2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What to tip a caddy?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. Some caddies get paid by the course plus collect tips. Some caddies rely solely on tips. It depends on the skill of the caddie. The kid that just lugs your bag around got $40/bag/round where I worked. The good caddies that told you where to hit shots, slope of the greens, help with club selection, read greens, etc got $70-80/bag/round. This was at a nicer country club where the caddies only got tips.

Ask the caddymaster or someone who works at the course.
Ask other golfers what they give.

PS. this has been asked a lot on here so I'm sure a search would pull up numerous useful posts for you.

I have/do caddie and forecaddie at a very nice course. I will just say that anything less than $100.00 for the round is sad. That being said, if you are using a caddie who is carrying your clubs, that $100.00 falls squarely on you. If you are using a forecaddie in a group with other players, the $100.00 can be divided up equally between the players.

Most people who use caddies or forecaddies don't understand that this is the guys full time job usually. They also don't understand how caddies at the club work. Caddies usually show up at around 6am to put their name on a list. The caddies that get there first, get the first group and you go down the list. Someone who is 10th on the list could easily be waiting for a loop until 11am. 5 hours later and you are done around 4pm. That totals 10 hours of work, not including commute time.

So if a caddie is tipped $100.00 then they are essentially making $10.00 per hour. It really blows my mind when I get done running around, cleaning clubs, reading greens, getting yardages, raking bunkers, and literally working my a$$ off for my players that someone in the group would have the balls to reach in their wallet and give me a $10 spot. That equals out to $2.00 an hour, come on, seriously?

Think of it this way.....I just provided you a service for 5 hours. If you went out to dinner with the family and spent $100.00 you would tip your waiter roughly $15-$20, and they just provided you a service for about 1 hour.

If you can't afford to tip a caddie well then you should not be playing at the course where caddies are used and you definitely shouldn't be getting a caddie just for yourself to carry your clubs for you.

well said pro. i can understand when people say that they didnt know how much to tip becuase they havent played the course before. often times if you havent played a course before you have talked to someone who has played the course before or are playing your round with someone who has played there. open your mouth and ask someone was the approiate ammt is to tip.

[quote name='PRO' date='02 June 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1275527761' post='2483292']
If you can't afford to tip a caddie well then you should not be playing at the course where caddies are used and you definitely shouldn't be getting a caddie just for yourself to carry your clubs for you.
[/quote]

Uhhh...no sir. This is not correct. If you cant afford the tip does not mean you should not play the course. Technically, tipping [b]is not[/b] a requirement. Nor is tipping a specific amount. Yes it is a custom and there are generally agreed upon amounts to tip, but it is not a requirement. Tipping is a gratuity, which means it is a voluntary payment. Im not arguing weather it is right or wrong and a person is most likely going to be considered an a-hole if they dont tip adequately. But, Im saying that in my opinion that saying someone should not play a course if they cant tip the amount you think they should is not correct.

Well I guess I am with PRO on this issue, no offense to the above poster. If you are either too cheap or can not afford to adequately compensate a caddie then you have no reason to make use of their services. If someone were to try and give me $10 or $20 for 5 hours of my time I'd get a roll of quarters (or two) and Rolan Ryan them. Put yourself in that guys shoes as think for a second. I would say anything less than $20/hour for someone who cleans/reads/finds/carries/etc. is an insult. If we are talking about a kid that does nothing but carry and can not help with distance, avoidance, reading, etc. $50 for the round is sufficient. I guess it is all relative to what kind of service you get. It is like paying someone $20 for washing your car vs $200 for detailing it -- the amount of pay should be proportional to the services.

