Skycaddie SGX Owners/Users thread

I found this thread while considering what to do with all my Golf Galaxy gift cards. I've been lugging them around since my Birthday and Christmas.

After reading this thread, I know what I won't be buying with that money. I really think I would be scared to buy an SGX. The comments and experiences written above are enough to sway even a semi-geek like me away from that device. Imagine what kind of experiences and frustrations a "regular" guy would encounter.

"By the time golf season is in full swing, all this will be a memory".

Really? And if it's not?

I think for the kind of loot (initial outlay and ongoing commitment) that these devices command, they should work *properly* from day 1. (OK, day 2?)

Is that too much to ask?

jm2%A2.gif

Yes and no.

Golf-specific GPS units are definitely a niche market. And there are plenty of models to choose from. That, and a bunker at 200 yards is a bunker at 200 yards. All of the GPS units will pretty much tell you the same information.

What it comes down to is whether or not you want the latest and greatest features, like the SGX provides. If you want that, there are two ways to get it- when it becomes available, and waiting a bit and getting it later.

If you fall into the category of wanting the latest and greatest, and wanting it now, you will always have to put up with some minor glitches. It the computer support arena (which I've been in for over 20 years), these are bleeding edge users. If you want to live on the bleeding edge, there will be blood. Accept it. The old rule of thumb is never buy V1.0 of anything.

Obviously, you don't fall into that category- and that's fine. Usually I like to live on the leading edge (not quite the bleeding edge). In this case, I was looking to move to the bleeding edge.

So I got my Sky Caddie and I'm willing to help work through the issues with Sky Golf- does that make me a paying "beta tester." Nah, I don't think so. I think the technology has reached a 'critical mass' where it will be impossible to introduce new features without having some issues- there's too many manufacturers and support people involved. None of these problems are really that bad. I think there may be an impatience among some users, and some like yourself that think it needs to be perfect out of the box on day one.

In the end, I think they'll have a winner of a product and I'll understand how it works inside and out. But that's important to me. If it's not important to you, OK! To each, his own.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would tell my best friend to get one. What you see is reflective of today's society. A small number of people screaming and crying because they had problems and making it seem like everyone is having problems. And I wonder how many are screaming and crying without calling Skycaddie so they can help them fix their problem. As you can see from the thread, a lot of people are also speaking out they are having very small or no problems. If you want one, buy it.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='exotics' date='20 April 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1271817983' post='2391469']
Chunky,

The sgx accuracy enabled me to dial the correct distances closer to the flags so my distances were much closer than usual because the sg5 range used to change while in the still position. The sgx range locks in and does not change. They improved the signal over the previous models.
[/quote]

I agree about the SGX locking in quickly and accurately. My yardages have been dead on.

How far does the charging port rubber cover pull away from the unit?

Mine just barely gives enough room to plug in & feels like I might break it off from the unit?

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='Asleep' date='21 April 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1271873179' post='2392624']

Mine just barely gives enough room to plug in & feels like I might break it off from the unit?
[/quote]

Mine is the same way. It never seems to want to push back in perfectly either.

Here's a pic of mine pulled all the way out. If you have a problem with the cover, they're sending replacements to people who post in the thread on their support forums.

SkycaddieSGX.jpg

Here's a pic of mine pulled all the way out. If you have a problem with the cover, they're sending replacements to people who post in the thread on their support forums.

SkycaddieSGX.jpg

Thanks for that picture. :good:

The little attachment "neck" on mine must be a little stuck inside the unit as it doesn't pull out that much.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

The rubber piece will twist as well. I've never pulled mine out that far for fear of breaking but I always twist it up so it's facing the top of the unit instead of its normal position facing down.

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

Received mine today. Downloaded and installed CaddieSync. Connected the SGX, did the update and registered. No problems syncing or downloading courses at all. BTW I am using Windows XP.

