2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie SGX Owners/Users thread

I bought 2, one for me and one for my dad. I went to charge both right out of the package and only 1 worked. The other just gave a blank white screen which Customer support said the software must of not been loaded. So they are shipping me a new one which will be here Monday ( pretty good service).

Haven't gotten to play a round with them but I am excited to get out there and use them. I just hope I dont encounter anymore problems.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, this is a new piece of equipment and a few glitches here and there are to be expected. However, it is very clear that the SGX is still a Beta and we are the guinea pigs. Some of you have preached patience and likened the experience to the iPhone. Let me tell you, I bought the iPhone when it first came out and there were no issues like the ones occurring with the SGX. To not have signed drivers for Microsoft's latest OS is inexcusable, simply put. Furthermore, if you want to track any statistics (the only reason I purchased the SGX) other than score, putts, and fairways hit (e.g. scrambling, up and downs, sand saves, 1st putt distance, etc.) you have to do it with paper and pencil or on the iPhone app. This totally defeats the purpose of having such a large device. Not only that, but the device is a typical, slow Microsoft device. Anytime you change screens you get to see the dreaded hourglass. I will be returning mine asap and going back to my uPro which is awesome!

I got mine on Friday and I have a MAC. Took a bit but it did sync and the program loaded onto my computer as well. Sometimes it takes a bit and if that happens turn it off and restart. That happened once and when I rebooted it loaded up right away. After intially charging it the SGX is awsome. I could not be more happy with it but it's early. The only issue I have is that it does take a while to make changes when syncing but I am not certain if that's a MAC problem or PC or overall issue.

Other than that and that the manual is pretty vague the GPS and screen shots are great. Much better than the SG5 IMO and just better than the Upro (my buddy has that) because of the larger screen and the ability to move the pin on the green. The Upro only gives you front, middle and back and not the ability to move the flag around. have not had a chance to find a course with the beta intelligreen yet but I think that is a cool feature to try and get to flat spots or carry a ridge that you cannot see from the FW.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

No issues with the release of the iPhone? I bought my first iPhone the day after it's release. After waiting 48 hours for AT&T activate my iPhone, I had to call AT&T to tell them 48 hours was to long and I needed my phone activated immediately. And it took an hour to get to speak to someone from AT&T and telling them I wanted to speak to a supervisor before I got results. They deactivated my old phone when the activation started and until the activation was completed on the iPhone I people could not even leave a voice mail message. I would call that an issue.

Are some people having problems? Yes. I other than one freeze of my Mac after the first update, I have not had any problems. It worked fine when I played yesterday. And if you go to the Skycaddie forum on ClubSG, they clearly have all hands on deck when it comes to support. And based on the responses, they are trying to resolve the problems that occur.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have had zero problems with the SGX so far. I already had Clubsg downloaded when it arrived on Friday, and when I plugged the unit into my MacBook Pro, the software update downloaded and the unit reset. Everything worked perfectly when I arrived at the course. Distances were spot on. After playing nine, I came home to upload my scores. There was an error uploading on the first few attempts, but after 3-4 tries, my score uploaded to clubsg and I was back to 10 available saves.

There are a few strange features that I would like to see changed, like the ability to delete incomplete rounds from the unit (for those days you end up playing just a few holes). Also, I am eager to have more courses with Holeview and Intelligreen Pro, but hopefully that will change in the near future. However, the unit works well with my Mac, and I am pleased overall. I can't wait for the SmartClub technology to arrive...

Played 27 today with the SGX and here are some observations:

PROS:
- looks great in sunlight
- graphics are great

CONS:
- navigating is hard to do (no clue how to get back to the main menu after a round had started)
- had to reset twice during the day
- hate seeing list view of yardages (maybe this can be changed but I didn't read manual on course - I read it before I left for course and you can't really see any changes when you aren't mapped to a course) I liked the views that the SG5 gave.
- feels more fragile than an SG5 (I used to have no issue dropping my SG5 on the teebox after I got yardage but dont feel as confident in the construction with the SGX)
- Auto next hole always had me one hole ahead. Had to turn this feature off which then caused more delay as I had to move to next hole manually.
- Battery life is worse than SG5 - Battery was almost dead after 27 holes (approx 20%)
- View during round - with my SG5 there were alot of occasions that I could leave it in the cup holder and see yardages - with the SGX it doesn't appear that the large views are avail (again, I read the manual but not on the course)
- updates are slow in comparison to the SG5 - there were times that I would pull up to my buddy's shot and give him a yardage and in 2 seconds it would change (I've played with the same guy many times using my SG5 and never recall it taking this long)

Overall, it was a pretty disappointing experience....if any of my feedback above is inaccurate I am completely open for guidance and correction and will play again followed up by another review.....Honestly, I hope I am way off base here as I had pretty high expectations (as I think alot of folks did) of the SGX.

