Let the speculation begin on Ping

sandy

Same information from 3 different buyers
As I've traveled the country recently the rumor mill from many of the largest retailers/buyers in the golf industry is that Ping is coming with a whole new line up maybe as soon as this fall (many have inside information the others are cautioned on ordering too much of the present line up). Probably will keep existing G5/i5 offerings, unclear on the S-59s (really hard to move). This new line up is supposed to be very expensive premium material oriented. It has been pretty much accepted for months now that Ping was developing some new irons with different materials other than 17-4ph stainless. But this is the first time they have talked about a expensive driver for Ping---the guess is $500+. I don't however think that a forged iron is in the cards.

I really don't know how they would fair in this market since the only time they tried before was on JAS ti (40+ machining steps) that really was only purchased by the die hard ping fans at $400 per copy and prior to that the ti inserted putters. It should be interesting.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ping does revamp the irons, they are gonna have to offer a forged model. 17-4 is what made me switch from Ping late '04. Possibly a MB and a player's CB, and as far as the driver deal, for anything to shoot $500+, it'd have to be along the lines of TM's TP line. If Ping does change the iron lineup, wedges would need to follow suit, ie. classic design (vokeys, 588's).

And another thing that would have to happen, the prices would have to be reasonable. I'm not old enough to remember (thus the Jr. Boomers tag, 16), but I know that sets of Ping irons used to be around $2,000. The prices would probably stay around $800 for the player's stuff. ;)

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

If Ping does revamp the irons, they are gonna have to offer a forged model. 17-4 is what made me switch from Ping late '04. Possibly a MB and a player's CB, and as far as the driver deal, for anything to shoot $500+, it'd have to be along the lines of TM's TP line. If Ping does change the iron lineup, wedges would need to follow suit, ie. classic design (vokeys, 588's).

And another thing that would have to happen, the prices would have to be reasonable. I'm not old enough to remember (thus the Jr. Boomers tag, 16), but I know that sets of Ping irons used to be around $2,000. The prices would probably stay around $800 for the player's stuff. ;)

2000 dollars a set,you have to be kinding or you are to young to remember the beatles.ping has built irons for the average golfer and still makes them for the average golfer.it is amazing how my players on this sight play proto type or x 100 shafts tipped.at my age i am lucky to find my ball in the fairway.with all the new designed woods and irons out the average golfer still shots in the 90's. i played blades,but that was before cavity back irons came out thanks to karsten.the golf business is like computers now.by the time you buy a set of irons or woods thereis something new out.but as ho's we have to have it.

I think the Ping Tour wedges are a more classic design.

I am pretty sure that Ping usually launches new products in the August timeframe.

L

And another thing that would have to happen, the prices would have to be reasonable. I'm not old enough to remember (thus the Jr. Boomers tag, 16), but I know that sets of Ping irons used to be around $2,000. The prices would probably stay around $800 for the player's stuff. :idhitit:

Well,not realy..Back in the day(the early to mid 80's) Ping was allways a little more than other pro-line gear.Maybe 80.00 to 100.00 more for 8 irons..But other than maybe a set of copper graphite shafted eye 2's 1-SW,2000.00 is a bit much

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

The only $2000 set of ping irons was what you could get for one of the original forged sets a few years ago---those are now many times that now. But since ping started casting irons there has been nothing remotely in that range cost wise---even when you custom ordered the very expensive loomis graphite shafts in their irons. BeCu and BeNi weren't even in that ball park for a 1-L with graphite shafts.

As I've traveled the country recently the rumor mill from many of the largest retailers/buyers in the golf industry is that Ping is coming with a whole new line up maybe as soon as this fall (many have inside information the others are cautioned on ordering too much of the present line up). Probably will keep existing G5/i5 offerings, unclear on the S-59s (really hard to move). This new line up is supposed to be very expensive premium material oriented. It has been pretty much accepted for months now that Ping was developing some new irons with different materials other than 17-4ph stainless. But this is the first time they have talked about a expensive driver for Ping---the guess is $500+. I don't however think that a forged iron is in the cards.

I really don't know how they would fair in this market since the only time they tried before was on JAS ti (40+ machining steps) that really was only purchased by the die hard ping fans at $400 per copy and prior to that the ti inserted putters. It should be interesting.

