Skycaddie SGX Owners/Users thread

[quote name='eugd' date='28 April 2010 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1272468600' post='2406095']
Is there a way to find out when the newest Firmware updates are available or does SGX know when you sync it?
[/quote]

When I set mine up last night it did a pretty long update which I assume was for the firmware.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning to perhaps order the Skycaddie SGX from Golfio.com, price $399 with free second day air shipping, but I wonder if the ones they have for sale are pre or post OS fix? I really DON'T need the frustration of trying to go through a lot of fixes myself to get the darned thing to work. Currently I have an SG3 which actually works just fine, but I am fascinated by all of the additional thing the SGX will do.

[quote name='rkruff' date='26 April 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1272319827' post='2402372']
Is anyone having issues with the (3) top buttons. They are all loose and the left one does not look like it will stay attached much longer. Is it mine or is it an issue with all?
[/quote]

Noticed it today....very poor craftsmanship. Gotta tell you - I may go back to an SG5 and pick up a Leupold GX-1.

I just returned from my golf vacation at Bay Hill Club and Lodge and the SGX worked almost flawlessly (no crashes but see below for flaw). For both rounds, I was required to have a forecaddie (same one both days and one of their best). The first day was cart path only so the forecaddie would give us our yardages so we could bring the right club. Most of the time the yardages were the same or a yard difference. Never more than two yards. The second day, it was 90 degrees so we decided to give it a really good test. We would compare yardages and same thing, same or one yard difference.

I also used the interactive Holevue and I will give that a thumbs up. It can give you yardages to targets but where I found it most useful was placing it in the fairway to determine what yardage I wanted to hit off the tee to get to my favored yardages for my second shot. This is a very good course management tool.

I did not like the three buttons along the bottom of the screen. They are too small and did not give enough feedback to sense you clicked it. The only flaw I found was when I got to the yardage that it should switch to intelligreen, it switched to target view. A programming bug for them to fix.

Also the replacement USB cover was waiting for me at my door when I returned home.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

No, there's not. But the SGX does come with a back you can put on it that has the "button" for you to attach into the provided belt clip.

If you have the SkyCaddie cart mount, they will be issuing an upgrade kit that will give you the necessary cradle for the SGX to fit into your current cart mount. They've not yet released that though. They've said it should be out soon and I noticed a couple days ago that SGX accessories were starting to show up on the SkyGolf website.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

It's definately the same button as before. So if you were using something that the button fits into before you are golden.

Also to all of you waiting for your new sgx's to arrive. When you sync the first time you may get a message that says that it needs to update with a big download. Follow all the prompts and then and let me stress this----BE PATIENT AND WAIT WHILE IT UPDATES TO THE SGX----- . Sorry not trying to yell, but I think a lot of people on the skygolf forums are having issues that are self inflicted. When I updated mine it looked like a previous poster here said "locked up and frozen". Windows even had the famous "not responding" on the upper border. But when I looked at my hard drive, it was obviously doing something. So instead of trying to close anything out, I left it alone for about 5 minutes and voila, the download finished and the sgx formatted and everything went well from then on. The update still took about 10 more minutes, but the point is don't get overexcited if it "looks" like it's frozen. Give it some time and let it do it's thing. I don't think there is anything worse for a electronic device than interupting it during a firmware update.

Good Luck.

[quote name='jnradioactive' date='24 April 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1272148890' post='2398524']<snip...> You do sound like a software developer though... blame the users not the software...
[/quote]

Being an IT professional myself, this ticked my funnybone just right LOL...

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Guys

I've been following this thread pretty closely so hopefully this hasn't already been addressed and I just missed it. Nonetheless, is there a way to change the screen color like you can on the SG5? The Onyx background might be cool looking but to me it's always been the hardest to see. I can't find anywhere how to change it though. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

[quote name='vernon' date='30 April 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1272631284' post='2409747']
Guys

I've been following this thread pretty closely so hopefully this hasn't already been addressed and I just missed it. Nonetheless, is there a way to change the screen color like you can on the SG5? The Onyx background might be cool looking but to me it's always been the hardest to see. I can't find anywhere how to change it though. Can anybody help? Thanks.
[/quote]

Over in the SkyGolf forums, a couple members of the Support Team have mentioned that they are working on the ability to have "themes" on the SGX. This mostly stemmed from people who said the text was too small to read on the screen.