Ok, so I finally get an email saying my SGX will be here friday. I have an SG5 that I bought from sports authority and is still in its 90 day return period. My thought was to buy the SGX and then return the 5 when it came in. Now I am scared. I love my SG5. It works great. I am also one of those guys with "gear envy" I gotta have the newest stuff. I am the guy taylor made gets with its new drivers every 6 months. I am the guy waiting in line each time apple turns out a new iPhone. Talk all the smack you want, I admit and embrace that I am that guy. Anyways back to topic...am I going to be crying when I get my new SGX? Is it a pain to get going. Does it really crash over and over on the course. Someone please make me feel more comfortable. I have no problem dropping $$$ but I dont want to have a 400 brick. Especially when I have become dependent on my GPS. Will I be able to keep the SG5 working to use them side by side on the one account?

Thanks!

Mike,

You won't be able to use the SG5 and SGX side by side unless you subscribe to a new plan for it and pay for it. You will have to unregister the SG5 and then register the SGX unless you pay the extra money to keep them both activated.

I've only been able to use mine once so far for 18 holes. It never froze or did anything bad for me. It seemed to get more accurate and faster as the day went on. I know that on my SG3, when it was connected to the WAAS system, a + sign would show above the satellite signal strength indicator. When I played yesterday, the + sign showed up a couple of times, but not the entire round. It was right above the signal strength indicator on the SGX. I came home and checked the manual and it didn't show it or say anything about it. I can only ASSume that it still indicates when the gps in locked onto WAAS.

I fell bad for anybody having significant problems. I never had any big ones with my SG3 over the last 3 years. I occasionally would get an error when it tried to sync or do an update, but never when playing a round. I would never have imagined that these types of problems that people are having would occur.

That being said, I've been relatively lucky, mine has done what it should after I got past the sync problems. My auto light seems to work well and so it's been very easy to read the screen.

Good luck all.

I had the latest and greatest updates from Skycaddie in place, am getting those errors after the 'Update'.

Starting to feel like the SGX is the Windows Vista of SkyCaddies doesn't it? Rushed out incomplete after several delays... and customers have to suffer while they work it out. If you didn't know it already we are all part of the SGX beta test program...

$400 and you have to put up with random power resets and errors while syncing??? How could they not know these were problems?? They knew it and out it out anyway

black%20eye.gifblack%20eye.gifblack%20eye.gif

Oh stop it. Are you really telling me that you didn't expect there to be little problems like that? "Rushed out incomplete..." --- people were begging Sky Golf to release these- I guess they're damned if the do, damned if they don't.

Customers are suffering? Don't think so. You live on the bleeding edge when you buy a product pre-release- there's bound to be some blood. Accept it and move on.

I'm sure they had an extensive beta test program, and if these issues were uncovered I'm sure they would have fixed them then. The fact that they came out with a fix so quickly usually means they knew about it after they froze the firmware for production and developed the fix during production. So they sent out an update. How are "customers suffering" because of an update- which you should do anyway?

Played my first round today with my SGX.

No problems at all. Scoring and hole selection worked flawlessness and yardages to the green were great.

I was not very impressed with the HoleVue though. The course detail just didn't seem to be very good, which made picking targets hard. This was with a course that I am very familiar with. I don't know how reliable it would be on a new course.

On long par 5s, as above, the HoleVue on T-shots wasn't very helpful, but it was nice to know layup yardages on my second shots.

[quote name='Greenbird' date='19 April 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1271722502' post='2388941']
Played my first round today with my SGX.

No problems at all. Scoring and hole selection worked flawlessness and yardages to the green were great.

I was not very impressed with the HoleVue though. The course detail just didn't seem to be very good, which made picking targets hard. This was with a course that I am very familiar with. I don't know how reliable it would be on a new course.

On long par 5s, as above, the HoleVue on T-shots wasn't very helpful, but it was nice to know layup yardages on my second shots.
[/quote]

Thought I had a problem when I couldn't sync until I went to the golf course and the thing just worked flawlessly . How do you activate hole vue though? The course that I was playing shows as having holeVue but I couldn't activate it on the sgx

FYI, new information has been posted about the updates.

