Skycaddie SGX Owners/Users thread

[quote name='timatraw' date='23 April 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1272075689' post='2397391']
I can't seem to get a hole view ( like the picture on the first page of the user guide) in demo mode- no matter what I do. I pick a course then place it in demo mode and the screen only shows the green view.
There is no option to select different views even though I have all three views selected. Anybody having this issue?
Any solutions?
Thanks.
Tim
[/quote]

The course you select has to have hole vue as an option. Is that the case for the one you chose? Select a course from their database with the hole vue option (purple icon).

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='timatraw' date='23 April 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1272075689' post='2397391']
I can't seem to get a hole view ( like the picture on the first page of the user guide) in demo mode- no matter what I do. I pick a course then place it in demo mode and the screen only shows the green view.
There is no option to select different views even though I have all three views selected. Anybody having this issue?
Any solutions?
Thanks.
Tim
[/quote]

Make sure that you don't have any dual green courses downloaded.
If you do,remove the course and you should be able to see Hole view now (try it in demo mode)
Skycaddie knows about this bug.
Try it and post you results.

We (temporarily) have bright sunlight today, and I was able to check out the SGX's screen in bright conditions and glare. Very happy to report that the screen is VERY high color contrast in direct sunlight and is VERY clear - the best I've seen in these types of devices with color screens. All you need to do is a subtle adjustment with your hand to clearly see all of the screen details in bright sunlight. It is really good! cool.gif

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='17 April 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1271510334' post='2384748']
As a person that has written software for over 30 years, you test it the best you can. You can test it and test it but when you have 10,000 people instead of 50 people using it, they will use it ways that you never expected and tested for and problems will come up. As I expected, this is a Windows product and their first product with Windows. Instead of just enhancing software for hardware that has more capabilities, this is a rewrite of the whole software. Problems are going to occur.

And here is another fact. If you cry, bellyache, and complain about the problems, your issue will be put to the end of the line. If you act civil, calm, and work with people, you will get your problem addressed much quicker. Programmers and support people are humans. Treat them with respect, they will respect you and work for you. Disrespect them and they will not work for you.
[/quote]

You don't actually expect us to believe that "syncing the unit" (esp the 1st time) and "the unit locking up while in use" and the unit crashing with exception errors... falls in the category of "never expected and tested for" do you?!?!?!?

These are not extreme use cases, just the base core functionality of the unit how could you not test for that? Thats like saying you never expected people to make phone calls with a cell phone...

You do sound like a software developer though... blame the users not the software...

[quote name='jnradioactive' date='24 April 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1272148890' post='2398524']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='17 April 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1271510334' post='2384748']
As a person that has written software for over 30 years, you test it the best you can. You can test it and test it but when you have 10,000 people instead of 50 people using it, they will use it ways that you never expected and tested for and problems will come up. As I expected, this is a Windows product and their first product with Windows. Instead of just enhancing software for hardware that has more capabilities, this is a rewrite of the whole software. Problems are going to occur.

And here is another fact. If you cry, bellyache, and complain about the problems, your issue will be put to the end of the line. If you act civil, calm, and work with people, you will get your problem addressed much quicker. Programmers and support people are humans. Treat them with respect, they will respect you and work for you. Disrespect them and they will not work for you.
[/quote]

You don't actually expect us to believe that "syncing the unit" (esp the 1st time) and "the unit locking up while in use" and the unit crashing with exception errors... falls in the category of "never expected and tested for" do you?!?!?!?

These are not extreme use cases, just the base core functionality of the unit how could you not test for that? Thats like saying you never expected people to make phone calls with a cell phone...

You do sound like a software developer though... blame the users not the software...
[/quote]

Right, but the root of the problem here was with the manufacturer of the hardware as they loaded the incorrect operating system. So, it could be that SkyGolf had thoroughly tested and everything was rockin' and rollin' then the manufacturer released all the units with the wrong OS and we're where we are today.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

[quote name='jnradioactive' date='24 April 2010 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1272148890' post='2398524']

[/quote]

[/quote]

No the users are not to blame. But because of the nature of Windows, you could have 10,000 users, 9000 of them Windows users, and 5000 different configurations on those 9000 computers. I have seen problems that were not the problem of Windows or the software, but because some poorly written drivers or other software causes conflicts with your software. Early on in the life of the iPod, Norton Firewall for Windows prevented the syncing of the iPod because it locked the port the iPod needed to communicate with iTunes for Windows. It is impossible to test for every situation. Plus the issue of the manufacturer of the SGX messing up the OS version did not help matters.