Titleist TS3 9.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6
Titleist 917F2 15° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist 917F2 18° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist AP2 712 4-W NS Pro 970 S
Titleist SM8 Wedges 52,56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S Putter

Rec'd mine today also from Golflandwarehouse. Thanks Nick! I need help, however. I have windows XP o/s, uninstalled CaddieSync 6.0.2 and installed v6.o.6 earlier today. My computer doesn't recognize SGX. I can't sync or register my new toy. I'm sure I've seen this addressed in this forum or the skycaddie forum but I can't find the answer now. Can anyone help??? I've emailed skygolf support.

Thanks.

[quote name='TexasAg' date='21 April 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1271885791' post='2393099']
I would try deleting the skycaddie from the device manager and then reinstalling the caddiesync software.
[/quote]
Thanks. But as soon as I plug into the USB port I get a popup message stating that it 'doesn't recognize new usb device' (sgx). Therefore it's never makes the devise manager list. I have 2 other golf gps devises that work just fine, including an sg5, using the same usb port (and caddiesync version).

[quote name='hectex' date='21 April 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1271882509' post='2392956']
Rec'd mine today also from Golflandwarehouse. Thanks Nick! I need help, however. I have windows XP o/s, uninstalled CaddieSync 6.0.2 and installed v6.o.6 earlier today. My computer doesn't recognize SGX. I can't sync or register my new toy. I'm sure I've seen this addressed in this forum or the skycaddie forum but I can't find the answer now. Can anyone help??? I've emailed skygolf support.

Thanks.[/quote]In Vista, I had to ...

Disconnected my SGX.

Closed CaddieSync & rebooted computer.

Reconnected the SGX (it then showed drivers installed.)

Then I reopened CaddieSync & it prompted to update.

[quote name='Asleep' date='21 April 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1271888772' post='2393200']
[quote name='hectex' date='21 April 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1271882509' post='2392956']

Thanks.[/quote]In Vista, I had to ...

Disconnected my SGX.

Closed CaddieSync & rebooted computer.

Reconnected the SGX (it then showed drivers installed.)

Then I reopened CaddieSync & it prompted to update.
[/quote]
Seems to be working on my Vista laptop. Still would like to resolve the issue with my xp desktop. Anyway I seem to be good for now. Thanks.

http://clubsg.skygolf.com/content/skygolf+updates/1-3387-SGX_Support_Update.html

[color="#000080"][b]SGX Support Update

April 20, 2010

We have just released the following updates for SGX customers:

CaddieSync (Version 6.0.6)

Includes Microsoft-signed drivers*

Customers using CaddieSync version 6.0.0 and higher will automatically receive this update. Those with an older version of CaddieSync will need to manually download and install CaddieSync.

Microsoft Windows CE (OS Version 0.1.8)

Sync process improved between the SGX and CaddieSync

SGX Lock-up issue should be resolved

The OS update and the SGX Application update have been combined and will download and install together the next time you sync your SGX with CaddieSync. The update is 15MB in size, so it will take a little longer than usual to download and install this update onto your SGX.

SkyCaddie SGX Application (Version 1.0.7)

Exception Error caused during the Preload Course selection process has been fixed

When SGX is connected to the computer, a “Sync” option is now available on the Main Menu (Left Key)

Interactive HoleVue now shows your location on the hole and updates as you move

Line color for HoleVue changed from red to yellow to improve readability in direct sunlight

Any issues not addressed with these updates are still being researched and a resolution will be forthcoming.

* Customers with Vista/Windows 7 64-bit computers who disabled driver signature enforcement should re-enable this setting.[/b][/color]

[quote name='hectex' date='21 April 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1271888504' post='2393188']
[quote name='TexasAg' date='21 April 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1271885791' post='2393099']
I would try deleting the skycaddie from the device manager and then reinstalling the caddiesync software.
[/quote]
Thanks. But as soon as I plug into the USB port I get a popup message stating that it 'doesn't recognize new usb device' (sgx). Therefore it's never makes the devise manager list. I have 2 other golf gps devises that work just fine, including an sg5, using the same usb port (and caddiesync version).
[/quote]

Did you download a new caddiesync program?