I've heard similar information. Look for tour players to start using these products this summer. Announcement will be in August from what I hear.

Ping will finally make a concerted effort toward the low handicap players. Look for a signature line of putters that will challenge Scotty. From what I hear they will set the golf world on fire with the materials they will use.

Ping is also rumored to be looking at a new line of senior clubs aimed at the Baby Boomers. These will be more than the traditional high loft and soft combinations of today. Designed for the Boomers and their money.

Can't comment on everything I know and have seen but expect some player's clubs, different metals and more innovative designs. Since John has taken over, he's run the company much more like a traditional business. He also sees how the likes of TM and Cally are cashing in by becoming the technological leaders in the biz and in order for Ping to keep up then Ping will have to expand it's consumer base beyond Ping loyalists. Titleist is all forged now, Cally has a forging and will be adding 2 more models soon, Cleveland uses CMM and of course Miz is a super soft forging --- all this "new" technology is selling. We see it in irons but especially in drivers - carbon, different titaniums, SQ/Hibore designs and shafts. Ping knows that being a leader equates to big money and although the loyalists will always buy Ping products, they need to appeal to more mainstream golfers to take on the likes of Cally, TM, Titleist and Nike.

Expect to see new grinds on the wedges, namely the good ol' Eye2 grinds - I've got a 56/60 tour wedge with the old grind and they are awesome. Also the highly anticipated i5 "blade" should be released - not sure if this will be the old metal or new one yet. A carbon/titanium driver is expected (still in rumor stage though), more exclusive putters, titanium fw and smaller, more compact G5 fw as well. Some of these are a go for the fall but Ping is highly secretive so only the higher ups at Ping know for certain.

Can't comment on everything I know and have seen but expect some player's clubs, different metals and more innovative designs. Since John has taken over, he's run the company much more like a traditional business. He also sees how the likes of TM and Cally are cashing in by becoming the technological leaders in the biz and in order for Ping to keep up then Ping will have to expand it's consumer base beyond Ping loyalists. Titleist is all forged now, Cally has a forging and will be adding 2 more models soon, Cleveland uses CMM and of course Miz is a super soft forging --- all this "new" technology is selling. We see it in irons but especially in drivers - carbon, different titaniums, SQ/Hibore designs and shafts. Ping knows that being a leader equates to big money and although the loyalists will always buy Ping products, they need to appeal to more mainstream golfers to take on the likes of Cally, TM, Titleist and Nike.

Expect to see new grinds on the wedges, namely the good ol' Eye2 grinds - I've got a 56/60 tour wedge with the old grind and they are awesome. Also the highly anticipated i5 "blade" should be released - not sure if this will be the old metal or new one yet. A carbon/titanium driver is expected (still in rumor stage though), more exclusive putters, titanium fw and smaller, more compact G5 fw as well. Some of these are a go for the fall but Ping is highly secretive so only the higher ups at Ping know for certain.

I see John as changing the product cycles more than Karsten did. But John's son is behind a lot of the technology push recently. I just hope they don't go with changeable weights or carbon pieces. Even though Cobra is about to try another carbon attempt it really doesn't help much with today's thin wall ti casting techniques. Only callaway moves significant weight around with their approach (double what is moveable with taylor mades infinite possibilities) but their club sounds like a broken aluminum bat. It certainly hasn't hurt Taylor Made to have the moveable weights but my opinion is it does as much harm as it does good to the average golfer. Get confused changing weights when it doesn't produce what the chart says and then they start changing their swing to try to get the charted trajectory. I must admit I can't think what they might do other than interchangeable shafts or possibly a driver that is made totally out of forged SP-700 ti (most manufacturers only use an insert). Unless you've hit one you can't believe how good one of these feels---a few companies in japan custom make these but they are big bucks and are still forged in japan. No weights, no carbon, but every other spec is available just like an old custom persimmon (sole plate design, bulge, roll, face angle, loft, head size, face depth, color, alignment logo or not, grooves or photo etched grooves in the face (ie. none), etc. etc.).