Personally, I got so tired of dealing with those kind of problems, I switched to Mac. Closed hardware and OS makes for a much more stable user experience..

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='PingFanMan' date='25 April 2010 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1272168615' post='2399109']
I received my SGX the other day. Posters are correct that the manual is a bit vague in spots, but after a few tries, I fully charged the SGX, downloaded CaddySync, and got the SGX up and running.

I played 36 holes today, and the SGX performed flawlessly. I am charging it now for another 36 holes tomorrow.

[/quote]

Don't forget, there's a more comprehensive user guide [url="http://www.skygolf.com/skygolf/support/%7E/media/PDFs/SGX_UserGuide.ashx"]here[/url].

I got out to the course again yesterday with my SGX. I really like it. Works great. After getting past a firewall problem on my computer I haven't had any problems. Now for an on course review. When turning on it and searching for a course the SGX finds a course fairly quick. When getting yardage for shots. The SGX locks into the distance fast. When I stop the cart the yardage locks in. Scrolling with the joystick is faster than my SG5. I like the large screen. In bright sunlight I can leave the SGX on the cart seat grab a club and look at it from a distance to give one more yardage check and I can clearly read it. All in all I'm very happy with my SGX. Will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you Nick at Golfland Warehouse for the outstanding service and a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

Used mine on Saturday for the first time.

LOVED IT!

The only glitch I had was with the auto-hole advance. It kept going to the next hole automatically when I wasn't ready yet. Plus, I didn't really understand how the scoring function was working. But I turned off the auto-hole and figured out the scoring and by the end of the round was humming along.

It found my course very quickly, always had a strong satellite signal, always locked onto yardages very quickly, and was within 1 yard of the display on the in-cart GPS my club provides. Most of the time they two were in agreement.

The next time I go out I'll try and remember to bring my old laser and compare readings. But the yardages it gave me were what I expected and really helped with my club selection.

I used SGX for first time Sunday -- first GPS experience.

I had not set up the scoring and when I tried to do so after 3 holes I got the "exception notice" crash. After that it worked okay.

Caddiesync software crashed multiple times. I rebooted & plugged in unit first then opened Caddiesync and it finally recognized the SGX & uploaded the score to ClubSG. I must have been sequencing wrong?

I don't see the Caddiesync icon in the lower right taskbar anymore?

Frankly the GPS experience was quite distracting first time out.

There's a whole new mindset I need to acquire going from Pinseeker yardage to green yardages.

The course I played has large, tri-lobal greens and my guesstimates on pin distance --- using GPS & "today's pin postion" (1,2,3) --- were sometimes way off. I should get better at that.

We'll see how I acclimate after 10 rounds or so.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='Asleep' date='26 April 2010 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1272302339' post='2401687']
I used SGX for first time Sunday -- first GPS experience.[/quote]

Welcome to the club.

[quote name='Asleep' date='26 April 2010 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1272302339' post='2401687']
Caddiesync software crashed multiple times. I rebooted & plugged in unit first then opened Caddiesync and it finally recognized the SGX & uploaded the score to ClubSG. I must have been sequencing wrong?[/quote]

This is usually my order of operation (minus the reboot). Be sure when you go to plug the SGX in that it is powered off. When you plug it in, it will automatically power up, run through some splash screens and menu, then eventually land on the sync screen. Then I open up CaddieSync.

I don't see the Caddiesync icon in the lower right taskbar anymore?[/quote]

You can get it back by going to Start --> Programs --> SkyGolf --> CaddieSync --> CaddieSync Launcher. This program simply allows CaddieSync to fire up upon recognition of the SGX.

