Deeper Right Elbow on Backswing

AcesAZ

Problems? More or less power?
Heres my swing on the range from couple days ago-

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=6298

Then heres my practice swing from today-

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=6297

Im trying to get my right elbow deeper or further away from my head to keep the club from getting laid off and shut? What kind of issues may this cause? Am I on the right track?

I guess my backswing would be closest to what Brady Riggs calls his #1 option. Except Im not that close IMO. My head does some crazy tilt, what causes that?

http://www.youtube.com/user/golfsaid#p/u/8/8urWIwgQDWc

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I should also really work on staying level or lowering some into the top of the backswing by keeping the right knee flex. Im straightening my right leg quite a bit which I think then causes me to get sucked into the ball a tad which I think causes my slight steepness. I come off the tush line. What kind of drills could I do?

[quote name='AcesAZ' date='25 April 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1272223369' post='2399840']
I think I should also really work on staying level or lowering some into the top of the backswing by keeping the right knee flex. Im straightening my right leg quite a bit which I think then causes me to get sucked into the ball a tad which I think causes my slight steepness. I come off the tush line. What kind of drills could I do?
[/quote]

Since no one else knows I figured it out myself. What is happenening is my left hip is dropping into my right causing the right leg to straighten out. Basically my hips are not rotating level at all. Im going to work on the reverse k setup and level hip turn. That should help fix the tush line violation and in turn steepness!

[quote name='AcesAZ' date='25 April 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1272231043' post='2400024']
[quote name='iteachgolf' date='25 April 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1272230174' post='2400008']
Why do you believe the hip turn should be level?
[/quote]

Well I figure so my right knee maintains flex and I dont reverse pivot?
[/quote]
No great ball striker I have ever seen maintains their right knee flex the same the entire backswing and none of them have level hips at the top. Swing academy doesn't work on my Mac for whatever reason but your old youtube swings if anything I think the hip turn is already too level and the right leg on the backswing has nothing to do with your issues. Your right leg actually has too much flex in it on the downswing causing your right foot to come way of the ground, you to early extend a tad, and not have much room for your arms at impact. IMO if you had more knee flex at the top you make a smaller turn, making it difficult to get deeper, and will only make lower body issues at impact worse.

[quote name='iteachgolf' date='25 April 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1272231732' post='2400043']
[quote name='AcesAZ' date='25 April 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1272231043' post='2400024']
[quote name='iteachgolf' date='25 April 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1272230174' post='2400008']
[/quote]

[/quote]
No great ball striker I have ever seen maintains their right knee flex the same the entire backswing and none of them have level hips at the top. Swing academy doesn't work on my Mac for whatever reason but your old youtube swings if anything I think the hip turn is already too level and the right leg on the backswing has nothing to do with your issues. Your right leg actually has too much flex in it on the downswing causing your right foot to come way of the ground, you to early extend a tad, and not have much room for your arms at impact. IMO if you had more knee flex at the top you make a smaller turn, making it difficult to get deeper, and will only make lower body issues at impact worse.
[/quote]

Yes I see what you are saying but why do I squat into the downswing so much? I agree I have little room for my hands and arms, Im trying to get my right cheek to move torwards the target in the backswing and start the downswing all from the left to create more room to attack from the inside.

[quote name='AcesAZ' date='25 April 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1272232480' post='2400062']
[quote name='iteachgolf' date='25 April 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1272231732' post='2400043']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes I see what you are saying but why do I squat into the downswing so much? I agree I have little room for my hands and arms, Im trying to get my right cheek to move torwards the target in the backswing and start the downswing all from the left to create more room to attack from the inside.
[/quote]
Right leg has to stay straighter longer. I'd work on small swings keeping heel down with what will feel to you like a straight right leg from the top of the swing all the way finish.

Similar to this student
[attachment=582534:Picture 1.png]
[attachment=582535:Picture 2.png]
[attachment=582536:Picture 3.png]

Thanks for the tips, I do have a couple vids on swingacedemy where my right heel is on the ground past impact, to be honest Im not sure how much difference it made ballflight wise. What kind of improvements does that or should that make, keeping the right heel down through impact? Thanks

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=5986

[quote name='iteachgolf' date='25 April 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1272234402' post='2400112']
It will give you more room for your arms allow you to hold angles longer and stay in tilts. Basically make your good shots happen more often. Can't watch video as Swingacademy never works for me, says finalizing and video never comes up.
[/quote]

Any draw backs? Reason I ask is I felt like I didnt clear through the ball as well, wasnt as open at impact, maybe hanging back some? I try to swing rotational without active arms and hands and I think I want to be as open as possible at impact. I was really working on my pivot when I videod with the heel down, does the right heel come up because of firing the right side too early? Seems like the right heel coming up would be bad for rotational guys, maybe OK for slingers. Heck I dont even know if my release is correct. I look kind of slingy myself I think. Im still too steep, club is coming right between my right and left eblows and intersecting my hands. Should be a little more inside I guess. My stupid follow though is way steep too, looks like dog sht and I hit it too high alot of the time. This fricken game frustrates the heck out of me, one day I hit it great the next day Im all over and scrambling my arse off. Guess thats the way it is for everyone though to a certain extent.

Allowing the right knee to straighten, not lock, gets the hips turning on it's correct pitch and allows the hands/arms to swing inward on the circle. Keeping the right knee flexed hinders your ability to utilize angular momentum. Check out how these guys turn back with steep shoulder and hip turns and how the hands move in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8sraEqFWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8D4eTmuFGg&feature=related

[quote name='iteachgolf' date='25 April 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1272249128' post='2400646']
By extending your legs (right leg straighter longer) you can turn faster all the while staying in your tilts and having plenty of room.
[/quote]

Here's a drill I've been doing lately with an alignment stick to monitor my right knee flex on the way down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA8dPHZEx5k

Nice drill mvmac.

I'd be interested to hear if iteach or other have similar drills to keep your right foot more grounded as I'm trying to correct for getting on my toes even before P5 (i think that's where the club is parallel to the ground on the downswing). This is correlated to my biggest swing flaw (imo) in that my head moves both towards the target and the ball during the downswing and maybe even at the end of the backswing.

Thanks.

Well I hit the ball great today, after my golfing buddy gave me a Hogan tip. Its to flex the lat muscles to keep the arms connected, just keep some tension almost like swinging with a glove under the armpits. Im not kidding the first swing after the tip I holed out from 185 to eagle a par 4. After that I missed only one green for the last 12 holes (210 par 3). :partytime2: I looked in the mirror and the swing is much shorter and very connected, but the thing is I was hitting it just as far but way more flush, consistent and straight.