2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie SGX Owners/Users thread

Time for an owners/users thread for the Skycaddie SGX.

Users Guide: http://www.skygolf.com/skygolf/support/~/media/PDFs/SGX_UserGuide.ashx

SkyGolf forums: http://clubsg.skygolf.com/forums/index.php?c=4

sgx%20skycaddie.jpg

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got out yesterday after I picked up my SGX. Only had the basic info loaded and barely enough juice to get through 9 holes. Initial impressions are that the unit itself is built very nice. Fairly slim, feels rugged and fits well in my hand similar to my iPhone. I can put it in my front pocket and I barely notice it's there. Locks in quick, gives accurate reading.

I wasn't able to sync with my Mac though. This morning at work I successfully sync'd with my Windows machine though.

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' date='14 April 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1271251558' post='2379149']
Got out yesterday after I picked up my SGX. Only had the basic info loaded and barely enough juice to get through 9 holes. Initial impressions are that the unit itself is built very nice. Fairly slim, feels rugged and fits well in my hand similar to my iPhone. I can put it in my front pocket and I barely notice it's there. Locks in quick, gives accurate reading.

I wasn't able to sync with my Mac though. This morning at work I successfully sync'd with my Windows machine though.
[/quote]

What kind of problem were you having when you tried to sync with your Mac? I hope to be able to pick mine up after work and I sync my SG5 through a Mac. I might try installing the latest version of Caddiesync first just in case there are changes that were made for the SGX.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' date='14 April 2010 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1271261091' post='2379432']
It won't even find the SGX. Just sits there and does nothing for 2 minutes before saying that the SGX cannot be found. Plugged it in at work today and it was found immediately.
[/quote]

Hey Lefty, jump back over to the SkyGolf forum [url="http://clubsg.skygolf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2710&highlight="]here[/url], a customer care rep has responded. Sounds like it's a known issue with a temporary work-around.

[quote name='Cardigans' date='14 April 2010 - 12:36 PM' timestamp='1271262974' post='2379487']
@ChappyEight

That is good news that SA received their shipment. I received the email last week from SA about canceling the order if they did not ship it by May 7th. I was going to cancel my order with SA and order from GPP. When I called GPP they said they would have to charge me sales tax since I am in TX which bumped it up to $346.00. Hopefully SA will pull through.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd talked to them a couple days ago and they'd updated my ship date to May 6th and I also had the email of it being canceled on May 7th before that. So, needless to say, I was happy to find out what I did this morning about the shipment making its way in to the warehouse. I'm going to call again Friday morning if I haven't heard anything, just to check in.

GPP, I sent you a PM.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' date='14 April 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1271269214' post='2379665']
Thanks Chappy. Yea I saw that. I'm going to give it a shot when I get home today. I'll post whether it works or not.
[/quote]

Great, please do.

Good luck!

[quote name='ChappyEight' date='14 April 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1271269331' post='2379668']
[quote name='Chicago Lefty' date='14 April 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1271269214' post='2379665']
Thanks Chappy. Yea I saw that. I'm going to give it a shot when I get home today. I'll post whether it works or not.
[/quote]

Great, please do.

Good luck!
[/quote]

I got word mine is in, so I will pick it up on the way home from work. Can the first person to get the workaround post it so we all know? Also I wonder if this is a problem only in a specific OS X version or all versions. I remember when Snow Leopard came out and there was a problem with Caddiesync. I delayed upgraded my OS until I saw that it worked with Snow Leopard.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='ChappyEight' date='14 April 2010 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1271267301' post='2379612']
[quote name='Chicago Lefty' date='14 April 2010 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1271261091' post='2379432']
It won't even find the SGX. Just sits there and does nothing for 2 minutes before saying that the SGX cannot be found. Plugged it in at work today and it was found immediately.
[/quote]

Hey Lefty, jump back over to the SkyGolf forum [url="http://clubsg.skygolf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2710&highlight="]here[/url], a customer care rep has responded. Sounds like it's a known issue with a temporary work-around.
[/quote]

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='14 April 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1271269899' post='2379684']
Can the first person to get the workaround post it so we all know?
[/quote]

Follow the link in the above quote from me.

[quote name='ChappyEight' date='14 April 2010 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1271274886' post='2379862']
[quote name='ChappyEight' date='14 April 2010 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1271267301' post='2379612']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='14 April 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1271269899' post='2379684']
Can the first person to get the workaround post it so we all know?
[/quote]

Follow the link in the above quote from me.
[/quote]

Got mine recognized and synced. I had to setup the Network Preferences and it did freeze after the first sync. But after rebooting my Mac, it was fine. Also I downloaded the latest Caddiesync. Saturday I play a course with holevue and intelligreen pro, so I am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='jminor3' date='14 April 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1271290021' post='2380220']
Just ordered mine through GPP. They are no longer offering the sgx for 319, but I got it for 349, and they shipped it on my fedex account. I ordered at 3PM today and they got it shipped out. Great customer service. I also talked to a rep from skygolf today, and they said some units are having problems when you turn it on if it says "installing". The unit is no good and you have to return it. Hopefully I get a good one.
[/quote]

Mine installed an update when I first connected it but it appears to work fine. I was able to bring up a course and see each of the views. Graphically, it appears they took a lot of clues on how it looks and works from the iPhone.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Nike Markiie' date='15 April 2010 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1271365865' post='2381888']
thankfully mine turned. haha. all these nightmare stories ive been reading about had me a little spooked.
[/quote]

Eh, I wouldn't be too concerned. SkyGolf shipped thousands of these things and you never here from people who are happy. So, you figure that the 10-15 people who've complained in the forums make up a tiny fraction of overall customers.