As a point of reference I played the Atunyote course over the holiday weekend at Turning Stone (the fiancee wanted to go to the Spa for the weekend and play some golf) and both days I ended up giving the forecaddy (I prefer to walk and carry on my own -- something about the romanticism of walking the course on your own) who just tagged along for the walk to impart some local knowledge and stories $150 each day. So he did have to rake a bunker or two and help locate a ball but still I think that was fair compensation for 4 hours being that the fees to play as a two-some run just about $500.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

[quote name='PRO' date='02 June 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1275527761' post='2483292']
I have/do caddie and forecaddie at a very nice course. I will just say that anything less than $100.00 for the round is sad. That being said, if you are using a caddie who is carrying your clubs, that $100.00 falls squarely on you. If you are using a forecaddie in a group with other players, the $100.00 can be divided up equally between the players.

Most people who use caddies or forecaddies don't understand that this is the guys full time job usually. They also don't understand how caddies at the club work. Caddies usually show up at around 6am to put their name on a list. The caddies that get there first, get the first group and you go down the list. Someone who is 10th on the list could easily be waiting for a loop until 11am. 5 hours later and you are done around 4pm. That totals 10 hours of work, not including commute time.

So if a caddie is tipped $100.00 then they are essentially making $10.00 per hour. It really blows my mind when I get done running around, cleaning clubs, reading greens, getting yardages, raking bunkers, and literally working my a$$ off for my players that someone in the group would have the balls to reach in their wallet and give me a $10 spot. That equals out to $2.00 an hour, come on, seriously?

Think of it this way.....I just provided you a service for 5 hours. If you went out to dinner with the family and spent $100.00 you would tip your waiter roughly $15-$20, and they just provided you a service for about 1 hour.

[/quote]

If I understand your post correctly, you CHOSE to be a caddy, knowing your would be paid for TIME WORKED and not the time at the course. You mentio9ne these tasks: "running around, cleaning clubs, reading greens, getting yardages, raking bunkers, " One would reasonably presume that those tasks are considered to be an integral part of the job, not an extra, out of ordinary effort on the part of a caddy, correct?

You also mention this "I will just say that anything less than $100.00 for the round is sad." For what level of service is $25 / hour sad?

And then you posted this: "If you went out to dinner with the family and spent $100.00 you would tip your waiter roughly $15-$20" That's a 15%-20% tip based upon the listed price of food. If your stated rate is $60, then a 15% tip is $9 not $40.

Again, you chose to be a caddy, you were not forced.

Are you reporting all of you caddy income on your Federal and State tax returns?

[quote name='MS22' date='07 June 2010 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1275937022' post='2492660']
Well I guess I am with PRO on this issue, no offense to the above poster. If you are either too cheap or can not afford to adequately compensate a caddie then you have no reason to make use of their services. If someone were to try and give me $10 or $20 for 5 hours of my time I'd get a roll of quarters (or two) and Rolan Ryan them. Put yourself in that guys shoes as think for a second. I would say anything less than $20/hour for someone who cleans/reads/finds/carries/etc. is an insult. If we are talking about a kid that does nothing but carry and can not help with distance, avoidance, reading, etc. $50 for the round is sufficient. I guess it is all relative to what kind of service you get. It is like paying someone $20 for washing your car vs $200 for detailing it -- the amount of pay should be proportional to the services.

As a point of reference I played the Atunyote course over the holiday weekend at Turning Stone (the fiancee wanted to go to the Spa for the weekend and play some golf) and both days I ended up giving the forecaddy (I prefer to walk and carry on my own -- something about the romanticism of walking the course on your own) who just tagged along for the walk to impart some local knowledge and stories $150 each day. So he did have to rake a bunker or two and help locate a ball but still I think that was fair compensation for 4 hours being that the fees to play as a two-some run just about $500.
[/quote]

No offense, but you paid a guy $150 to walk around with you and provide no meaningful service?

As to the cost of a caddy, every caddy has a rating and that rating carries with it a stated rate / round. Anything over and above that rate is voluntary and is expressly dependent upon the expectation of service level of the player and not the caddy. There have a been a number of threads about what to pay caddies, and the underlying theme of all of them is that the caddy has a level of expectation in amount of payment which is unrelated to the level of service provided.

No meaningful service?