SGX Support Update - Taken from: http://clubsg.skygolf.com/content/skygolf+updates/1-3387-SGX_Support_Update.html

[b] [/b]
[quote]
[b][color="#336699"]April 19, 2010[/color][/b]

We appreciate your continued patience as we work to resolve any support issues experienced with the SGX.

[b]Please Check Your Version of CaddieSync[/b]

Older versions of CaddieSync are not compatible with the SGX and has created several syncing problems. SGX customers should confirm that they are using CaddieSync v. 6.0.0 or higher. If you are using an older version of CaddieSync, please manually uninstall it by going to Start > Programs > SkyGolf > CaddieSync > Uninstall CaddieSync. Once the uninstall process is completed, install the new version of CaddieSync for your SGX from http://www.skygolf.com/skygolf/Membership/Owners.aspx. After this process, we believe many issues will go away and future updates to CaddieSync will occur automatically as you sync your SkyCaddie.

[i]Below are the issues that have been reported and the status of the resolution:[/i]

[b]"Low Memory" Pop-Up Message – FIXED[/b]
[i]FIX AVAILABLE — APRIL 16, 2010[/i]

SkyCaddie Software Application Version 1.0.4.0, which was released on Friday, April 16, 2010 should resolve this issue. Customers who have not yet received this update can sync their SGX with CaddieSync to download and install the latest application. See issues below with CaddySync.

[b]SGX/CaddieSync Sync Errors — IN PROCESS[/b]
[i]ESTIMATED FIX AVAILABLE — APRIL 21, 2010[/i]

Please make sure that you are using CaddieSync version 6.0.0 or higher. For those devices experiencing problems with syncing (e.g., CaddieSync “SkyCaddie could not be found” error), an update to the operating system should resolve the issue. Microsoft Windows CE version 0.1.8 is currently being tested and is expected to be released through CaddieSync no later than Wednesday April 21, 2010. After this has been released, simply sync your SGX to CaddieSync to download and install this update.

In the interim, follow these steps to successfully retry the sync process:
[list=1]
[*]Close CaddieSync
[*]Turn off the SGX
[*]Disconnect the micro-USB end of the cable from the SGX
[*]Reconnect the cable into the SGX. The SGX should automatically power on.
[*]The SGX will cycle through its start screens, then stop at the “Sync” screen
[*]Launch CaddieSync on your computer
[*]Click “Sync” in CaddieSync
[/list]
[b]Windows 7 64-Bit Driver Issue – IN PROCESS[/b]

The drivers for the SGX are safe and completed Microsoft certification prior to its release. However, these drivers have not fully propagated through Microsoft’s validation servers so that your operating system recognizes these SkyCaddie drivers as valid and safe for installation. Until this process is complete, the operating system will treat the drivers as unsigned.
While most versions of Microsoft Windows allow you to install unsigned drivers, the 64-bit version of Windows 7 is tighter on security and will block any unsigned drivers.

[i]While there is a way to disable this security feature in Windows 7, SkyGolf does NOT recommend disabling this important safeguard since the signed drivers should be fully propagated soon.[/i]

By Wednesday, April 21, 2010, we intend to release a new version of CaddieSync (v. 6.0.6) which will allow you to use the SGX drivers WITHOUT disabling any security settings in Windows 7. We encourage any customers who have chosen to disable driver signature enforcement, in order to download CaddieSync or any other reason, to re-enable this security feature immediately to mitigate exposure to unsafe downloads from other parties who have not received Microsoft certification.

[b]SGX Lockup Issue – IN PROCESS[/b]

This issue relates to a third-party driver installed in the operating system loaded at the factory just prior to release that corrupted registry entries. The corrupted registry randomly caused some devices to get into a lock up state that did not clear with a reboot. This issue did not show up in pre-shipment quality control checks and arose post-shipment when updating to a later release operating system. Our developers worked the entire weekend and identified what they believe is the problem in the registry. Microsoft Windows CE version 0.1.8 is in testing now and is expected to be released on Wednesday April 21, 2010 to resolve this issue. However, research and testing will continue into this matter until our product performs up to our customers’ expectations.

We apologize for these issues that were missed in our quality control process and the inconvenience caused to our valued customers. Thank you for bringing these to our attention.
[/quote]

Dr: Mizuno JPX-900 (9.5°)
FW: 3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy: 3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-6i: Mizuno MP-H5
7-PW: Mizuno MP-5
W: Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58° (Gunmetal)
P: 2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

Looking at the issues and the causes, I guess us Mac users have another reason we are happy to say "And I'm a Mac"!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='timatraw' date='17 April 2010 - 05:49 AM' timestamp='1271497784' post='2384633']
New SGX customer and lifetime Mac user here. I found the directions on the SGX to be cryptic and confusing on how to get this thing up and operational. Directions are not clear- which I found disappointing. In fact the whole registration process was confusing- Skygolf has you paying extra before you even get started! I bought the extended warranty because I had a sense that I might need the damn thing which isn't exactly a confidence booster. I bought the "birdie plan" even know I wasn't clear about how the plans work (or even if I need it). Anybody have insight or advice about the plans?

