2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie SGX Owners/Users thread

Thanks for the response. I upgraded to Snow Leopard and this was the key. With SL, the SGX has worked without a hitch. Users can upgrade to SL from any other OS version for 29 bucks, so it might be the way to go for any other frustrated Mac users that don't want to wait for a software fix. I think Tiger is completely bugged/unsupported by SGX, to be honest...

At any rate, played a fully mapped course yesterday. Pretty cool. Not groundbreaking, but fun. Love the digital scoring and the way things get dumped over to Club SG with a simple sync. The experience is not nearly as good without HoleVue, but the distances are extremely precise and helpful no matter what. A very useful tool to know how far you hit your clubs, exactly. It's hard to imagine playing as well without this information, now.

Like you, I can't wait for the SmartClub. I think that will really push the envelope for some hardcore golfers like us and just really be a lot of fun. Only other knock I'd register on the SGX is the build, particularly the buttons, which can be a little hit or miss. For the premium price, you'd like the unit to be built like a tank.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='yahtzee' date='20 April 2010 - 10:38 AM' timestamp='1271774294' post='2389946']
[quote name='style2k7' date='20 April 2010 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1271740116' post='2389532']
[quote name='yahtzee' date='19 April 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1271718301' post='2388798']
Anyone coming from an SG5 that was used to the non-list view? Can it be turned off?
[/quote]

Yes list view can be turned off.
[/quote]

How?
[/quote]

See Section 3.3 - Target Views on page 10...

[url="http://www.skygolf.com/skygolf/support/%7E/media/PDFs/SGX_UserGuide.ashx"]User Guide[/url]

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

[quote name='Shaank0' date='17 April 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1271561309' post='2385774']
I bought 2, one for me and one for my dad. I went to charge both right out of the package and only 1 worked. The other just gave a blank white screen which Customer support said the software must of not been loaded. So they are shipping me a new one which will be here Monday ( pretty good service).

Haven't gotten to play a round with them but I am excited to get out there and use them. I just hope I dont encounter anymore problems.
[/quote]

Well I finally called back to see why my SGX hasn't arrived, when they said it would arrive on Monday. They told me all shipments are put on hold so that the problems does not occur again. So they are going through all of them. When asked on the ETA he said as soon as possible.

So who knows. Pretty upset right now.

It seems to me that you would have a fail safe for these problems occurring. What really make me even more irritated is that they designed a driver that is not approved by Microsoft on Win 7 64 bit systems

(yes there is a way to get around it, but you also risk the security of your computer, not to mention some people dont navigate around a computer very well).

It seems that if I was going to make a product that interacts with a PC or MAC that I might wanna get that done before the product is shipped out.

I was OK with bugs as it is a new product. but clearly Skycaddie does not have it together whatsoever.

According to the skygolf media release:

[b]Windows 7 64-Bit Driver Issue – IN PROCESS
[/b][i]ESTIMATED FIX AVAILABLE — APRIL 21, 2010[/i]

The drivers for the SGX are safe and completed Microsoft certification prior to its release. However, these drivers have not fully propagated through Microsoft’s validation servers so that your operating system recognizes these SkyCaddie drivers as valid and safe for installation. Until this process is complete, the operating system will treat the drivers as unsigned.
While most versions of Microsoft Windows allow you to install unsigned drivers, the 64-bit version of Windows 7 is tighter on security and will block any unsigned drivers.

It sounds like the drivers were done prior to release, just got mucked up in the redtape that is microsoft. I can't help but wonder if that is why it works for some and not for others.

I was able to do a workaround with vista 64 bit. It will be nice when it's not a workaround. But I haven't lost any functionallity that I know of. So far the device has worked perfectly on the course, and having come from a sg3, the difference is just unbelievable in the pure looks of the machine. Interactive hole view is totally cool.

Got it on Friday.............

Played 9 holes on Sunday............

Another 18 Holes on Monday............

SOLD IT ON EBAY IN 10 MIN. ON MONDAY NIGHT!

Hated it!!!!!

Not sure what you Skycaddie people are all excited about?

PRO- fits nice in my hand

CONS- Everything else
My course is mapped by skycaddie but not for the good view. All I got was a stupid greens view and the holes were listed as lines of text with yardage and cryptic descriptions of targets.
EXTREMELY cumbersome to navigate around with the buttons and joystick. Too many steps to go where I wanted be on the unit
I kept thinking it was a touch screen and then remembered it was not and why does it always ask me if I wanted to go to the next hole after I had set it up to automatically go to the next hole. Very poor software design.

Very glad to be rid of it (Made $45 over what I paid for it)

Sorry if I have upset the die hard Skycaddie users but it was not my cup tea.

Got my SGX today. Navigated through loading CaddieSync on my Windows 7 64 bit, activated, registered, bought my membership, upgraded software, loaded my courses, and the plugged it in to charge with no issues. I'll take it out tomorrow for a round. It seems pretty straightforward to me. I'm looking forward to giving it a go on the course!