For four plus hours I had someone replace our divots, rake traps, help watch balls and locate them, acquire distances, provide insight as to how to play certain holes, repair ball marks, read greens, and most importantly act as a buffer between my fiancee and I! You spend every minute of 3 whole days with someone and you'll understand how beneficial a third party can be in keeping your sanity on a course that plays pretty tough.

Personally, I'd normally tip about $100 (at a nicer resort) but when you click and are comfortable with someone and they make your day more enjoyable why not throw them a little extra? The fees are also high and that is a factor for me. Not to mention I did alright at the tables too!

I have no issue with rewarding someone for doing their job to the best of their ability and taking pride in it, I do however have a problem with ignoring someone that does the same. So like I said, and you agreed with, if someone goes out of their way to be professional in all facets of their job reward them, if they half-a** it and just cary your bag and stand around feel free to half-a** your tip, just do not insult them. The setting also plays into it -- the caddies at my club probably do not get tips in excess of $75 a round but then again we do not host PGA quality events and most are high-school/college players themselves and really are only there to carry not go the extra mile.

On that note I am looking for a forecaddy for Bethpage in three weeks for myself and my brother.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

[quote name='swbyps' date='07 June 2010 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1275927824' post='2492226']
[/quote]

Uhhh...no sir. This is not correct. If you cant afford the tip does not mean you should not play the course. Technically, tipping [b]is not[/b] a requirement. Nor is tipping a specific amount. Yes it is a custom and there are generally agreed upon amounts to tip, but it is not a requirement. Tipping is a gratuity, which means it is a voluntary payment. Im not arguing weather it is right or wrong and a person is most likely going to be considered an a-hole if they dont tip adequately. But, Im saying that in my opinion that saying someone should not play a course if they cant tip the amount you think they should is not correct.
[/quote]

I hope quoting my own post isnt some type of forum faux pas (like not tipping ;)) but here goes....

Ill throw out an extreme hypothetical of my point. Lets say somehow I was to get invited to play at Augusta National. Just go out there and show up and play. I dont know if a caddy is required there or not, but lets say it is. Now weather or not I could afford to tip a caddy is 100% irrelevant as to weather or not I would or should play. If I was broke and didnt have .02c I would still play. And I bet 99.9% of the people here would too. I tell you what else...That caddy could call me an a-hole all the way from the 18th green to the parking lot. Although I would feel bad for not being able to tip him, it would be overshadowed by the fact that me and my 7 handicap just brought AN to its knees with a scintillating 103!

You know...that statement about "if you cant afford..." kind of goes back to a stigma that golf is really trying hard to get rid of. The thought that golf is a snobbish and elitist game meant for only a certain class of people. Now I know thats not what the OPs intent was and all that, so lets not start a riot over the opinion I just made.

Lastly for the record...If im going to play somewhere and plan on making use of the services of a caddy, then I will make plans to tip. But, I can tell you right now, I will never tip a caddy $100.

[quote name='MS22' date='07 June 2010 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1275941615' post='2492878']
No meaningful service?

For four plus hours I had someone replace our divots, rake traps, help watch balls and locate them, acquire distances, provide insight as to how to play certain holes, repair ball marks, read greens, and most importantly act as a buffer between my fiancee and I! You spend every minute of 3 whole days with someone and you'll understand how beneficial a third party can be in keeping your sanity on a course that plays pretty tough.

Personally, I'd normally tip about $100 (at a nicer resort) but when you click and are comfortable with someone and they make your day more enjoyable why not throw them a little extra? The fees are also high and that is a factor for me. Not to mention I did alright at the tables too!

I have no issue with rewarding someone for doing their job to the best of their ability and taking pride in it, I do however have a problem with ignoring someone that does the same. So like I said, and you agreed with, if someone goes out of their way to be professional in all facets of their job reward them, if they half-a** it and just cary your bag and stand around feel free to half-a** your tip, just do not insult them. The setting also plays into it -- the caddies at my club probably do not get tips in excess of $75 a round but then again we do not host PGA quality events and most are high-school/college players themselves and really are only there to carry not go the extra mile.

