in Oz a few years ago when I started up with
the UV Yellow balls to see if we could get them on Tour because it would
help on TV especially when the balls were in flight and now more so with
FullHD and soon 3D.

Cheers, Boz.

Hi JW, I am also red/green colourblind and cannot see a red tee even if its where
I placed it on the grass, no sorry to confuse we can see the Yellow balls way better
especially in comparision to a slightly soiled/used white ball. I would try it.
My point was that there have been a few players in our testing that didn't see
the UV Yellow as being brighter.

When Jack Nicklaus was playing Yellow I started to play them in the 80's and
just loved the idea that I knew it was my ball,,, in the bunker,,,, under the tree,,
from plenty of distance so I could start planning my next shot early.

Yes Kin, the colour is not the super bright yellow but I believe that is either because
the very thin TPU Urethane cover has made it difficult to get a lot of colour into it
or they have gone for what is maybe a Premium looking colour away from the
bright Yellow Crystal colours of the past few years.

The Gold Pearl effect which is very popular in Japan at the moment with Premium
products and helps because it glistens and therefore adds to the visual effect.

Cheers,
Boz.

Okay here's another thought I have. On the pictures above, I can't really see the dimples on the Tour Yellow balls. I can see them clearly on the white balls. I'm sure the dimple depth/pattern is identical, right? Does the Tour Yellow color wash out the contrast, or is it just my eyesight?

TM M1 9.5*
Titleist 917 3W
3-PW Mizuno MP-53 w/ Nippon Modus 3 120S
50*, 54*, 58*, Vokey Wedges
TM TP Collection Ardmore 3

Hi JW, good question firstly the photo's are not really that practical to see exactly
how they look re contast etc especailly the actual colour,,

The issue of how the dimples look is right in that the slightly transparent style of
the cover makes it hard to see the dimples because you don't get the same shadow
effect that you do on a painted ball.

This effect also helps to hide light scuff marks and blems during play because they
are not so visible therefore giving the impression that the cover is more durable.

Boz.

Is there anything, other than the color, that is different about the balls? I only ask because people keep referring to it as if there were something else to it.. I see the value of the color distinction ( the yellow is kinda cheesy though). But i do see a problem not telling if it's scuffed or not , isn't a scuffed ball aerodynamicly different than a new one ? I don't know the answer to that , but I do take them out of play when I scuff them up.. All that being said I will still try them

Stealth 2+ 7.0 PD 6X

Stealth 2+ 5wd ADDI-7x

iCrossover 3H ADDI 95x

ZX7 MKii 4-AW C-Taper 130x

MG4 56* 60* DGX7 Spinner 

PLD Custom Anser 2D BGT Stability 

[quote name='SUBPARJ' date='28 March 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1269792524' post='2345829']
Is there anything, other than the color, that is different about the balls? I only ask because people keep referring to it as if there were something else to it.. I see the value of the color distinction ( the yellow is kinda cheesy though). But i do see a problem not telling if it's scuffed or not , isn't a scuffed ball aerodynamicly different than a new one ? I don't know the answer to that , but I do take them out of play when I scuff them up.. All that being said I will still try them
[/quote]

The playing characteristics of the Tour Yellow and the white ball are the same, that said you will see a scuff in the white ball easier, but the bigger issue is, for a lot of people this is there first time playing a Srixon. Now, I have not played anything else in almost 6 years, but what everyone tells me the Z-Star is the most durable premium ball on the market.

With this whole Cobra being sold business there has been an influx of Cobra/Prov1 staffers switching to the Srixon ball on the local club level, and the first thing i hear time and time again is how durable the Z-Star is.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

This is my second year playing the Z-stars and I pesonally feel they are the best ball on the market. A very durable ball which performs great. I've been playing the yellow for 2 weeks now and I have to say I hope they don't stop making these anytime soon. I like the look at address, which instills confidence in me, which I believe has led to me shooting some pretty good scores lately.

Just bought some this last weekend and am heading to the course tomorrow. I am looking forward to giving them a try. I've never played Srixon balls before so this will be my first experience with their balls. Judging from the posts above I expect that I will like them.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash Star Hybrid JDM 26* - Speeder Evolution S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

Played my first round today with the Z Star-X yellow. Below are my initial observations.