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

The update promised by SkyCaddie is early and now available. Also not mentioned in the info, Caddiesync for Mac was updated to version 3.0.1.

[size="2"]We have just released the following updates for SGX customers:

CaddieSync (Version 6.0.6)
----------------------------------------------------------------
- Includes Microsoft-signed drivers*

Customers using CaddieSync version 6.0.0 and higher will automatically receive this update. Those
with an older version of CaddieSync will need to manually download and install CaddieSync.

Microsoft Windows CE (OS Version 0.1.8)
- Sync process improved between the SGX and CaddieSync
- SGX Lock-up issue should be resolved

The OS update and the SGX Application update have been combined and will download and install
together the next time you sync your SGX with CaddieSync. The update is 15MB in size, so it will take a
little longer than usual to download and install this update onto your SGX.

SkyCaddie SGX Application (Version 1.0.7)
- Exception Error caused during the Preload Course selection process has been fixed
- When SGX is connected to the computer, a Sync option is now available on the Main Menu (Left Key)
- Interactive HoleVue now shows your location on the hole and updates as you move
- Line color changed from red to yellow to improve readability in direct sunlight

Any issues not addressed with these updates are still being researched and a resolution will be
forthcoming.

Regards,
SkyGolf Customer Support

* Customers with Vista/Windows 7 64-bit computers who disabled driver signature enforcement should
re-enable this setting.[/size]

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Used mine for one round and it worked perfect.

Went to turn it on today and now it won't even boot up! It gives me an .exe error and I can't get it to charge or sync. Now what the hell do I do?? Guess I'm calling tech support in the morning.

A soon as I saw that the SGX was Windows based I started thinking about selling my 3 day old SGX... Wow do I hate Windows products.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='yahtzee' date='20 April 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1271818538' post='2391483']
How do you map a new course with the SGX? I used that feature with my SG5 to map my range.
[/quote]

It's a feature that will be available within the next 30 days. That's at least in part why the basic green info for all of the courses comes on the SGX from the factory.

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='20 April 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1271815038' post='2391382']
The update promised by SkyCaddie is early and now available. Also not mentioned in the info, Caddiesync for Mac was updated to version 3.0.1.

[size="2"]We have just released the following updates for SGX customers:

CaddieSync (Version 6.0.6)
- Includes Microsoft-signed drivers*

Customers using CaddieSync version 6.0.0 and higher will automatically receive this update. Those
with an older version of CaddieSync will need to manually download and install CaddieSync.

Don'tgo near this update, it is worse that the original crap that was sent from the factory OS.

Microsoft Windows CE (OS Version 0.1.8)
- Sync process improved between the SGX and CaddieSync
- SGX Lock-up issue should be resolved

The OS update and the SGX Application update have been combined and will download and install
together the next time you sync your SGX with CaddieSync. The update is 15MB in size, so it will take a
little longer than usual to download and install this update onto your SGX.

SkyCaddie SGX Application (Version 1.0.7)
- Exception Error caused during the Preload Course selection process has been fixed
- When SGX is connected to the computer, a Sync option is now available on the Main Menu (Left Key)
- Interactive HoleVue now shows your location on the hole and updates as you move
- Line color changed from red to yellow to improve readability in direct sunlight

Any issues not addressed with these updates are still being researched and a resolution will be
forthcoming.

Regards,
SkyGolf Customer Support

* Customers with Vista/Windows 7 64-bit computers who disabled driver signature enforcement should
re-enable this setting.[/size]
[/quote]

this update is worse than the original os factory crap that was sent out,stay away,now I can't even sync anymore.

[quote name='tommypar72' date='19 April 2010 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1271723343' post='2388974']
[quote name='Greenbird' date='19 April 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1271722502' post='2388941']
Played my first round today with my SGX.

No problems at all. Scoring and hole selection worked flawlessness and yardages to the green were great.

I was not very impressed with the HoleVue though. The course detail just didn't seem to be very good, which made picking targets hard. This was with a course that I am very familiar with. I don't know how reliable it would be on a new course.

On long par 5s, as above, the HoleVue on T-shots wasn't very helpful, but it was nice to know layup yardages on my second shots.
[/quote]

Thought I had a problem when I couldn't sync until I went to the golf course and the thing just worked flawlessly . How do you activate hole vue though? The course that I was playing shows as having holeVue but I couldn't activate it on the sgx
[/quote]

[quote name='timatraw' date='20 April 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1271813298' post='2391310']
I keep getting an "Exception Notice" error when I turn the SGX on or try to sync it with my mac.
Any solutions?
Thanks.
Tim
[/quote]

Upgrade your Mac to snow leopard if your not running it now.

What a mess. It took about 15 mins of fiddling to get it to sync with xp and caddiesync 6.0.6. Then when I try to activate, it says that it's not a valid device and that I need to contact support. Awesome.

I think I'll be nice and give Skycaddie's CS until the end of day Friday to get this sorted out before I ship it back. This is my first Skycaddie product. Have all of their new product launches been this dismal?

