2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Course Demeanor

I was walking 9 holes yesterday by myself at a local course I frequent during the week. I ended up shooting 40, I usually shoot low to mid 40's. I found that I am much better when I play alone. I think it is because I am much more intense and focused. I guess what I am asking is if anyone else feels the same way?

I don't want to be distant or rude to my regular foursome on saturdays but I know I play much better when I shut myself off and focus only on my next shot. Should I just play the way I prefer and tell them I mean no ill feelings?

I just want to shoot the lowest scores I can.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sam_o' date='11 April 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1270960825' post='2372968']
Should I just play the way I prefer and tell them I mean no ill feelings?

[/quote]

Seems to me that the simple answer to your question is, "Yes."

It's silly for you to play in a way that doesn't please you. And your thought about telling your friends (in advance) that you're, "Going to try something new to see if it helps me improve" should certainly preclude any confusion or concern on your friends' part.

[quote name='sam_o' date='10 April 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1270960825' post='2372968']
I was walking 9 holes yesterday by myself at a local course I frequent during the week. I ended up shooting 40, I usually shoot low to mid 40's. I found that I am much better when I play alone. I think it is because I am much more intense and focused. I guess what I am asking is if anyone else feels the same way?

I don't want to be distant or rude to my regular foursome on saturdays but I know I play much better when I shut myself off and focus only on my next shot. Should I just play the way I prefer and tell them I mean no ill feelings?

[/quote]
I think that you can do whatever you want. But remember there is more to golf than just playing the game.

To me golf is also a social event where I can hang out with my friends and enjoy time away from the grind. Sure I want to play well when I tee it up, but I would find it to be rude of me to tell my friends that I am going to focus only on my game, and that was it. That is what tournaments are designed for.

Seems like I would be finding myself out of the group after some time. I just don't think it would be fun for the other guys if you are trying to be Nick Faldo out there during the weekly foursome. Although depending on your group it could be quite comical to see you trying to be super intense,focused, and non-social on the course and shooting 86. Might give them some material for weekly a ribbing. I really don't know since I don't you or your buddies and the dynamic.

It is a hard one because I know how seriously people can take this game. I just think you might play better and enjoy yourself more if you take it easy and learn to have fun, while also focusing when you need to.

Either way, good luck in your pursuits and whatever path you decide to go on.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

If you play tournaments or wanting to play some, you should play with your foursome or other foursomes once in a while to get used to the pace of play because the slower pace can begin to mess with your game a bit if your not used to it. Get them into some games that make every shot count for something.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I play a lot better when I play by myself too. I think it has to do with me being able to move at my pace that I feel comfortable with, and also the fact that I can think about my next shot while on my way to the ball instead of BS'ing with my buddies. I usually play a few rounds by myself a week, and that is when I really work on my game and try to shoot good scores.

I still play with my buddies every chance I get, usually on weekends. To me golf isn't always about shooting the lowest score possible. I love to go out there with my friends and have a good time. If I don't play my best while I am with them then oh well, I still had as much if not more fun then if I was playing by myself. I still try to be competitive and play the best I can when I am playing with them, but if I don't then I don't really get down on myself. I have a whole different mindset when I am playing with my buddies. I am out there more for the social aspect and to just have a good time with good friends.

Last year was the first year I got serious about becoming a better golfer. I played about half a dozen rounds alone and each one was amongst by better scores. Like breakin' left said, it is about pace. When I'm playing alone I don't hesitate to step back when I'm over the ball if things don't feel quite right or take an extra moment or two to read a putt, where as with a group I'll tend just to go ahead in an effort to play quick (which is foolish because errant shots and extra strokes add more time to a round than taking a few extra moments to get things right would).

I'm also guilty of letting my ego get involved when I'm with a group. For instance, hitting a 7 iron on par 3 because another player did when I really should be hitting a 6. Or going for the green in 2 on a par 5 that I really should be laying up on, because a friend bets a beer that I can't hit the green.

So one of my golf goals this year is to be (for lack of a better term) self-involved on the course. Basically, play my game, at my pace (within reason) and cut the chatter as I near my ball so as to refocus.

I play a lot by my self, but when I play with my family or buddies or guys from the club I focus even more. I'll be myself as far as being social and having a good time but when it's my turn I settle in and get focused.

When i'm by myself on the course I decide before the round if it's a "practice round" or a "serious round" and then go from there. That being said when I'm playing with others I always play a serious round. Like I said, you just need to learn to put things out of your mind and hit the shot that is in front of you.

Only you can decide what to do, do what is best for your game if you want to get better.

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

I play solo all the the time and generally play better than when in a foursome. The key to me is to bring your solo skill to a group setting, which I am starting to do. Its fun to go low by yourself, but much better in front of a gallery. As well put above, there is more to golf than scoring but, also the interaction and companionship of people enjoying the same pursuit.

I play a lot of my rounds alone, and tend to score much better on those. In fact, my lowest 3 scores ever have all been while playing alone. The problem is that this seems to make my handicap lower than it perhaps should be, since when I play with a foursome I tend to end up shooting a higher score.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Good to hear other golfer's opinions on this.