See a post from JayDog [url="http://clubsg.skygolf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2864&highlight=text"]here[/url].

[i][size="1"]*Edit: Mike pwned me on this one... beat me to it.[/size][/i]

I have my SGX and after reading this thread, realized there was a version 6.0 -something. When I click my caddie sync icon and pulls up, it read version 6.0 and I can synch or so it seems. Everything is synching on computer and sgx screedn but when I disconnect and look under the id/version icon on the sgx, it still says I only have version 1.0.7 --so it acts like it's synching and tells me to disconnect, but I haven't seend anything that tells me I've got the new version. Any help? thanks

That's normal.... The software that loads on your PC is Caddie Sync- that is V6.0.6.

The software on your Skycaddie SGX is 1.0.7 (I don't have mine in front of me right now)- I believe this is the version of Windows CE- the operating system on the SGX- that is running things. There may also be a different firmware version on the SGX which is the software installed in the hardware that probably runs things like the GPS (I'm speculating, of course). I believe the firmware is V0.1.7.

So it is normal to have different software versions.

Does that answer your question?

I believe that when you choose a course you go to Hole #D for the driving range. I could be wrong, but I think that the functionality on the SGX is to be included in a future update.

I would suggest that any one who is thinking about getting this unit to hold off until alot of the issues get cleared up. As it stands for me, this unit has less functionality than the SG5. Here is a list of some problems that I have yet to get cleared up.

1-USB cover breaks off easily. Over 8 pages of people with this issue on clubsg. Apparently my replacement is on it's way.
2-As of today, I can not transfer scores from the sgx to clubsg. There are about 6 people that have this issue so far. Talked with skycaddie support (after 47min wait). First he said I didn't have an upgraded membership to clubsg and I needed to purchase one. I had to instruct him to their own webpage that it's included with sgx membership birdie plans and up. Finally he came back and said that skygolf is aware of this issue and they are working on it. It also deletes your score info so you better note it before trying to sync. THIS HAS BEEN FIXED. THANKS SKYGOLF!
3-Auto change to green view at a certain distance does not work. I have been unable to find an official response from skygolf on this and still have no response from the support page email that I sent them. I have tried suggestions from other users and still it does not work.
4-30K preloaded courses do not stay on the unit after you subscribe to the birdie plan, only your state remains. Even though they state they are good for 30 days. I have emailed skygolf support on this and haven't received a response yet. This makes no sense since you get this for the basic price. Seems like if you have any plan, you should get the minimum 30K preloaded course info for front, middle back.
5-You can not map your own course info.
6-You do not have the driving range data.
7-Extremely limited course selection for holevue in the metro detroit area. Yet, depending upon which site you most belive, Michigan has the most golf courses. I played over 40 different courses here last year and only 3 of them have holevue. I knew this going in, but I wish they could generate some type of regional time plan for rollout. You can not tell me they don't know what courses they are working on.

I purchased this unit knowing that there may be some problems, but I think many of these are beyond what should have been suspected. Apparently there is no QC when building these. How could you ship out product with the wrong OS? This means that they have the capability of producing something with a different OS, if so, then there should have been some type of control plan in place to test for this such as an end of line tester. I would love to see a PFMEA(process failure mode effects analysis) for this. A simple cover for a micro usb that does not function. This is design 101, test and design for operater usage. Where is the DFMEA (design failure mode effects analysis) for this? How this could have been that poorly designed is unreal.

I am still holding out hope that they get this straightened out quickly.