[quote name='style2k7' date='21 April 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1271906707' post='2393791']
[quote name='hectex' date='21 April 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1271888504' post='2393188']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes. Version 6.0.6

Add me to the list of beyond satisfied customers. I've had an SG2, SG5 and now the SGX and have never had a bit of trouble with any aspects of any of the units ever. And I don't know crap about computers, "workarounds" or anything else. I just read the instructions, follow them and "whollah" they work! I personally find the SGX amazing and after showing it to three of my neighbor buddies last night, they're all buying themselves SGX's today. Sorry to those of you that are exeriencing difficulty but would bet that 90% plus of the problems are self-inflicted and those that are not would be easily resolved with some patience and a phone call. In my opinion, Skygolf has grown lightyears beyond what they were in the beginning and is far ahead of everyone else in the industry who has basically copied or re-invented everything that Skygolf has done first. By the way, thanks Nick and Golfland Warehouse for the great deal and service! I'll be back.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

[quote name='hectex' date='22 April 2010 - 05:37 AM' timestamp='1271932661' post='2394015']
[quote name='style2k7' date='21 April 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1271906707' post='2393791']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes. Version 6.0.6
[/quote]
Finally got my SGX up and running on my XP desktop. Not sure why but found a usb port on the back of the computer that recognized the sgx and permitted unfettered access to CaddieSync. It even worked thru a hub attached to that port. Other ports and hubs still refuse to recognize the sgx even tho they recognize all my other usb devices. Hopefully there's a tidbit here somewhere that might help someone encountering similar problem(s). Think I'm going to love the sgx, especially when all the features are implemented

It could depend on the age of your computer or if it a laptop. Older computers have a mixture of USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports. The SGX requires USB 2.0. Also on some older computers and some laptop computers, some USB ports do not send out power that is required to turn on the SGX when it is connected, preventing it from being recognized. I know on my Macbook, one USB port had the power to drive an external hard drive, the other USB port did not. The one port that works with your SGX must be the one that meets the requirements for the SGX.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='22 April 2010 - 08:58 AM' timestamp='1271944716' post='2394232']
It could depend on the age of your computer or if it a laptop. Older computers have a mixture of USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports. The SGX requires USB 2.0. Also on some older computers and some laptop computers, some USB ports do not send out power that is required to turn on the SGX when it is connected, preventing it from being recognized. I know on my Macbook, one USB port had the power to drive an external hard drive, the other USB port did not. The one port that works with your SGX must be the one that meets the requirements for the SGX.
[/quote]
I think you have nailed it. My computer is 'several' years old, I have a mixture of usb 1.1 & 2.0. The 'non-working' port(s) have been 1.1. I think the port that eventually worked is 2.0 which I added a few years ago. The 'working' usb hub is a/c 'powered'. Thanks for your help.

Has anyone gotten demo mode to work?

I turn it on in the preferences, then go back to the main menu and select "play golf" - but it tries to acquire satellites. Demo mode should allow me to move through the course without trying to find its real location.

I also don't have the demo course loaded- is there a way to get that back?

I finally did. I selected the course and then went into the menu to turn on the demo mode. It worked for me then.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' date='22 April 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1271954977' post='2394546']
I finally did. I selected the course and then went into the menu to turn on the demo mode. It worked for me then.
[/quote]

+1

This is how I do it also. Choose the course, go to the menu and change to demo mode, then click 'resume'.

Bam, demo mode.

After playing around with it in demo mode I pretty much like it except for one thing. With these middle aged eyes I have a hard time using it without reading glasses on because of the small fonts. I have an SG5 that I can use without too much trouble without the glasses on. I will see how well it works out today when I play 9 holes in the company league after work today.

Titleist TS3 9.5° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6
Titleist 917F2 15° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist 917F2 18° Diamana S+ Blue 70 S
Titleist AP2 712 4-W NS Pro 970 S
Titleist SM8 Wedges 52,56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S Putter

FYI, SkyGolf support has stated in their [url="http://clubsg.skygolf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2864&highlight=screen"]forums here[/url] that they're working on a revision that will include "themes and easier-to-read type".

I'm assuming it's not a high priority at this point due to the usability issues they're still working through.