On that note I am looking for a forecaddy for Bethpage in three weeks for myself and my brother.
[/quote]

Respectfully, you are changing your story.

Your original post had this to say about the forecaddy: "I ended up giving the forecaddy (I prefer to walk and carry on my own -- something about the romanticism of walking the course on your own) who just tagged along for the walk to impart some local knowledge and stories.

Your new story is this: "For four plus hours I had someone replace our divots, rake traps, help watch balls and locate them, acquire distances, provide insight as to how to play certain holes, repair ball marks, read greens, .."

Quite different actually although the services you mention in the second explanation are basic requirements of a caddy

You also posted this: "if they half-a** it and just carry your bag and stand around feel free to half-a** your tip, just do not insult them"

Are you indicating that poor service is to be tipped?

I don't care how and I'm not suggesting how people pay for services. What I am pointing out is the level of service expected by the player from a caddy. Based upon the many posts in this and other threads about caddy pay and services, it seems that the expected level of service is quite low and usually doesn't include stepping onto the course and carrying the bag

Exactly correct. Forecaddy, basically the requirements of a caddy without the actual carrying of bags. Many courses provide forecaddies where riding is permitted. I falsely assumed we'd all be on the same page. I mean other than the divots and traps, which were thoughtful yet unnecessary, all we wanted was someone to serve as a guide to how the course plays. Though next time I'll be sure to include full details and descriptions including what we ate at the turn as well . . .

And yes, all service is to be tipped. Poor or not. I've had horrendous service many places yet never stiffed someone. You've never had a bad day? Never a poor showing on a professional level? I just took a job out of graduate school about 19 months ago and I sure have had a few off days so far. If some kid at my club were to caddy for me and do nothing save for carry my bag I'd still tip him because it is the appropriate thing to do.

And to further illustrate my point last year a member of my fathers club had a guest that did not tip his caddy (though the host member thought he did) and when the caddy master found out this kid received nothing the complaint went to the superintendent and onto the board where the member hosting the guest received a lengthy letter explaining how further infractions would not be tolerated, neither by him or his guests, and it is his duty to ensure proper etiquitte is followed.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

[quote name='MS22' date='07 June 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1275948100' post='2493174']
Exactly correct. Forecaddy, basically the requirements of a caddy without the actual carrying of bags. Many courses provide forecaddies where riding is permitted. I falsely assumed we'd all be on the same page. I mean other than the divots and traps, which were thoughtful yet unnecessary, all we wanted was someone to serve as a guide to how the course plays. Though next time I'll be sure to include full details and descriptions including what we ate at the turn as well . . .

And yes, all service is to be tipped. Poor or not. I've had horrendous service many places yet never stiffed someone. You've never had a bad day? Never a poor showing on a professional level? I just took a job out of graduate school about 19 months ago and I sure have had a few off days so far. If some kid at my club were to caddy for me and do nothing save for carry my bag I'd still tip him because it is the appropriate thing to do.

And to further illustrate my point last year a member of my fathers club had a guest that did not tip his caddy (though the host member thought he did) and when the caddy master found out this kid received nothing the complaint went to the superintendent and onto the board where the member hosting the guest received a lengthy letter explaining how further infractions would not be tolerated, neither by him or his guests, and it is his duty to ensure proper etiquitte is followed.
[/quote]

Here's what I don't understand. A tip is a gratuity, something provided because a service was done beyond the expected norm. You suggest that poor service is rewarded with a tip. That send a very poor message.

As to your story about your father's club, I'd say the superintendent and the board should be fired for having the gall to suggest to a member and a guest that a tip is mandatory. IT IS NOT, IT IS A TIP, A GRATUITY for service beyond the expected. Again, your example solidifies the belief that service of any quality is deserving of a tip.