[u][b]Feel:
[/b][/u]Felt a little harder (not Top rock hard), but definetly harder than TP Red's, Callaway ix's, and Pro V's. I liked the feel off of my irons the best. Driver was not bad but a little too hard for me. Putter was decent, again I prefer the TP Reds over these in terms of feel. On a scale 1 to 10 I would rate them a 7 in feel.

[u][b]Durability: [/b][/u]
Probably the most durable premium ball I have ever played. I played the same ball the entire round till I hit it in the water on my approach shot into 18. It had no scuffs or real signs of wear. Scale 1 to 10, I give them a 10.

[b][u]Ability to see/find the yellow ball:
[/u][/b]I didn't know what to expect on this. I bought them just to give them a shot with no real expectations. The ball IMO is harder to follow compared to a white ball. It just blended in too well to the growing green grass. As far as tracking it, let me just say I had no trouble knowing what ball was mine in the 5 some we played today. That was a benefit I guess.

[b][u]Length:
[/u][/b]Kind of hard for me to rate it just yet because I was struggling with the driver, but I think it's a pretty long ball (comparable to my favorite TP Red). I hit 1 decent drive and it went pretty good and it was into the wind too.

[b][u]Overall:
[/u][/b]I need to play them again when I'm swinging a little better, but I think they are a good ball. I don't think they'll knock the TP Red's or Penta's out of the bag, but I'd give them a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Played my first 18 hole round today in Iowa... Still no sign of the Tour Yellow at the local golf shop or course. I'll be visiting the GG in Des Moines tomorrow in hopes that they have received their shipment. FWIW, the local golf shop didn't have the new Callaways or Penta yet either (I would not settle for the old news Pro V1s, so I played my whole round with shag bag balls). It's tough being a golfer in Iowa I tell ya.

TM M1 9.5*
Titleist 917 3W
3-PW Mizuno MP-53 w/ Nippon Modus 3 120S
50*, 54*, 58*, Vokey Wedges
TM TP Collection Ardmore 3

Played 5 rounds this week and cannot say enough about this golf ball. I had never really given Srixon a try before this and I'm crazy about this golf ball. It just does everything right; good distance off the driver and irons, spin around the greens and soft off the putter. I haven't found the ball to be hard or harsh in the least. Holds up well too and is definitely easier to follow in flight and on the ground.

I gotta kick out of seeing this post. I just picked up a dozen of these boys in yellow almost as a joke. I can only imagine what my playing partners are gonna say when I beat 'em with these "ugly-a** range" balls! Don't care. I think they look great in person and will really enjoy being able to tell which one's mine when driving down the fairway (unless I'm behind everyone else!).

I've been playing the white Z-Star since last Spring and think it's the best ball I've ever played. May have to try the Z-Star X this summer, see if it is a little longer. But the Z-Star is pretty long already, with good spin (think drop and stop, not drop and suck back 20-30 feet like Pro V1).

Picked up some ZStar X's and I love them. Played on some very firm greens today and after hitting the first and watching the ball hop like it hit the parking lot I got the hang of it. Great feel and spin and I love the Yellow ball. Makes me wonder what I have been missing playing the non X balls all this time. I know the Srixon's are soft balls but I am really loving the Yellow Tour ZStar X.

At a local shop today and the guy said they are selling the yellow balls like crazy and their Cleveland rep has told them they weren't expecting quite this kind of response in the US. In Asia, they're selling like mad and they're trying to re-allocate some Asian stock to divert to US to help with demand. Anyone on here heard anything remotely like this. I love this ball BTW. I could play the white one if I had to but I prefer the yellow. It gets lots of questions and provokes generally uneasy feelings amongst my playing partners. Will they get beat by me today? Or worse yet, will they get beat by me with a yellow ball. If Srixon made a pink one, I'd play it in a hearbeat. Srixon, are you listening? And for any who think I might be some girl, that is me in my avatar and that beard was grown in 3 days so don't even start walking down that path. I'm a renaissance man, plain and simple.

Hey El, I think it's a bit of a story with some truth. My take on it is Srixon did not understand that the US was ready

to try some proper Coloured Tour balls again, so long as they were to look more advanced than the 80's paint jobs

and they had to play the same as the white balls.