When I initially plugged it in- I was waiting for a battery icon to show it charging ( like it says I should see). Never did see it.
I learned that you need to turn off the SGX before you disconnect it from the usb cable- certainly an inconvenience compared to the iphone. So now what? I tried to figure out how to make it work- you know- a dry run- so I know how to operate it before I get to the course. No such feature. I guess I will figure it out.

Can an experienced skygolf user take us beginners thru a tutorial on how to operate this damn thing?
Thanks.
Tim
[/quote]

I got mine and yes it would not sync with my Mac but then I went to the website downloaded the sgx caddiesync and it connected just fine. Only problem I have is that the Id screen will not update my name and phone number on the SGX.

[quote name='Gaff' date='17 April 2010 - 03:08 AM' timestamp='1271488135' post='2384606']
exotics --

would be nice to hear some of the details/how the tech helped you, for those of us still screwed trying to synch with Macs. would be a big help and much appreciated. this problem seems to be widespread, among others. what ticks me off is that SkyCaddie MUST have known about the problem(s) and released the product to market anyway. it's bad business...

still hoping it's worth it in the end, but the unit i have right now is basically worthless, despite being advertised very clearly as Mac compatible. disappointing to say the least.
[/quote]

Mine works fine with my Mac with Snow Leopard

Gaff,

I was so excited to get my new SGX Friday so I completely understand your frustration when it didn't work right our of the box. I am sorry I am unable to tell you exactly what the tech at Skygolf did to fix my SGX the day I received it. Hopefully some of these posts can help you resolve your issues otherwise I would contact tech support and have them sign onto your MAC as I did.

I had an opportunity to use my new SGX over the weekend for 3 rounds. My course has not been mapped for the Holevue feature yet but the yardage and scoring features on club SG beta worked flawlessly. I was able to improve my scores by 3-6 strokes due to the accuracy of the SGX which helped me choose the proper clubs for shot selection and scoring. My putts felt much easier with the new SGX and I noticed an improvement while checking out my stats on club SG beta.

I am very happy with my purchase and I have no doubt in my mind Skygolf will work out all of the issues and provide updates.

Others may not agree and thats perfectly fine, but I can honestly the SGX was worth the wait and has lived up to the hype IMO.

I can't wait until they release the Smart Club Technology for my entire set which IMO will be absolutely amazing.

Can someone post some images of the views one would see during a round. Like on my 5 it is usually in the view that has the big yardage to center and the back center and front off to the left. Not sure what mode that's called. Thanks! Also what's your guys take on ruggedness/weather proofing?

[quote name='exotics' date='20 April 2010 - 12:45 AM' timestamp='1271738731' post='2389505']
Gaff,

I was so excited to get my new SGX Friday so I completely understand your frustration when it didn't work right our of the box. I am sorry I am unable to tell you exactly what the tech at Skygolf did to fix my SGX the day I received it. Hopefully some of these posts can help you resolve your issues otherwise I would contact tech support and have them sign onto your MAC as I did.

I had an opportunity to use my new SGX over the weekend for 3 rounds. My course has not been mapped for the Holevue feature yet but the yardage and scoring features on club SG beta worked flawlessly. I was able to improve my scores by 3-6 strokes due to the accuracy of the SGX which helped me choose the proper clubs for shot selection and scoring. My putts felt much easier with the new SGX and I noticed an improvement while checking out my stats on club SG beta.

I am very happy with my purchase and I have no doubt in my mind Skygolf will work out all of the issues and provide updates.

Others may not agree and thats perfectly fine, but I can honestly the SGX was worth the wait and has lived up to the hype IMO.

I can't wait until they release the Smart Club Technology for my entire set which IMO will be absolutely amazing.
[/quote]

Loving my SGX also. How did the SGX make your putts easier though?

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

[quote name='style2k7' date='20 April 2010 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1271740116' post='2389532']
[quote name='yahtzee' date='19 April 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1271718301' post='2388798']
Anyone coming from an SG5 that was used to the non-list view? Can it be turned off?
[/quote]

Yes list view can be turned off.
[/quote]

How?