They definitely need a new material or at least a material finish. I can only guess that some EPA regulations have impacted their present guyson finish as I have seen more and more examples of i5s and G5s with rust in the cavities and some on the faces as well (you even see it in the ping tour players bags--but they don't care). It isn't isolated to the S-59s anymore. Something different as I have 30+ year old ping irons with a similar finish that spent their whole life in San Diego and don't have a spec of rust on them while three sets of S-59s and 1 set of i5s I had were riddled with rust.

Yes, I have seen current wedges with Eye 2+ grinds done on them, pretty nice, but nothing compared to the original.

Ping made it's mark with putters, then they changed the whole ballgame with the Eye 2's. The Tisi driver had a pretty good run, that changed to the Tec, which spawned the FW's that still get played. The G2 driver had quite abit a buzz--just look at how many made players bag's, even to this day. Eye 2/2+ BeCu wedges & regular wedges still make the grade today, look how many pro's play them still. The Eye 2 woods were greatly underrated for their time IMO.....I still play them occassionally and can bust the 5 & 7 woods--GREAT STUFF above

I have tried just about every single Ping offering to this date, some made the cut with great result's, others failed miserably for me for whatever reason. But, since it was Ping, I tried it knowing what they have offered in the past.

The i5's were a surprise to me...I didn't think I would like them that much. The G2 irons remind me of old Eye 2 irons, hence they make my bag in the long irons. The s59's are still a mystery, but many players love them. I just ordered another set & hope the results are different this time around. I can't like the new G5 FW's....just to big for me. G5i putters are alot better than the G2i insert.....the Craz-E & UG-LE putters are very bulletproof putters inside 15ft.

IMO I would like Ping to offer a updated Eye 2 set of irons---little smaller than the G2's, with smaller top lines & Eye 2+ soles. I don't know if they need a forged offering, but you can bet I'd give it a run.

As for putters, something without an insert would be nice.

Wedges that somehow resemble Eye 2 would sell like hotcakes. A SW with Eye2+ grinds & a LW with original Eye 2 grind would just do the trick for me.

Lastly, I LOVE the hosels that the i3/Tec/Si3/G2 woods had. I love open/flat lie angles on woods---so I would bring that back. I know this will not happen, but I liked that custom option. Changed my game because of this concerning metal woods.

Whatever Ping offers, I'm going to try it......... :idhitit:

You forgot the new hybrid for this lineup. :idhitit:

• 4 weeks later...

According to one of the weekely golf rags, PING introduced new "Redwood Series" putters at Winged Foot... in and already the bags of Jimenez and Cabrera. This would play nicely off PING's rich history (Redwood City) and looks to confirm the speculation above. Supposedly available this fall. -X-Stiff. :yahoo:

See following link for other details

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37493

• 2 weeks later...

Look for new ti fw which will be same shape as G5 fw but a tad bigger; new player's irons and composite driver being released to the pros this week - feedback on driver so far is more forgiving than FT3 and same to slightly higher ballspeeds; some small changes to Hoofers; G5 hybrid is still in the works but will probably not make it for fall release; new cabretta leather gloves (very soft and durable - awesome gloves); i5 blades were talked about but got nixed because of the S59 replacement. Thats all for now. We'll see what gets finalized by John in Aug. Should be exciting.

Look for new ti fw which will be same shape as G5 fw but a tad bigger; new player's irons and composite driver being released to the pros this week - feedback on driver so far is more forgiving than FT3 and same to slightly higher ballspeeds; some small changes to Hoofers; G5 hybrid is still in the works but will probably not make it for fall release; new cabretta leather gloves (very soft and durable - awesome gloves); i5 blades were talked about but got nixed because of the S59 replacement. Thats all for now. We'll see what gets finalized by John in Aug. Should be exciting.

Unfortunately I heard the same thing on the driver. Sadly just one more composite attempt for the dust pile. Nobody has made a composite come anywhere near a total ti driver for performance. I've owned every single one of them and they all just don't get it (including the new can't miss HS9 Cobras). To this day the only one that ever performed well was the original Mizuno MP-001--the 370 Tour model. The 400 and 460 versions just joined the rest as far as insipid performers. But I guess it will be a way for ping to charge more for their drivers like they used to in the TISIs heyday. That is until everyone discovers the G5 still outperforms it at $299. Really sad to see Ping go down this road. The other stuff at least sounds interesting. Also their will not be any black chrome irons that got nixed again.