For example, if I am on the first tee of a course I've not played and have a club caddy ranked higher than B, I expect, EXPECT the caddy to know the distance into and over any bunkers on the inside corner of the dogleg on every hole, I EXPECT them to know the carry distance to the front left / right of every green, I EXPECT them to know which greens are firmer, I EXPECT them to know which bunkers tend to hold water and have heavier sand, I EXPECT them to know how far into the green the false front continues and which greens run away from the player, I EXPECT them to know which fairways are usually softer than the rest of the course, I EXPECT them to know which doglegs fall away from the intended line of play, and I EXPECT them to know the depths of all greens. That is basic information. I EXPECT this information to be provided without asking for it. A bogey golfer would not expect this type of information and would think the caddy has done something special if the information was provided. It's all about expectations

I was always taught that the level of service dictates the amount of tip. When we go out to nice restaurants (we love steakhouses) we begin the evening at a 15% rate of gratuity. If we receive exemplary service (which we always get at Ruth's Chris), that gratuity goes up to 20%. If we received less than the expected level (say, my glass has been empty for 15 minutes) the gratuity amount goes down to as little as 10%. when you are talking about a bill in excess of $250 for two people, the 5%- 10% adjustment makes a difference.
Now if I may...I am playing Pelican Hill in a few weeks. The greens fee is $250 and includes the forecaddie but not the tip. If I each person in the group were to tip the forecaddie 15% then the gratuity would be $150 from the entire group. a great starting point. But what happens when he gives us bad putting reads and bad driving lines and bad yardages to hazzards? Am I ok deducting from the 15% gratuity rate? I think so. Keep in mine, I can make bad reads, pick bad driving lines and miss guess yardages all by myself (rarely happens) but the point is, if the forecaddie is included in the greens fee and he is not helping me out, what am I paying him for?

Driver - Ping G430 9.0*  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 60 stiff 
3W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

7W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

4 Hybrid - Ping G425 AD DI 95S
Irons - Ping i525 Black dot Project x IO S
Wedges -Artisan 54* & 58* Modus 115 S
Putter - Evnroll ER2 Classic

[quote name='gr8 flopshot' date='07 June 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1275961155' post='2493705']
but the point is, if the forecaddie is included in the greens fee and he is not helping me out, what am I paying him for?
[/quote]

Thanks for that post. I was getting the impression that I was the only one who understood the concept of tipping. I'm playing Whistling Straits next week and if the caddies are like any I've had in the past, they are worthless. However, they aren't bashful in trying to pull everything out of my carry bag, regardless of how poor the weather is, and they aren't bashful about endlessly hinting at tips. They have become accustomed to getting big tips for doing nothing other than toting a bag for people who rarely use caddies, can't break 90 at No Trees or Bunkers in Sight Golf Club on a good day, and think that getting a yardage to the center of the greens constitutes great advice.

All I can say is that someone's EXPECTations may be unrealistically high.

Service of any quality, no, of most, yes.

Perhaps I come from a different school of thought. I do not tip based on the predication that someone went so far out of their way, that they were the absoltue master in all facets of their craft, to help me that I am willing to compensate them. Perhaps, as a realist, I do not EXPECT perfection from an 18-year old caddy? And therefore I do not, can not, justify stiffing the poor kid a tip because I am delusional in thinking if someone can not cater to my every inquiry with 100% correct unwavering answers all of the time they are somehow unworthy of any compensation. I will re-affirm my position in that compensation should be directly proportional to the service being given; i.e. better service = better gratuity.

But then again, I tend to tip nearly everyone that provides a service I take advantage of. Right down to the guy in my neighborhood that lost his job and is helping supplement his wife's income by landscaping to my tailor, hairdresser, and club builder. My father always told me to "take care of the people that take care of you"; and not just from a monetary standpoint. Maybe take a job receiving tips for a few nights and see life from the other end. I bartended from 19-24 in college and graduate school and it was invaluble.