SO envious of all of you with the SGX. We UK and European People are still waiting for them to land (literally). Obviously reading this forum they've had some issues with the SGX which have delayed the launch over here. Then we had that Volcanic Ash stuff which prevented the shipments leaving the US to come here and now this week Skygolf have started moving their UK headquarters to a larger premises and will then become the European Base. So this means no SGX's shipping to retailers until the end of May!!!!

I got my replacement in the mail a few days ago and played 9 with it today.
I am a little underwhelmed on the features it has. It seems that the mark ball function is only good for counting strokes.
I was thinking for 400 bucks. I would get to upload a lot more information from the SGX to PC. Like where I hit all my shot like to the left or right of the holes automatically, but you have to input where your drive landed. I also thougt it would of tallied the distances of shot taken and jotted markers down on a satelite image or something. I dunno maybe I am expecting to much lol.
I also thought that the advertised Holovue was the backbone of this gps but I cant find any holovue courses in my neck of the woods.

Really all it does is tell you yardages, keeps score, and uploads information based on the information you input and throws a percentage equation to it. This is my first GPS so I guess I was just expecting more.

"7-Extremely limited course selection for holevue in the metro detroit area. Yet, depending upon which site you most belive, Michigan has the most golf courses. I played over 40 different courses here last year and only 3 of them have holevue. I knew this going in, but I wish they could generate some type of regional time plan for rollout. You can not tell me they don't know what courses they are working on."

Well, let me add a comment on this point:

The first thing I want to say is that I have an SGX, I have played several rounds with it, it has some problems, but overall I like it, I feel that I am eventually going to love it, and I certainly plan to keep it.

I am a snowbird. I play in Arizona and Minnesota. We have seven courses in our Arizona retirement community, which is where I am currently. Last week none of them had Holeview capability. This week one of them does. In an absolutely amazing coincidence, it just happens to be the only one of the seven that sells Skycaddie (or any other brand) units! This course doesn't get the most play, but it got Holeview first.

I play courses throughout Southeast Minnesota. Not a one of them has Intelligreen Pro or Holeview.

I think that what Skygolf is doing with these features, particularly Holeview, is misleading and tacky. Holeview is prominently featured in all of their advertising. Yet you only find out about the limited status of the advanced features, including the always-illustrated Holeview feature, if you read the fine print. And once you are a customer, you don't even get to know an approximate timeframe for the advanced features to be available for your favorite courses; you don't know if the timeframe is days, weeks, months, or years.

One piece of possible good news is that I think - not sure - that ,in order to get Holeview available on the course I talked about, above, it was not necessary for Skygolf people to walk the course again. If they can create these new features from information they already have on file it is going to go a lot faster. But this is only speculation on my part, as I don't think they will say, one way or the other, if this is true or false.

Interesting situation.

[quote name='torbill' date='01 May 2010 - 02:37 AM' timestamp='1272695821' post='2411501']One piece of possible good news is that I think - not sure - that ,in order to get Holeview available on the course I talked about, above, it was not necessary for Skygolf people to walk the course again. If they can create these new features from information they already have on file it is going to go a lot faster. But this is only speculation on my part, as I don't think they will say, one way or the other, if this is true or false.[/quote]

This is true as they [i]have[/i] said so in their forums. The second page of the thread located [url="http://clubsg.skygolf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3024&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15"]here[/url] has some valuable information from a SkyGolf Support team member. A couple quotes from that thread are below:

[quote]At launch, QuickVue was not availabe for the SGX. We are currently working to release QuickVue for the SGX where Interactive HoleVue With Zoom is NOT available. If Interactive HoleVue With Zoom is available for a course, it will replace QuickVue.

I do not have a timeline for when QuickVue will be available, but it will be soon. Also, we are working very hard to release Interactive HoleVue With Zoom for our entire SkyCourse Library. We producing hundreds per week. Keep checking your Course list.[/quote]

[quote]arjayel, I have not experienced any problems with my battery life. I work for SkyGolf, but I also play golf and so far my experience has been very positive. I played a round Sunday and after three and a half hours, the battery still had three-quarters left.