I don't see the Caddiesync icon in the lower right taskbar anymore?

Frankly the GPS experience was quite distracting first time out.

There's a whole new mindset I need to acquire going from Pinseeker yardage to green yardages.

The course I played has large, tri-lobal greens and my guesstimates on pin distance --- using GPS & "today's pin postion" (1,2,3) --- were sometimes way off. I should get better at that.

We'll see how I acclimate after 10 rounds or so.
[/quote]

I was in the same boat. It gets better. I'd have a hard time going to a laser now.

Just got my new SGX....haven't used it yet but am having difficulty with the screen protector. No issues w/ syncing (XP user)

For those who have used a Skycaddie before (first time for me), is the screen protector abosoultely necessary? I can't get one to stick without a large amount of annoying air bubbles. And the stickeryou're supposed to peel off afterwards leaves sticky residue that I'm afraid to clean off with a remover of some sort.

Went through all three that came with my unit and had no luck with any of them. Any suggestions?

This is my SGX after the applying the screen protector. I suppose you don't technically have to apply it, but it makes me nervous not to have it on there.

Crappy cell phone pic with some glare, but you get the idea:

4555338251_3a31e13a60_m.jpg

Basically, I just peeled off the number 1 tab. Then, I started at the top (curved side) and laid it across the top until it was lined up properly (had to reposition a couple times. Then, I held the protector with my left hand and used my right index finger to apply the protector and push out any potential bubbles. I did this until the protector was completely laid down with no bubbles. I had to peel it up once because it got stuck on the raised edge of the unit and was forcing a huge bubble. Straightened it out and now I'm good.

Then I just peeled off the number two tab and i was ready to roll.

This is my SGX after the applying the screen protector. I suppose you don't technically have to apply it, but it makes me nervous not to have it on there.

Crappy cell phone pic with some glare, but you get the idea:

4555338251_3a31e13a60_m.jpg

Basically, I just peeled off the number 1 tab. Then, I started at the top (curved side) and laid it across the top until it was lined up properly (had to reposition a couple times. Then, I held the protector with my left hand and used my right index finger to apply the protector and push out any potential bubbles. I did this until the protector was completely laid down with no bubbles. I had to peel it up once because it got stuck on the raised edge of the unit and was forcing a huge bubble. Straightened it out and now I'm good.

Then I just peeled off the number two tab and i was ready to roll.

I'm waiting for www.zagg.com to come out with a cover for the sgx. I use them on my cells and on my SG5.

[quote name='Sub-80' date='26 April 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1272314596' post='2402159']...For those who have used a Skycaddie before (first time for me), is the screen protector abosoultely necessary?[/quote]
I think screen protector is a must. Mine has a few bubbles that don't interfere with use at all.

[quote name='rkruff' date='26 April 2010 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1272319827' post='2402372']Is anyone having issues with the (3) top buttons. They are all loose and the left one does not look like it will stay attached much longer.[/quote]
I don't get that impression with mine at all.

Sometimes I have to press twice to get it to work is all.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Oksomething I wasn't expecting (maybe I didn't see if anyone posted on it) why the propriatory USB connection. I liked having options if I forgot to charge I could use anyones computer/charger. I'm not liking that. Been fooling around with it in demo mode and seems pretty cool. Pretty much like the 5 with better screen and a couple more scoring options that I like.

[quote name='MikeVeredas' date='27 April 2010 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1272416093' post='2405107']
Oksomething I wasn't expecting (maybe I didn't see if anyone posted on it) why the propriatory USB connection. I liked having options if I forgot to charge I could use anyones computer/charger. I'm not liking that.
[/quote]

It's not proprietary. It's a micro-usb connector. It is the standard connector you will see on cell phones moving forward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Mini_and_Micro

[quote name='eugd' date='28 April 2010 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1272468600' post='2406095']
Is there a way to find out when the newest Firmware updates are available or does SGX know when you sync it?
[/quote]

It should automatically take care of this when you sync. However, you can visit the [url="http://clubsg.skygolf.com/content/skygolf+updates"]SkyGolf Update Page[/url] whenever you want to see if maybe you've missed one.