I have been asked for a premium UV Yellow ball through the SMT guys for 2 years and yes some other colours

will work really well if this Performance coloured ball market develops you will see some very cool and interesting

styles that will leave the old school Premium Ivory-White Tour products for dead.

HiViz performance can really help some players and should be taken into account when looking at what can help

you go low (as Titleist puts it biggrin.gif ).

That being the case they probably didn't think Tim Clark would put one into play so early and as such didn't really

plan on having the stock to fulfill the Trial type inquiries this would create. They are not available in Australia and I

don't think you can get them in either Europe or Asia yet, so I would say they got lucky and will be playing catch up

for a while.

The Japanese market will go to approx. 30% Premium coloured product this year and there are now a few colours

in play on their mens and ladies tours, so local demand would be good with this exposure.

Cheers, Boz.

I picked up 2 dozen Yellow Z-Star-X in North New Jersey today. I love the Z STAR X and the neon yellow is whacked.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Really like the Zstar so far it is very comparable to my Pro V1's but the biggest advantage is I have a good ball that I know is mine. No more trying to determine if its my #5 Titelist or someone elses. It was extremely easy to locate under the trees and from a distance. What I'm most excited about is when the cotton flies this will stick out very nice. Same in the fall when all the leaves shiny side up that look like golf balls will no longer be a problem!!

I played tonight with the Z Star X Tour Yellow. I only was able to get in 11 holes due to darkness. I had 5 birdies in 11 holes including birdies on 3 of the last 4 holes.

As for the Tour Yellow, it played as well as the regular Z Star X. It was long off the tee and enough spin to stop the ball on the green. I am sure the two guys I was with thought it weird to see me hit a yellow ball and stop it on a dime. The last two holes I hit a LW to 3 foot and 6 inches respectively. Both times the ball took one hop and then stopped right next to the hole. I was on fire with a YELLOW BALL!!!! I can't wait to psych out my buddies in a few weeks.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Bought a dozen of these today and am taking three sleeves back.

First off, love the yellow. Absolutely love it. I usually game the V1x and would not hesitate to put a yellow Titty into play.

I have never played Srixons before, so let me make that disclaimer.

My main problems with the ball were twofold. First, it was too spinny off the driver, especially into the wind. Had several really balloon on me and I am not a high spin player off the driver so that was weird. Went head to head with the V1x and difference was night and day.

Also, just not enough bite around the green. This is something I could probably learn to play with if I wanted, just wasn't what I was used to.

The ball is durable, no question about that. And doesn't show scuffs at all. Definitely more durable than the V1x. A full sand wedge will usually chew up a titleist pretty good...not this ball.

I liked how it putted as well.

All in all, if you like the white one, I'm guessing you will like the yellow one, but unfortunately, just not the ball for me. I was really hoping this could knock the V1x out of the bag, but just doesn't fit me. Doesn't mean it won't fit you.

[quote name='pops766' date='07 April 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1270691724' post='2366940']
Bought a dozen of these today and am taking three sleeves back.

First off, love the yellow. Absolutely love it. I usually game the V1x and would not hesitate to put a yellow Titty into play.

I have never played Srixons before, so let me make that disclaimer.

My main problems with the ball were twofold. First, it was too spinny off the driver, especially into the wind. Had several really balloon on me and I am not a high spin player off the driver so that was weird. Went head to head with the V1x and difference was night and day.

Also, just not enough bite around the green. This is something I could probably learn to play with if I wanted, just wasn't what I was used to.

The ball is durable, no question about that. And doesn't show scuffs at all. Definitely more durable than the V1x. A full sand wedge will usually chew up a titleist pretty good...not this ball.

I liked how it putted as well.

All in all, if you like the white one, I'm guessing you will like the yellow one, but unfortunately, just not the ball for me. I was really hoping this could knock the V1x out of the bag, but just doesn't fit me. Doesn't mean it won't fit you.
[/quote]

Did you try the z-star or the z-star x? The x is a very comparable ball to the v1x, in fact i feel that the z-star x has a better driver ball flight than the v1x. around the greens they are very similar.