And for what it is worth I hope you enjoy WS. My father and his business partner just got back from a meeting in Minneapolis and they made the 5+ hour trip out to Kohler to play WS and BWR -- he said it was worth the drive and the money any day.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

[quote name='MS22' date='08 June 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1276007960' post='2494685']

Perhaps I come from a different school of thought. I do not tip based on the predication that someone went so far out of their way, that they were the absoltue master in all facets of their craft, to help me that I am willing to compensate them. Perhaps, as a realist, I do not EXPECT perfection from an 18-year old caddy? And therefore I do not, can not, justify stiffing the poor kid a tip because I am delusional in thinking if someone can not cater to my every inquiry with 100% correct unwavering answers all of the time they are somehow unworthy of any compensation. I will re-affirm my position in that compensation should be directly proportional to the service being given; i.e. better service = better gratuity.

But then again, I tend to tip nearly everyone that provides a service I take advantage of. Right down to the guy in my neighborhood that lost his job and is helping supplement his wife's income by landscaping to my tailor, hairdresser, and club builder. My father always told me to "take care of the people that take care of you"; and not just from a monetary standpoint. Maybe take a job receiving tips for a few nights and see life from the other end. I bartended from 19-24 in college and graduate school and it was invaluble.

And for what it is worth I hope you enjoy WS. My father and his business partner just got back from a meeting in Minneapolis and they made the 5+ hour trip out to Kohler to play WS and BWR -- he said it was worth the drive and the money any day.
[/quote]

We'll have to agree to disagree. Caddies have ratings and the higher the rating the higher the base rate and the higher the quality and service.

My son caddied, my daughters schlepped plates of food, they understood that a tip is a gratuity and not an expectation. They understood that the quality of service provided equated to the amount of tip or lack thereof. They also understood and understand that each 'client' has their own expectations of service and it is up to them to understand that expectation. Me, I sell for a living so I'm all about exceeding expectations. If I have unhappy customers they either don't buy much or go elsewhere and that impacts me directly. I have friends who have the same perception of service that I do, and I have friends who give tip if someone says hello to them. It's all about expectations and with the prices that caddies charge, the expectation level for me is higher for an Honor or Captain rated caddy than for a B or A caddy. If no one ever sets expectations, how will the caddy ever improve?

[quote name='MS22' date='08 June 2010 - 07:39 AM' timestamp='1276007960' post='2494685']

[/quote]

I have worked in job that was "tip-centric" and i busted my a$$ every single night because my dad taught me not to do anything half-a$$ed. If I wanted a tip, I was willing to work for it. You try valet parking cars in a major metropolitan city. I opened doors for guys in Range Rovers and got $1 tip for opening 4 doors and bringing the car quickly. THAT IS wrong but I didn't work any less when i went to get the next car and the Honda Accord got the same service as the SL600 Mercedes v12 AMG. The point is that my expectations for a tip were high because i was busting my a$$. if i was slacking off i would have expected a small tip. A gratuity is an expression of gratitude for the people in the service industry. If you do nothing for me, what am I supposed to be grateful for?
make no mistake. The wait staff at my favorite restaurants know that i am a great tipper and they give us the biggest smiles and warn us when certain dishes are not "great" on the evenings we are there. They call us by name and I NEVER see the bottom of my glass and we never have to sak for anything twice.

Driver - Ping G430 9.0*  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 60 stiff 
3W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

7W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

4 Hybrid - Ping G425 AD DI 95S
Irons - Ping i525 Black dot Project x IO S
Wedges -Artisan 54* & 58* Modus 115 S
Putter - Evnroll ER2 Classic

I am sorry for folks who could care less about others. Birdy boy most likely is the type of golfer who believes , I paid my money so I will take my time playing with no reguard for the others on the course. Sorry to point you out however it is just respect of others to tip the caddie well for their time. I agree that if you do not want to be part of society you should stick to courses where caddies are not required. I would guess you are a 5% tipper when you go out to eat. Forget about the right and wrong of tipping we get it, not a requirement and look at it as helping out someone. Do you put all of your saved tip money in a jar and smile at it because you saved so much. I understand that you can do what you want it is your right so smile at your jar and be happy .

[quote name='MS22' date='07 June 2010 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1275948100' post='2493174']

[/quote]

I caddied at a country club growing up. There was a set fee for the caddies and that was what we got paid, period. The club had a strict rule against tipping. I didn't complain, the base rate was good and you never had to worry about it.