Besides, if something is wrong, it seems like they're taking care of it pretty quickly.

[quote name='yahtzee' date='15 April 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1271365003' post='2381862']
damnit....1.5hrs on hold so far.
[/quote]

Never got through and just gave up...came back tonight and tried on all 4 usb ports. Nothing..rebooted while connected on 3 occasions and on the last one it connected and it finally got activated....finally....now, to take this thing out and play.....I will say that I like the rubbery feeling of the SG5 better. Just seems more durable. The SGX comes with really nice screen protectors that you peel off, put on the screen and then peel off the top layer....very nice. I also like that it came with a protective case BUT there is a noticeable difference in the memory foam on the inside vs. the exact same one I had for my SG5.

Not a fan of the little joystick but you can also use the keys like the older models so no worries there....screen resolution looks dramatically better and I can't wait to get it out.

Picked up my SGX last night.

Started with trying to sync on my Windows 7 - 64bit PC and because of the unsigned drivers, could not sync.

Tried on my Vista 32bit laptop, all drivers installed without a hitch, but whenever I tried to sync, caddiesync could not find my SGX.

Went back to the Win7 PC, and allowed unsigned drivers to be used (from the boot prompt), and finally got my PC to communicate with the SGX. The SGX immediately added some new firmware, but after that I was good to go.

Added 40 courses in about 2 minutes and played around with the demo mode and scoring system. Can't wait to get out on the course.

QuickVue™ is being replaced by HoleVue™. Therefore, if you jump on SkyGolf's website and have a look at your course, it will show whether or not HoleVue ™ is available. Further, when you click on QuickVue™ it states which devices have it; the SGX does not as it uses the newer HoleVue™.

Not sure exactly when SkyGolf rolled out HoleVue™ but right now it's missing on a lot of courses (about half near me). But, they mention they are adding 200 courses a day to the technology. I'm guessing by mid-late summer they'll have covered at least 75% of the courses or more with the new HoleVue™ technology.

Hope this helps. I'm learning too. I've never had a SkyCaddie but my SGX should arrive Tuesday. Pretty excited.

Very disappointed to find out the battery in the SGX is not user switchable/replaceable. I always liked keeping a fully charged spare with my previous skycaddies. If the battery go in the SGX you have to send it in for repair and I'm sure a repair charge...and be without it for weeks. just another way to get money out of you. Looks ltey are following the Apple mode: No user replaceable batteries, then charge them for repair when they need one...

Starting to wish I stuck with my SG5...russian_roulette.gif

If he SGX is like previous Skycaddie's, the GPS hardware unit is not Skycaddie designed. All of the previous Skycaddie's, the hardware was designed and manufactured by someone else and they put the Skycaddie name on it. Skycaddie then added the software to make it work the as a golf GPS. Like you I am disappointed the battery is not user changeable, but with today's batteries, we will probably upgrade the GPS before the battery is dead. What I do is after each round, I recharge the battery back to full when I download my score to ClubSG.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='16 April 2010 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1271442925' post='2383574']
What I do is after each round, I recharge the battery back to full when I download my score to ClubSG.
[/quote]

Solid plan. I keep all my Li-ion batteries topped off; cell phone included.

For the last two years I have been using a SG 2.5 which has the same type of non-replaceable battery. I usually get 2-3 rounds out of a full charge before it tells me to recharge it. A matter of fact this past week it warned me to recharge on the second hole and I still made it through the full round no problem. As a previous poster said I don't think the battery will need to be replaced before you decide upgrade the GPS.

However, my understanding is that rechargeable batteries will last longer if you run them down before you recharge. I think I read that they have a "memory", and will not recharge fully if they are not rundown.

[quote name='Tanksfurnutin' date='16 April 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1271444152' post='2383608']
However, my understanding is that rechargeable batteries will last longer if you run them down before you recharge. I think I read that they have a "memory", and will not recharge fully if they are not rundown.
[/quote]

This is the conventional thinking for Nickel Cadmium batteries. Lithium Ion batteries (such as in the SkyCaddie) do not have a "memory" and conventional thinking says to keep them charged up as much as possible.

Some useful info here: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm and under the "advantages" section here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Charging_procedure .

[quote name='Tanksfurnutin' date='16 April 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1271444152' post='2383608']

[/quote]

That is correct for older type of rechargeable batteries like NiCads. But for Li-Ion batteries memory effect is not an issue. They have a number of recharges before they start not holding a charge. But that is based on number of recharges from full discharge. So a couple of partial recharges will equal on full recharge. The thing you have watch for with Li-Ion batteries, the battery will show a full or near full charge and quickly go down to empty.

Callaway Chrome Soft

In the "old days" I used to purchase additional high capacity batteries for cell phones and laptops. I always kept a charged battery ready to go.

Over the last few of these devices that I've owned, I stopped doing that- I haven't even removed the batteries from my last few cell phones and laptops- they now outlast the usefulness of the device. I expect the SGX to be the same way.

Ni-Cds got a bad rap- usually it wasn't the battery's fault- the crappy chargers that devices usually came with were "brute force" and just charged the crap out of them. Overcharging a Ni-Cd results in overheating which results in microscopic short circuits between the pos/neg plates within the battery. This short depletes the charge, which makes it appear that the battery had a "memory."

Li-Ion doesn't exhibit this effect. Plus the batteries and the chargers, along with the devices themselves, have much better charge circuitry and "smarts" built in.