Keep waiting for HoleVue. [b]We have all the information we need to produce HoleVue [/b]once we map a course using the survey-grade GPS backpacks. It will just take time to produce it. Keep checking back and good luck with your purchase! [/quote]

Got my SGX 2 days ago and played for the first time yesterday. Like it, and will eventually love it. Its better than all the negative comments here.
1. Price. Going price for most good GPS units is $400. I paid $315 - $120 rebate for my SG5, so $195 for a top line golf GPS.
2. Startup. Good, not great. Had to reboot computer once, but then worked and synced fine.
3. Unit. Looks nice. USB cover doesn't look like it will break. (better than the Garmin) Unit came with free screen protectors and Carrying case, which I haven't seen before.
4. Performance. Good, but will be better. Took longer than SG5 to find satellites, and was slow to update yardage as I moved. Font is a bit small for me, but sounds like skycaddie is working on this. Screen visability great. Hole advance worked perfectly. Ability to move pin on green nice.
5. Features. Good, will be great. I play in Arizona. Have 30 courses on my favorites. All but one have intelligreen. 7 have intelligreen pro. 7 have holeview. There was only 1 with holeview 6 months ago. Seems like they are going by popularity and noteriety of course. My unit still has all the preloaded course, although I currently have a "eagle" membership.

Overall I like it. Will love it if I can get more courses with holeview, and more options for background and font size.

Callaway GBB Driver
Callaway GBB 5 wood
TM Aeroburner 5 hybrids
Ping Anser irons 6-PW
Ping I20 UWTI, SW
Callaway MD PM 58, 64
Ping Ketch mid heavy
Callaway Supersoft, Bridgestone extrasoft

[quote name='wbond' date='30 April 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1272653732' post='2410413']
I would suggest that any one who is thinking about getting this unit to hold off until alot of the issues get cleared up. As it stands for me, this unit has less functionality than the SG5. Here is a list of some problems that I have yet to get cleared up.

1-USB cover breaks off easily. Over 8 pages of people with this issue on clubsg. Apparently my replacement is on it's way.
2-As of today, I can not transfer scores from the sgx to clubsg. There are about 6 people that have this issue so far. Talked with skycaddie support (after 47min wait). First he said I didn't have an upgraded membership to clubsg and I needed to purchase one. I had to instruct him to their own webpage that it's included with sgx membership birdie plans and up. Finally he came back and said that skygolf is aware of this issue and they are working on it. It also deletes your score info so you better note it before trying to sync. THIS HAS BEEN FIXED. THANKS SKYGOLF!
3-Auto change to green view at a certain distance does not work. I have been unable to find an official response from skygolf on this and still have no response from the support page email that I sent them. I have tried suggestions from other users and still it does not work.
4-30K preloaded courses do not stay on the unit after you subscribe to the birdie plan, only your state remains. Even though they state they are good for 30 days. I have emailed skygolf support on this and haven't received a response yet. This makes no sense since you get this for the basic price. Seems like if you have any plan, you should get the minimum 30K preloaded course info for front, middle back.
5-You can not map your own course info.
6-You do not have the driving range data.
7-Extremely limited course selection for holevue in the metro detroit area. Yet, depending upon which site you most belive, Michigan has the most golf courses. I played over 40 different courses here last year and only 3 of them have holevue. I knew this going in, but I wish they could generate some type of regional time plan for rollout. You can not tell me they don't know what courses they are working on.

I purchased this unit knowing that there may be some problems, but I think many of these are beyond what should have been suspected. Apparently there is no QC when building these. How could you ship out product with the wrong OS? This means that they have the capability of producing something with a different OS, if so, then there should have been some type of control plan in place to test for this such as an end of line tester. I would love to see a PFMEA(process failure mode effects analysis) for this. A simple cover for a micro usb that does not function. This is design 101, test and design for operater usage. Where is the DFMEA (design failure mode effects analysis) for this? How this could have been that poorly designed is unreal.

I am still holding out hope that they get this straightened out quickly.
[/quote]

I still have all 30k after I upgraded to the Eagle Plan