Customs vary.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

[quote name='kesler' date='09 June 2010 - 08:22 AM' timestamp='1276089760' post='2497512']
I am sorry for folks who could care less about others. Birdy boy most likely is the type of golfer who believes , I paid my money so I will take my time playing with no reguard for the others on the course. Sorry to point you out however it is just respect of others to tip the caddie well for their time. I agree that if you do not want to be part of society you should stick to courses where caddies are not required. I would guess you are a 5% tipper when you go out to eat. Forget about the right and wrong of tipping we get it, not a requirement and look at it as helping out someone. Do you put all of your saved tip money in a jar and smile at it because you saved so much. I understand that you can do what you want it is your right so smile at your jar and be happy .
[/quote]

As a Charter Golfwrx member, you do realize how you have, in this post, committed multiple violations of the terms of use of the website don't you? Keep it up, and I'll be more than happy to report you

I am sorry if I offened you. If you choose to report me go ahead that is your right as a member. I read all of you posts and found some of your remarks to be offensive also. Just because a person chooses to be a caddy [b](you CHOSE to be a caddy[/b]) what does that mean? Again you have every right to your outlook as to tipping it just seemed you were bothered by the others that did not agree with you. I grew up in the restaurant business and I understand the right to these kids being tipped well unless they were outright rude. Your question about [b]paying taxes[/b] was also uncalled for. You can be honest back with me about your feelings on my posts however you won't offened me and I will not threaten to report you. I guess for me your statements were just disrespectful to all the caddies. I like you have the right to express how I feel about anothers posts.

[quote name='kesler' date='10 June 2010 - 06:44 AM' timestamp='1276170292' post='2500241']
I am sorry if I offened you. If you choose to report me go ahead that is your right as a member. I read all of you posts and found some of your remarks to be offensive also. Just because a person chooses to be a caddy [b](you CHOSE to be a caddy[/b]) what does that mean? Again you have every right to your outlook as to tipping it just seemed you were bothered by the others that did not agree with you. I grew up in the restaurant business and I understand the right to these kids being tipped well unless they were outright rude. Your question about [b]paying taxes[/b] was also uncalled for. You can be honest back with me about your feelings on my posts however you won't offened me and I will not threaten to report you. I guess for me your statements were just disrespectful to all the caddies. I like you have the right to express how I feel about anothers posts.
[/quote]

I made no previous post to you in this thread. My posts to which you refer to specific to someone complaining about earnings and disparaging those who were required to use a caddy and paid what they felt was the appropriate amount. You on the other hand made disparaging remarks about me with no cause or provocation. I find your post reprehensible.

Is there some confusion in this thread?

The thread title is "What to tip a caddy?" ... there is a difference between a [i]tip[/i] and [i]paying the salary[/i] of a caddy.

One course in my area requires caddies for certain times of the day. Their pay is included in the greens fees. They're getting paid, no matter what, in that case. Anything I give them at the end of the round is a [i]tip[/i]. The tip is usually $20/bag. That's a tip.

What some of you are describing is paying 100% of the caddies salary for the round or day because it is not included in the greens fees or paid up front in the pro shop before your round. In that case, depending on the area and the course and the caddy's experience, anything from $50 to $100, plus tip, is the norm.

I've seen on this website, and others, the topic of caddy fees and tipping brings out the worst in people. And on top of that, the OP rarely receives any useful advice.

I've asked this question before, but I'll try it again. I'm wondering what the standard TIP is at a mid-level country club. Is it 50 to 100% of the caddy fee depending on service. For example, caddy fee is $20, $10 tip for average service, $20 for outstanding service. I think what people are looking for with these posts is a general rule of thumb that they can apply when playing different courses. If I play Pebble or Whistling Straights or some other high end daily fee or resort course with a $100 caddy fee, I would think to tip $50 to $100 on top of the caddy fee. Is that right?