I can see all sides of it. Some guys enjoy the social aspect of it more than the competitive aspect and some are the opposite. Some like both equally. I guess my deal is that I am very competitive and I expect to do well at everything I do. I have been playing golf seriously for about a year and I am hooked. I am just very determined to become scratch.

I shot a 36 monday by myself. I went yesterday with my 2 older brothers and shot a 38. I guess it's possible to thrive in either situation. I just need to find a better balance, I guess.

Thanks for all the replies.

I score WAAYY better when I'm alone, as no one sees my foot wedges and the 5 foot gimmes ;-)

Kidding.

My all time best rounds were when playing with someone else. Of course, my all time worst rounds were when playing with someone else. I have a decidedly boring narrow scoring range when playing alone. And until yesterday, all of my scores for the year have been between 78-82 (all on coures with ratings between 72-73, 130's slope).

I *need* to play for SOMETHING to score really well, it seems. I just kinda hack it around when nothing is on the line (and I don't need big bucks, just a buck a side will do).

Do you walk or ride with your regular group? I tend to shoot better scores walking than riding regardless of if I'm alone or with a group. I've been playing alone a lot lately since I joined a club and am still working on finding a group. While the peacefulness of it all lets me focus on a shot, I can't ride off of playing with someone better than me for that little push.

I feel I do play slightly better when i play alone, but then when i make a good shot or sink that 30 footer to save par, there is no-one to turn to and smile and laugh with... for me I prefer the social aspect over the stroke or two improvement from playing alone... Maybe if i start to shoot a much better score my views will change LOL.

[quote name='sam_o' date='10 April 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1270960825' post='2372968']

[/quote]

What you're experiencing is not uncommon. I am aloof when playing with others, including friends. I have a minor case of ADD making concentration very important for me. The more difficult a course is the better I will play; it sort of forces me to concentrate.

I want to shoot in the low 70's, and keep mistakes to a minimum, while most golfers don't care what they shoot and are out there for social reasons. I too will walk or take a separate cart so I can stay away from all the crazy conversations and distractions that might be nothing to others.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

The simple solution here is for likeminded golfers to play together. Focused, intense, and not speaking much the entire four hours you're out there? Find three other guys who approach the game the same way. Like to chat it up, have a few beers, and enjoy "guy time" with buddies between shots? Find three other guys who approach the game that way.

OMG, this is what I was trying to talk about in another thread. I have no problem at all, concentrating on my game for four plus hours and saying essentially nothing to the people I play with. I too worry about how my intensity is seen by other people. I agree that I would like to play with like-minded players, but honestly, they are hard to find.

For those of you that have dedicated golf partners, I hope you value them.

I know that I, and the original poster, might appear rude. Hey, I'll toss back as many bevvy's as you want, AFTER the round. I'll party till light if you want...just let me play my ball without un-necessary conversation...which is to say...anything more than "you're away", "nice shot," "dang, look at the (r###) on her."

Yesterday I my buddy and I found ourselves with a couple of chatty Cathie's... I kept as far away from them as possible. I get it makes me seem unfriendly, but who really cares, I'll never see them again. As for friends, they know, more importantly accept how I choose to play golf... quietly focused, and are fine with it. That's what real friends do.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

This entire thread validifies why I do not play with my closest buddies.

They go play to get away from girlfriends/fiancees and to drink beers and laugh since being at the bar at 10am on Sunday makes you a loser but drinking at the course is a-okay.

I go put to play, period.

A few times a year I go with them and have fun, usually work-related tournaments or fund-raisers but typically I have guys from my league, my brother and some of his guys, and my fiancee whom actually go out to play.

I've on occasion left the two-some my brother and I have gotten matched up with by just telling them you are ruining my round (wanting to share stories, drink, play slow, etc), we are teeing off here, you wait and we'll be clear in 5 minutes.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

MS... I've moved on a few times as well. You nailed it too regarding "why" many guys play golf.. to get away from something. They are out there to joke around and rag on each other, and happy carding 90+. Many just want to break 100, while I am looking for even par or better.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

No doubt, yet people get offended at how "serious" some of us take our hobbies . . . let me see so far this year I've spent probably $2K and 100 hours practicing away from the course, yeah I'd say taking my scores on the course seriously is warranted.

I take my basketball leagues serious too but even the guys who travel with me to play ball take golf as time away from whatever and just joke around out there.

It reminds me of the movie Old School: "come on Mitch I need this . . . oh yeah, I play golf on Sunday, I f****** hate golf, don't black-ball me . . ."

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Yep, I agree. I won't share how much I spend on golf, suffice to say it's considerably more when compared to average Joe mid-hi cap who likes to joke about while playing his once a month to maybe ten rounds a year. Same was true when I competed in road cycling and a few other sports. I've always wanted to do my best, that typically meant playing with people that are as intense as me. Golf however allows considerably bit more flexibility when it comes to playing with diversely skilled golfers, and that's party why I took up the game.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

LOL less banter and taunts from fellow peers will help any golfer.

there are weekend golfers then there are SERIOUS weekend golfers. I'm one of those SERIOUS ones' that need focus and concentration. so when I play alone it helps with focus and concentration compared to when I'm with my peers just having a "good ole' time."