2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Ping 4-Under vs. Sun Mountain 3.5

better choice?
I'm in the market for a new stand bag and decided I want to go as light as possible for walking. Right now I've got both a Cobra Sport and Cobra GT bag, both of which are on the heavier side. I've narrowed it down to the Ping 4-Under and the Sun Mountain 3.5. I actually had the 4-Under at one point and got rid of it because of the lack of a divider going down the middle. But, I think I could get over that if everything else was right. Then I saw the SM 3.5 and it seemed just as good, only with a 6 way top instead of a 4 way. Only problem with the SM is the stand design. I LOVE the Ping stands.

Which one would you guys suggest?

Cheers! drinks.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the mizuno GTS, better for me then those two you mentioned. Love the putter well and slide system plus the aero strap system is unreal in terms of comfort.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

The 3.5 is actually a tad heavier than the 4 under since they weigh the 3.5 without the strap and I believe the legs. I have the 4 under and it is the best carry bag I have ever owned. The 4 unders only flaw is that the clubs are difficult to get in and out when it is full. Minor set back.... Before the 4 under I used a 3.5 and the 4 under is a easier bag to carry.

Been using Ping for years and looked at the Sun Mts today due to all the good reviews. I noticed all the Sun Mts had straps that seem like one large cross stap vs two seperate straps. While I like crossing both straps on my current bag for longer walks, I just use one strp for the shorter walks.
Am I missing something or is this a problem with the Sun Mnt?
Thanks, Mac

Without a doubt go with the Ping, for exactly the reason you mention in your post: the stand mechanism. Nobody's stand mechanism comes close to Ping's for stability or reliability. I played nothing but Ping stand bags for years until last year when I switched to a Nike that a friend gave me because it had more pockets, and I am both kicking myself for that decision and saving my pennies to buy a 4 Under ASAP. I wish the 4 Under had a couple more pockets because I'm OCD about organizing my stuff, but it's definitely not worth the trade-off.

The only other company whose stand mechanism looks close to Ping's to me is Callaway. Whereas Ping's mechanism makes the entire bottom of the bag shift to keep the whole thing in contact with the ground, Callaway's stand bag has a kind of "false" bottom that shifts with the mechanism and stays in complete contact with the ground, while the actual bottom moves inside it. It looks like a pretty good idea because you still get way more base on the ground than most bags, and the Callaway bag has more pockets and dividers than a 4 Under, but I'd worry about the durability of the mechanism, because it's made out of plastic. If anyone has a Callaway bag and has good feedback about it, I'd be interested to hear it.

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

Lot of good feedback on many features of these bags, but not much mentioned about the straps. Is there a big difference in straps?
The Sun Mts have straps that seem like one large cross strap vs the Ping having two seperate straps. Does this make it harder for shot walks where you wouldn't want to use both straps?
Thanks, Mac

[quote name='Chicago Mac' date='04 May 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1273032165' post='2421983']
Lot of good feedback on many features of these bags, but not much mentioned about the straps. Is there a big difference in straps?
The Sun Mts have straps that seem like one large cross strap vs the Ping having two seperate straps. Does this make it harder for shot walks where you wouldn't want to use both straps?
Thanks, Mac
[/quote]
The SM is harder to carry with just one strap. It is designed to use both. The Ping can be carried with one or both no problem.

[quote name='Chicago Mac' date='05 May 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1273111288' post='2424115']
Any feedback from Sun Mnt users on how the combined strap system works vs the Ping have two seperate straps? While I like the duel straps for longer walks, I like only using one straps for shorter walks. Thanks ,Mac

[/quote]

Thats another reason why I think I'm leaning towards the Ping. I have a single strap stand that I use a lot, because I like the single strap. But it is nice being able to use 2 if you need too. I definitely like the straps on the Ping better than the SM. But I'm not sure what I think about the retractable strap. Any input?

Regarding the Sun Mountain strap system - the Superlight 3.5 has the strap you all are describing that works best when used on both shoulder but the Superlight SLX has the x-strap that works equally well carried as a single strap or as a double. If you are leaning toward the 3.5 and your only hold-up is the strap - look at the SLX as an option. I actually carry the Sun Mountain Swift X which is lighter than the 3.5 and has the x-strap but is smaller and with less dividers so may not be what you are looking for.

Hate to add to the confusion but you should take a look at the 2010 OGIO ozone, it has a cool 2 into 1 crossbow strap system. I would say that the stand system on the OGIO's is almost as good as that on the PING's.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

[quote name='freddy1682' date='06 May 2010 - 06:45 AM' timestamp='1273146310' post='2424672']
[quote name='Chicago Mac' date='05 May 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1273111288' post='2424115']
Any feedback from Sun Mnt users on how the combined strap system works vs the Ping have two seperate straps? While I like the duel straps for longer walks, I like only using one straps for shorter walks. Thanks ,Mac

[/quote]

Thats another reason why I think I'm leaning towards the Ping. I have a single strap stand that I use a lot, because I like the single strap. But it is nice being able to use 2 if you need too. I definitely like the straps on the Ping better than the SM. But I'm not sure what I think about the retractable strap. Any input?
[/quote]

In addition to wanting feedback on the difference between the combined strap system vs the two strap system, any feedback on the retractable strap? Thanks, Mac

just bought a taylormade pure lite and that thing is awesome and very comfortable and easy to carry. Coming off of ping hoofer 2 this bag seems weightless.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Yeah...Check out the Pure Lite. The strap system is very comfortable and the build quality is amazing. The 2010 bag from TaylorMade are completely different than any bags they have done before. The TM bags are now as good as their clubs.

If you stuck between the Ping and the SM bags, I would definitely go with the SM bag. Ping's stitching and build quality is not what it once was.

if you want the absolute lightest bag for walking i suggest the titleist ultra lightweight or the sun mountain swift x (same bag). i have the titleist version and it is around 3 lbs (empty). my bag is the 2008 version which uses a thinner and lighter material than the new 2010 version. the 2010 version may be a bit more durable but could be a tad heavier.

i walk 80% of the time so i wanted the lightest bag possible just like you. my bag has minimal pockets but it fits all 14 of my clubs, a wind breaker, balls, tees, towels, a rangefinder and has a water bottle holder. for my purposes that's all i need. it also has a valuables pocket for your watch and wallet which is a nice touch. the straps are very comfortable as well.

i will never go back "regular" stand bags as they seem too heavy after my set up. i just weighed my bag (fully loaded) and it is 12.5 lbs. can't beat that!

only gripe: sometimes the clubs get tangled as my bag only has 2 dividers but thats ok with me. the weight (or lack of it) makes up for this occasional problem.

• 9 months later...

I have a 4under it is the 2nd one ive had because the 1st one the material ripped all to peices and they made it good. The 2nd one that i have now the retractable strap quit working! These ping bags are the cheapest bags Ive ever seen My ping hoofer is 100 times better than this 4under junk! Im in the process of getting another bag and it will not be a Ping! I cannot not speak on the SM 3.5 as ive never owned one.