[quote name='neild76' date='14 June 2010 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1276534765' post='2508205']
If I play Pebble or Whistling Straights or some other high end daily fee or resort course with a $100 caddy fee, I would think to tip $50 to $100 on top of the caddy fee. Is that right?
[/quote]

What one pays is always dependent upon one's expectation of the caddy. I mention that in almost all of my posts but most readers here don't seem to grasp that reality.

I played Whistling Straits last week with a buddy of mine, joining two other people we did not know. My buddy and the other two guys gave the caddies a work out. On every hole, tee shots of at least 2 of the three were in the high hay, as well as second shots and shots around the green. Their expectation of the caddies was to find the ball and point the direction of the next shot. I rarely asked for any information and when I did it was to get some clarification on the tee shot landing areas (vs my GPS information) or particular contours of the green so I would know which side of the hole a shot should be aimed to have a better putt. I received poor information every time. For example, I was 6 over through 16, and had hit the ball pretty well all day. On 17, we were about 220 and slightly downwind but not a wind of consequence. It's common knowledge that the green is firm but both caddies suggested hitting a 210 shot. I hit a shot to the front of the green, about 185, it released and left me a putt of about 10 feet. Both caddies told me it was right-to-left with about a 2 foot break even though it read left edge. It was left edge putt. They gave these types of reads all day to all four of us Both caddies in the group have been there for 7 years. Without the GPS I would have been playing blind from the tee. My point here is that you need to determine what you want the caddy to provide you in service level based upon your ability to hit golf shots. I give them credit for moving us around in 4:20. Without prodding, with the vast number of balls in the hay, it could have been 6+ hours for the round just to look for balls. Had I been playing with my usual guys who are all low single digit handicaps, this would have been an uneventful round and the caddies would not have been much value other than to carry the bag. I gave my caddy an additional $40 per person because of all the searching he needed to do for the guy I was playing the round with, not for any course knowledge they provided. A couple of times they told me the GPS was wrong. I hit a tee shot based upon the GPS-the caddies were wrong and had I followed their advice, I would have hit it into the hay.

Thanks for being so helpful. On Kohler's website it lists the caddy fee as $60 and recommended tip as $35. What I've been trying to find out, and nobody seems to be able to articulate in a one line answer, is a general rule of how much the tip should be as a percetage of the fee. I'm going to go with the tip as 50% of the fee, and adjust up or down depending the level of service I receive.

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1276609286' post='2510431']
Thanks for being so helpful. On Kohler's website it lists the caddy fee as $60 and recommended tip as $35. What I've been trying to find out, and nobody seems to be able to articulate in a one line answer, is a general rule of how much the tip should be as a percetage of the fee. I'm going to go with the tip as 50% of the fee, and adjust up or down depending the level of service I receive.
[/quote]

There is not a general rule. As my playing buddy asked when we were there, why not tip 15% like at a restaurant and 20% if they are really good? He's a high net worth guy and money has little meaning to him but caddies don't exist where he lives so he had the same question you do. The difficulty is that folks overpay for the service because they set low expectations and then they are achieved. When someone has higher expectations and they aren't met and don't pay the higher tip, the caddies get offended. The caddies we had did mention taht the amount of tip increases as the ability of the golfer decreases. They said really good plaeyrs don't tip much.

HERE"S AN ANSWER THAT WILL HELP YOU. Herb Kohler plays 10 minutes prior to the first tee time on weekends. He uses the same caddy each time. That caddy gets the flat rate plus $10. IF his regular caddy is unavailable, no one, absolutely no one wants to caddy for Kohler because they know they will not have able to gouge the golfer and get a huge, unwarranted tip. If I were to play there again with my regular guys of low handicaps, we would pay what Herb does. There really isn't much the caddy can tell us if we have a GPS and a yardage book. The only piece of information the caddies have and the player can not get, on the Straits course, is the hole location sheet. That IMO is wrong. Herb didn't want to have yardage books or have SkyGolf map his courses either, but the customers demanded it and he caved in.