SGX doesn't support holevue?WTF.gif. This is the message am getting. HELP!

The SGX not only supports Holevue, it support interactive Holevue. The course I played Saturday had Holevue and the course I am playing next week also has Holevue. I was playing around with Holevue in the Demo mode last night after downloading and installing the update.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Hmmmm... The Windows CE software has me holding back a bit. I manage a number of PDA's where I work and, well, I wish they were more reliable. But in the SGX it is locked down so there may be hope! And I own a Mac so another reason to hold off. And wish it were touch screen... Gee am I asking for too much!!

[size="3"]So far I am among the fortunate one's that has had very minimal problems with my SGX and none involving the SGX, only Skycaddie for Mac. And updating to the latest version resolved those issues. But to those that are having problems, call Skycaddie and help them get your problem resolved. Do not simply complain about it and say it is a piece of junk or an expensive paperweight.[/size]

[size="3"]I have been in the technology area for 30 years. So far from what I have seen, Skycaddie is doing everything right in dealing with the problems. It is clear they had all hands on deck from the beginning in case problems occurred rather than scramble to get the people they needed to resolve issues. The way they have communicated with owners of the SGX is an example to how to do it right. They told the problems they were dealing with and the date they expected them to be resolved. Then they sent an email telling an update was available and what was fixed. Also understand, fixes will not be immediate, depending on how complex the problem is it could take time before an issue is resolved.
[/size]
[size="3"]I know from experience, some of the issues may not be the fault of Skycaddie. It could be an anti-virus, firewall, or some other program is causing communication and/or update problems. People use programs most of us never have heard of and it ends up that program has code that Microsoft says you should not do because of the problems it will cause. The only way to figure that out is to let their people research the problems you are having.[/size]

[size="3"]I have a feeling by the time golf season is in full swing, all this will be a memory and there will be a lot of happy SGX owners. And for those that give up and return or sell their SGX because it did not work perfectly out of the box, you will be slapping your foreheads and saying "I could've had a SGX"[/size]

Callaway Chrome Soft

Updated my SGX this AM without any issues....working great! Thank you SG :)

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Yes, updated mine this morning also with no problems (doing the update). I did notice one little glitch that didn't happen before the latest version of CaddieSync (6.0.6). Now when my Vista machine starts I get an error stating that the CaddieSync Launcher could not start.

All the CaddieSync Launcher does is starts CaddieSync when you connect your Sky Caddie to the USB port. My workaround is to manually start the Launcher (which does start manually with no problem), then uncheck the "Start with Windows" option.

The only drawback to this is that I need to manually start CaddieSync when I plug in my SGX- no problem, I'd prefer that anyway- If I only play a few rounds per week, why do I want the CaddieSync Launcher running 24x7?

When I get home tonight I'll send Sky Golf a note on this, if they don't know about it already. It probably is just that a service or driver hasn't loaded before the Launcher attempts to start.

I found this thread while considering what to do with all my Golf Galaxy gift cards. I've been lugging them around since my Birthday and Christmas.

After reading this thread, I know what I won't be buying with that money. I really think I would be scared to buy an SGX. The comments and experiences written above are enough to sway even a semi-geek like me away from that device. Imagine what kind of experiences and frustrations a "regular" guy would encounter.

"By the time golf season is in full swing, all this will be a memory".

Really? And if it's not?

I think for the kind of loot (initial outlay and ongoing commitment) that these devices command, they should work *properly* from day 1. (OK, day 2?)

Is that too much to ask?

jm2%A2.gif

X________________________________ Sign Here

Keep in mind that you're only seeing a portion of the thousands of units that have gone out. If people haven't had any issues, they aren't typically going to bother to sign up for an internet forum to say so.

It's not my business how you spend your money and I have no ties to SkyGolf. But, just keep in mind you're only hearing from those with issues.

Mine is and has worked fine on my Vista 64 bit system since day 1.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

I have mixed feelings about this thred and the SGX itself. Like many on this site I salivated over the initial ad for the SGX. It promised so much! The pictures and the hype were tantilizing. Folks nearly hyperventilated over when is it coming, where can I buy it, where's mine? If there was ever a group of people set up for disappointment this would be it. And Skycaddie, in their zeal to bring the device to market is largely to blame. They created expectations, rushed to market prematurely, and have now alienated some portion of their customer base -- again.

I say "again" because earlier models of the Skycaddie devices were frought with many of the same issues and this turned off a lot of folks, including me. I was ready to chuck my SG3 when low and behold, Skycaddie finally got the software right, debugged the sync, and added some nice features. My SG3 became very accurate, stable, and reliable. It took awhile, and probably too long. But it is now a good unit.

I'll probably move up to the SGX in time but unlike some here, I was unlikely to grab the first unit out until Skycaddie demonstrated they had matured the software as they ultimately have for previous models.

Did some of us get suckered buying too early? You betcha. Did Skycaddie fail to deliver a mature platform? They sure did. But, we should have known better and so should Skycaddie.