By the way the proof is in the pudding---my count is one comp driver on tour J.B. Holmes---where has he been lately by the way---pulling a Bubba Watson :cheesy:

I guess it was either try the SQ/Hibore route or carbon. So far the tests have been positive but we'll see when it comes out...hopefully it won't be the fiasco the Si3 was. I'd agree with your assesment of the carbon heads with the exception of the FT3. After a few re-shafts, I finally found the right set up for me and it has been producing the highest ballspeeds for me. The sound was awful at first but I've gotten used to it so it's no big deal anymore. I saw an HS9, Fspeed with 9* loft but it looked more like 12* - awful.

Unfortunately I heard the same thing on the driver. Sadly just one more composite attempt for the dust pile. Nobody has made a composite come anywhere near a total ti driver for performance. I've owned every single one of them and they all just don't get it (including the new can't miss HS9 Cobras). To this day the only one that ever performed well was the original Mizuno MP-001--the 370 Tour model.

(My quote button doesn't work)

I think Adams is doing pretty well with their line of composites. :cheesy:

When you say comp driver do you mean Cobra only? If not, I heard Vijay and Phil hit it pretty good. They are chumps anyway.

Technically a good point but as with everything else on the pro tour you don't really think that the drivers that Phil and VJ are playing remotely resemble what is being offered to the public. I'm speaking strictly PGA (not LPGA or Champions) where only JB is playing what essentially is a consumer model. VJ for example has two models (molds ONLY for him). They are 7 and 4 degrees open respectively (10.5 and 9.5 loft) with a slightly longer hosel for further adjustment. While this is technically the same make up of a club as is offered at retail it really is a different club entirely (you won't see any of these at any of the mucho bucks tour clubs for sale sites---unless they are lifted out of VJs bag). And Mickelsons while much closer than VJs still aren't in the class of JBs. Look real closely at the "window" where the fade/neutral/draw exists on the retail(removeable for fine adjustment). Additionally they also have little initials in or by the fade/neutral/draw dots. Much more sophisticated weighting is going on compared to the public model tour or otherwise (not just three metal slabs of different weight being moved around (more segements going up and down as well). Lastly please get a darrell survey and count the total number of comps. in play on the tour. Performance reasons are why Taylor Made has never brought their japanese comp. here.

By the way the materials are the same as retail. They aren't using NASA approved carbon for the crowns or unobtanium much higher grade titanium (as some would like you to believe--get out that check book) on the tour clubs. But you can do so much to change the entire characteristics of a club with weighting and spec adjustment and slight increases in things like hosel length.

Plus at retail if the price is right people will buy a comp. driver. Witness Adams and their attempt at trying to get big bucks for their comp. drivers. No Sale but when they lowered the price people were much more receptive.

But the real bottom line also remains sales and comps. evidently do not offer the $100 they demand.

I guess it was either try the SQ/Hibore route or carbon. So far the tests have been positive but we'll see when it comes out...hopefully it won't be the fiasco the Si3 was. I'd agree with your assesment of the carbon heads with the exception of the FT3. After a few re-shafts, I finally found the right set up for me and it has been producing the highest ballspeeds for me. The sound was awful at first but I've gotten used to it so it's no big deal anymore. I saw an HS9, Fspeed with 9* loft but it looked more like 12* - awful.

I do agree that with many many shaft trys (even though the optifit system is a good idea I have a friend who swears the finished club he got still doesn't perform the way the shaft and head from the optifit cart did) the FT-3 can be a serviceable driver (if you can get by the noise). My only problem with it for me it still is many yards behind the X-460 with the OEM shaft. I could only get the FT-3 to work with a Diamana shaft which put it in TM TP price range with no adjustment.

it's on a couple websites..easy to get.. got this from hamegg

Still don't see the S-58 anywhere on the club. Also unfortuneately it looks like there is a black plug insert after all. Get out the glue. I can see these being an addition to the line but they sure have no resemblance to the S-59s either in traditional shape or size at all. Does look like it is a new finish which is long overdue.